Thodin Eversharp, Dwarven Paladin

JubalBreakbottle

Thodin Eversharp

Mining scion of Diamond Lake

dwarf-miner.jpg.85bb1a7d6cc7b115b288c89c21abafe7.jpg

"The desire for gold is not for gold. It is for the means of freedom and benefit."

PALADIN 1

Medium humanoid male (dwarf), Lawful Good

Armor Class 18 (chain mail & shield)

Hit Points 13 ( 1d10 +2 Con +1 Dwarf)
Speed 25 ft.

Senses Darkvision 60 ft, Passive Perception 12

Languages Common, Dwarvish, Gnomish

Proficiency Bonus +2

ABILITIES & SKILLS
Proficiency Bonus: +2

Strength 17 (+3)
Save +3 
Athletics +5

Dexterity 10 (+0)
Save +0 
Acrobatics +0 | Sleight of Hand +0 | Stealth +0

Constitution 14 (+2)
Save +2 
No skills associated.

Intelligence 8 (-1)
Save -1 
Arcana -1 | History -1 | Investigation -1 | Nature +1 | Religion -1

Wisdom 10 (+0)
Save +2
Animal Handling +0 | Insight +0 | Medicine +0 | Perception +2 | Survival +0

Charisma 15 (+2) 
Save +4 
Deception +2 | Intimidation +2 | Performance +2 | Persuasion +4

Bold denotes proficiency.

PROFICIENCIES & ABILITIES

PROFICIENCIES

• Tools Mason's tools, Carpenter's tools
  • Instruments none 
  • Weapons Simple & Martial
  • Armors Light, Medium, Heavy & Shields

PALADIN ABILITIES

Divine Sense (3 per Long)The presence of strong evil registers on your senses like a noxious odor, and powerful good rings like heavenly music in your ears. As an action, you can open your awareness to detect such forces. Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any celestial, fiend, or undead within 60 feet of you that is not behind total cover. You know the type (celestial, fiend, or undead) of any being whose presence you sense, but not its identity (the vampire Count Strahd von Zarovich, for instance). Within the same radius, you also detect the presence of any place or object that has been consecrated or desecrated, as with the hallow spell.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to 1 + your Charisma modifier. When you finish a long rest, you regain all expended uses.
 | Lay on Hands (5 per Long)

RACIAL TRAITS

Darkvision | Speed | Dwarven Resilience | Dwarven Combat Training | Tool ProficiencyYou gain proficiency with the artisan's tools of your choice: Smith's tools, brewer's supplies, or mason's tools. | StonecunningWhenever you make an Intelligence (History) check related to the origin of stonework, you are considered proficient in the History skill and add double your proficiency bonus to the check, instead of your normal proficiency bonus. | Dwarven ToughnessYour hit point maximum increases by 1, and it increases by 1 every time you gain a level.

FEATS

WEAPONS

MELEE

• Warhammer +5 to hit for (1d8+3) bludgeoning damage. | Versatile (1d10)

RANGED

• Handaxe +5 to hit for (1d6+3) slashing damage. | Light, thrown (20/60)

EQUIPMENT & ENCUMBERANCE

TOTAL ENCUMBERANCE (147.5 lbs.)

• Weight 145.5 lbs. / 255 lbs. max. (15 x STR Score)
  • Status Unencumbered
  • Penalty None

MONEY POUCH (0.5 lbs.)

Copper 0 | Silver 0 | Electrum 0 | Gold 25 | Platinum 0

(25 Coins x .02 lbs. = 0.5 lbs. Total Weight)

EQUIPMENT READIED (67 lbs.)

Equipped items can be retrieved with a manipulate item interaction.

• Armor (61 lbs.) Chain mail & Shield - 61 lbs.
  • Weapons (4 lbs.) Warhammer - 2 lbs. | Handaxe - 2 lbs.  
  • Readied Items (2 lbs.) Money Pouch - 1 lb. | Piece of chalk | Holy Symbol (Amulet) - 1 lb.

EQUIPMENT STORED (78 lbs.)

Stored items can be retrieved with an action.

