Chapter 1: On the Hunt

TheFred

spacer.png

"Newt" Gaspard • Cattle Rustler

The trees stood sentinel above and cast a sullen, ashenhue mood over Newt's head. For a moment he looked up, admiring the gnarled branches spreading a darkening pall across the hillside. All else seemed fallow in the bower that the posse found themselves in.

Gaspard moved low through the grass, inch by slow inch, like a worm of the earth. A gloved finger rose to his lips, and on creaking knees he drew a little closer. He brandished his sidearm, a single action revolver from his service years. It was a friend in his hand. He paused and lent an ear to the squabble; from down the glade harsh voices carried on the windless air, but the words were indistinct to him.

"What's the word, man?" Newt said to Mack, barely audible. "I can't make out what they're yammerin' about, but it don't sound too friendly to me. I reckon we oughta stay and see how many they got holed up in camp. We might be lucky enough to get the drop on the damn fools. Your call."

He lingered in the tree-shadow's lee. The camp declared its grim intent that day, and Newt's heart beat steadily faster as he anticipated what Mack might say. He clutched gunmetal in his hands, a steady draw, but his eyes ached for action.

His life had known much violence, he had known many bones of man and animal that lay bleached where they fell, strewn amid spent bullets. Truly, the desolation of man spread to all corners of the world, an emptiness that swallowed. Scars in the earth remained, dead landmarks to conflicts that had been forgotten about. But in time, the green and the summer heat that shimmered covered over, and the bones succumbed to dust and the bullets to crumbs, and life once again took hold in its stubborn, tenacious way. If the sky showed mercy, if the rains came to wash man clean and cover over what would transpire this night, then maybe in time these parts would know peace again.

Edited by Choomie (see edit history)

spacer.png Jen Klazcka, Bounty Hunting Priestess

The others seemed hesitant to commit to either a full and outright ambush (Wise) or to go down there in person. Jen got their attention with a gesture and then, keeping her voice low, explained her plan.

"Y'all stay up here and get ready to come out shootin' if they turn hostile. I'm gonna go innerduce myself, see if they're bandits or just folks passin' through."

After all, a woman might not set off their danger senses like a man would. And Jen had gotten quite a few bounties for being underestimated.

Moving well clear of everyone else before approaching from a different angle at lower altitude, Jen sauntered towards the campfire and the gathered folks, making no effort to hide her presence. She put on a disarming smile and kept her gun hand clear of the grip of the pistol at her waist by making a show of adjusting her hat.

It kept the shotgun behind her back within easy reach, though. "Howdy, folks. Sorry to interrupt, but I'm a mite lost."

Quick Statblock

HP: 22/22  AC: 17 Touch AC: 13

Current Active Effects: None

Shotgun: 100 rounds Pistol: 100 rounds

Statblock

[URL=http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2837929][B][SIZE=+1]Jennifer Klazcka[/SIZE][/B][/URL]
Female Neutral Human Cleric, [B]Level[/B] 3, [B]Init[/B] 1, [B]HP[/B] 22/22, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]AC[/B] 17, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 5, [B]Ref[/B] 2, [B]Will[/B] 6, [B]CMB[/B] +2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 2   
[B]Misfire 1-2 Masterwork Shotgun (530 gp) (100 Rounds) [/B] +4 (1d8, x2)
[B]Misfire 1, 6 shots before reload Revolver (400 gp) (100 Rounds) [/B] +3 (1d8, x4)
[B]  Dagger [/B] +2 (1d4, x2)
[B]  Chain Shirt[/B] (+4 Armor, +1 Dex, +1 Misc)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 10, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 17, Cha 12
[B]Condition[/B] None 

Edited by Erico (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
Mack Cartwright
O8ngRC7.png

Before he could object (or volunteer to go with her), Jen stepped forward. Sticking to her plan, Mack took out his shotgun and got ready to fire should she find herself in hot water. At this range, he added a slug instead of pellets. He steadied his breathing and did his best to offset his aim for the distance.

