A Stroll Around the City (OOC Chatter)

Gunu

Hello! Very interested in City of Mists, such a flavorful system.

I think the Themebooks section answers this question, but would you allow the non-core rulebook themebooks? Like Enclave, Struggle and Familiar from Shadows & Showdowns?

Hi @Oceane, glad to hear of your interest! Yes, all themebooks from Shadows & Showdowns are permitted. I forgot to put that up in writing somewhere—I'll add a note to the Character Creation thread. If there are any other non-core themebooks, I'm don't have them on hand, so will need to adjudicate on a case-by-case basis.

Let me know if you have other questions!

Oh sweet, thank you! There are two new ones in Local Legends but I don't have the book either.

One question that came up with my own group when we made characters was if there were some Mythoi you'd rather not have, like modern stories, brands, or celebrities. A Twitter mythos isn't to the taste of everybody, hah.

Now to brainstorm!

Hah, so I'm generally open to whatever people are interested in, including modern stories and brandsbut I will say that celebrity (and real people) Mythoi might be a harder sell, at least to me. I can see celebrities being played as Rifts, certainly, but as Mythoi themselves? You'd have to make a compelling argument that they are somehow the source of the mythical powers rather than the avatar/vessel for them. :p

On 1/13/2024 at 3:15 PM, Oceane said:

Hello! Very interested in City of Mists, such a flavorful system.

I think the Themebooks section answers this question, but would you allow the non-core rulebook themebooks? Like Enclave, Struggle and Familiar from Shadows & Showdowns?

Oh you asked before I did. :')

3 hours ago, Gunu said:

@nomadzophiel Sounds intriguing! It's been a long time since I've read the stories and I'm curious to see your interpretation of the mythos.

The spin is that xenophobic writers like Chambers and Lovecraft are unreliable narrators writing unreliable narrators. The King spreads "madness" but it's madness as defined by people who consider anything outside of turn of the century monied white New England/New York to be "blasphemous".

What was the Bolshevik Revolution or paper money, monarchy or anarchy? They're ideas that spread like a disease until the "madness" became normal. What is The King In Yellow if not the personification of an idea from a book (the play of the same name) that spreads like a disease. Infectious ideas like that, they break down old systems, they cause people to break from their old patterns and behave in radically different, "mad" ways. They're dangerous if you have a stake in the status quo and liberating if the status quo is crushing you.

Starting out, Jack's spin on "madness" is to take the way people see themselves or who they wanted to be before life beat their ideals out of them and force it back to the forefront. The world says you can't be an emperor or protect your neighborhood from the crime syndicates or help people instead of arresting them, but when Jack says you can, you know deep in your heart that it's the world that's wrong. No mob enforcer grew up thinking "when I grow up, I want to beat up people I've never met just to make rent." They just need a little supernatural reminder of what's actually important to them.

Will his performance troupe become a cult? Can he control the spread? Or does he need to go bigger than one-on-one to really change The City? It's a more positive spin but it's still not entirely controllable. Even good ideas can lead to horrific things if taken too far. Just ask anyone from revolutionary France.

Now I just have to translate that to game terms.

Edited by nomadzophiel (see edit history)