Cora Blackwell - Tome Warlock

Ryfte

Cora Blackwell - Fathom Warlock of the Tome

image.jpeg.104b82e5916d4cc8f7c1b34ffe5f06c4.jpeg
Race: Air Genasi
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Mana: U.png.cf74868c4e74ec8d5b3f350002eb1fd1.pngBlue B.png.e1e96a87c54a2dea9b2663ba58fbc6bb.pngBlack
Patron: Wrexial, the Risen Deep

Class: Fathom Warlock
Background: SailorYou sailed on a seagoing vessel for years. In that
time, you faced down mighty storms, monsters of the
deep, and those who wanted to sink your craft to the
bottomless depths. Your first love is the distant line of
the horizon, but the time has come to try your hand
at something new.

Skill Proficiencies: Athletics and Perception.
Tool Proficiencies: Navigator's tools, vehicles (water).
Equipment: A belaying pin (club), 50 feet of silk rope,
a lucky charm such as a rabbit foot or a small stone
with a hole in the center (or you may roll for a random
trinket on the Trinkets table in chapter 5), a set of
common clothes, and a pouch containing 10 gp

Passive Perception: 12
Passive Investigation: 09
Passive Insight: 10

Hit Points: 17
Hit Dice: 2/1d8
AC: 13
Initiative: +2
Size: Small
Speed (Walk/Swim): 35 ' / 40'

ABILITIES & SKILLS  (Proficiency Bonus: +2) Bold denotes proficency/(E) denotes expertise

STR : 12 (+1) DEX : 14 (+2) CON : 14 (+2) INT : 08 (-1) WIS : 10 (+0) CHA : 17 (+3)
Save +1 Save +2 Save +2 Save -1 Save +2 Save +5
Athletics +3

Acrobatics +2

Stealth +2

Sleight +2

History -1

Arcane -1

Investigation -1

Religion -1

Insight +0

Perception +2

Medicine +0

Animal Handling +0

Survival +0

Persuasion +3

Intimidation +5

Deception +5

Performance +3

PROFICIENCIES & ABILITIES

PROFICIENCIES LANGUAGES CLASS ABILITIES RACIAL TRAITS FEATS

Navigator's Tools

Vehicles (water)

Light Armor

Simple Weapons

Common

Primordial: Auran

Otherworldly PatronAt 1st level, you have struck a bargain with an otherworldly being of your choice. Your choice grants you features at 1st level and again at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.

The Fathomless

You have plunged into a pact with the deeps. An
entity of the ocean, the Elemental Plane of Water,
or another otherworldly sea now allows you to draw
on its thalassic power. Is it merely using you to learn
about terrestrial realms, or does it want you to open
cosmic floodgates and drown the world?

Perhaps you were born into a generational cult
that venerates the Fathomless and its spawn. Or
you might have been shipwrecked and on the brink
of drowning when your patron's grasp offered you
a chance at life. Whatever the reason for your pact,
the sea and its unknown depths call to you.

Entities of the deep that might empower a warlock
include krakens, ancient water elementals, godlike
hallucinations dreamed into being by kuo-toa, mer­
folk demigods, and sea hag covens.

Pact MagicYour arcane research and the magic bestowed on you by your patron have given you facility with spells.

Spellcasting FocusYou can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus for your warlock spells.

Tentacle of the Deeps1st-level Fathomless feature

You can magically summon a spectral tentacle that strikes at your foes. As a bonus action, you create a 10-foot-long tentacle at a point you can see within 60 feet of you. The tentacle lasts for 1 minute or un­til you use this feature to create another tentacle.

When you create the tentacle, you can make a me­lee spell attack against one creature within 10 feet of it. On a hit, the target takes ld8 cold damage, and its speed is reduced by 10 feet until the. start of your next turn. When you reach 10th level in this class, the damage increases to 2d8.

As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the
tentacle up to 30 feet and repeat the attack.

You can summon the tentacle a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Gift of the Sea1st-level Fathomless feature

You gain a swimming speed of 40 feet, and you can breathe underwater.

