In Character: The Barge

Acromos

bard.png.ca14f5804350d59d461a75a16aea84c2.png Sinwen Ravenhair

Half-Elf Bard, College of Valour Lvl 4 | HP: 15/24 | AC: 13 | Init: +3 | PP: 12 | Speed: 9 metres
Coins 0 GP 0 SP | Rapier A:+5 D:1d8+3 T:finesse

Spells: lvl1: 0/4, lvl2: 0/3

With the immediate threat by the drow caster gone, Sinwen resists temptation of going on an immediate tour of plundering. Instead, she stabilizes as many people as she can, starting with the slaves before moving on to the drow. It's grim squishy business and when she is done, she wipes her hands on the cloak of the last person she saved.

Then she turns to the others: "We have quite a few survivors, it seems. I am pleased that the death toll is not higher.

"We should remove their weapons though, ere they regain consciousness," she adds with a glance at the drow.

Ryn - who takes the role of drow leader with Menthelius gone - cooperates with Sinwen, handing over any weapons, and securing his wounded and unconscious brethren at one end of the barge. He negotiates with Pashgir for one of the drow boats, although he realises the adventurers might have something to say about it.

The freed slaves (mostly humans, but there's an elf, a couple of dwarves, an orc and a few others) are extremely relieved and thankful to be alive. They shower Sinwen with thnks and praises.

Krgh-âahn and Pashgir have a stash on the barge from which they grab potions, and quickly regain functional levels of health. For all their decency, they do not share their stores with all and sundry.

At some point, Krgh-âarhn approaches the PC's:

I've spoken at length with this Ryn character. He says all the drow loot has some magic - but it won't last if you just take it with you, or sell if off to those who don't know how to use or handle it. He's offering to sell it off for you, at premium price but for a percentage. He'd also like one of the boats for the surviving drow. Personally, I'm ok with those terms, I've no use for their boats or their loot.

pete2.jpeg.63deae77e7cdfdeeeaf44d0bb3e5e195.jpegms. 'Blueblood' Pirate, Rogue, Swashbuckler, Duelist, Criminal...
Young adult 5'11 female human variant fighter, CN eldritch knight 4 ..
action surge.. (0)
init +3 ..mage armor.. (AC 16, HP 25... 28) second wind..(0) heal 1d10+4 condition.. normal, mobile ..base move..40'
human traits... Athlete, Stealth+5 ...prev.. Pirate ..skills.. Athletics+4, Perception+3, Acrobatics+5, Intimidation+1.

stats.. STR 15, DEX 16, CON 10, INT 14, WIS 12, CHA 8 ..saves.. STR +4, CON +2 ..spells.. INT ..prof.. +2
heroic... Mobile, Duelist (fs) ..eldritch knight.. Bonded weapons (whip..dagger) ..cantrips.. blade ward, shocking grasp (kiss)
spell... Casting +4, Save DC 12 ..known.. mage armor, shield, protection from good / evil, thunderwave ..slots (3)

*ELF BOOTS*

ms. Bloodblood tried on the elf boots and strutted around deck to check their fit while Pashgir made his deal with the drow. Was he nuts ?

Pashgir returned and indeed had made a terrible deal, it seemed he may have been enchanted in doing everything Ryn wanted... as he had no use for their boats or their loot.

"... Are you nuts ?!?... so you are just giving the drow a boat... I say chain the drow to the oars, including Ryn... and I'll get them to row. As for their loot... Are you nuts ?!?... You are a bit short of rowers and crew Pashgir and you need someone to look after the prisoners... Or are they your pals now ?"

ms. Blueblood thinks drow who can cast darkness at will is a bad idea to revive in great numbers ... especially if they are half as evil as blueblood can imagine.

She feels a tad better when the healing potions are revealed and covets one vial before practising for a duel with her new sword... she was going to be prepared for another battle with the drow, and Ryn would be the first to die by her reckoning when they are double crossed. Or maybe she'll just give him special attention with her whip on the oars until then...