OOC and Actions

Mack Cartwright-------------------------
HP: 18 (22 base, -7 ettercap, +3 sleep) - 2 DEX dmg
AC: 18 (10 base, +4 DEX, +5 armor, -1 DEX dmg)
Lady (Mack's horse) HP: 13 (15 base, -6 spider, +2 sleep, +2 treat wounds)
Hands: Shotgun (with slug)

===== Actions =====

Move: Martial Flexibility to add Far Shot feat for 1 min
Standard: Ready action to attack anyone who is about to attack Jen.

Ongoing Effects and Daily Use Things

Ongoing Effects:
Far Shot feat: Only -1 attack per range increment instead of -2. Rounds remaining : 10/10

Remaining Resources:
Grit/Luck/Panache: 4/4
Martial Flexibility: 3/4
Inspiration: 0/1
Metal Cartridges: 94/100
Silver Cartridges: 20/20
Healer's Kit: 14/20

Edited by OzzyKP (see edit history)

BuzzToken.png.cb7b4380ef608aefc0b45c53815fbfe0.pngBuzz Barton • Magus (Eldritch Archer & Hexcrafter) • AC: 18 • HP: 23/23 • Speed: 30 ft • Senses: Perception +5
STR: 0 • DEX: +4 • CON: +2 • INT: +3 • WIS: -1 • CHA: -1 • Languages: Common, Orcish, Draconic, Ulfen

Feats: Precise Shot (Combat), Toppling Spell (Metamagic), Rapid Shot (Combat), Amateur Gunslinger (Combat): Deadeye (Ex)

Class abilities • Arcane Pool (Su) • Ranged Weapon Bond (Ex) • Ranged Spell Combat (Ex) • Ranged Spellstrike (Su) • Magus Arcana: Wand Wielder (Su)

Skills: Acrobatics +4, Appraise +3, Bluff -1, Climb 0, Diplomacy -1, Disable Device +4, Disguise -1, Escape Artist +4, Fly +4, Handle Animal +2, Heal -1, Intimidate +5, Knowledge (Arcana) +9, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +9, Perception +5, Perform -1, Ride +11, Sense Motive -1, Sleight of Hand +7, Spellcraft +9, Stealth +4, Survival -1, Swim 0, Use Magic Device -1

"So we're just marching in, are we?" Buzz draws his pistol and readies a spell just in case things go pear shaped.

Spells

~Cantrips~

Dancing Lights

Daze

Mage Hand

Prestidigitation

~First Level~

Ray of Enfeeblement

Ray of Enfeeblement

Mage Armour

Magic Missile (Toppling Spell)

Arcane Pool: 5

Grit: 1

spacer.png

Newt hunkered lower in the sparse thicket, feeling a heavy evening descend upon him. He'd one drink left of his smoke, which he idly tossed into the dirt, where it lay a dying spark. It withered sad and pathetic like an old firefly; his boot ground the delicate embers to smears in the soil, a blunt period. Silence again shrouded him in a thick and inviolate way. Newt decided to bide time quietly till trouble or dawn, whichever called first.

He scraped residue from the rifling of his gun's rifling. The walnut stock had been worn smooth by his hands and his hands alone over the year past. The rifle was then checked and promptly loaded. Newt took his station against the bole of something ancient and wiser than him. There, with the gun aimed outwards against the world, he watched brave Jennifer as she ventured forward on the group's behalf. A thread of sweat trickled down his faith, faint and saline, which he made no effort to brush away.

Edited by Choomie (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Jen disappears, and retraces her steps back along the trail. Finding a way through the undergrowth to the side, she loops back around to the camp, appearing a short time later.

Bandits or not, the group don't seem to be paying an awful lot of attention and Jen is able to get quite close before anyone even notices her, their hands going right to their holsters. From their vantage point amongst the trees up on the rise, the rest of the group can't see or hear very well as Jen makes her introductions.

"Hey! Who in the blazes are you?" One of them asks, glaring at her.

The cook eyes her warily, but continues stirring without saying anything much.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here, lads?" The other says, looking Jen up and down. "Looks like the lady's lost indeed, wandering around the woods like this. Who knows what kinda folks yer might meet out 'ere, eh?"

