Scarlet Citadel: Level 1: Dungeon and Crypts

bwatford

spacer.png

Karn Strauss  | AC: 13 | HP: 9/9 | Hit dice: 1d8

AttacksRapier (Piercing) | +4 | 1d8+2
Dagger (piercing) | +4 | 1d4+2
  | SavesStr 0 | Dex +4 | Con +1 | Int +0 | Wis +1 | Cha +5  | CantripsMage Hand
Minor Illusion
Vicious Mockery
  | 1st Level SpellsBane
Color Spray
Faerie Fire
Heroism
2/2 | Bardic Inspiration +1d6

You can inspire others through stirring words or music. To do so, you use a bonus action on your turn to choose one creature other than yourself within 60 feet of you who can hear you. That creature gains one Bardic Inspiration die, a d6.
Once within the next 10 minutes, the creature can roll the die and add the number rolled to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw it makes. A creature can have only one Bardic Inspiration die at a time.
You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier (a minimum of once). You regain any expended uses when you finish a long rest.
Your Bardic Inspiration die changes when you reach certain levels in this class. The die becomes a d8 at 5th level, a d10 at 10th level, and a d12 at 15th level.
 3/3

He promptly perceived their approach. He ignored them at first and finished the song. Then he carefully, with controlled and graceful movements, put the lyre on the top of the rock.

Finally he addressed the strangers.

Good morning, people. I am Karn, a really lucky adventurer. - He did a sweeping motion with his arms showing the piles of earth. - And those were my companions. We were trying to adventure inside the Scarlet Citadel, in search for riches, but destiny betrayed us before we had even the chance to face the place. An owlbear attacked us. Three died at the spot, Martin and I escaped.

Unfortunately Martin died a few hours ago from his grievous wounds. And I could do nothing to save him. - He paused for a few seconds. - I was paying my respects before returning to Redtower. 

And you, Robin and Yngird, what are doing here? Going to the Citadel?

Ingyrd Moondancer - Bearfolk Druidspacer.png

AC: 12/14 (natural/shield) | HP: 10/10 | HD: 1/1d8 | Initiative: -1 | PP: 15 | Stalwart Will: 1/1 | Spell Slots 1st 2/2 | DM Inspiration: 0/1

"<<Destiny is fiction,>>Ingyrd said in Northern, a little sad, fully intending the comment for Arik's ears alone. "<<Our mistakes are our own.>>" She switched back to common to continue the conversation. "We also lost a companion; inside the citadel. He may still be alive, so we're going back in to try to rescue him. If your destiny hasn't changed, and you wish to continue your delving of the citadel, we could use the help in the rescue, but I warn you, there is much danger we face. Some of us, at least, plan to continue in the citadel, however this shakes out."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Staff

Off Hand: None.

Action: none
Bonus Action: None
Move: None
Manipulate: None.

Free: None.

spacer.png

Minor Illusion
Vicious Mockery
  | 1st Level SpellsBane
Color Spray
Faerie Fire
Heroism

You can inspire others through stirring words or music. To do so, you use a bonus action on your turn to choose one creature other than yourself within 60 feet of you who can hear you. That creature gains one Bardic Inspiration die, a d6.
Once within the next 10 minutes, the creature can roll the die and add the number rolled to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw it makes. A creature can have only one Bardic Inspiration die at a time.
You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier (a minimum of once). You regain any expended uses when you finish a long rest.
Your Bardic Inspiration die changes when you reach certain levels in this class. The die becomes a d8 at 5th level, a d10 at 10th level, and a d12 at 15th level.
 3/3

Death is just one part of the life. Everybody will die one day. So this changes nothing of my plans, although I very much prefer to be alive a little more time to enjoy the exquisite flavors of this world. But to live fully and enjoy the multitude of pleasures life has to offer, unfortunately I need money, and The Citadel offers the kind of material gain that I seek.

He said and jumped from the rock, packing his lyre at his packback.