OoC -- Actions

main hand: Drow Paradiel
off hand: -- empty

booty taken: Drow long/short sword, hand crossbow, boltcase, poison vial, healing potion, elf boots, elf cloak... share of gold in pouches.

ooc:

Actions

• immediate - force armor AC 13 + 3 Dex = AC 16
mechanics

Whip +5 (1d4+5)
Drow Idiel, +4 (1d8+4) versatile 2h (1d10+4)
Drow Paradiel +5 (1d6+5)

Ryn ... Blueblood wants to kill him ... but will try again later maybe.

Short rest time Blueblood will bond with drow short sword replacing dagger (which she will keep concealed on her person)
no time to revive the enemy...

• bond new weapon - Drow shortsword (magical)
  • revive 3 hp with 2 HD
  • drink some elvish wine booty if there is any.
  • whip and chain up drow prisoners...

Edited by DarkAngel (see edit history)
Name
Short rest healing 1 HD
1d10 1
Short rest healing another HD
1d10 6

Pashgir looks vaguely surprised by Bluebloods insistence:

Are we nuts? No, we're traders. We're in the business of buying and selling, and making money. Also, we're decent people, we only do the most occasional spot of piracy. We do not make a point of going around and killing people. Mind you, I enjoy a good scrap as much as the next guy, and Krgh-âahn being the prophesied savior ..

Am not! - Krgh-âahn interrupts

.. being the prophesied savior of his race, is some sort of unstoppable juggernaut once he get's rolling. He's ..

Dunno why my mother gave me that name. Krgh-âahn mutters in the background.

Well, you saw him fight, right? Stronger than anyone I ever saw, and he seems to just shrug off blows that would kill lesser men. But back to the point: I've got a shipload of ore and other stuff to sell, and that's my priority. If I thought these elves were worth it, I might hold them for ransom, but the only one of note was Menthelius. I gain nothing from killing them .... so precisely why should I? Besides, we're going down river, the rowing is easy - and elves are piss poor rovers, if you'll pardon me.

With that, he goes about setting his barge aright, so you can all move on.

"Well, glad we survived that fight! Thank you for fighting off the drow and for the healing." To Oro as he leaves, Kelia says

"You can keep the bow, you seem to be doing better with it than I was." Likewise, to Sinwen, she states

"Keep the shortsword if you like."

Kelia helps Sinwen with stabilizing people if she can. She also inquires with Krgh-âarhn

"What magic is Ryn offering, and at what price?"

Krgh-âahn looks a little surprised:

Ah, no - he's not offering magic. See, drow weapons and armor are imbued with ... like, shadowstuff or some such nonsense. The essense of the underdark. And that burns off in daylight. So take those wonderful blades to the surface, and they become much less wonderful.

Ryn-Thïel is offering to get us the best price for the stuff we have. Essentially, being a drow himself, he can sell it back to the drow without getting skinned for it, and get us the best price. That should double the value we can get from them.

He considers a moment, then adds:

Alternatively ... well, you could find a shadowsmith. It's possible to .. oh, I dunno, hide the metal from the sun? Something like that. Now, that'll cost ya, but then you can keep the loot. Oh, and Menthelius' stuff isn't drow. I don't know where he found his things.

As he's speaking, Izzak's spider gently lowers itself on a silk strand to the deck of the ship, and the goblin scout jums off:

But I can! He's basically been luring surface dwellers to their deaths, letting monsters kill them, then looting the corpses. Real peace of work. Frankly, I'm jealous I didn't come up with that scheme. I guess treachery just isn't natural enough to us mere goblins.

He gives one of his smiles. Too many teeth in the mouth, too much crazy in the eyes.

The barge drifts slowly on the currents, the sluggish river floating north - not that you can tell - towards Sinkhole. The remaining crewmembers toss dead bodies into the water, which is growing alarmingly agitated; something down there is certainly hungry, and the word is out: It's feeding time. You can't help but wonder what's down there - and what larger things might eat the things that's eating the bodies.