His gaze lingers for a moment on her pistol holster and shotgun and, despite his almost mocking tone, his hand stays very near his own gun.

OoC

Probably you would need to make Perception checks to have any chance of hearing the conversation, but for the sake of ease I've not privated it.

Edited by TheFred (see edit history)

Jen cocked her head to the side, as if the idea of running into bandits hadn't occurred to her before.

"Well, hopefully the helpful kind. And if'n wild animals show up, that's what ol' Betsy is here for." She answered the leader of the group in a drawl and a smirk. "Anyhow, mebbe you fellas could point me in the direction of civilization? I've got a delivery I need to make, and they pay extra if I get there early. Enough to mebbe buy y'all a round at the tavern if'n you're helpful-like."

(Gonna try and drag this out to give my teammates as much time as possible to line up some good shots)

Quick Statblock

Statblock

[URL=http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2837929][B][SIZE=+1]Jennifer Klazcka[/SIZE][/B][/URL]
Female Neutral Human Cleric, [B]Level[/B] 3, [B]Init[/B] 1, [B]HP[/B] 22/22, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]AC[/B] 17, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 5, [B]Ref[/B] 2, [B]Will[/B] 6, [B]CMB[/B] +2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 2   
[B]Misfire 1, 6 shots before reload Revolver (400 gp) (100 Rounds) [/B] +3 (1d8, x4)
[B]Condition[/B] None 

BuzzToken.png.cb7b4380ef608aefc0b45c53815fbfe0.pngBuzz Barton • Magus (Eldritch Archer & Hexcrafter) • AC: 18 • HP: 23/23 • Speed: 30 ft • Senses: Perception +5
STR: 0 • DEX: +4 • CON: +2 • INT: +3 • WIS: -1 • CHA: -1 • Languages: Common, Orcish, Draconic, Ulfen

Feats: Precise Shot (Combat), Toppling Spell (Metamagic), Rapid Shot (Combat), Amateur Gunslinger (Combat): Deadeye (Ex)

Class abilities • Arcane Pool (Su) • Ranged Weapon Bond (Ex) • Ranged Spell Combat (Ex) • Ranged Spellstrike (Su) • Magus Arcana: Wand Wielder (Su)

Skills: Acrobatics +4, Appraise +3, Bluff -1, Climb 0, Diplomacy -1, Disable Device +4, Disguise -1, Escape Artist +4, Fly +4, Handle Animal +2, Heal -1, Intimidate +5, Knowledge (Arcana) +9, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +9, Perception +5, Perform -1, Ride +11, Sense Motive -1, Sleight of Hand +7, Spellcraft +9, Stealth +4, Survival -1, Swim 0, Use Magic Device -1

"Better prep, just in case," Buzz casts a defensive spell as quietly as he can manage.

Cast Mage Armour

Draw Pistol

Spells

~Cantrips~

Dancing Lights

Daze

Mage Hand

Prestidigitation

~First Level~

Ray of Enfeeblement

Ray of Enfeeblement

Mage Armour

Mack Cartwright
O8ngRC7.png

Mack stays as silent as he can, just watching and craning his ears to hear as much of the conversation as he can. He holds his shotgun at the ready, waiting for a reason to use it.

OOC and Actions

Mack Cartwright-------------------------
HP: 18 (22 base, -7 ettercap, +3 sleep) - 2 DEX dmg
AC: 18 (10 base, +4 DEX, +5 armor, -1 DEX dmg)
Lady (Mack's horse) HP: 13 (15 base, -6 spider, +2 sleep, +2 treat wounds)
Hands: Shotgun (with slug)

===== Reactions =====

Perception (3 ranks, +3 class skill, +2 WIS)

===== Actions =====

Standard: Ready action to attack anyone who is about to attack Jen.

I suppose it took more than a minute for Jen to get to them, so I'll just count my martial flexibility wasted. I'll wait until fighting starts before I use it again.

