Massive Pathfinder 2E Humble Bundle Just Dropped

cailano

Core Rules, Gamemastery Guide, 3 Bestiaries, Fall of Plaguestone, complete Age of Ashes AP, and more. Basically, it's everything you'd need to run PF2E on Myth Weavers for the next five years.

Note, this is the "legacy" (their word) 2E material, not the post-D&D-purge material.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/pathfinder-second-edition-legacy-bundle-paizo-books?hmb_source=&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_1_layout_index_1_layout_type_threes_tile_index_1_c_pathfindersecondeditionlegacybundlepaizo_bookbundle

On 12/7/2023 at 5:23 PM, cailano said:

Core Rules, Gamemastery Guide, 3 Bestiaries, Fall of Plaguestone, complete Age of Ashes AP, and more. Basically, it's everything you'd need to run PF2E on Myth Weavers for the next five years.

Note, this is the "legacy" (their word) 2E material, not the post-D&D-purge material.

Is this stuff good? I've never really looked at Pathfinder. Is it fun to read? Is it easy to file off the serial numbers and use the ideas in other games?

And, I know there was some recent news about them purging D&D material, but what happened there? Is there a 3e, minus beholders? Or is it like 2.5e?

I think so. Now, I don't play it for the setting, but the APs and the rules materials are all pretty easy to port into other stuff.

Note: the bundle does not include the recently released "Remaster" material: Player Core and GM core. The Remaster stuff is compatible with the legacy 2E stuff, requiring minimal adjustments, but it is a thing.

I ran a game of PF2E for my kids and they liked it. You have three actions per turn, so it feels like you get to do a lot. Hit points are inflated in order to deal with the greater incoming damage.

It's a high-crunch fantasy system with rules to cover just about anything. If that's the style of game you like, PF2E looks good.

If you prefer rules-lite games like Castles and Crusades, this is a different kind of game.

I tend to prefer lighter games but if it were between PF2E and 5E I would go with the former. The Golarion setting is good and Paizo's APs are some of the best in the business. Mechanically, PF2E looks rock solid.

On 12/8/2023 at 8:17 PM, pesukarhu said:

And, I know there was some recent news about them purging D&D material, but what happened there? Is there a 3e, minus beholders? Or is it like 2.5e?

So a bit of clarity: Remaster is more of a refresh, application of errata, and a few tweaks to some of the under-performing classes (like Witch and Alchemist, IIRC). 90% of the changes is termology based, like Flat-footed being renamed to Off-Guard, or spell names getting really bland and terrible names. If anything, the biggest shake up is the removal of Alignment from the system, which has sparked many arguments online.

That said, if you like crunchy tactical combat, PF2e is peak design, IMO. It manages to be fairly well balanced across the board, well written, consistently designed, and makes playing and running it fairly easy despite the number of rules at play. It helps that a lot of the mechanics are pretty consistent, making it easy to make educated guesses when you have to make judgement calls. But you gotta like tactical combat, because that's the core of the system. Teamwork is critical to its success.