Three Tasks OOC

Kistler

21 minutes ago, Kistler said:

Its great roleplay though. I want Egan to whisper 'brave girl', but I dont want to bury posts with flavor during an encounter.

Is it? Even when two other characters explicitly stated beforehand that they wanted to watch to see what the two trappers did after setting the traps?

Of course, you brought up the Leroy Jenkins allusion previously.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

I can see that, but the DM seemed to imply that would be fruitless.

The two men are standing in the way of you getting the water you need. You could go around but it would probably make you loose enough time to make it dark as you headed home.

Will you fight, try to negotiate, or find another way to get to where the water is?

I appreciate how this moves the game forward and makes something happen. This way seems fun too, and we're sure to learn something!

Well, alright, then I don't speak a spell.

I would also like to change my spell selection considering this interpretation of the obviousness of a charm spell, because that makes it useless.

16 hours ago, Vedast said:

Is it? Even when two other characters explicitly stated beforehand that they wanted to watch to see what the two trappers did after setting the traps?

Of course, you brought up the Leroy Jenkins allusion previously.

Myriawen is a social creature... she said what she was going to do before she acted and nobody else said anything. Barbarossa decided that Myriawen did in fact step out, I only announced the intend.

Personally happy with how this is going. Sure it's messy, but there's something genuine about that. It's flowing forward. And haven't we all been in games where you spend 2 weeks of posts figuring out how to immaculately pull off an encounter exactly how you want it to go to capture an enemy or something, only for the DM to be like, "yeah, they don't speak common" or "he's just a dumb grunt who doesn't know anything". Much more satisfying to just take a couple posts even if we end up saying, "oops, muffed that up and didnt learn much new. We'll get 'em next time." We can always try nonlethal still.

So we'd all be happy when Myriawen begins a diplomatic encounter and Qingalic just breaks in with an attack because "he's a fighting creature." That would be genuine.

Just now, Kistler said:

She is asking you to do just that in her last post. Let's Goooooo!

You know full well that is not the point. Qingalic probably thinks she has it all under control and will have a snack.

I honestly don't know what you mean. The point is to have fun.

Bard walks in think she'll charm her way through. Classic.

It only works half way.

She calls for help.

Archer pins the first guy.

Rest of party easily sees that and rushes in to save her.

Good stuff.

Crack open a flagon of mead and party.

Seems like a perfect tabletop encounter, and I'm not sure what you're seeing that I'm not.

17 minutes ago, Kistler said:

@Vedast I assumed I could not tell which was charmed and which wasn't, so i made a coin flip to see what happened. I rolled that i hit the one that was not charmed. Really up to @BarbarossaLivesif that is what happens or not, but it seemed fair.

Yes, I understood that and your random 1d2 roll. That language was for the benefit of the GM to explain what Qingalic was attempting to do in the situation.

Though, tbh, I wasn't sure what "which one" actually meant - I took that to allow GM to say "this guy is 1, that guy is 2" and Egan hit ... 1. Did I miss clarification on which target was which?

I suppose the point is that I don't know what actual results Eagan and Gol'garath had, so I had to write Qingalic's Actions with a degree of contingency to them.

PS for @BarbarossaLives

In case you need this, for the Target to escape a grapple (i.e. remove the GrabbedYou're held in place by another creature, giving you the flat-footed and immobilized conditions. If you attempt a manipulate action while grabbed, you must succeed at a DC 5 flat check or it is lost; roll the check after spending the action, but before any effects are applied. condition), they will need to use the Escape Action: https://2e.aonprd.com/Actions.aspx?ID=79 Note that Escape has the Attack trait, so would suffer from MAP.

In that case, Qingalic's Athletics DC = 17 which would be their target to 'escape.'

Yes, contingencies can always be tricky. I tried to be clear about what I was doing. It's an in-line dice roll and I declared what the values meant first (and never edited the post). Trying to be as fair as possible.

image.png.279c55bcbcb7b2377e3438e8ecb2cfb4.png

Looking forward to seeing what happens next, but seems like you and ZG have a good idea to try and capture one of them now.