Ongoing Effects and Daily Use Things

Ongoing Effects:

Remaining Resources:
Grit/Luck/Panache: 4/4
Martial Flexibility: 3/4
Inspiration: 0/1
Metal Cartridges: 94/100
Silver Cartridges: 20/20
Healer's Kit: 14/20

Name
Perception
1d20+8 18

RtdpVId.jpg

Newt kept his aim steady, though unease crept in. Jennifer knew the business same as any, but these might be dangerous men in a dangerous place. He reckoned she was tougher than most, and the man to his left and the man to his right were an ornery sort, not quick to panic. No coddling was needed. All the same, he'd feel better once this was done with. For now, he could but watch and wait with his rifle ready, watching the camp's mantle for a sign of trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

"Well, now, miss, Front Courage's just an hour or two's ride away from here... but why be in such a rush to go?" Says the second man, leering at her. By the way the others look at him, it seems like he's the leader. He frowns. "'Sides, I don't see any horse. You walk here?"

"Walkin' all 'round the woods by herself, don't seem so smart to me," his companion remarks.

The priestess narrowed her eyes at the group, keeping them all in view as she stared at the leader. "When a horse gets scared and bolts fer it, ain't much that can be done." With a sigh, she glared at them. "Now, look. I didn't come lookin' for trouble and I don't need male companionship, so just put them thoughts outta yer head. I'll make y'all a deal. Point me in the direction of Front Courage, pass me a bowl of whatever grub you've got on the fire tonight, and you're all a gold piece richer each." She extended her right arm in preparation for a handshake, but refusing to come closer to any of them. "Deal?" 

Unseen by anyone at the campfire, her left hand, down by her waist and away from the grip of her shotgun, lingered in clear view of where she knew the rest of the team was even though she didn't dare look back at them.

In quick, but easy to read movements, she flashed the hand signs common among officers of the law and bounty hunters. Hold. Wait for the signal.

And then she waited for the leader of the bandit crew to reach out, either to shake her hand or to try something else. Either way, it wouldn't matter.

She was ready.

--------------------

Jen prepares her "Gentle Rest" Repose Domain ability. If the guy grabs at her or shakes her hand the leader will be staggered for 1 Round; a second touch or grab will put him to sleep.

Quick Statblock

Statblock

[B]Condition[/B] None 

"Wish I had a rifle," Buzz keeps watch, really wanting to look at the encampment through a sight.

Cast Mage Armour

Draw Pistol

Spells

~Cantrips~

Dancing Lights

Daze

Mage Hand

Prestidigitation

~First Level~

Ray of Enfeeblement

Ray of Enfeeblement

Mage Armour

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The men look at each other, then grin.

"Now see, why don't we just--" one of them begins, before the leader cuts him off.

"Hey, what's that you're doin'?" He asks, eyes narrowed at Jen's hand signal. In flash, his hand goes for his gun. "Get 'er, lads!"

OoC

Jen can make a hand sign, but she's close to the bandits and she has a -1 Sleight of Hand vs Happs' pretty OK Perception. Still, it probably doesn't make much difference - I don't think this was going any other way!

Best roll initiative - if you beat theirs you can go first.

I'll endeavour to create a map. Most of you are crouched up in the trees above the camp a good ways off, probably at least 50ft and lower down. There's foliage and stuff in the way but you can probably get a clear enough shot.

Edited by TheFred (see edit history)
Name
Happs Perception
1d20+5 17
Happs Initiative
1d20+5 5
Bandits Initiative
1d20+4 9

The bounty hunting priestess mustered a small, irritated smile as she pulled her hand back. "What a pity." She said, before allowing her magic to come forth in an explosive burst around her. "Then suffer!" She snarled, releasing a blast of divine mind-affecting power that washed over the bandit leader and his cronies, then she turned and dashed for the cover of the trees, yanking out her pistol as she did so.

Standard: Jen casts Bane, affecting every enemy on the map in her radius. They all need to make a DC 14 Will Save or they suffer a -1 to attack rolls and fear effects for 3 minutes.

Move: Jen moves 5 squares south and 1 square SE, giving her cover in the trees (Full cover? Partial?)

Swift: Pull out that pistol, girl!

Quick Statblock

Statblock

[B]Condition[/B] None 

Name
Initiative
1d20+1 13