Chapter 1: On the Hunt

TheFred

There are gunshots... then Mack emerges from the trees a moment later and explains that he drove away some kobolds who had been gorging themselves on the radishes that grow here. For some reason the kobolds seemed particularly attached to the vegetables, but quickly fled when they realised that they were outgunned.

OoC

New characters (except Shenoah) - feel free to jump in as if you've always been here.

Newt might have chosen to have left his wagon behind somewhere, most likely at Front Courage or the prospecting village.

spacer.png Jen Klazcka, Bounty Hunting Priestess

Jen had one hand on the hilt of the pistol at her waist, but relaxed and let her hand fall away from it as Mack came in with his report, petting her horse Avalanche on the back of his head to soothe her steed. "All right, so remind me where we're headed next." She gave her head a rueful shake. "Got caught up in mah own thoughts."

Quick Statblock

HP: 22/22  AC: 17 Touch AC: 13

Current Active Effects: None

Shotgun: 100 rounds Pistol: 100 rounds

Statblock

[URL=http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2837929][B][SIZE=+1]Jennifer Klazcka[/SIZE][/B][/URL]
Female Neutral Human Cleric, [B]Level[/B] 3, [B]Init[/B] 1, [B]HP[/B] 22/22, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]AC[/B] 17, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 5, [B]Ref[/B] 2, [B]Will[/B] 6, [B]CMB[/B] +2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 2   
[B]Misfire 1-2 Masterwork Shotgun (530 gp) (100 Rounds) [/B] +4 (1d8, x2)
[B]Misfire 1, 6 shots before reload Revolver (400 gp) (100 Rounds) [/B] +3 (1d8, x4)
[B]  Dagger [/B] +2 (1d4, x2)
[B]  Chain Shirt[/B] (+4 Armor, +1 Dex, +1 Misc)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 10, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 17, Cha 12
[B]Condition[/B] None 

Edited by Erico (see edit history)

BuzzToken.png.cb7b4380ef608aefc0b45c53815fbfe0.pngBuzz Barton • Magus (Eldritch Archer & Hexcrafter) • AC: 18 • HP: 23/23 • Speed: 30 ft • Senses: Perception +5
STR: 0 • DEX: +4 • CON: +2 • INT: +3 • WIS: -1 • CHA: -1 • Languages: Common, Orcish, Draconic, Ulfen

Feats: Precise Shot (Combat), Toppling Spell (Metamagic), Rapid Shot (Combat), Amateur Gunslinger (Combat): Deadeye (Ex)

Class abilities • Arcane Pool (Su) • Ranged Weapon Bond (Ex) • Ranged Spell Combat (Ex) • Ranged Spellstrike (Su) • Magus Arcana: Wand Wielder (Su)

Skills: Acrobatics +4, Appraise +3, Bluff -1, Climb 0, Diplomacy -1, Disable Device +4, Disguise -1, Escape Artist +4, Fly +4, Handle Animal +2, Heal -1, Intimidate +5, Knowledge (Arcana) +9, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +9, Perception +5, Perform -1, Ride +11, Sense Motive -1, Sleight of Hand +7, Spellcraft +9, Stealth +4, Survival -1, Swim 0, Use Magic Device -1

Buzz shakes his head to clear the cobwebs, "You were gone for ages, Mack. I was just about to come in there after you. You coulda needed a rescue from them little varmints."

"Vekkel Benzen, that cantankerous old timer at the edge of town, he said to look for the bandit's hideout south of the river. Mack here reckons he can find the spot where the river bends but I reckon his mind is going too on account of his many senior years. Don't tell me you fergot this, Miss Jen?" Buzz wasn't actually very young, nor Mack very old, but the decade that separated them was enough to make it an ongoing joke between them.

"I'm just after the reward myself, mebbe do a bit a good on the way, make folk's lives easier by keepin' the raiders outta town. Can't say we've had much luck so far but I reckon our luck's on the turn for the better."

