Pilot / Jinue Vojka

A Being from Beyond

A... presence... wandered the cosmos. It had no name, for names were not things it had ever had any need of. It had no form, for it existed in a realm where the physical and the mental were much the same. It was alien, enigmatic, inscrutable... and it was bored.

Once, there had been other beings like it. Now, they were all gone. It wandered, searching, perhaps seeking any of these others that might still remain... perhaps simply seeking anything that could stimulate its intellect in this vast, empty world.

Then, it felt something. A kind of call, like a faint note on the edge of hearing or a pinprick of light in the darkness (not that notes or light meant anything in the world of the wanderer). Intrigued, it investigated. The beacon came from afar, from a world far beyond its own, a world of matter and life. How strange!

A Child of War

Jinue's anguish could be contained no longer; it erupted in a violent wail from her throat. She clutched her sister's body... dead. So many of them were dead! And for what? A foolish charge in the name of arrogance and idiocy! Mindless killing; a war that had been raging so long that nobody could even remember why they were fighting in the first place. Why couldn't she have stopped it? Why!?

Shouts sounded; the battle still raged on. The few survivors on her side were routing, running for their lives as the enemy tried to finish them off. Demons flew overhead, summoned by their vanquishers. Furious - not just with them, but with her own leaders - Jinue drew in as much power as she could. She would die here, but let her at least avenge their deaths! She sucked in more, so much she could hardly contain it, and then more again. Her vision seemed to waver; black lightning arced across the battlefield around her. As she began to tear apart the veil she sensed the demons whirling, noticing her at last and rushing to stop her - but it was too late! She could feel others coming now, powerful beings who wanted only to enter their world. Dark, terrible, indisputably evil, they would nevertheless do her bidding and destroy her enemies! She felt a great and evil intelligence enter her mind, far stronger than any of these lesser spirits... but it was too strong! It seemed to laugh, deep and terrifying, as she felt it seize control of her body. It's very presence seemed to send her attackers reeling and she felt its power wracking her body, almost too great to be contained. It would kill her, or consume her - but if she could only have her revenge, then so be it!

With a flick of her fingers she obliterated a squad of enemy soldiers; bolts of energy burned the demons to a crisp. Someone was shouting, telling her to stop - but it was too late. She laughed... or did he laugh, with her voice? She was losing herself... surely she had only seconds left to live.

No

Another voice cut through the chaos.

This one's mine.

Suddenly, something changed. The demon within her seemed to lose his grip. She paused, confused, her mind full enough of death and pain and his overwhelming desire to destroy and consume. What was happening? She had never heard of anything like this before.

Go on! Shoo! Shoo!

As quickly as he had arrived, the demon was... dislodged? He didn't seem happy; she could feel him struggling, raging - and yet in but a matter of moments, her was gone.

She felt her body moving of its own accord, and watched her hands turning as if she'd never seen them before. "Well," she said, the words springing unbidden to her lips. "This is rather strange, isn't it?"

Jinue Vojka

Pilot

spacer.png

spacer.png

Name: Jinue Vojka [jin-WAY VOY-ka]
Race: Human (Skaijkan)
Alignment: Neutral Good
Classes: Thaumaturge | Hedgewitch (ish)
Party Role: None

Name: Pilot [PAI-lot]
Race: Unknown
Alignment: Alignments are a mortal concept
Classes: None
Party Role: Melee combat, antimage, skill-monkey

Background

A trainee demon-summoner from a land ravaged by magical wars, Jinue was so distraught after the slaughter of her company that she tried to channel a far more powerful demon than anyone was capable of. Fortunately for her, she managed to reach beyond the planes of evil and chaos to a realm beyond, where the mysterious but seemingly benevolent entity now known only as "Pilot" dwelt.

Appearance

Skaijkan humans seem to be similar to those from parallel worlds, but on the whole stronger and more elegant. Perhaps their long magical heritage with seems to give many of them a penchant for conjuration infused the population with something more - but whatever the case, Jinue is no exception. Tall, willowy and strong, she is as athletic and attractive as any of her kin. Beyond that, however, there is little remarkable about her features; she is neither uncommonly pretty or ugly, of average height, and usually sporting an uncertain expression which belies her youth and inexperience.

