OOC

Acromos

I'm regularly baffled by players (not you guys, of course) moaning stuff like 'o noes, ma rolls r bad!' and they have full Fate and never buy a reroll. Like, come on people, 40k is easily deadly enough as it is. I think it goes like this: Players want to save their Fate until they really need it - so they never use it, and eventually forget they have it. It refreshes each encounter for Emprah's sake.

Um - two things:

Did we ever manage to produce a correct dice roll for Maeve?

And grenades in the 41st millenium have several triggers, among them impact, distance, timer and proximity. Commagene doesn't have to rely on a timer, if she intends to blow up some pirates as they enter.

Yes, the dice rolls after the ones with syntax errors came out fine.

xDiceName:xDiceString
focus unnatural aim:success(2d10,7,above,no,no);success(1d100,72,below,no,no)

So if you look at the percentile roll, it was 82 above the 72, so a failure, unless she gets a +10 from somewhere.

The two grenades she strapped to the steam pipes were on a timer, to give her enough time to get out of the warehouse. The one she threw was proximity based, but will go off after 2 minutes whether anyone approaches or not, so it wouldn't trigger on emergency services.

So .. I just need to break down Maeve's roll. She's shooting at 20 meters range, and I assume she's shooting a semi-automatic burst. How do we arrive at 72? I believe Maeve has 37 BS, and get's +40 for Unnatural Aim and burst fire. Making it 77. Since you guys have had time to prepare, I have no objections to the claim that Maeve spent the round before the surprise attack to aim (you have surprise, since you attack them while they're planning their surprise attack on you). Now, surprised counts as Unaware - which is another +30 - so if we really want it, adding up all our modifiers and so on, that's actually a final result of 107 vs. a target of 77.

And this is why, children, daddy always reminds you to stack your modifiers. The mark of a succesful - and surviving - agent of the MMGC, is stacking up those modifiers.

Now, it bears mentioning that the targets have cover unless Maeve hits their heads. But 77 is the left leg, and the distribution is Leg, Body, Arm.

We still need a number of damage rolls, though. Which, btw, begs the question of how to roll Righteous Fury. I guess I'll see.

My rolls are s***. Maybe Maeve prefers rolling her own? This is allowed.

Edited by Acromos (see edit history)
Name
Leg
1d10+3 1
Body
1d10+3 3
Arm
1d10+3 3

Oh! Oh ... you can click the image of the space station, and it expands so you can see all of it, not just the dome. Glorious.

Anyways, enough waiting around. Since Svartalf hasn't responded, we'll use my damage rolls - deplorably bad as they are. And move on.

3 hours ago, Acromos said:

OOC: However, why not fire a semi-auto burst for another +10. And, not sure what the +10 you included is for, but you have a red dot, no? Also, you're in short range. And while it's understandable that you didn't notice, I also wrote somewhere that the pirates are surprised (because, this is their surprise attack, but they're charging right into readied fire).

+10 from red-dot, yeah.

Regarding burst - it's been about a decade since I've played Dark Heresy, so I'm not very up to date with combat rules and optimization. Mea culpa, I'll try to catch up.

No worries - but winning DH means stacking your modifiers. Hang on a sec.

Check this out: https://dark-heresy-rp.fandom.com/wiki/Combat_Circumstances

It's not exhaustive, but there are some of the modifiers. Sights are in addition, psychic powers, aim (which doesn't work for burst or auto). There are likely more I forget.

By the way - that was a full round. Players are up again. The center group of four is reduced to 1 - the leader - and the flanking group is propably all dead by now. What remains is the cover fire group, three shooters in cover across the street.

The three melee guys aren't dead, btw. But they're in criticals, and they lack the heroics to fight on. They are writhing in the street, bemoaning their fate.

Also, frankly, I never rolled damage for the three grenades. They could potentially roll super low. I'm going to do that .... off screen. Because no one was there to see the results. I should add that I'm not even cautiously optimistic for those guys. But if they suddenly pour out of the warehouse to flank you, you'll know why.

Oh. I'm sort of light on details in combat. So it's block initiative - PC's get a turn, opfor get's a turn, repeat. And PC's can just post when ready, I'll sort everything out as we go along.