If it is not a problem, our interests collide. Let's go and rescue this companion of yours. He must be really cherished for you to endanger your lives for him. I feel I will like this individual. Lead the way, noble Yngird.

AC: 12/14 (natural/shield) | HP: 10/10 | HD: 1/1d8 | Initiative: -1 | PP: 15 | Stalwart Will: 1/1 | Spell Slots 1st 2/2 | DM Inspiration: 0/1

"We met him yesterday," Ingyrd said honestly. "I wouldn't call him cherished, really, but I don't take my failure lightly, and it seems most of us are in agreement. It wasn't his fault we had to leave him behind, he was enchanted in some way, so I will do what I can for him." Ingyrd waited to see if the others had anything to add to the newcomer. If not, she led the way back to the Scarlet Citadel. While they walked, she  filled Karn in on all that had transpired in their adventure so far.

Mechanics

Action: none
Move: None

Elendris Vessicari - Shadow Elf Warlock (MW Character Sheet)Elendris.png

AC: 16 | HP: 9/9 | HD: 1/1d8 | Initiative: +3 | PP: 12 | Hexblade's Curse: 1/1 | Path of Darkness: 3/3 | Spell Slots 1st 1/1 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

When the newcomer agreed to join them in their exploration of the ruins, Elendris stepped forward as well and gave a friendly nod.

"I am Elendris, and I welcome you as well. While we have not seen an owlbear, we've fought our way down a couple stairs, whereupon we were beset by undead and magical traps, as well as a hulking man wielding a great maul. Another who can fight or cast spells would be most welcome." 

Mechanics

Main Hand: None
Off Hand: Shield

• 2 weeks later...

spacer.png

Level 1: Dungeon and Crypts

As the group approached the ruins once they were in sight they were suddenly set upon by a harpy from out of the trees, she had caught them all by surprise and she was very angry that her sister had been killed. Despite its flurry of both club and claw upon Arik, the bearkfolk managed to defend himself well and was unharmed by her wraith.

image.jpeg.504810feff9b0806fd4ebffdb0d33184.jpeg

Ruins Above
 CeresdayFriday, the 10th of Low SummerMay @ 6:42 am

WE ARE IN COMBAT
Everyone is up!!

Harpy is engaged with Arik.

This is a theater of the mind encounter. No map needed.

Show Active Maps

Not Currently In Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION SCORES

Ingyrd 15 | Elendris 12 | Robin 12 | Arik 11 | Karn 11 

INITIATIVE (Round 2)

Harpy

PC's

MECHANICS

Currently Not in Use!!!

CONDITIONS

Not in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

DEFAULT MARCHING ORDER
Arik
Robin
Karn
Elendris
Ingyrd

ARIK LOSTCUB

Hit Points: 15/15 
Resistances: Cold
Hit Dice: 1/1
Bear Hug: 3/3 *L
Rage: 2/2 *L
XP: 100/300
DM Inspiration: 1/1

ELENDRIS VESSICARI

Hit Points: 9/9 
Immunities: Magic Sleep
Resistances: (ADV Charmed)
Vulnerabilities: Sunlight Sensitivity
Hexblade's Curse: 1/1 *S
Path of Darkness: 3/3 *L
Spell Slots *S (ATK +5 DC 13)

• 1st Level: 1/1 

INGYRD MOONDANCER

Hit Points: 10/10 
Stalwart Will: 1/1 *S
Spell Slots *L (ATK +5 DC 13)

• 1st Level: 2/2 

KARN STRAUSS

Hit Points: 9/9 
Bardic Inspiration: 3/3 *L
Spell Slots *L (ATK +5 DC 13)

• 1st Level: 2/2 

XP: 0/300

SIR ROBIN HAWKWOOD

Hit Points: 12/12
Immunities: Magic Sleep
Resistances: (ADV Charmed)
Divine Sense: 4/4 *L
Lay On Hands: 5/5 *L