Personality

Ever since that fateful day, Jinue has been distant and reserved. In a way, she considers that her life did end when her company were killed, and has no problem playing host to Pilot and its strange whims. In fact, doing so has given her a kind of solace - and certainly a form of companionship, however bizarre - and she accompanies it on its explorations with good cheer even as she lets it take charge of her body for its own ends.

Background

An inscrutable being from a plane quite unlike our own, the being that now goes only by the name "Pilot" has decided to visit the material realms in an attempt to understand more about them and their inhabitants. Having formed a strange bond with the novice demon-summoner Jinue, Pilot now occupied and uses her body in order to experience the material world.

Appearance

As an incorporeal passenger in Jinue's body, Pilot has no appearance of its own. Nevertheless, it is quite obvious when it is in control. It's - or rather, Jinue's - eyes seem to burn with an alien power, and it holds itself in a far more assertive manner. It moves with a lithe but alien grace, and seems constantly to be looking at and inspecting everything around it as if it had never seen any of it before... which, given its origins, may at times actually be the case.

Personality

Alien, enigmatic and unknowable, Pilot does not think like other beings and, if it can truly be said to have a "personality", it is not one that mere mortals can comprehend.

Or at least, that's what it would have you think. Actually, Pilot is in many ways like a newborn babe discovering the world for the first time, and even now often finds itself flummoxed by even the simplest of concepts. Curious, inquisitive, and oddly irreverent, Pilot spends a surprising amount of its time poking at and playing with whatever it finds intriguing, joking and wisecracking, and generally seeking out fun and amusement.

Jinue and her Pilot have an unusual relationship, in that they inhabit the same body. They are, ultimately, as physically close as two individuals are ever able to be. Unfortunately, having only one body between two minds means that they must share, and take it in turns - but, perhaps surprisingly, Jinue is quite happy to take a back seat most of the time. Though she still remains as an independent intelligence, the merging of the two has left her as something of a shadow of her former self - a bundle of thoughts and memories but not someone who really knows how to exist on her own any more. Thus, her name for her mysterious guest: Pilot. Pilot is more than happy to take charge of navigating the physical world, something which continues to fascinate and astound it. Most of the time, Jinue continues to be present and aware, but is happy to sit back and simply enjoy the ride.

Prior to Pilot's arrival, Jinue had never contemplated visiting another plane of existence. With the mess that her home world is in, however, she was more than happy to let it guide her on its adventure across the multiverse. She isn't sure if the Realmwalking is all Pilot's doing or if it's a power she herself has - either one which she had all along but simply didn't know about, or something which was catalysed by contact with this otherworldly entity.

Edited by TheFred (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Mechanics

Statblock
%5BURL%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.myth-weavers.com%2Fsheet.html%23id%3D2866477%5D%5BB%5DJinue%20Vojka%20%2F%20Pilot%5B%2FB%5D%5B%2FURL%5D%0A%5BB%5DSenses%3A%5B%2FB%5D%20Perception%20%2B10%2C%20%5BB%5DInit%3A%5B%2FB%5D%20%2B6%0A%5BB%5DHP%3A%5B%2FB%5D%2095%2F95%2C%20%5BB%5DDR%3A%5B%2FB%5D%205%2Fadamantine%0A%5BB%5DAC%3A%5B%2FB%5D%2043%2C%20%5BB%5DTouch%3A%5B%2FB%5D%2028%2C%20%5BB%5DFlat-footed%3A%5B%2FB%5D%2035%2C%20%5BB%5DCMD%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%2042%0A%5BB%5DSaves%3A%5B%2FB%5D%20Fort%20%2B14%2C%20Ref%20%2B13%2C%20Will%20%2B9%20%20(roll%20twice)%0A%5BB%5DSpell%20Points%3A%5B%2FB%5D%2025%2F37%2C%20%5BB%5DMartial%20Focus%3A%5B%2FB%5D%20Yes%0A%5BB%5DSpecial%3A%5B%2FB%5D%20Spell%20Resistance%2026%0A%5BB%5DActive%3A%5B%2FB%5D%20Armoured%20Magic%20aegis%20x2%2C%20Deflection%20aegis%2C%20Resistance%20aegis%2C%20Foreshadow%20sense%2C%20Prescience%20sense%2C%20The%20Fool%20motif%2C%20The%20Emperor%20motif%2C%20The%20Tower%20motif%20Enhance%20Equipment%20(fists)%2C%20Enhance%20Equipment%20(NA)
Jinue Vojka / Pilot
Senses: Perception +10, Init: +6
HP: 95/95, DR: 5/adamantine
AC: 43, Touch: 28, Flat-footed: 35, CMD: 42
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +13, Will +9 (roll twice)
Spell Points: 25/37, Martial Focus: Yes
Special: Spell Resistance 26
Active: Armoured Magic aegis x2, Deflection aegis, Resistance aegis, Foreshadow sense, Prescience sense, The Fool motif, The Emperor motif, The Tower motif Enhance Equipment (fists), Enhance Equipment (NA)

