“I am the last of my Clan. Thier honor lives through me”
Character sheet

Basic Information

Race: Human (Variant) | Sex: M | Alignment: NG
Background: Uthgardt Tribesman (Steppe)
Class: Ranger 1 
Deity: 

Appearance and Personality

Talyn, to those that do not know him, he is as dour as the steppes he hails from.CompShortBow.jpg.ac9d95baeb91295bfb3cba8393616f40.jpg

Talyn speaks little top those that he doesn't know but is learning to control his disdain for those from the cities and those that cloth themselves with silks and colored beads that serve no visible use.

Talyn has little use for liars, cheats, and bullies and those that prey on the weak. It doesn't matter if that preying is due to position or physical stature. Either way Talyn will brook no bullying in his presence.

Talyn's friendship, while hard to gain is once given as steadfast as the Dragonwall itself. Once he has named you as a companion, he is quick to share a laugh, a story, or his campfire.

Talyn's weapons are often looked at with musings and awe. He wears a simple bandolier with 4 daggers canted for easy draw and throw. His Longsword and short sword, found during a search of a long-ambushed caravan and were of no use to the flashing scimitars used by the Harashi.

Last is the unusual Harashi recurve bow whose size belies it's deadly damage and uncanny accuracy.

Traits

I watch over my friends as if they were a litter of newborn pups.

I place no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folk. Money and manners won’t save you from a hungry owlbear.

Ideals

Nature. The natural world is more important than all the constructs of civilization. (Neutral)

Bonds

My family, clan, or tribe was the most important thing in my life, even now, when all I have are memories.

Flaws

I am slow to trust members of other races, tribes, and societies.

History

In the realm of mystery and hardship, there existed a young child named Talyn, whose enigmatic past mirrored his own enigma. As an enslaved child, Talyn endured a life of constant drudgery, forever plagued by the fear of his master's whip and the unpredictable spells that punctuated his every command. Defiance was his way of preserving pride and stubbornness, though it only earned him countless beatings and temporary suppression of his spirit. Even the confinement within a small wooden potato box surrounded by rats and beetles, failed to extinguish his indomitable will.

At the tender age of 14, Talyn's heart became captivated by the presence of a young concubine slave girl named Telia.thegamerzedge64_dd_YOUNG_ADULT_MIDDLE-EASTERN_female_photoreali_af5a5847-13dd-4698-8821-a65a68d5afa7.jpg.98db7d3b9a65e5c6529c836b97ab2d5b.jpg Their connection blossomed into a fast friendship, which soon transformed into a profound love. But this romance remained concealed within the shadows, guarded closely from prying eyes. However, one fateful night, while accompanying a wizard through the treacherous steppes of the Bladed Desert on a trade caravan, Telia inadvertently revealed their secret. Her courage surfaced as she defied the wizard's advances, fueled by his wine-induced desires. Consumed by fury, the wizard commanded his guards to bring Talyn before him.

In a cruel act of retribution, the wizard crucified Talyn, forcing him to bear witness as his henchmen subjected his beloved to unspeakable torment. Telia's anguished screams pierced the frigid desert night, while Talyn fought hopelessly against his restraints. The wizard, with a sadistic laughter, approached Talyn and used his magic to brand him not on his arm, as was customary for slaves, but on the right side of his face. This mark was intended to repulse any woman who dared look upon him.

As Talyn writhed in agony, the wizard turned his attention to Telia. Holding a small, tarnished silver band adorned with a large blueTalynring.jpg.4dabe50e6a43b54c3aec8546e0d64483.jpg gem, the wizard cast a spell that drained the girl's life-force into the ring, leaving her body an empty vessel devoid of vitality. With a chilling proclamation, the wizard gloated that he could restore Telia's life-force at any time, as long as her body remained intact. In agony-filled eyes, Talyn implored the wizard to set Telia free, but his pleas fell on deaf ears. The wizard uttered another incantation, summoning torrents of flames that devoured Telia's lifeless form, reducing it to ash, as though it were mere winter kindling.

