General Discussion

prophane

One thing that always seems to evade my understanding is (without my books! i believe are dedicated powerstones).

I know a powerstone you can put in one charge per day or fast charge it with a mass charge of power, and thats just whatever you can put into it with your mana you have...but say you want to add a spell effect to that powerstone,how is that worked out..

i will give you an example..

I once played in a game where (it was like a gurpshawk game) where we did the Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.

Which is basically a downed spaceship.. well what my pc wanted to do was power it up again with magic.

By putting for example putting a power spell on it, and perhaps a machine possession.

So how would you work out the calculations.. and also I have always wanted to know how you have a know function spell...but we are in a TL3 or 4. and the spell has a TL... so how do you find out the fucntion without throwing major points into that one skill,until it finally works or your score a critical..to say find what is the reactor. and then start to enchantment onto it,to begin Powering it.

It's been so long since I've had a game that used powerstones. I much prefer to use the Dungeon Fantasy Power Items instead. I know that in the old days powerstones just recharged 1 point per day. I don't recall ever using any other methods of quicker charging.

Going at Barrier like that is an interesting idea. I can say I've never considered such a tactic. My only question is why do Greyhawk mages have spells like Power and Possess Machine? That seems a bit gamey to me, like they knew what was coming. As a GM I would have serious questions about that.

The term machine is just a apparatus for applying mechanical power.

So in gurps magic even tech spells have a TL set to that spell....just because its a universal system.. and whether you come from a pure fantasy setting ,to a potential setting of sci fi blended with magic could exist... you could have TL 15 spells...to for example repair a ship.

But i was more equiring as to how do i work out the cost for the mechanics of adding power to a for example a gold keg size shape as a potential power source..

So you have a wealth max ,which is how much the weight of the pure gold keg is... ,you then have to enchant that object to allow for the power spell to be put on it...

but was is the cost and mechanic to add the spell power to the object.. oh thats after i make the keg a powerstone on level 1...

and does the Power spell have to be done every time you raise the powerstone level? or once it fuses do you only need to raise the powerstone enchantment power level...

Because i can cast a powerstone directly onto the ships hull,using the ships base cost max,as its powerstone max..

but if it critically fails.. the ship itself could explode..