• In Backpack (39 lbs.) Backpack - 5 lbs. | Mess Kit - 1 lbs. | Tinderbox - 1 lb. | Torches (8) - 8 lbs. | Rations (10 days) - 20 lbs. | Common Clothes - 3 lbs. | Lamp - 1 lb.
  • Strapped to Backpack (39 lbs.) Waterskin - 5 lbs. | Hemp Rope (50 ft) - 10 lbs. | Bedroll - 7 lbs. | Miner’s pick - 10 lbs. | Shovel - 5 lbs. | Caged canary - 2 lbs.

EQUIPMENT NOT CARRIED (--)

• At Home 

* Denotes magic item (see below)

MAGIC ITEMS

NON-ATTUNED

ATTUNED (0/3)

APPEARANCE

Age 50 | Height 4' 3" | Weight 185 lbs. | Hair Fiery orange | Eyes Pale Gray | Complexion Pale

This dwarf is built like a granite boulder, taller and broader of shoulder than his kin. His hair and well-groomed full beard are fiery orange that matches the twinkle his pale gray eyes. He is easy to laugh and smiles when he has nothing more to say. It shows that he loves life.

When working (which is almost every day), he wears a miner's helmet clearly signaling his profession and shoulders a laden rucksack with even more gear strapped on the outside: waterskin, rope, shovel, pick, and a caged canary. His clothes are simple and utilitarian, except for a necklace with an amulet of a ruby embedded within a rock in the shape of a mountain.

Ready to adventure, he wears a warhammer and handaxe on his belt securing chain mail and shoulders a shield and bedroll that are strapped to his rucksack on top of everything else. Although it appears that he wears an entire room of furniture on his back, he moves as if he could easily carry another roomful.

BACKGROUND

MINER
Source Midgard Heroes Handbook

• Personality Traits: 
    1. I want to leave my family, because it is time to see the world.
    2. I take pride in my work. Mining has taught me not to cut corners.
  • Ideals:
    1. Dedication. Hard work builds character. 
    2. Community. It’s our responsibility to keep our families and friends safe from the dark creatures of the depths and suffering from a lack of necessities.
  • Bonds: When my mother died, my uncle gave me her miner’s lamp. I keep it polished and bright, just like she did, in her memory.
  • Flaws: Wide open spaces make me uncomfortable.

Background Feature: Underground Adept

Your experience in the mines has taught you how to survive in underground environments. You are accustomed to dim light and can make Wisdom (Perception) checks without disadvantage in shadowy areas. You also have a good memory for the twists and turns of underground tunnels and passages, allowing you to retrace your steps unerringly through tunnels you’ve traversed before and to estimate how deep below ground you are.

Defining Moment: Nineteen years ago on her deathbed ill with the Red Death, Gemra Dourstone secured two pledges from her closet loved ones. From her son Thodin Eversharp, he must apprentice to his uncle until his Fullbeard Day and honor his mother by dedicating his life to the Stonewife. She gifted him her precious amulet blessed by Ulaa to forever remind him. From her brother Ragnolin Dourstone, he must raise her son as his own until his Fullbeard Day. After completing those last two negotiations, Gemra released her grip on life and joined her divine patron Ulaa in Her sacred hall.

BACKSTORY

Gemra Dourstone was a force of nature and lived as if Ulaa the Stonewife walked beside her everyday. She was brave and proactive, ready to seize any opportunities that present themselves. She believed that the hills will not yield their treasures to those who simply sit back and dream; action is necessary to gain their wealth, lest they be seized by others. This action, however, must be tempered by a devotion to the common good and a proper respect for the Oerth, the hills, and the mountains. Legitimate competition and initiative are things to be respected and admired, but these must be balanced with a consideration for due respect to the Oerth and the surrounding landscape when mining. Similarly, mineral wealth is not to be hoarded by an individual, because it is not meant simply for those who are strong enough to seize it but also for the greater good of the community. When considering a course of action, she balanced the considerations of both individual gain and the greater good of the community as a whole. She believed that it is not sinful to prosper while helping others, but this must be done in an honest manner, for the greater good.