Invocation: Agonizing Blast

Invocation: Repelling Blast

Speed 35'

Ability Score IncreaseIncrease one score by 2 and increase a different score by 1, or increase three different scores by 1.

+2 Cha, +1 Con

DarkvisionThanks to your heritage, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray. 60'

Unending BreathYou can hold your breath indefinitely while you're not incapacitated.

Lightning ResistanceYou have resistance to lightning damage.

Mingle with the WindYou start with the Shocking Grasp cantrip. At 3rd level you can cast the Feather Fall spell without requiring a material component and starting at 5th level you can cast the Levitate spell without requiring a material component. You can only cast each of these a single time per long rest unless you use a spell slot of the appropriate level to cast them again. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

[Feats and/or ASI here]

"In the end there will only be the air

and water. All else shall pass."

8437-200.pngATTACKS

WEAPON Att / Dmg PROPERTIES / (RANGE)
Belaying Pin +3 (1d4+1 B)  
Eldritch Blast +5 (1d10+3 FForce damage)

(120')

Daggers +4 (1d4+2 P) light, finesse, thrown (20'/60')
Shocking Grasp +5 (1d8 LLightning Damage) Advantage vs. metal armor

spacer.pngSPELLS (Spell Slots: 2/2; Warkock - Spell Save DC: 13 Spell Attack Mod: +5 Spells Known:Cantrips: 2+1 Max Spell Level: 1)

CANTRIPS 1ST LEVEL 2ND LEVEL 3RD LEVEL 4TH LEVEL

Eldritch Blast B.png.e1e96a87c54a2dea9b2663ba58fbc6bb.pngU.png.cf74868c4e74ec8d5b3f350002eb1fd1.png

Minor Illusion U.png.cf74868c4e74ec8d5b3f350002eb1fd1.png

Shocking Grasp U.png.cf74868c4e74ec8d5b3f350002eb1fd1.png

Hex (C, B) B.png.e1e96a87c54a2dea9b2663ba58fbc6bb.png

Thunderwave U.png.cf74868c4e74ec8d5b3f350002eb1fd1.png

Create or Destroy Water U.png.cf74868c4e74ec8d5b3f350002eb1fd1.png

5TH LEVEL 6TH LEVEL 7TH LEVEL 8TH LEVEL 9TH LEVEL

* Denotes a Midgard spell. / (C) Denotes concentration. / (R) Denotes reaction spell. / (B) Denotes bonus action spell.

money-dollar-circle-512.pngMONEY

Copper: 0 Silver: Gold: 27 Obsidian: 0 Platinum: 0

(10 Coins * .02 lbs. = .2 lbs. Total Weight)

Encumbrance, heaviness, load, mass, sinker, stowage, weight icon - Download  on IconfinderENCUMBRANCE

Weight: 28.1 lbs. / 160 lbs. max. (15 x STR Score)
Penalty: None

688885-200.pngEQUIPMENT READIED / STOREDeducation_icons_IF-06-512.pngMAGIC ITEMS Item_necklace_9.png

Equipped Items: (17.5 lbs.) Stored Items: (.8 lbs.)

Equipped items can be retrieved with a manipulate item interaction. Stored items can be retrieved with an action.

ARMOR/CLOTHING (13 lbs.) WEAPONS (3 lbs.) CARRIED/READIED ITEMS (11.5 lbs.) IN CONTAINERS (.6 lbs) STRAPPED TO BACKPACK (0 lbs.) AT HOME (-- lbs.) *She's paid for another week of modest lodging at the Sated Pheasant, a small inn and tavern located in an older part of the town near the docks. They get steady, regular business, but it usually doesn't get too loud or rowdy. Many of the older, more established captains, frequent the Sated Pheasant, looking for quiet.

Leather Armor - 10 gp (10 lbs.)

Common Clothes - 5 sp (3 lbs.)

2 Light crossbows (20 bolts) - 50 gp

Dagger (x2) - 4 gp (2 lbs.)