Spells

~Cantrips~

Dancing Lights

Daze

Mage Hand

Prestidigitation

~First Level~

Ray of Enfeeblement

Ray of Enfeeblement

Mage Armour

Magic Missile (Toppling Spell)

Arcane Pool: 5

Grit: 1

spacer.png

"Newt" Gaspard • Cattle Rustler

Newt rooted in the leather pouch fastened to his belt. With pinched fingers he selected two sun-cured tobacco leaves and a pinch of red weed gathered that morning. He set about the work, grinding the leaves to shards between calloused thumbs, adding weed by measure. As he worked, he listened: distantly the cracking blast of gunfire ruptured the forest silence. Newt paused his work and listened as the sounds wandered aimless among the larches and spruce. One might imagine that, from the treeline, a murder of crows exploded skyward in black frenzy. Soon a tight cylinder was formed, bound by a tapered strip of husk. The sharp scent of the tobacco filled his nostrils. In the aftermath there was only the dry rasp of wind and the steady dripping of pine sap. Another shot sounded remote, then hush fell once more. Quiet fell heavily, as if the trees themselves held their breath in anxious suspense.

Newt struck a flame to the ridged strip of flint fixed to his belt. Cupping his hand, he drew the fire to the cigarette tip, inhaling the acrid smoke deep within. Exhaling a gray plume, he watched the tendrils writhe and fray apart, scattered on the heavy air.

From the shadowed woods emerged Mack. Newt took another draw and considered the gunshots' remnants echoing the glade, as about the clearing life resumed its usual order in the vast and solid quiet. Newt stirred the embers of his cigarette in the dirt, chewing silently on a twist of smoke. Gray eyes traced wisps uncoiling into ash.

"That ole timer knows more than he lets on," Newt mumbled in reply to Barton. "Sure knows how to keep folks guessin'."

"C'mon now girl, let's see what Mack's got to say," He hauled himself stiffly into the gray mare's saddle. Little Lady stood quiet, her breath clouding pale in the cold air. He shifted his rifle to a slant across his lap, lay rein against her flank. Newt turned the mare's head and put her slowly forward with a whisper. She moved gently towards Mack.

"We'll lose light 'fore we know it. Best we cut a path faster," Newt eyed the younger man keen as a coyote on a kill. His breath steamed in white wisps, caught in his throat as he hacked a raw, filled cough. Clearing his lungs, he spat a glob of gray onto the cold earth. A drag from his cigarette soothed the irritated passages. "Say Mack, see anythin' worth salvagin' back at that mess them no-goods left? Vittles? Or was it all tracks and trash after you tore them up?"

Edited by Choomie (see edit history)

Mack Cartwright
O8ngRC7.png

"Those varmints were all out of their gourd. Damn near walked into my bullets 'fore they realized they should skedaddle," Mack said.

He produced a couple of the radishes the kobolds had so zealously defended, holding them in his handkerchief he presented them for Newt and the others to have a look.

"All thanks to these here radishes. I know a bender when I see one. Good money could be made selling these things to the critters."

Then, recalling the exchange between Buzz & Newt he added, "And thank you for pointing out to this whipper-snapper the value of age and experience. As I was just tellin' him, I know these rivers and brambles like the back of my hand. I'm sure we'll come up on that bend in the river soon enough, this way!"

Whether he truly believed he knew the way or was simply full of false bravado, he sure sounded confident. He turned Lady around and expertly guided her off in the direction he thought they should go.

OOC and Actions

Mack Cartwright-------------------------
HP: 18 (22 base, -7 ettercap, +3 sleep) - 2 DEX dmg
AC: 18 (10 base, +4 DEX, +5 armor, -1 DEX dmg)
Lady (Mack's horse) HP: 13 (15 base, -6 spider, +2 sleep, +2 treat wounds)
Hands: Reins

===== Reactions =====

===== Actions =====

Ongoing Effects and Daily Use Things

Ongoing Effects:

Remaining Resources:
Grit/Luck/Panache: 4/4
Martial Flexibility: 4/4
Inspiration: 0/1
Metal Cartridges: 94/100
Silver Cartridges: 20/20
Healer's Kit: 14/20

Edited by OzzyKP (see edit history)
Name
Knowledge (nature) to get info on the radishes
1d20+5 11

Mack inspects the radishes, which seem like unusual specimens; they look similar to normal radishes, but he believes that this particular variety only grows in this region. So far as he can tell they aren't magical and are perfectly edible.

