Dice Tower panel location/behavior poll

Eric

Dice Tower panel location/behavior  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How would you prefer the Dice Tower panel to work?

• (1) Dice Tower panel shows above post content, collapsed unless there are existing rolls. When the panel is collapsed, clicking on the Dice Tower button will expand the panel right below the button.
    • (2) Dice Tower panel shows above post content, always expanded.
    • (3) Dice Tower panel shows above post content, always collapsed. Dice Tower button color indicates the presence of existing rolls. When the panel is collapsed, clicking on the Dice Tower button will expand the panel right below the button.
    • (4) Dice Tower panel shows below post content, collapsed unless there are existing rolls. When the panel is collapsed, clicking on the Dice Tower button will expand the panel below the post content and auto-scroll to the panel.
    • (5) Dice Tower panel shows below post content, always expanded.
    • (6) Dice Tower panel shows below post content, always collapsed. Dice Tower button color indicates the presence of existing rolls. When the panel is collapsed, clicking on the Dice Tower button will expand the panel below the post content and auto-scroll to the panel.
    • (7) Dice Tower panel shows below post content, always collapsed. Dice Tower button color indicates the presence of existing rolls. Clicking on the Dice Tower button expands the panel over top of the post content.

How would you prefer the Dice Tower panel to work? The goal is to make it as easy as possible to enter new dice rolls while keeping dice relatively inobtrusive.

Note: this poll does not cover the actual content of the Dice Tower panel. That will be a later discussion!

Here are some screenshots of the various placement/expansion options. Obviously screenshots don't show the dynamic behavior of auto-scrolling for the below-post dice, but it should be enough to get the idea; the point of the auto-scroll is to put the dice into the viewport so clicking the Dice Tower doesn't have only an off-screen effect.

Above Post Content

Collapsed unless there are existing rolls:

image.jpeg.1add9c4d52c435b959cdff41d2285f08.jpeg

Always expanded:

image.jpeg.de4c84044a22278c2d24f3daed662d4e.jpeg

Always collapsed:image.jpeg.71babc19f790c533f8925321fbf8c88b.jpeg

Below Post Content

Collapsed unless there are existing rolls:

image.jpeg.46b9a1bcf2be730eca06644f15dd45e3.jpeg

Always expanded:

image.jpeg.5171e9a8d966638bc7aa05fa64c86c3f.jpeg

Always collapsed:

image.jpeg.71babc19f790c533f8925321fbf8c88b.jpeg

Overlaid on Post Content

Overlay of one dice set:

image.jpeg.7102da81bd2e179f47046a915ef1fdc8.jpeg

I have had that thought and should have written it down somewhere like here. It seems like a no-brainer to me as far as "obviously good functionality". All I need to do is set up the event handling to do it.

@Eric I found an exploitable thing here: The Preview feature. Why do gamers need to review a roll? Especially since the "preview" and the actual result can be different. I messed with it a few days ago then again today. The issue is: I preview my roll & it's lower than I like so roll again and get a higher roll that works for me. I JUST did that: 

1. Preview & it was low

2. Rolled & posted & it was higher. 

At the tabletop you can't preview a roll and Thanks be to the Buddha we can't or we'd rarely have bad rolls. I mean okay you could preview a roll, see it's low, roll & post & it's still lower than you like but ....... I see zero value for the preview feature other than certain players trying to "game the dice tower". I'm not saying anyone is doing this BUT the opportunity is there with that completely-unnecessary "Preview" option. I know this is a WIP so consider this wish-list and thank you for your hard work on the site. 

The preview roll doesn't actually carry over into the post. The preview is basically just there to test the syntax of the dice roller to make sure you entered it correctly - if not the preview just comes up empty. Perhaps that should be clarified somewhere in the preview window.

PigLickJF has it right--the result in the preview is not the actual result and is never stored in the database. Just like on OGMW, you won't know the result until you click the Roll button, at which point it is rolled again and locked in. We will clarify this in the documentation.

• 3 weeks later...