Maple Corbett - Rift of Cerberus

Sapphic Reiver

cerbussy.png.b416b40c492dd0d53876c8a3f88dfa35.png

Maple Corbett

Cerberus the Hound of Hades

Name: Maple Corbett

Height: 5'2 / 157 cm
Build: Small, Soft, Exceptionally Feminine.
Demeanour: Reserved & polite, hardworking and quiet.

Logos concept: A social recluse cursed with a gorgeous appearance, who retreated into the world of sewing and tailoring to escape the eyes and desires of those around her. Maple wants to live a quiet life away from other people. Yet somehow she always finds herself amongst the crowd. Or the subject of admiration from the crowd.
Mythos concept: One of the three heads of Cerberus, unfortunately Maple is the most reserved head of Cerberus and the only one to have actually awoken. After identifying and deciding she would guard the sleepers of the other two heads, she discovered one day, that they had vanished. Maple struggles with being tied to the Mythos of Cerberus, her enhanced senses making sensory overload a very real issue and her compulsion to hunt down the souls who escaped Hades have proven to be counterintuitive to her dream of hermitage.

Logos

Logos

A description of your character's mundane persona, including their occupation (if any), demeanor, appearance, and personality.

You can develop your concept by speculating about:
(1) Why did this Mythos manifest through your character?
(2) What is your character's Secret Pain?

Mythos

Mythos

A name and description of the legend awakened within your character. It can be a person, being, item, prophecy, or location from any story, mythology, legend, folklore, fairytale, literary work, urban legend, religious tale, concept, or real-world event.

Theme Cards

Divination
Custodian of the Damned

Mystery: How many of the damned have escaped hades in my absence?

Searching for the escaped damned and those yet to be damned, to send them to Hades. Allowing Cerberus to detect the souls of the guilty.

Maple can track the sins of a damned soul, allowing her to determine who will arrive - or have escaped from - Hades.

Attention: {_} {_} {_}
Fade: {_} {_} {_}

POWER TAGS

A) What allows you to uncannily know things you wouldn't normally know?

- I hear your beating hearts

B) What subject is the easiest for you to learn about?

- I can smell your sins

C) What quality of your divination makes it especially effective?

- I see through the darkness

WEAKNESS TAGS

A) What can hinder or block your divination?

- Burning Sage

Expression
Hound of Hell

Mystery: Why do I yearn so strongly to wound and maim?

Sinners are to be punished, this is true for many if not all religions. Yet even as the most timid of the three heads of Cerberus, Maple feels the need to deliver suffering to the guilty.

Despite it not being in her nature, Maple has intense and increasingly violent urges to physically assault the guilty around her. The call for violence is almost undeniable when around an escaped soul.

Fade: {_} {_} {_}

POWER TAGS

A) What is the most common way you use your mythos to affect the world?

- Strength which tears flesh from bone

D) What conditions or situation enhance your Mythos' expression?

- In the presence of a sinner

C) What useful quality does your main effect have?

- Nothing stands between us

G) What expression, not necessarily related to the main one, does your mythos have?

- A howl that haunts the heavens

WEAKNESS TAGS

C) What happens when you loose control over your mythos' expression?

- I. NEED. MORE.

D) What are the repercussions of bringing your mythos into the world?

- Senseless Destruction

Personality
Best in Show

Identity: Thank you, but I'm really not looking for suitors right now...

Beauty is a thing many seek: for marriage, to sate carnal desire, a muse for their art. Other people may take a look at Maple and see nothing more than an object of desire.

Many a man and woman have bent over backwards trying to impress Maple enough for a date. Many a man and woman have been rejected.

Crack: {_} {_} {_}

POWER TAGS

A) What lies at the core of your personality?

- Seeking Solitude

D) When you want, you can also come across as...

- The most gorgeous guest on the list

E) What special skill or status did you pursue because of your personality?

- Do you like these clothes? I made them myself!

WEAKNESS TAGS

X) What happens when you let yourself go too far?

- No I don't want your number!

Mission
All Heads, No Tails

Identity: I was the first to awaken, so it is my watch that comes first.

Maple had identified the sleepers who held the other two heads of Cerberus within their heart of hearts. So, she swore to protect the sleeping heads of Cerberus.

Yet all of a sudden they're nowhere to be seen.

Crack: {_} {_} {_}

POWER TAGS

A) What do you need most in order to carry out your mission?

- To leave my comfort zone

H) What do you have that might help with your mission?

- A temper that could scare a devil

G) What is the root of your commitment to the task at hand?

- Alone I am myth, together we are legend.

WEAKNESS TAGS

X) Why have you not succeeded so far?

- I'm too shy!

Crew

Crew

A list of your crew members, and the Hurt and Help points you have for each.

Name Help Hurt
Rift - -
Rift - -
Rift - -
Rift - -

Story Tags & Nemeses

Story Tags

A space for other permanent tags you might acquire during the game.