While her younger brother Ragnolin Dourstone managed the family mine and was the face of the business, Gemra was its heart. She received love and admiration from her miners by treating them as family ensuring that their needs were well cared. She believed that Ulaa rewarded her dedication by showing her many new rich veins of precious metals and gems.

To this day, Ragnolin has not found another mineral vein as profitable as the ones Gemra found and worries about when they will exhaust. He kept his pledge to his sister and raised her son as if he was his own. Despite the barbs thrown over the years by Thodin and the pedestal on which Gemra occupies, Ragnolin has not thrown shade on Thodin's memory of his mother. He has not shared how sanctimonious she was and intolerant of other points of view. There a was reason that he managed the mine, because Gemra was incapable of dealing with the town leaders. He loved his sister but not the many relationships that he had to repair due to her pointed words. Since her passing, Ragnolin asked Thodin to handle the welfare of their miners rationalizing his lack of empathy with the need for Thodin to walk in his mother's footsteps.

About fifty five years ago, Durnim Eversharp was posted to the garrison in Diamond Lake. A charming and handsome dwarf with fiery orange hair, he could have had anyone and pursued the almost unattainable Gemra. After several years of courtship, she finally decided that she would have a child but not a husband. Durnim was reposted to Greyhawk without ever meeting Thodin. However, Gemra gave him his father's name, in case they would ever meet again.

Thodin Eversharp was born and raised in Diamond Lake. He has kept his word to his mother wearing her holy amulet of Ulaa and his faith on his sleeve. Besides becoming an excellent miner, he has carried on caring for the welfare of their miners. For example, he has learned the language of his gnome miners to show respect. Recently, his miners have realized that Thodin has developed healing hands but keep it to themselves within the family. On the other hand, Thodin has adopted his uncle's discretion and avoids wielding his faith like a weapon or shield.

The pledge to his mother to stay in Diamond Lake expired on his Fullbeard Day last month. While his uncle wants him to stay, the siren song to see more of Oerth is strong, so he actively listens for the next opportunity while looking after their miners. Perhaps, his travels will take him to Greyhawk and allow him to meet his father.

One of the forces pushing him to explore beyond Diamond Lake started several years ago. In their shallowest drift (mine tunnel), they broke through a grave containing skeletons. After destroying them, he realized that he could smell something that his fellow miners could not, a noxious odor beyond that what was in the grave. Undead are an anathema to Ulaa, so he has always wondered if there are others around Diamond Lake that must be destroyed.

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

3 hours ago, JubalBreakbottle said:

@bwatford Carnadine is ready for review and open for any suggestions. At 3rd level, I plan to take the Kobold subclass of Ghost Knight and have the Green Lady anoint him as a Green Knight. Hope I can play another game with you. Cheers

Solid application as usual. Good luck in final selection.

17 hours ago, bwatford said:

Solid application as usual. Good luck in final selection.

Thanks. I really love this character having played a version of him to 9th level. Unfortunately, I'm afraid he may be more interesting to me than you. And, the candidates at Dhampir and Fighter are already crowded for my taste. I know you like variety in parties, so I'm going to submit a Ratfolk Paladin and hopefully get more than a solid review.

cheers

Edit: I just saw the Ratfolk Rogue candidate. Back to the drawing board. Looking for something unique

On 1/17/2024 at 9:02 AM, JubalBreakbottle said:

@bwatford OK ready for review again. Final submission. I plan for Thodin to take the Oath of Plaguetouched in the Underworld Player's Guide and dedicate his life to destroying undead.

cheers

Again, another solid application, built out well, strong tie into the setting. Good leaping off point. And again, thanks for the application. We still have a few weeks to go, I wish the best of luck to you in final selection, as always.

• 4 weeks later...

PC

Thodin Eversharp Dwarven Paladin 1Thodin.png.94f4c89b43ed50684ae363f0c135b859.png

AC: 18 (chain mail and shield) | HP: 13/13 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 12 
Lay on Hands: 5/2 | Divine Sense: 2/2 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Post goes here.

"Speech"

thoughts in italics

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Shield

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.