But .. that's just morbid. You tear your minds from such thoughts.

The drow boats are secured, and one is given over to the surviving drow. They negotiate for, and are given some basic weapons - ironically, belaying pins - and crawl into their boat. Ryn-thïel remains on the barge, part hostage, part negotiator on behalf of his beaten kin.

The drow try to get pick of which boat they claim, but Krgh-âahn is having none of that. Menthelius' boat has their chest, which hasn't been opened yet. Ryn warns that it's trapped. Of course Menthelius has a key, but that doesn't avoid the trap.

Once the ship is back in order, the crew man as many oars as possible, and the journey recommences. Krgh-âahn quickly settles wages for the freed slaves, who sign on as oarsmen to replace the fallen dwarves - after all, they're all penniless (although they all get a share of the loot, which I've already subtracted).

Krgh-âahn informs you all:

It's two days to Sinkhole. Maybe a little longer, with fewer people to man the oars. The river picks up speed considerably, as we get closer, but the Sinkhole docks are a safe distance from the actual maelstrom. There's another river that also drains into the maelstrom, and that's where we're going - so that's as close to your destination as we can take you.

You can buy supplies and things in Sinkhole, it has most things you might need. Be careful not to be mugged, swindled or press ganged. It's an absolute pit of villainy.

"Thanks for the warning and information Krgh-âahn. I am fine with Ryn buying the things that we have, if people have not claimed them already. That seems the simplest way to do it. Assuming that there are no objections." Kelia looks around the group to check for opinions.

"I have a mission to go on to deliver some supplies. If any of you would like to help out, I can offer some payment." the ranger states to those who fought against the drow.

bard.png.ca14f5804350d59d461a75a16aea84c2.png Sinwen Ravenhair

Half-Elf Bard, College of Valour Lvl 4 | HP: 15/24 | AC: 13 | Init: +3 | PP: 12 | Speed: 9 metres
Coins 0 GP 0 SP | Rapier A:+5 D:1d8+3 T:finesse

Spells: lvl1: 0/4, lvl2: 0/3

Sinwen grunts agreement with the ranger. With all said and done, she curls up behind a barrel to sleeps a bit.

pete2.jpeg.63deae77e7cdfdeeeaf44d0bb3e5e195.jpegms. 'Blueblood' Pirate, Rogue, Swashbuckler, Duelist, Criminal...
action surge.. (1)
init +3 ..mage armor.. (AC 16, HP 28... 28) second wind..(1) heal 1d10+4 condition.. normal, mobile ..base move..40'
human traits... Athlete, Stealth+5 ...prev.. Pirate ..skills.. Athletics+4, Perception+3, Acrobatics+5, Intimidation+1.

stats.. STR 15, DEX 16, CON 10, INT 14, WIS 12, CHA 8 ..saves.. STR +4, CON +2 ..spells.. INT ..prof.. +2
heroic... Mobile, Duelist (fs) ..eldritch knight.. Bonded weapons (whip..dagger) ..cantrips.. blade ward, shocking grasp (kiss)
spell... Casting +4, Save DC 12 ..known.. mage armor, shield, protection from good / evil, thunderwave ..slots (3)

*MENTHELIUS' SWORDs*

ms. Bloodblood was scouring the drow boats looking for anything valuable after taking Menthelius' swords.

'Valuable was in the eye of the beholder' her dad used to say. She was after anything useful... like a bullseye lantern that could be used to blind the drow... and keep an eye on them... Ryn's drow wizard book was non negiotable, ms. Blueblood wanted it. She was prepared to interrogate him about his spells if required. A few drow spells may be worth adding to her arcane knowledge, and a bit of whipping would be part of the deal. Ms. Blueblood grinned ... she did like to learn deadly spells.

There was a chest onboard one of the drow boats ... 'that needed guarding'... from the drow with the darkness spells and belaying pins. ms. Blueblood considered this as she examined a few different gold coins she had found amongst the drow booty.

