Kormakr Osmundarson, Dwarven Skald

FrancisJohn

KormakrOsmundarson-Token.png.98ff973e30a5a99d75dc2cf371bfc4ff.pngName: Kormakr Osmundarson, the Voice of Battle

Race: Dwarf
Homeland: Dun Harsk

Level: 4
Class: Skald

Height: 4'2"
Weight: 192 lbs.

Alignment: Lawful Good
Deity: Oldfather

Traits:
Glory of Old (Dwarf)
Reactionary (Combat)

Role: A little bit of everything
Concept: Well, he's a dwarf. A warrior-bard who thinks he's a wizard.

Appearance: Kormakr is perfectly average built, for a dwarf... nothing remarkable about his shape and size. A very large bulbous nose pokes out through dark scraggly black hair. For some unknown reason, his beard doesn't grow very long. This used to be the subject of much ribbing in his youth, but now Kormakr owns it as a badge of honor. He is not often found without a pipe dangling from his mouth. There is also a decent scar on his right cheek from a mining incident from when he was a mere dwarfling.

Personality: Kormakr is proud to be alive and proud to be a dwarf. He is ever jubilant, whether it be in battle, in cards, or in celebration. He is a 'mug is half full' kind of dwarf. He always tries to find the positives in any situation, no matter how dire the straits may seem. Randomly bursting into song is a thing that happens and is frankly to be expected when traveling in the company of Kormakr. Boisterous is a minimum description of his personality. His family and friends often call him 'Mak'.

He is not as devout or physically strong as others in the clan, but Kormakr does have a passion for stories! He loves reading, sharing, listening, and writing good stories. He fancies himself as the hero in his own great adventure. He oftens sings his tales, but his true talent is the crafting and presentation of the plot. He has a strong and proud voice that carries well and can fill most halls. Somewhere along the line he picked up some drum skills, and often fills in for the clan regular during ceremonies.

Background: The Osmundarson clan hails from Dun Harsk, in the Seithr Mountains. And in the Osmundarson clan, family comes first. The first thing outsiders learn about the Osmundarsons is that they are best at making babies, and they make a lot of them. It is quite difficult to keep track of who is brother and sister and who are cousins, but somehow they manage well enough.

On the other hand, the Osmundarsons are not known to be good at mining, much to the chagrin of other families in Dun Harsk, so most dwarves of age elect to choose differing and unique career paths. Often times, children are raised as priests, missionaries, and adventurers. The clan sends out their young to extoll the virtues of the Oldfather and bring fame and fortune back to his clan in the mountains.

In between slacking off between unfruitful mine work, Kormakr dabbled in the arcane arts. He fancies himself a wizard, and carries a spellbook with him in his travels. He fights like any good dwarf should, but prefers to take a more thoughtful and tactiful approach to winning a battle instead of relying on brute strength and power.

Whispers of a great adventuring hall in a faraway land reached Kormakr's ears, so he and some family set out to Venza to find out what the legendary Dunn Wright Inn is all about.

Hooks: Anything related to Dun Harsk or dwarves, really.

First Seen: Dunn Wright Inn

Adventure Log:
That Will Cost You
The Wolves of Whiteoak
In for a Pound

Character Sheets:
Level 4

Edited by FrancisJohn (see edit history)

Level Up Tracker

Level 2

Ability Scores:

STR 14 (Points  5)
DEX 14 (Points  5)
CON 14 (Points  2 + Race 2)
INT 10 (Points  0)
WIS 10 (Points -2 + Race 2)
CHA 14 (Points 10 - Race 2)

Character Traits:
Glory of Old (Dwarf)
Reactionary (Combat)

Racial Traits:
Darkvision
Hardy
Iron Within (replaces Defensive Training and Hatred)
Lorekeeper (replaces Greed)
Rockstepper (replaces Stone Cunning)
Stability
Weapon Familiarity

Languages:
Common (Race)
Dwarven (Race)
Seithr (Regional)
Lesser Runic (INT)

Alignment: Lawful Good

Class Taken: Skald (favored class)
FC Point: Skill Points x2

HP: 18 (Base 2 Class 6x2 CON 2x2)
BAB: +1

Fort: +3
Reflex: +0
Will: +3

Class Features:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Bardic Knowledge (Ex)
Cantrips
Extra Performance (replaces Scribe Scroll)
Inspired Rage (Su)
Raging Song (Su)
Spells
Versatile Performance (Su), Oratory
Well-versed (Su)

Spells:
Detect Magic (Cantrip)
Ghost Sound (Cantrip)
Prestidigitation (Cantrip)
Read Magic (Cantrip)
Mage Hand (Cantrip)
Alarm (Level 1)
Cure Light Wounds (Level 1)
Horn of Pursuit I (Level 2)

Feats:
Extra Performance (Race)
Steel Soul (Level 1)

Skills: 14 (Class 4x2 Background 2x2 FC 2)
Knowledge, Arcana x2
Knowledge, Dungeoneering
Knowledge, Local
Knowledge, Nature
Knowledge, Planes
Knowledge, Religion
Perception
Perform, Oratory (background) x2
Perform, Percussion (background) x2
Spellcraft x2

Level 3

Ability Score:

FC Point: Skill Point

HP: 26 (Previous 18 Class 6 CON 2)
BAB: +1 to +2

Fort: +3
Reflex: +0 to +1
Will: +3

Class Features:
Rage Power, Superstition (Ex)
Song of Marching (Su)