Belaying PinCora kept this, one of the items she recovered from the Red Lotus, her ship. Its seen better times and has burn marks from the event. Still, it keeps it fresh in her mind and gives her focus. She keeps it tucked into a slip knot on her belt and her left hand rests there on the pin most of the time. There or touching her spellcasting focus which she does frequently. - 1 sp (1 lbs.)

Scholar's Pack - 40 gp

Spellcasting FocusOval, ellipsoid, pendant 2 inches long and one inch wide of shaped and polished shell of her patron, Wrexial. Mounted in an silver "claw" clasp and strung on a silver chain she wears around her neck.

The shell is a deep green and deep blue with grays and the patterns and colors slowly shift across the surface. Like a slowly drifting current.
 - n/a gp (.5 lbs.)

Pouch - 5 sp (1 lbs.)

50 ft. Silk Rope - 10 gp (5 lbs.)

Navigator's Tools - 25 gp (2 lbs.)

Water SkinPartially Full: 3/5ths - 2 sp (3 lbs.)

Coins - 30 - 27 gp 3 sp (.6 lbs., PIn belt pouch.)

Rung from a ships wheel - ?? (??)

3 2x3 Yards of Sail - ?? (??)

Half a Wooden Yo-Yo - ?? (??)

Broken Silver Jewelry Box - 2 gp (2 lbs.)

Handle of a Lyre - ?? (??)

Strike denotes item was traded in or sold

CHARACTER OVERVIEW

Appearance
Hair: Dull gray with a slight blue tint Eyes: Cloudy white, solid, with a hint of blue-green. Complexion: Ashy gray with pale blue, "cracks" that almost look as if whitish-blue energy is escaping from them.

A lithe, wiry woman, Cora isn't very tall, or bulky, but she moves with an obvious grace and surety. She appears to actually stand mostly on the balls of feet without effort, comfortably in fact, and pivots without any real effort at all. Small breezes seem to rustle about her continuously, typically playing with her clothing and her blue-gray ashen hair even on days when the air is dead calm. Her skin is a dull, pale ash gray with a slight blue tint and small cracks that emanate with a blue-white energy are visible on her exposed skin. Her features are angular and her face is a narrow heart shape. Her eyes, a solid whitish blue-aqua color, have no pupil or iris. It is quite impossible to tell what she is actually looking at most of the time and even then, you're never quite sure.

spacer.pngBACKGROUND

Sailor

Personality Traits: "My friends know they can rely on me, no matter what. I protect those I call my friends and if I can't I'll sure as hell avenge them! Let their spirits rest in peace."

Ideals: "I'm committed to my crewmates, not to ideals."

Bonds: "Ruthless pirates murdered my captain and crewmates, plundered our ship, and left me to die. Vengeance will be mine."

Flaws: "Once I start drinking, it's hard for me to stop. I mean who wants to stop drinking? Why would someone do that? Crazy if you ask me! Hey, I need another pint here!"

Background Feature: Ship's PassageWhen you need to, you can secure free passage on
a sailing ship for yourself and your adventuring
companions. You might sail on the ship you served on,
or another ship you have good relations with (perhaps
one captained by a former crewmate). Because you're
calling in a favor, you can't be certain of a schedule or
route that will meet your every need. Your Dungeon
Master will determine how long it takes to get where
you need to go. In return for your free passage, you
and your companions are expected to assist the crew
during the voyage.

Backstory

"The ship burning above me, lighting the darkness, the bodies of my fallen shipmates drifting around me amongst the sinking debris... the nightmares will continue until I have our revenge!"

She was a wanderer by bloodline, the air itself that suffused her spirit created a restlessness that could not be bound. The open sea, travel to exotic places and new ports, trade goods of strange origin, unusual and unique people. All of these things drew her to the life of a sailor. Growing up in a small fishing village she could swim before she could walk, at least that's what her parents would jokingly tell her. When she joined the crew of the <???> they were both proud and sad, for they knew that it would be a long while before they would see their daughter again.