Name
Ingyrd Initiative
1d20-1 6
Arik Initiative
1d20+1 5
Karn Initiative
1d20+2 7
Sir Robin Initiative
1d20-1 19
Elendris Initiative
1d20+3 4
Harpy Initiative
1d20+1 14
Party Average
(5+6+9+18+7)/5
Harpy Stealth
1d20+1 16
Harpy attacks Arik with Club | Bludgeoning
10; 2
1d20+3;1d4+1 [7]; [7,1]
Harpy attacks Arik with Claw | Slashing
6; 4
1d20+3;2d4+1 [3]; [3,2,1]
Harpy attacks Arik with Club | Bludgeoning
13; 3
1d20+3;1d4+1 [10]; [10,2]
Harpy attacks Arik with Claw | Slashing
166; 6
12d20+3;2d4+1 [7,20,14,15,14,20,1,18,14,9,12,19]; [7,20,14,15,14,20,1,18,14,9,12,19,2,3]

spacer.png

Minor Illusion
Vicious Mockery
  | 1st Level SpellsBane
Color Spray
Faerie Fire
Heroism

3/3

Karn was surprised. The problems started even before they set their feet at the Scarlet Citadel. Strangely a song came to his mind and he could not avoid singing it with his trustful lyre, deftly strumming its cords with innate mastery.

Fly into the corpsepainted sky,
The feathered arms of mystery.
From these infinite heights,
My shadow obscured.

He stopped and aimed a comment at the harpy. What a marvelous exemplar of failure!

Mechanics

Cast Vicious Mockery (Save vs WIS) against the harpy.

1d4 psychic damage and have disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn.

Elendris Vessicari - Shadow Elf Warlock (MW Character Sheet)Elendris.png

AC: 16 | HP: 9/9 | HD: 1/1d8 | Initiative: +3 | PP: 12 | Hexblade's Curse: 1/1 | Path of Darkness: 3/3 | Spell Slots 1st 1/1 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

The harpy's assault took Elendris by surprise as well. She raised her right arm forward and muttered an incantation, conjuring forth a blast of eldritch energy from a short distance away.

Her mind registered the futility of the harpy's rage-fueled assault against stronger foe. She'd have done different, waiting for an opportune time. But then again, if it had attacked even earlier, like last night...

"Good thing this one didn't attack us last night. Let's just hope its cries don't attract more things." 

Mechanics

Main Hand: None

Action: Eldritch Blast

Name
Eldritch Blast Attack
1d20+5 16
Eldritch Blast Damage
1d10 5

"Damn bird," Ingyrd said, well aware that the creature wasn't a beast at all. After their encounter with her sister yesterday, the old bearfolk knew there would be no reasoning with the thing. Best to put it down quickly. She roared in its face as she stepped up across from Arik in solidarity and lifted her staff up in both hands. With a heave, she tried to knock it senseless, or at least distract it so Arik could get a solid strike in.

Mechanics

Action: Two handed strike with quarterstaff
Move: Move up to engage Harpy, trying to position so she is directly across from Arik.

Name
Staff to hit
1d20+5 14
Staff bludgeoning dmg
1d8+3 7

Arik Lostcub - Bearfolk Barbarianspacer.png

Arik whirled to face the harpy as it flung itself at him. He managed to batter aside its claws and its club failed to do more than sting his tough skin. Ingyrd struck it a telling blow with her staff whilst maneuvering to a position of advantage, and the younger Bearfolk tried to seize the advantage. He snarled at the ugly thing and took a swing, looking to take a chunk out of whatever he could. A wing? An arm? Did it matter? Not to Arik. He just wanted to hurt the thing that wanted to hurt him. His strike landed solidly, opening an ugly wound in the harpy's flesh.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Nordmansch Greataxe
Off Hand: Nordmansch Greataxe

Action: Attack with axe
Bonus Action:
Move: 
Manipulate: 

Character Sheet

Arik Lostcub - Bearfolk (Grizzlehide) Barbarian 1 

Str 16 (+3) Dex 12 (+1) Con 16 (+3) Int 10 (+1) Wis 12 (+1) Cha 8 (-1)
HP 15/15 Resistances: Cold HD 1d12 AC 14 (unarmored defense) Speed 30 ft. 

