Chapter 02c-2: Shadow of War (Mery & Kalasääski)

Kamishiro_Rin

spacer.png                       Meryelle "Mery" Keryndon

Level 4 Half-Elf Sage College of Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Leather Armor) | HP: 30/30 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 11, Passive Insight 11, Passive Investigation 14
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+4) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 11 (+0) | Cha: 18 (+6)
Languages:  Common, Elven, Solamnic, Kharolian, and Draconic
Spell-casting: +6 or DC 141st 3/4 2nd 0/3 | Bardic Inspiration: 1/4

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’ | My actions

Mery gets as far in her note-taking as finishing the group's appearance before the leaders of Kalaman when the obsidian pendant mysteriously appears around her neck. She quickly puts away her writing tools and slips the chest and then her blanket back into her backpack. She then tries to remove the necklace by pulling it over her head, to no avail. Attempting to cut and untie the cord similarly yield no results—the necklace remains around her neck. "Drat those witches!" she mutters, assuming by their earlier promises to teach her powerful magic that they must be the cause of both the pendant's appearance and her inability to remove it. She studies it for a moment and finds some runes on the back of the main obsidian stone. Below the runes is a large inscribed circle with nothing in it but an underline, as though a character would be there but isn't. She quickly searches her memory to determine if she's ever read anything about a pendant like this and if she's ever read anything about how to destroy obsidian.

She quickly realizes that she's never read a thing about a pendant like this and that she's going to need to think for a few minutes about the obsidian question. She also realizes that a spell that helps with languages might help her understand the runes and the potentially missing character, but she does not know that spell. 'It might be possible to get a scroll with that spell once we get back to Kalaman, assuming this pendant doesn't trap me here. I suppose I could also examine the runes and underline to see if there is an illusion perhaps masking the character.' She lifts the stone without removing the pendant and studies the runes and underline for several moments.

She then mounts Handsome, telling her horse, "I think it's time that you and I tried to get out of here. With any luck, I'll remember something about how to destroy obsidian while we move. With better luck, the stone can be destroyed while the pendant is still around my neck."

She guides Handsome back toward the road but remains behind cover. She's about to check for traffic on the road when a thought hits her. 'Gee, if Kalasääski was an illusion for most of the time I thought they were with me, is everything I think I'm seeing also an illusion? What kind of power do those witches have, anyway?' She studies her surroundings closely, trying to determine if things are real or not.

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Reaction:

Movement:

Object Interaction:

Mount Action:

Mount Movement:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.
                                                                                   Hit:  (1d6 + 2) piercing damage. 

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.
                                                   Hit: (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.
                                                                   Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Hit: (1d4+2) piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

Bardic Inspiration (4 per long rest, for 1d6)

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Cutting Words (requires use of bardic inspiration)

Also at 3rd level, you learn how to use your wit to distract, confuse, and otherwise sap the confidence and competence of others. When a creature that you can see within 60 feet of you makes an attack roll, an ability check, or a damage roll, you can use your reaction to expend one of your uses of Bardic Inspiration, rolling a Bardic Inspiration die and subtracting the number rolled from the creature’s roll. You can choose to use this feature after the creature makes its roll, but before the GM determines whether the attack roll or ability check succeeds or fails, or before the creature deals its damage. The creature is immune if it can’t hear you or if it’s immune to being charmed.

Heat Metal

Until the spell ends (up to 1 minute), you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage (1d8 fire damage for each level the spell is cast at, minimum 2nd level) again.

Ammunition:

14 arrows in quiver, 0 arrow bundles in backpack.

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 2nd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bard spells available for spontaneous casting: 

• Cantrips (3/3 slots): prestidigitation, vicious mockery, message
  • 1st level (4/4 slots): healing word, hideous laughter, cure wounds, unseen servant
  • 2nd (3/3 slots): invisibility, heat metal, enhance ability

Class Features:

• 3/3 Bardic Inspiration, recovered after a long rest
  • Song of Rest (Use on any short rest - anyone who hears her performance and chooses to regain a hit die gains an extra 1d6 of HP.)
  • Jack of All Trades (add 1/2 proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.)
  • Bardic College = College of Lore. Gain expertise in 2 skills you already have proficiency in, and proficiency in 3 new skills. (Choosing Persuasion and Deception for Expertise, adding Nature, Stealth, and Religion for Proficiency.)

OOC

OOC comments, if I have them, go here.

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)
Name
Arcana check - any idea what the necklace does?
1d20+4 1
Nature check - how to destroy obsidian?
1d20+4 11
Investigation - is there an illusion on the necklace?
1d20+4 18
Investigation 2 - are Mery's surroundings real?
1d20+4 10

Arcana Check Result: Mery recalls that the Istarans used these black stones to travel to the plane of the gods and back, as well as used them as communication devices with said gods. Often the gods would answer the summons of the possessor of the stone, though sometimes they’d be rather put out to do so. Some of the evil and neutral gods often just ignored such summons, so if no one answers her “call”, Mery can surmise that this is a stone for one such god. Probably. OOC: I don’t believe in Boolean answers to knowledge checks—either knowing something, or not knowing it. The way I handle knowledge checks is this: if your check fails by 5 or less, then I will present you will vague information that doesn’t really answer your question, but I’ll point you in the right direction; i.e., she’ll remember a place or person she could ask to get the answer. If your check fails by 6 or more, then I will present you with two or three possibilities, one of which will be mostly right, if somewhat inaccurate, the other(s) false—she’ll recall all of those as possible answers, and I’ll leave it to you to decide which one she wants to believe. If she rolls a 1—which you did, here—then I will present blatantly false information that she will firmly believe until proven otherwise.