In a final act of cruelty, the wizard placed the ring upon Talyn's finger, using another spell to fuse it onto the boy's flesh. "Let her feel your death," the wizard taunted, before departing with his guards, leaving Talyn to his torment. For eleven grueling days, Talyn clung to his crucifixion stake, teetering on the precipice of death. It was then that the Harashi outriders, a small tribe of Uthgardt nomads who traversed the steppes and plains adjacent to the vast desert, discovered him. With care, they released him from his malevolent perch and, quenching his parched lips, carried him to their camp, where they nurtured him back to life.

Gradually, Talyn regained his strength, and though the wizard's mark marred his visage, he made a remarkable recovery. In time, the Harashi embraced him as one of their own, welcoming him into their tribe. Immersed in the ways of the Harashi, Talyn unraveled their secrets, rumored to be bestowed upon them by the Nature itself. Among these teachings, Talyn felt a deep connection to the cycle of all flora and fauna. He learned the art of moving stealthily through shadows, as silent as the desert lynx. The Harashi possessed an innate empathy for creatures, particularly horses, and while Talyn did not rely on horses as they did, he embraced their equestrian skills. Renowned for their prowess as horsemen, the Harashi were aptly named, their very essence intertwined with the spirit of the horse and thier name translated to mean "Horse-blooded". Talyn mastered the art of riding, skillfully wielding the powerful composite short bow, both on foot and astride a horse. He also delved into their unique twin bladed fighting style, executing whirling attacks and nimble parries that rendered him elusive and difficult to strike. His natural dexterity astounded the tribe members when he effortlessly wielded a small buckler-like shield. Talyn also imbibed the Harashi's reverence for nature, learning its harsh and unforgiving lessons. Like them, he embraced the belief that life, despite its risks, was worth living.

In close proximity to the Harashi dwelled a clan of dwarves, engaging in trade with the nomadic tribe. Talyn often found solace in their company, engrossed in their tales and the historical accounts of the land. He eagerly delved into dusty tomes presented by the dwarven clerics. Life seemed to hold promise for Talyn, although the fused ring served as a constant reminder of his tragic past. Yet, fate had not yet completed its design for the young fledgling ranger.

Returning from a hunt, Talyn's senses were suddenly engulfed by the acrid scent of smoke, drifting from the Harashi camp. His heart raced as he sprinted towards the source, only to be met with a nightmarish scene: the camp lay in ruins, consumed by merciless flames. The lifeless bodies of his comrades lay scattered, a haunting testament to the brutality of the attack. It was then that Talyn discovered the chilling truth: the assailants were none other than the dreaded Slavers, a force he had naively hoped to leave behind forever.

After burying the remains of the clan, Talyn embarked on a perilous pursuit of the Slavers. Two days of relentless tracking led him to the Slavers' camp, where they found the enemy intoxicated by drink or enslaved by the treacherous effects of the Black Lotus. Seizing this opportunity, Talyn unleashed his skills, descending upon the Slavers like a shadow and laying waste to all who stood in his way.

He freed the handful of youths and after searching the slaver Captain's tent handed over the Slaver captain's ill-gotten wealth Talyn led the few captives back to what remined of the Harashi camp. Amidst the jubilant celebration of the captives' homecoming, an introspective darkness clouded Talyn's thoughts. The weight of his first kill pressed upon his conscience, reminding him of his calling to protect those in need. he had surely been sent a sign, although who was behind it was yet to be seen.

Horse-removebg-preview.png.dc86a0d520f2f9a346bbcdbad8619ce8.pngAnd so, as the sun began to paint the horizon with hues of amber, Talyn, taking only meager supplies, his weapons and the Harashi-bred horse gifted him by their chieftain, bid farewell to the remaining tribesmen, tears mingling with heartfelt goodbyes. His path lay ahead, beckoning him towards a destiny intertwined with courage and sacrifice.

Edited by JagrHunter (see edit history)

Hello, just curious about your short composite bow. Where does that come from? I ask because I have never seen one in 5E and if it is out there that is knowledge I could use for another character later on. Also, how do you get +6 to damage? Your dex bonus is only +3.

So I made it as a comp short bow to mirror the bows of the Mongols and other mounted cultures. Basically a strength bow (+3 strength plus Prof bonus) it's up to the DM... if he rules against, I'll turn it into just a short bow with flavor. so a +5

Edited by JagrHunter (see edit history)