This is an attempt at building a character around the Channel Companion talent (something I’ve tried before, but that other character never saw play). It is, admittedly, a bit of a rules headache, but it mostly means using the companion’s BAB for attacks (which is only +8, more than Jinue’s but less than a full-BAB class). The two big bonuses are getting Master of Cosmos and the bonus from a staff of Conjuration to AB/skills as well - and, perhaps more importantly, the fact that Jinue can still take actions, albeit mental ones only (though that’s not something I’m planning on abusing - I haven’t really built around it).

The flip side is that possession has a bunch of funky restrictions and I have to jump through a few hoops (like boosting CL quite high) to make this work.

Strengths: Pilot has a good AB thanks to Master of Cosmos, but not inordinately high, and a moderate damage output (being about 25/hit for each of a potential four attacks). However, Bestial Spirit from Alteration offers trip on unarmed strikes (or we have Whirlwind Knockdown) which potentially means an extra Snap Kick attack with save-or-be-staggered. Pilot also has Intimidate options, either AoE or via Jinue’s Cornugon Smash, and its 10ft reach is pretty great particularly with Mageguard/Disruptive. Between them they also have decent defences - Alteration for SR and DR, pretty high AC from Protection and The Fool for saves.

Weaknesses: Frankly very little utility, short of Intimidate and roll-twice Knowledge checks. Some mobility, but no ranged options, possibly needs to find some teleportation and/or a way to deal with flight. If able to close with casters they can probably make life difficult with Disruptive (probably leaning on Position to stay close) but that may prove difficult. Saving throws aren't great.

Adjusting power level: Partly this depends on a couple of rulings, but I could probably squeeze out a little more power if necessary. On the other hand, if the power level is too high, it's easy to drop a few of the bonuses. The AB in particular is high (though lots of people are targeting touch AC, and we're not); they should be able to hit most CR ~13-14 bestiary foes (roughly the sorts of things I'd be expecting to face) pretty easily.

Level breakdown:

1      Wizard | Unchained Monk
 2 Thaumaturge | Hedgewitch

3 Thaumaturge | Hedgewitch
 4 Thaumaturge | Hedgewitch
 5 Thaumaturge | Hedgewitch
 6 Thaumaturge | Hedgewitch
 7 Thaumaturge | Hedgewitch
 8 Thaumaturge | Arcanist
 9 Thaumaturge | Incantrix

Shadow Boxer isn’t there just as a great dip (and actually we have access to Prescient Dodger already) but there’s a bit of a darkness sub-theme which hopefully works with Pilot’s scariness - I’ve got Shadow Boxing, a tiny splash into the Dark sphere, and Gloom Blast on the Blast Vessel fists.

Race: Human (Skaijkan)

Ability Scores: Skaijkan Humans have +2 to Dex and Con and +4 to Str and Cha but suffer -2 Wis.
Medium: Humans are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Normal Speed: Humans have a base speed of 30 feet.
Bonus Feat: Humans select one extra feat at 1st level.
Conjuror: Many Skaijkan Humans have an affinity for demon-summoning. They gain Basic Magical Training with the Conjuration sphere as a bonus feat.
Languages: Humans begin play speaking Common
Lucky: Skaijkan Humans are resilient and gain a +1 bonus to saving throws.
Multitalented

+2 RP

Posted (edited)

Skaijka

The world of Skaijka is one torn apart by warring nations who have been fighting so long the reasons for it have been consumed by hatred, violence, and a constant vying for power. Occasionally, deals will be done, fire may cease between one party and another for a time, or allegiances may shift entirely, but war has become so much a part of life that it seems unable ever to be stopped completely.