Her home, her ship, was overwhelmed. They had struck in the darkness of the night. A coordinated strike made in silence. The watch, lax as it was, overwhelmed without an alarm being called and the only surviving crew locked below decks. She had survived for the simple reason that she had been overlooked, her bunk was a small pocket shelf high up in the corner of the forecastle, above decks. A place not typically used for sleeping and out of sight from below as well thus it was overlooked in their assault. The  captain had been slain and the ship looted as she peered down at the invaders from her vantage point. Fixing each of their faces, the details of their clothing and tattoos upon her mind. She couldn't do anything yet but she would get her opportunity. Little did she know that their intent was to destroy the ship itself with all aboard. When the powder barrels blew the ship quite literally broke in half and the explosion itself killed the remaining crew, all but her. Beneath the water, without the need for air, she swore vengeance on those whom had taken her friends lives and the ship she had called home as the fragments that remained of the ship burned.

As the vow she swore filled her mind one of the casks of powder that hadn't exploded did so, almost directly in front of her. The force of the explosion slammed into her and thrusting her into unconsciousness. As she sank deeper she found herself in a different place, still beneath the waters, but there were ancient ruins all about her and an immense form towered over her. Despite its size it was veiled in darkness and she couldn't make is out. The small genasi woman could feel its presence, a palpable force, raw power that felt as if a tsunami were washing over her and with it as clear as day there came an offer. Become an avatar, eyes and ears of this being, and in return she would have the power she needed to fulfill her vow. To mete vengeance out on those whom had destroyed everything she held dear, all of her companions, her shipmates. Without hesitation she agreed and the pact with Wrexial, the Risen Deep, the mightiest of Zendikar's krakens, was sealed in that very moment and her eyes snapped open once more.

For the briefest of moments she had though it but a dream. A delusion from the blast that had struck her.

It was then that she realized; she was breathing the water she was in!

Her pact had without a doubt saved her life and she realized this within moments. Somehow moving through the water was easy now, she could dart through the debris about her as if she were in fact a fish. Instead of having to struggle to find a single piece of debris to take shelter on she was able to collect dozens of pieces of the ships hull, many lengths of rope to bind them, a good portion of ships stores, and various other salvage before they could sink into the depths below. With ready prey and her newfound speed in the water the sharks consuming her crewmates didn't even attempt to pursue her. Before the fires had ceased she'd bound enough of the scraps together that she could stand on them, the beginnings of a makeshift raft if you will. As she stood there she could see in the distance the ships flag responsible for what lay about her and her fallen companions now merely shark chum.

She gathered more salvage before exhaustion took her and she wrapped herself in one of the many scraps of sail that she had recovered, shielding herself from the morning sun as she drifted off to sleep, and her floating mass of shattered bound wood did the same on the open sea. The days that it took her to get to back to land were long but almost peaceful. Her fortune had been good, the flip side of the coin that had been the destruction of the ship and her crew, and the recovery of three casks of liquids (one of them rum and two of water) ensured that she would not go thirsty. With a pair of small matched sail pieces more than double her own height she managed to steer herself to land in just over 9 days. From there she set out to the east, away from the open sea and along the inlet towards Sea Gate, heading for the last port they'd been in, a place she knew at least in passing. A port that they'd been to more than a half dozen times and she had acquaintances, and at least a few friends. 

Player Information

What's your experience with D&D 5e?  Are you a new player?

I've been playing 5e on and off, for a couple years but nothing regular. I've been playing RPG's since the first printing of the "white" box, which was the first printing in an actual wooden box in '74. So for 47 years now.

How familiar are you with Zendikar?  Those with no knowledge of the world are more than welcome, and I'll include some world information soon!

I've played MtG for around 14~15 years on and off starting with Alpha and a LONG break after Arabian Nights. Came back to it about four years ago or so and played for a few years. Got tired of the quarterly churn and stopped playing. I know the card information, the quotes and whatnot but I haven't read any of hte Zendikar / MtG books / settings material to speak of.

