General Bickering

Kistler

Got it. Egan is old, slow and being male unable to do 2 things at the same time. Makes sense :P

On the rules lawyering in general - I agree its not worth players nit-picking. THe GM will make a call and we will live with it after respectful questions. Definitely important to understand how a given GM will rule things so:

1. We don't assume to much and create 'rework'

2. Adjust our gameplay to suit

To avoid bickering... suggest just asking the GM over debating it amongst ourselves :) Or if that's fun for some, and it clearly is, we have this thread :)

10 minutes ago, allefgib said:

is old, slow and being male unable to do 2 things at the same time. Makes sense :P

Wait! I resemble that remark.

But if just setting a marching order/activity is this acrimonious, I shudder to imagine what happens when SHTF in combat. Well, I guess I can imagine ... 🙁

"We have not yet begun to fight!"

-John Paul Jones

Someone at work was telling me about this study on written versus verbal communication that showed written words were interpreted in a *much* more negative light than verbal. Basically it's always read in the worst possible voice. Not the "hanging out with friends (big assumption if i have any) and bantering" voice.

I guess the point is to always try and be exceedingly polite in written communications, which clearly i need to work on.

Edited by Kistler (see edit history)

Hopefully not bickering, but I dropped some coin to purchase the Crown & Skull RPG. My reason for posting is that I just was reading through the table of random character (creation) flaws and read "Ancient: you are old ..." Essentially places an upper limit on certain physical skills (its a 'roll under' system). I couldn't help but think of Egan.

But, speaking of age and time passing, however ... and bickering ... I would prefer to see a somewhat faster pace of play @BarbarossaLives.

I will take some responsibility for the pace of play. I am getting buried trying to get my business of the ground. However, I am making an effort to let all the group respond and right now not everyone has since my last post. I will but responding to the thread on my calendar for 2 days tp help my end. I'm not sure how to handle if others don't post. Just go on anyway?

@BarbarossaLives Good luck with your business project.

I'm sure there are hundreds of perspectives on game posting regularity and pace (or threads elsewhere on the Weave about such), but I'd only note:

• some folks tend not to post the "My character is listening/observing/just going along" contact post. If there's not a die roll involved or some Action involved, they might not post anything. This lack of a reply, of course, raises the problem of interpreting the null result. Are they about to post? are they away? maybe we should wait? ... and traffic comes to a halt.
  • I think that folks tend to respond if the Game moves along. If the Game isn't moving, ennui takes over. There might be a bit of chicken-or-the-egg here, but I submit that the GM has to establish (or at least maintain) the pace ... and let others come along as best they can. Obviously, there are times when individuals have to be away (vacations or illness or whatever). And whilst there might be Games where the group can push itself forward, I submit that for the most part, the Master needs to be put back in Game Master and the GM really sets the pace and tone. I just don't think a passive or a light hand works for most cases.

Obviously, there are "but I was in a Game that worked just fine and we didn't ..." exceptions.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

The best argument i saw was that in-person we all know we have 3 hours to get this done. So there's motivation to form consensus (or that one vocal guy who just makes everyone do what he wants) and move, move, move. In PbP that's entirely taken away. So linear concepts work well, but open worlds, sansboxes, multi-step non linear investigations bog down real hard without the DM just making assumptions and pushing things forward.

I tend to like the small banter/character building posts, even though they don't move things forward. Usually they don't hurt pace either, but i have seen the occasional "oh, you want to RP, let me wait for reaponses" from DMs. I've started a policy with my players where unless they ask to pause to RP, I'll keep moving. People can always split their posts to contnue the conversation and the action. That's one use of this:

I think the hardest thing is finding a party posting balance. Get 3 high post-rate people and 1 low. They'll feel left out and ignored. 3 slower and 1 high, they'll feel like the game isnt going anywhere.

It always varies over time though. We have busy weeks, vacations, long night and sick kids. Just have to stick with it and keep posting when we can. And communicate when we can't.