Deciding not to question Mack any further, the rest of the group follow him as he strikes out boldly - though not necessarily correctly - in a direction. Whether it's the right direction is anyone's guess, and after a little riding around in the woods the more sceptical amongst the bandit-hunters might be starting to think that it isn't.

The group pass through wildflower glades and sun-dappled clearings, inhabited only by the small animals of the woodland and seemingly untouched by any human or dwarf... what they do not pass, however, is the river, which is surprising since the only way they could keep riding for so long and not eventually hit it would be if they were riding around in circles.

After quite some time, however, as the group emerge from beneath the shade of the trees onto a small hillock, Mack's sharp eyes spot something - a thin wisp of smoke rising about the treeline. It seems as though someone has a camp not too far from here - and they seem to be cooking.

Jen carefully listened as they neared the sight of a cookfire's smoke on the horizon, seeing if trouble was near...

Quick Statblock

Statblock

[URL=http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2837929][B][SIZE=+1]Jennifer Klazcka[/SIZE][/B][/URL]
Female Neutral Human Cleric, [B]Level[/B] 3, [B]Init[/B] 1, [B]HP[/B] 22/22, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]AC[/B] 17, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 5, [B]Ref[/B] 2, [B]Will[/B] 6, [B]CMB[/B] +2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 2   
[B]Misfire 1, 6 shots before reload Revolver (400 gp) (100 Rounds) [/B] +3 (1d8, x4)
[B]Condition[/B] None 

Edited by Erico (see edit history)
Name
Perception/Listen
1d20+3 17

BuzzToken.png.cb7b4380ef608aefc0b45c53815fbfe0.pngBuzz Barton • Magus (Eldritch Archer & Hexcrafter) • AC: 18 • HP: 23/23 • Speed: 30 ft • Senses: Perception +5
STR: 0 • DEX: +4 • CON: +2 • INT: +3 • WIS: -1 • CHA: -1 • Languages: Common, Orcish, Draconic, Ulfen

Feats: Precise Shot (Combat), Toppling Spell (Metamagic), Rapid Shot (Combat), Amateur Gunslinger (Combat): Deadeye (Ex)

Class abilities • Arcane Pool (Su) • Ranged Weapon Bond (Ex) • Ranged Spell Combat (Ex) • Ranged Spellstrike (Su) • Magus Arcana: Wand Wielder (Su)

Skills: Acrobatics +4, Appraise +3, Bluff -1, Climb 0, Diplomacy -1, Disable Device +4, Disguise -1, Escape Artist +4, Fly +4, Handle Animal +2, Heal -1, Intimidate +5, Knowledge (Arcana) +9, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +9, Perception +5, Perform -1, Ride +11, Sense Motive -1, Sleight of Hand +7, Spellcraft +9, Stealth +4, Survival -1, Swim 0, Use Magic Device -1

"Question here is, are they friend or foe?" Buzz asks the others, "Anyone here skilled at the ways of stealth and silence? I'm more've a charge in, guns blazing, kinda guy."

Spells

~Cantrips~

Dancing Lights

Daze

Mage Hand

Prestidigitation

~First Level~

Ray of Enfeeblement

Ray of Enfeeblement

Mage Armour

Magic Missile (Toppling Spell)

Arcane Pool: 5

Grit: 1

spacer.png

"Newt" Gaspard • Cattle Rustler

The campfire's consequence rose in the distance like an altar, a faint wisp against the faded land. Newt had ridden rearward, his gaze drawn to the wandering quartet of shadows belonging to his fellow travelers; it was a painting from the sky itself, and it near-matched the mellow from his cigarette. Age had molded his spine, once ramrod, bent into a saddle's curve. Weathered, sweat-marked with dust, all testimony to his mileage. A short cough, then a laugh-grunt at Buzz's words before more smoke billowed from his mouth. His look was fixed on the man, his eyes appraising him, weighting him. The question hung in the still air and stirred there over the heads of the mismatched vigilantes perched atop a hillock.