Re: Obsidian: Mery can recall that she read about primitive peoples using bones, antlers, or other stones to chip away at obsidian they found lying around to make extraordinarily sharp spear tips and knives. However, if she attempts to chip this away, she finds that it receives nary a scratch nor mar upon its surface.

Re: Illusion on the pendant: There does not appear to be any illusion on the necklace. However, a detect magicthere is a blindingly bright layer of abjuration magic, two layers of transmutation spellwork, and a layer of conjuration magic on the stone. The powerful abjuration magic, she can guess without even trying to recall anything, is almost certainly why this thing is so impervious. spell reveals . . .

Re: Surroundings: Yes, as far as she can tell, everything around her is real. OOC: Just to reassure you, the player, Mery’s surroundings are real.

spacer.png                       Meryelle "Mery" Keryndon

Level 4 Half-Elf Sage College of Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Leather Armor) | HP: 30/30 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 11, Passive Insight 11, Passive Investigation 14
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+4) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 11 (+0) | Cha: 18 (+6)
Languages:  Common, Elven, Solamnic, Kharolian, and Draconic
Spell-casting: +6 or DC 141st 3/4 2nd 0/3 | Bardic Inspiration: 1/4

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’ | My actions

Mery grumbles when her efforts to destroy the pendant also prove fruitless, although she does find its function rather intriguing. 'Why would those witches send me a pendant that would allow me to summon a god? The only god I'd be interested in summoning at the moment is Mishakal, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have any reason to let me summon her. If they, or at least one of them, is some kind of god, then it stands to reason they'd want a way to communicate, since they want me to stay so that so-called 'Auntie Dentdever' can leave. Only I don't want any pendant I can't remove when I want to, even if summoning a god sounds kind of interesting.'

She tells Handsome, "I think the solution is to avoid using the pendant for as long as possible. I have no interest in summoning those witches or any other god whose pendant gives me such a strong case of the willies when I look at it. I kind of wish now that I knew that spell that lets you tell what kind of magic an item uses. And something stronger than stone, bone, or antler wielded by someone stronger than I am might be able to destroy the pendant, too, although I kind of doubt it. Still, one never knows anything for certain without trying. Let's hope it doesn't come down to something crazy like me having to die for the pendant to become removable."

Upon determining that her surroundings are real, she studies the road, not wanting to venture onto it until she's ascertained that there is no one else in sight. As it is, she's tempted to remain where she is until her companions pass by. 'What bothers me is that I didn't notice when the real Kalasääski vanished. Why was that? How far away do I need to get from those witches to be out of the range of whatever they did?'

"I think I should leapfrog ahead to the next cover and move toward Tatina's and away from the witches."

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Reaction:

Movement:

Object Interaction:

Mount Action:

Mount Movement:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.
                                                                                   Hit:  (1d6 + 2) piercing damage. 

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.
                                                   Hit: (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.
                                                                   Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Hit: (1d4+2) piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

Bardic Inspiration (4 per long rest, for 1d6)

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Cutting Words (requires use of bardic inspiration)

Also at 3rd level, you learn how to use your wit to distract, confuse, and otherwise sap the confidence and competence of others. When a creature that you can see within 60 feet of you makes an attack roll, an ability check, or a damage roll, you can use your reaction to expend one of your uses of Bardic Inspiration, rolling a Bardic Inspiration die and subtracting the number rolled from the creature’s roll. You can choose to use this feature after the creature makes its roll, but before the GM determines whether the attack roll or ability check succeeds or fails, or before the creature deals its damage. The creature is immune if it can’t hear you or if it’s immune to being charmed.

Heat Metal

Until the spell ends (up to 1 minute), you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage (1d8 fire damage for each level the spell is cast at, minimum 2nd level) again.

Ammunition:

14 arrows in quiver, 0 arrow bundles in backpack.

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 2nd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bard spells available for spontaneous casting: 

• Cantrips (3/3 slots): prestidigitation, vicious mockery, message
  • 1st level (4/4 slots): healing word, hideous laughter, cure wounds, unseen servant
  • 2nd (3/3 slots): invisibility, heat metal, enhance ability

Class Features:

• 3/3 Bardic Inspiration, recovered after a long rest
  • Song of Rest (Use on any short rest - anyone who hears her performance and chooses to regain a hit die gains an extra 1d6 of HP.)
  • Jack of All Trades (add 1/2 proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.)
  • Bardic College = College of Lore. Gain expertise in 2 skills you already have proficiency in, and proficiency in 3 new skills. (Choosing Persuasion and Deception for Expertise, adding Nature, Stealth, and Religion for Proficiency.)

OOC

OOC comments, if I have them, go here.

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)
Name
Perception - is the road clear?
1d20+1 13
Survival - which way toward Tatina's?
1d20+1 6