Application Questions and Answers

bwatford

Ask your questions here or on the Discord

https://discord.gg/ZcQA6SyAYw

Previous Q&A from the old MW board.

Where in the world is this set? I missed it. More north or Southlands?

In the Magdar kingdom. 

spacer.png

I love maps. I love to study them. Checking the Redtower map I can see a quite wide river to the east. I believe it flows north-south. However, in the Regional Map, the closest river is not that close at all. I thought the river that appears in the former map was just a stream, too small to be noticed in the regional map. But no stream is as wide as whole buildings. I would like some intel on this and if river navigation is a common thing there.

Also, I would like to attach my character to the scenario a bit more. I had this concept in mind and now I want to settle it. First, I wonder if it would make sense for his family to be Kariv Wanderers, but since he lived most of his life away from his culture, he turned out to be Human Variant.

Second, I wonder if Redtower allows slavery. Perhaps Adrian was sold to the town's blacksmith. That would be a connection for me, someone to visit in the town.

Third, maybe his sister was taken to the Yarila and Porevit Temple while recovering from her traumatic wounds, and later moved to another temple elsewhere, and they missed each other completely. The other way around would work just fine.

Fourth, what would be a good spot for the raid to have happened? Perhaps somewhere down the road to Schio? Or maybe I should take it the other way around completely, since the Melana-Triolo raiding area transformed into a battlefield?

Fifth, this is my first run with a Paladin and I just noticed that the description for starting equipment is vague. For example, it says "1 martial weapon". I can pick anything from a Net (1gp) to a Hand Crossbow (75gp)?! Will you frown on me if I pick the Hand Crossbow, sell it for full price, buy a Longsword and keep the change to invest in better armor? Same reasoning applies to "5 javelins or 1 trash" choice. Just noticed Chain Mail is already the best armor I can get for as much gold as I have.

Sixth, the Raid Survivor background provides me with Stealth and Survival skills proficiency. It also links this background to the Outlander background that gives Athletics and Survival instead. Can I swap the skill proficiency but keep everything else about Raid Survivor?

Redtower is too small to show on the Midgard map but it's deemed to be at the crossroads just west of Scarlet Citadel. The river depicted is probably a tributary of the mighty Temalink river to the south. Since Redtower is a small logging town, the river is probably the source of power for the lumber mills. As the rivers don't go really anywhere I don't see them as a means of normal travel.

The Kariv connection sounds like a good one,

No slavery takes place in Redtower.

Where the raid happened is up to you, either way would work.

Starting Equipment in 5e is assigned by your class and your background choice. They give you a selection to pick from. What I was saying in the blurb was that you could swap a martial weapon that you chose from your background or class for an equal value one from the Midgard Heroes Handbook. I won't frown on you for doing anything within those limits.

You can swap skill proficiencies in your backgrounds.

I have a silly question, so I am going to go right ahead and ask it: are half-elves allowed as a race? I don't see the race in the allowed ones from WotC, nor do I see it in the forbidden races - but I've seen Elftouched in the races that closely match the setting, so I'm not sure.

They are called elfmarked in the setting. They use the same statistics has the normal half-elf.

1) I am considering submitting a Dwarf Warlock with a Genie patron from Tasha's - are there even genies in Midgard?

2) Also are the dwarf sub-races from the PHB permitted or just the Cantonal dwarves in the Midgard source material (I will look at this as an option before submitting an application.

3) The character's background with start with a job as a guard in a mine where he finds his patron, would the Sinkhole Mine, Vesslau Mines, or somewhere within the White Mountains make more sense for working a mine to require guards for the miners - or does that not fit with the world at all? The guard job could be to protect the miners from monsters in the mines or to prevent the prisoners/indentured workers from escaping.

1. There are geniekind in Midgard. There is even a warlock pact called WARLOCK PACT: THE GENIE LORD on the Heroes Handbook, i expect the two would have much the same flavor.
https://koboldpress.com/welcome-to-m...he-genie-lord/

2. There are three types of dwarves in Midgard. The Northlands dwarf uses mountain dwarf stats, the cantonal dwarf use the hill dwarf stats and the dwarf from the Southlands have its own stats.

3. The only thing the world book says about the Vesslau mines is that they are silver mines run by kobolds (population 2800 kobolds).

I would just make up a mine on the edges of the White Mountains for purposes of the background as you will be guarding the caravan on the way to Redtower when the game starts.

@bwatford Question specifically: As a blind character, can i take "blind fighting" fighting style without spending a level into Fighter? Because otherwise I'd be forced to either do that or suffer the disadvantage penalty

I'd go with automatic failure on all ability checks requiring sight, but advantage on all perception checks that use the other senses. I'd then completely remove the disadvantage and advantage for attacks. Also, you're immune to the blinded condition.

So basically..

You have blindsight with a range of 10 feet. Within that range, you can effectively see anything that isn’t behind total cover, even if you’re blinded or in darkness. Moreover, you can see an invisible creature within that range, unless the creature successfully hides from you.