Spells:
Spark (Level 0)
Moment of Greatness (Level 1)

Feats:
Weapon Focus, Dwarven Giant-Sticker

Skills: 21 (Previous 14 Class 4 Background 2 FC 1)
Heal
Knowledge, Arcana
Perception
Performance, Oratory (background)
Performance, Percussion (background)
Spellcraft
Survival

Level 4

Ability Score: +1 CHA

FC Point: Skill Point

HP: 34 (Previous 26 Class 6 CON 2)
BAB: +2 to +3

Fort: +3 to +4
Reflex: +1
Will: +3 to +4

Class Features:
Inspired Rage +2
Uncanny Dodge

Spells:
Cure Moderate Wounds (Level 2)
Gallant Inspiration (Level 2)

Feats:

Skills: 28 (Previous 21 Class 4 Background 2 FC 1)
Acrobatics
Knowledge, Arcana
Knowledge, Dungeoneering
Knowledge, Local
Performance, Oratory (background)
Performance, Percussion (background)
Spellcraft

Knowledge

Infernix

"As for my secret, I believe there are beings of elemental ancestry in the bazaar that hold the key to this puzzle. I ran into one such being in the bazaar, an Ifrit named Infernix. Infernix offered to give me a clue to the puzzle if I could manipulate his flame, but I only ended up burning myself. I tried to get him to tell me the clue anyway, but he refused each time."

"This clue may be something worth pursuing. I would suggest seeking Infernix before taking on the Djinn's challenge."

Mar'Qedir

"In Mar'Qedir, we have a fascinating bazaar in a district we call Mar'Qolig. Well, a few weeks ago, a Djinn and his market stall suddenly appeared one day, offering a talisman to anyone that can complete his puzzle. Although many have tried, none have yet succeeded."

"I don't know about how it differs from Venza, but Mar'Qedir is different from other cities in Rhat'matanis for a few reasons. First, it is an adventurer's city. Mar'Qedir is a wealthy city, and there are may opportunities and activities that attract adventurers and refugees."

"Secondly, there is little need for a standing army here. The relatively large population of adventurers helps keep the nearby monster population at bay. But don't get carried away by the lack of guards. Many adventurers enjoy a lot of the frivolities and pleasures of Mar'Qedir, and they tend to make sure things in the city don't get out of hand that would draw the ire of the officials. Some adventurers go as far as policing the others in the stead of an actual guardsman. With little need to oversee or protect the city, bureaucratic officials grant plenty of autonomy to this city and its citizens, and many citizens and adventurers want to keep it that way."

The adventurer's guild and various weapon, armor, and magic shops can be found in a separate district near the bazaar. Some minor bureaucratic buildings and other affluent families can be found in Lady Amina's district, while the most affluent families and the major bureaucratic buildings are in the aristocrat's district near the center of the city. Temples to Anor-Akim are littered throughout the city. Minor temples to foreign deities can be found in the adventurer's district.

Mar'Qolig

In Mar'Qedir, we have a fascinating bazaar in a district we call Mar'Qolig.

Port Hadr

Built along the rocky coast, the small port of Port Hadr welcomes the ship into its docks. It is a steep climb from the docks to the city. Most of the buildings seem to be built with some sort of sandstone. There are many larger buildings, although the smaller ones are separated by narrow streets. Travelling through the streets, the adventurers come across multiple shops looking to sell what appear to be large gray lobsters as cuisine.

Silver Road

The Silver Road connects Venza to Tritower, and even extends further past Tritower. Kormakr knowns little of this road in particular except that it probably sees a moderate amount of traffic, particularly due to those traveling between various locales and those associated with the lumber industries.

Whiteoak

Kormakr knows Whiteoak is a small village situated near the Whitehare Forest and Whiteoak River that produces lumber and fur for the nearby city of Tritower. The people of Whiteoak are generally friendly towards visitors, but with it being a small village, are known for being very gossipy. The major deities of worship are Amenthia, Ruvalra, and Thalina. As such, the townsfolk generally look down upon senseless killing and hunting that which is not needed to be hunted. They also have a special fondness for children and healers.

Purchases

Level 4

Starting Gold: 6000

Silversheen Dwarven Giant-Sticker +1 2775
Cold Iron Dwarven Longhammer 440
Dagger 2
Masterwork Composite-2 Longbow 600
Arrows x20 1

Mountain Pattern Armor 1500

Cold Weather Outfit 0
Masterwork Backpack 50
Spell Component Pouch 5
Bandolier 0.5
Traveling Spellbook 10
Flint and Steel 1
Canteen 2
Bedroll 0.1
Wandermeal x8 0.08
Clay Mug 0.02
Mess Kit 0.2
Gear Maintenance Kit 5
Signal Horn 1
Whetstone 0.02
Tanglefoot Bag 50
Potion of CLW x8 400
Masterwork Field Drum 100
Inkpen 0.1
Ink 8
Scrollcase 1
Parchment x20 4
Hot Weather Outfit 8

Total Cost: 5967.02
Remaining: 32.98

• 3 months later...

Spells

Moment of Greatness

"I will sing to The Ancient, The Elder,
for he is highly exalted.
He is a warrior;
Oldfather is his name."

Oldfather is my strength and my defense;
he has become my salvation.
He is my Father, and I will praise him,
my father’s Father, and I will exalt him.

Your right hand, Oldfather,
was majestic in power.
Your right hand, Oldfather,
shattered the enemy."