Passive Perception 11 Initiative +1
DM Inspiration Yes
Languages Common, Darakhul, Northern
Background Outlander Feature  Wanderer

You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people per day, provided the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.

Nordmansch Greataxe +5 attack, 1d12+3 slashing damage
Bite +5 attack, 1d6+3 piercing damage
Bear Hug* (3/day) +5 attack, 4 bludgeoning damage plus target is grappled.

Proficiency +2 Saving Throws Strength +5, Constitution +5 
Skills Athletics +5, Stealth +3, Nature +2, Perception +3, Survival +3, Intimidation +1
Instruments Drums +3
Weapons All
Armor Light, medium

Natural Armor. Your hide is thick and tough, granting you a natural AC of 13 + your Dexterity modifier.

Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.

Bear Hug (3/day). When you take the Attack action, you can make an unarmed strike as a bonus action. If you hit, you can grapple the target in addition to dealing damage to it. You can use this ability a number of times equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum of 1), and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Thick Coat. You are resistant to cold damage.

Rage (2/day)
In battle, you fight with primal ferocity. On your turn, you can enter a rage as a bonus action.

While raging, you gain the following benefits if you aren't wearing heavy armor:

You have advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.
When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a bonus to the damage roll that increases as you gain levels as a barbarian, as shown in the Rage Damage column of the Barbarian table.
You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
If you are able to cast spells, you can't cast them or concentrate on them while raging.

Your rage lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends and you haven't attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then. You can also end your rage on your turn as a bonus action.

Once you have raged the number of times shown for your barbarian level in the Rages column of the Barbarian table, you must finish a long rest before you can rage again.

Unarmored Defense
While you are not wearing any armor, your armor class equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Constitution modifier. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit.

Equipment

General Inventory (86 lbs.)

Nordmansch Greataxe - 10 lbs.

4 x Javelins - 8 lbs.

2 x Handaxes - 4 lbs.

Hunting Trap - 25 lbs.

8 x Torches - 8 lbs.
10 x Rations - 20 lbs.

Tinderbox - 1 lb.
Waterskin - 5 lbs.

Backpack - 5 lbs.

Coin Purse (0.2 lbs.)
Platinum: 0
Gold: 9
Electrum: 0
Silver: 6
Copper: 0

Encumbrance

Max Load: 480 lbs. (30 x STR (powerful build))

Current Weight: 86.2 lbs.

Edited by PatronSaint
Adding attack results (see edit history)
Name
Axe attack with flanking bonus
1d20+7 17
Axe damage
1d12+3 10

Sir Robin Hawkwood - Elfmarked Paladin (MW Character Sheet)spacer.png

AC: 18 | HP: 12/12 | HD: 1/1d10 | Initiative: -1 | PP: 12 | Divine Sense: 4/4 | Lay on Hands: 5/5 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

'This place is even more dangerous than I had anticipated.' Robin thought to himself as yet another harpy attacked Arik.

Wasting no time, the paladin rushed forward and raised his longsword, before bringing it down with all the might he could muster.  

"Khors, give me strength - for my cause is just." he whispered as a short prayer as he attacked the beast to protect his friend.

Note to Billy: I messed up the roll and subtracted 5 instead of adding 5, so the total should be 23 instead of 13 for the attack roll I think.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Longsword

Action: Attack Harpy.
Bonus Action: 
Move: 
Manipulate: 

Note to Billy: I messed up the attack roll and subtracted 5 instead of adding 5, so the total should be 23 (18+5) instead of 13 (18-5). Cheers.

Edited by Leonidas1789 (see edit history)
Name
Longsword Attack
1d20-5 18
Longsword Damage
1d8+3 8