What posting rate are you comfortable with?

I'm a programmer that works out of his home office... for companies scattered across the US (and international). I can post whenever and however frequently is desired. 😉

What colors of mana does your character use?

Cora is blue (minor illusion, eldritch blast, thunderwave, shocking grasp), black (eldritch blast, hex) and a dash of red (i.e. lightning, thunderwave, shocking grasp). I consider a couple of these as mixed even though they would likely not be in the game, for two reasons; firstly her patron is definitely blue and black sourced and secondly she's an air genasi, so blue and red I guess?

RedMana.png

smallBlueSphere.png

smallGreenSphere.png

smallInfoBlue.png

infoBlue.png

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)

Cora Blackwell - Air Genasi Fathom Warlockimage.jpeg.104b82e5916d4cc8f7c1b34ffe5f06c4.jpeg

AC: 13 | HP: 10/10| Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 12 | Spell Slots: 1st 2/2 | Darkvision: 60' | Misc: Lightning Resistance, Unending BreathYou can hold your breath indefinitely while you're not incapacitated.

The morning had been relatively uneventful. Compared to a few weeks ago, every day was. She had a small room, nothing really more than a small cubby in an inn near one of the numerous port docks. The few weeks she'd been here, in Sea Gate, had been little more than a blur as she'd gathered her wits about her. Her room and board were earned by simply managing the vermin in and around the inn, an easy enough, if mundane task that actually served her own purpose; refining her newly acquired powers.

She would wander around the building and focus on the beastly creatures, some of the larger ones nearly the size of a small cat, and release a swirling mass of blue-black energy at it. A small group of street urchins had taken to following along behind her, amused and entertained both by the strange magic the small woman wielded and the gruesome deaths of the vermin that pestered them as well. It was towards the end of the first week of her experimentation that she had suddenly created a large tentacle in the midst of a nest of them one day. The children had been quite entertained by that, and the small crowd had only grown since then. They stayed out of her way but tagged along at a distance and by the end of the second week would keep track of the vermin count and make bets among themselves every day, guessing how many it would be.

As she started toying with simple illusions many of them became even more interested, and bold as well, actually approaching her. She had become their entertainment there at that particular spot for the most part in those few weeks and many of them were quite friendly. The threat of bites from the vermin had never been as controlled, or contained, as it had been and they needed worry about bites, quite painful as well as dangerous as they often carried diseases with them.

This morning had been different of course, the announcement was the word on everyone's lips and she, as interested as anyone else, had made her rounds early. So it was that she found herself at the event, slipping through the crowd easily, along with an impressive number of others that had gathered there. Of course not all of them were there seeking a life of adventure and many were onlookers, the curious. In fact, there were more onlookers or street merchants hawking their wares to the crowd than there were actual candidates interested in the opportunity. Still, it was an event and an impressive one at that.

Now this is certainly a turnout. I can't even see where I'm going at this point! She considered the situation as she moved forwards.

Completely distracted by her thoughts she quite suddenly found herself standing in the open, having taken nearly a half dozen or more steps away from the crowd itself. Immediately around her there were only a handful of people really and they seemed to stand out, much like she did, despite her small stature.

"Oh, I hadn't meant, well, that is... hmm... hello there." She nodded and smiled to those around her, a good natured, friendly grin, almost infectious and without a scrap of hesitation.

She hadn't really considered the event and what it could mean for her in the least. As she stood there, a bit ahead of the general crowd, she noticed, belatedly that the "barrier" where she had broken through the crowd was a bit higher than her own height and she had quite literally passed right under it without having even noticed. She'd been so preoccupied with slipping between the much larger people around her.

OoC

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)

• 4 months later...

Level 2: Warlock 2

Hit Points: 10 + 7 (HD1d8+2ConMod) = 17

Class Features:

Eldritch Invocations

-- Agonizing Blast

-- Repelling Blast

New Spell Known: Create or Destroy Water

New Spell Slot