Nemeses

A list of the Nemeses you gained by replacing themes.

Character Progression

Development

A track of your overall character growth. When it's full, you reset it and choose a Moment of Evolution.

{_} {_} {_} {_} {_}

Moments of Evolution to choose from:

{_} Choose another broad power tag
{_} Gain an extra theme: Ally
{_} Gain an extra theme: Base of Operations
{_} Gain an extra theme: Ride
{_} Get closure from your Nemeses
{_} Go through a transformation
{_} Leave the City
{_} Make one Core Move permanently Dynamite!
{_} See through the Mist

Edited by Sapphic Reiver (see edit history)

1. Name and describe a place of interest in the City.
  2. Give me the name and description of a local Contact. It could be someone in your circle, or someone from your old life who you can still go to for help.
  3. Where do you go to unwind?
  4. What does this sprawling metropolis have in abundance?
  5. What does it lack, or need more of?
  6. What do you fear most about the world today?
  7. What is a recent rumour that you've heard?

• 4 weeks later...

@Sapphic Reiver I really like this concept (and Maple)! :) It's been a while so I wanted to check in and see if you're still interested in playing in the campaign. If so, I have a few questions and suggestions:

1. For Custodian of the Damned, it's not clear to me why Burning Sage would block or hinder Maple's abilities. Is it something related to the lore of Cerberus? Does it interfere with Maple's ability to smell others' sins? If there's no mythical or personal reason for this particular weakness, one suggestion would be to change it to something that complements her power tags. For instance, based on "I hear your beating hearts" and "I smell your sins", I suspect Maple might have difficulty sniffing out the sins of those who lack (or are able to control) physiological responses, such as someone whose heartrate remains steady when they lie, or who doesn't have a heartbeat to begin with, or who can control their bodily responses. Let me know what you think of this.

2. Similarly, for (B) and (C), I want to clarify: is it that Maple actually physically smells guilt? Is it that her divine senses are so strong that she doesn't need to see it to know? (But she's not actually able to see in the dark?)

3. Hound of Hell and Best in Show look great. No questions here.

4. The All Heads, No Tails Mission card seems intriguing! I especially like the tension between the power tag to leave her comfort zone and the weakness.

Anyway, if you're still interested in playing, let me know. For the Q&A, that's something we can work out with the other players.

On 2/17/2024 at 9:06 PM, Gunu said:

@Sapphic Reiver I really like this concept (and Maple)! :) It's been a while so I wanted to check in and see if you're still interested in playing in the campaign. If so, I have a few questions and suggestions:

1. For Custodian of the Damned, it's not clear to me why Burning Sage would block or hinder Maple's abilities. Is it something related to the lore of Cerberus? Does it interfere with Maple's ability to smell others' sins? If there's no mythical or personal reason for this particular weakness, one suggestion would be to change it to something that complements her power tags. For instance, based on "I hear your beating hearts" and "I smell your sins", I suspect Maple might have difficulty sniffing out the sins of those who lack (or are able to control) physiological responses, such as someone whose heartrate remains steady when they lie, or who doesn't have a heartbeat to begin with, or who can control their bodily responses. Let me know what you think of this.

2. Similarly, for (B) and (C), I want to clarify: is it that Maple actually physically smells guilt? Is it that her divine senses are so strong that she doesn't need to see it to know? (But she's not actually able to see in the dark?)

3. Hound of Hell and Best in Show look great. No questions here.

4. The All Heads, No Tails Mission card seems intriguing! I especially like the tension between the power tag to leave her comfort zone and the weakness.

Anyway, if you're still interested in playing, let me know. For the Q&A, that's something we can work out with the other players.

Unfortunately I was pretty busy during the start of February & then my birthday happened and I might have gotten absolutely smahed, didn't have time to sit down and focus on the app so it's mostly unfinished! I'm definitely still interested though. I've been preoccupied even still today, so apologies for taking an entire day to get back to you.

1. The idea I had was more that she could literally smell the sins of a person, so for example: If someone had committed arson and cost someone their life, she'd be able to smell ashes or gasoline or... Something along those lines. Some sort of associated smell that ties the sin to the person, if that makes sense? I kind of figured burning sage made more sense to cover up the smell as a combination of common supernatural/spiritual/cultural beliefs and the quite poignant smell of sage when it's burned. In hindsight really you could replace 'Burning Sage' with 'Copious amounts of Perfume/Aftershave/Deoderant', really.

2. As mentioned above, I'd say it's more akin to a physical smell than just a supernatural/divine sense. (C) was meant to be a form of lowlight/dark vision to double down on the predatory animal theme.

3. Alright, fair enough! Best in Show was the one I had the most doubts about, honestly.

As for her questions, I already have some things in mind, but I just need to write them out.

Edited by Sapphic Reiver (see edit history)