Athena Steel (WIP)

Seandemonium

Been a long time away from Mythweavers, but love to roleplay. I have been interested in City of Mist for quite some time, but never have played it, and though I am familiar with PbtA games, I have to admit I am less experienced in that realm. Though I have been rping for far too many decades to count. :D

I thought I would toss a question or two here.

My thought is to offer a personification of Excalibur as my character concept. Not sure what her logos is yet, thinking PI, or cop, but really open. I see her as a protector in her normal life. Could be a enforcer and protector for a gang for that matter, really almost anything that offers personification of strength and protection.

I have the books, but have only begun to read them, despite my interest.

Looking at the game information, I see Relic is mentioned, but I believe that is something you carry with you to offer the mythos powers. I was thinking that they are more imbued in her. They might manifest as spectacular martial arts, or fighting skills, for example.

The more I read, Bastion seems to fit the character's core concept best.

I also could see it falling under Adaption or even Divination. Depending upon how you define the legend of Excalibur and what it means to the Arthurian legend.

I'm looking to start the conversation and see if this is interesting enough to you to want to continue to flesh things out. Open to any and all commentary and adjustment.

Edited by Seandemonium (see edit history)

Welcome back to MW, Seandemonium, and I'm glad to hear of your interest! It's also been a while since I've been active on these forums, but it seems I can't stay away. :p

This is my first go at MCing City of Mist, and it's great that I don't need to sell you on it, but I've thoroughly enjoyed playing it. It's stylish, fun, cinematic, atmospheric, educational, even—combining the flexibility of Fate with the intuitive structure of PbtA games. Thematically, you get urban fantasy, 'Modern Nights' intrigue, an atmospheric detective story, superhero psychopomp, and insert-your-favourite-Mythos-here in one package. I'm about to run this game for a group of friends IRL and I thought it might be well suited to PbP as well, given how much freedom players have.

To your question: Hell yes. I like Excalibur. I like where you're taking this concept. Relic would be playing it straight, but what I like about CoM is that you can interpret your Mythos however you see fit. For Excalibur to manifest as Bastion, I could see her being the weapon, with spectacular martial ability used in service of protecting or defending something. You could draw parallels between the Lady of the Lake (in that particular version of the Arthurian legend) giving 'Excalibur' to Arthur (but in this case, simply shaping your character into Excalibur) to protect the Mythos' own investments.

I'm curious how you'd interpret it to work with Adaptation or Divination. My impression is that Adaptation could manifest as the ability to pick up any weapon—improvised or otherwise—and kick ass with it. Every object is Excalibur when you're Excalibur. You may need to get a little creative with Divination, but maybe something like 'a sword that always strikes true'—a weapon that can sniff out evil? Or something involving the Lady of the Lake, as before.

That's my rambling take on it!

Thank you!

Glad to be back!

My brain did a twist tonight. Same concept except the character's mythos is a trickster god/goddess. Where the mythos is so good that it has convinced Athena that she is Excalibur even though that is a masquerade.

Back to the straight forward idea. Embodiment of the essence of The Lady of the Lake and shaping her into the weapon really sits well in my brain.

Leaning towards Bastion but Adaptation could work.

Glad it has traction enough to warrant further creation. I will copy over a template and get crafting.

I can't seem to get the code block to render.

Suggestions?

I have it saved offline and am editing, but when I put it in as a paste, it kept all the formating, but didn't complete into a proper post.

Ended up cloning Lila's sheet and editing it. Thanks Jonah!

image.png.4c26080c3bb3b315f8d304bf69359aec.png

Athena Steel

Excalibur

Name: Athena Steel
Nicknames: Steel, Detective Steel

Height: 5'6"
Build: Lithe and muscular
Demeanor: Hard-Boiled

Logos concept: Police Detective
Mythos concept: Personification of Excalibur

Logos

Logos

A Hard-Boiled Police Detective who teaches self defense classes after hours. She has an ex-wife and adopted daughter that she loves deeply even if they can't be together due to her devotion to the job.

You can develop your concept by speculating about:
(1) Why did this Mythos manifest through your character?
(2) What is your character's Secret Pain?

Mythos

Mythos

Being the personification of a sword created for justice, means she needs to protect those who can't protect themselves, and deliver justice without reservation.

Theme Cards

Bastion - Invulnerable

Mystery: Who am I here to protect and against what?

My mythos makes me invulnerable.

Attention: {_} {_} {_}
Fade: {_} {_} {_}

POWER TAGS

A) Invunrebality
B) What means do you have of extending protection to others? Can offer that protection/invulnerability to another. (Shield a person)
H) Who or what were your powers meant to protect? Those who can't protect themselves.

WEAKNESS TAGS

D) What personality trait derived from your defense gets you into trouble? Willingness to get personally involved at the expense of almost anything.

Expression - Remarkable Fighter

Mystery: Who am I here to defeat?

My mythos wants to spread justice for all

Fade: {_} {_} {_}

POWER TAGS

A) Personal martial arts - teaching others to protect themselves
C) Calm and Leadership - Self Confidence taught to others

F) Disabling without killing

WEAKNESS TAGS

D) Looking for the next big challenge, constantly trying to improve herself and help others improve themselves.

Routine
Police Detective

Identity: Serve and protect the people.

Others find me devoted to my job and the protection of others. Justice must be honored.

Crack: {_} {_} {_}

POWER TAGS

A) Police Detective
B) Police Privilages
E) Solve Crimes and better protect others

WEAKNESS TAGS

A) Just the job

Defining Relationship
Ex-wife and daughter

Identity: Love and Protect

I care for and love them deeply but I also need to protect them even if I can't be with them. My ex-wife doesn't know about my powers, but my young daughter does.

Crack: {_} {_} {_}

POWER TAGS

A) They are a reason to do what I do, on the most personal an intimate level.
D) A better person, less hard-boiled, more caring
G) Human, caring

WEAKNESS TAGS

A) Source of concern that they might get hurt in this world of ours

Crew

Crew

A list of your crew members, and the Hurt and Help points you have for each.

Name Help Hurt
Rift - -
Rift - -
Rift - -
Rift - -

Story Tags & Nemeses

Story Tags

A space for other permanent tags you might acquire during the game.

Nemeses

A list of the Nemeses you gained by replacing themes.

Character Progression

Development

A track of your overall character growth. When it's full, you reset it and choose a Moment of Evolution.

{_} {_} {_} {_} {_}

Moments of Evolution to choose from:

{_} Choose another broad power tag
{_} Gain an extra theme: Ally
{_} Gain an extra theme: Base of Operations
{_} Gain an extra theme: Ride
{_} Get closure from your Nemeses
{_} Go through a transformation
{_} Leave the City
{_} Make one Core Move permanently Dynamite!
{_} See through the Mist

• Max total size: 48.83 MB

Athena Steel.jpeg