"Easy now," he said. His mind drifted to the craftier days of yesteryear. "You don't get to my age with unabashedness. Maybe you've gotten far with bashing pots and pans, but in my day, we done moved herds through smooth country like the tide of progress. CircumspectionI'm talking about some of that ode-fashioned skulduggery, my boy. I reckon we'll do O-K, just promise me we'll ease up on the mustard this go around."

He paused to quickly calculate something resembling cunning, "I say we venture down a little further, and see how much longer until soup's on. Y'know, see about their measure and meaning afore they even know we were there. If fortune favors us, maybe we can snatch a bowl of what's-cooking and skip the radishes this time. No offense, Mack."

Edited by Choomie (see edit history)

Mack Cartwright
O8ngRC7.png

Mack not only took no offense, he responded with a large grin, "Newt, you are a man after my own heart. Of all my riding partners, your loquacious elocution is the only one to keep up with me."

He removed his hat and used his red handkerchief to wipe the sweat on his brow and said, "I do believe a bit of circumspection is warranted."

He did his best to emulate Newt's pronunciation of the word with a chuckle.

"Let's ride a bit further and then leave the horses with the tyke so he can bang his pans."

Keeping the direction of the smoke in mind, he led the group back inside the treeline so as not to be noticed riding across the clearing. Once they came as close to the camp as he dared, he dismounted Lady and handed the reins to Buzz.

"See, I knew I'd find my way. We may have gotten the drop on the bandits already," he said and moved as near silently in the direction of the 'bandits'.

OOC and Actions

Hands: Nothing

Stealth (1 rank, +4 DEX, +3 class)

===== Actions =====

Ongoing Effects:

Remaining Resources:

Edited by OzzyKP (see edit history)
Name
Stealth
1d20+8 20

Agreeing on discretion over zeal, the group head on through the woods, towards the smoke. You soon lose sight of it over the trees, but know it must be near... but before coming upon the camp you hear the sound of running water nearby. It seems that you have reached the northward bank of the river, and are separated from the water by only a screen of trees and a short, but steep, downward slope.

Cautiously, Mack dismounts and continues towards where he remembered the camp to be on foot - making remarkably little noise. It doesn't take long before, peeking through some bushes, he sees movement ahead. Down below, and still some distance away, is a makeshift camp, with a large fire in the middle. He sees a man crouching over a pot, clearly cooking something or other, and another sat nearby sharpening a knife. There are several tents pitched, however, suggesting that this there are more than the two of them in the party, and the amount of clutter about suggests that at least some of them have been here for a little while at least.

Mack Cartwright
O8ngRC7.png

"Found them!" Mack thinks. He wished Buzz were with him so he could give him an "I told you so" look after his younger partner's doubts about Mack's great sense of direction. Instead he looks to his fellow skulkers and points toward the camp, silently telling them to move forward. He hoped to get close enough to hear their conversation.

OOC and Actions

Hands: Nothing

===== Actions =====

Stealth (1 rank, +4 DEX, +3 class, -1 DEX dmg)

Perception (3 ranks, +2 WIS, +3 class)

Ongoing Effects:

Remaining Resources:

Name
Stealth
1d20+7 5
Perception
1d20+8 4

Unfortunately, whilst Mack's ridge gives him an excellent vantage point of the camp below, he's too far away to hear any conversation - at least, not any distinguishable words.

As he watches, another figure comes into view - this one more familiar. It's one of the men from the saloon at Front Courage, the one called Happs who seemed to be the boss. He speaks with the man stirring the fire, growing more animated as though cross about something. The cook gestures in the direction of the river, but keeps on tending to his pot.

Hunkered low to the ground, with her hat even pulled back to deny its distinctive silhouette to anyone who might look in her direction, Jen noted the discussion before looking to the others. With a small nod of her head to the side down towards everyone else, she asked a question that needed no words.

What's the play here?

Quick Statblock

Statblock

[B]Condition[/B] None