The technology on Skaijka is advanced, at least when it comes to the art and science of weaponry, for that great motivator breeds murderous innovation. Primarily, however, the peoples of this world have turned to the art of demonology, summoning creatures from planes beyond to grant them dark and dangerous lore or great and terrible powers. Skaijkans seem to have an affinity for such conjurations, and have reached far into the darkness of the cosmos in search of entities who can lend them their strength in exchange for the chance to taste their world. A few scholars have suggested that perhaps this demon-summoning is itself part of the problem, as the taint of these chaos-loving creatures serves only to fuel the darkness in men’s hearts and perpetuate the never-ending, world-encompassing conflicts. The demons and their channellers, however, a central to every army on the planet, and to forsake them is to suffer a strategic disadvantage that will surely cost any side who would be so bold the entire war.

The World of Pilot

Beyond the planes we know, beyond even the roiling Abyssal chaos from which demons are summoned, lie even stranger realms. Realms of spirit and thought, where pure consciousnesses once danced amidst astral seas that have no size or form. This is the world of Pilot, a world even more alien even to those demons of the Abyssal realm than they are to us.

Pilot is coy about this world, claiming that mere mortals cannot comprehend it, let alone visit. One gets the sense, however, that it itself does not entirely know. It seems that, in one sense or another, this is a dead world, and that the vast inscrutable intellects that existed (in whatever form) have mostly now ceased to do so. It seems that Pilot either came into being just as the rest of its world was dying, and is left just as puzzled over its state as anyone, or perhaps fell prey to the same degradation and has forgotten everything that came before. Perhaps this explains why Pilot, though ancient, is so remarkably childlike and eager to learn about the planes beyond.

I’ve added a little bit about mechanics, and a little bit of world lore.

On Pilot, I’ll probably add a bit more, but it’s realm is beyond mortal comprehension and I don’t want to addle your brain by exposing you to it.

I also have some mechanics questions, but mostly minor - and mostly to do with the headache that is Wraith possession (Pilot possesses Jinue as a L18ish Wraith). Mostly Pilot can use all of Jinue’s abilities (but not skill ranks?), that’s pretty straightforward, it’s more stats that I’m not sure about - we don’t recalculate “derived stats” (so their AC, for example, doesn’t change, they still use Jinue’s Cha for her Monk AC, etc) but I don’t believe that applies to e.g. attacks as the possessor makes those. I think that also means that if, for example, Jinue takes the Knowledge is Power arcane discovery (add Int mod to CMB), Pilot can use it to add it’s Int mod to its own manoeuvres. This is all just a little bit ambiguous though so might take some figuring out.

That's a fun(ny) build!
I'm curious, why this over e.g. Wraith and a Leadership sphere cohort?

Indeed, it seems like many rulings would be needed. Probably no two people will rule exactly the same but, based on what I read, I think I'd be inclined to grant Knowledge is Power. On the other hand, perhaps unlike you, I'm not sure Master of Cosmos would apply, since I'd classify it as either a Passive Special Ability or an Ongoing effects that targets the body (for the attack bonus, and the bonus to physical skills).

What counts as a mental vs a physical enhancement is probably going to be the other main point of confusion (if Jinue casts a motif on herself, does Pilot get the benefit? Can she cast it directly on Pilot instead? But if it just boosts a stat that possessing doesn’t change then it’s probably fine). Master of Cosmos doesn’t target, mind you, it’s just a circumstance bonus. I’d also be inclined to think that if BAB is mental, most(?) AB bonuses are too. 🤷‍♂️

The primary advantage of it being this way around is that Pilot’s effective Wraith level is equal to the Conjuration CL it was summoned with, which gives it better active possession options. I guess I hadn’t really weighed up the other pros and cons… you probably don’t really need the L12+ abilities if the possessee is only a cohort, but then the possessee doesn’t need BAB so it may as well be a casting class… I also kind of figured there might be fewer rules headaches if you just got everything 😃 (though, as I’ve subsequently realised, you don’t anyway as things like skill ranks appear to have been missed).