"... Tell me again why they attacked us ?..." ms Blueblood asks Pashgir when she has a chance, no doubt this was something he had discussed with Ryn. It would be something to whip out of him to see if the stories matched later under duress.

"If it's all the same to you Captain Pashgir, I'll be taking a share of the gold now ... 50 coins to be precise." she had a pouch of drow gold already which was held out as evidence to be counted if required, if her word wasn't good enough.

There were a lot of things on her mind now she was 'free'... Sinkhole sounded like a hive of scum and villainy with no doubt some sailors amongst them. Maybe she could be put ashore and find a new crew to whip into shape...

It was two days until then, there were other offers being put forward... and time to consider her options.

"I say chain the drow to the oars to fill the ranks of the brave and loyal slaves they caused to be murdered... I'll make sure they pull their weight and give their all when we fight the currents..." it seemed only fair and logical by her reckoning and her expression to Pashgir showed the truth of it...

"...and for the record, Ryn should be locked up in the Brig ... chained if necessary ... and the Drow chest moved aboard our Ship ... or give me permission to Captain Menthelius' boat with a security crew. "

OoC -- Actions

main hand: Drow Paradiel
off hand: -- empty

booty taken: Drow long/short sword, hand crossbow, boltcase, poison vial, healing potion, elf boots, elf cloak... share of gold in pouches.

update: Menthelius' long/short swords taken (please advise stats) ... 50 gold coins in pouch... 2 vials (healing and poison)

ooc:

Actions

• immediate - force armor AC 13 + 3 Dex = AC 16
mechanics

Whip +5 (1d4+5)
Drow Idiel, +4 (1d8+4) versatile 2h (1d10+4)
Drow Paradiel +5 (1d6+5)

Ryn ... Blueblood wants to kill him ... but will try again later maybe.

Short rest time Blueblood will bond with drow short sword replacing dagger (which she will keep concealed on her person)
no time to revive the enemy...

• bond new weapon - Drow shortsword (magical)
  • revive 3 hp with 2 HD
  • drink some elvish wine booty if there is any.
  • whip and chain up drow prisoners...

Name
Search Drow boats
1d20+3 5

5 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

action surge.. (1)
init +3 ..mage armor.. (AC 16, HP 28... 28) second wind..(1) heal 1d10+4 condition.. normal, mobile ..base move..40'

"... Tell me again why they attacked us ?..."

"If it's all the same to you Captain Pashgir, I'll be taking a share of the gold now ... 50 coins to be precise."

"I say chain the drow to the oars to fill the ranks of the brave and loyal slaves they caused to be murdered... I'll make sure they pull their weight and give their all when we fight the currents..."

"...and for the record, Ryn should be locked up in the Brig ... chained if necessary ... and the Drow chest moved aboard our Ship ... or give me permission to Captain Menthelius' boat with a security crew. "

OoC -- Actions

mechanics

Pashgir looks startled:

How should I know why they attacked us? I haven't asked, they haven't told. But I gather there was some bad blood between Menthelius and Izzak here, no? Maybe that's why? How you guys share your part of the loot is up to you, you needn't ask me.

We're not however chaining any drow to anything. The drow are the best paying customers down here, but while we're certainly entitled to defend ourselves against a raiding party, they take an exceptionally dim view of their people being enslaved. No, we're setting them free. But don't worry, the drow have an exceptionally dim view of failure too.

Ryn isn't going to do anything. And neither are you, by the way. I've given my word, and I stand by it. Ryn helps sell all the drow loot - for the best price - and in return, he get's to go his own way. With his stuff. And it's a valuable service he provides. No one but drow will buy drow loot, but you can't really sell to the drow, because it's theirs. So without him, we could just as well throw all that in the water.

Regardless, I don't go back on my deals. However - hang on a moment.

Pashgir approaches Ryn, and the two speak awhile in Undercommon. Then, the goblin returns.

Here's an offer for you. Ryn estimates that all the drow loot - minus what you've already taken - is worth 4700 gold pieces in Sinkhole. That's a tidy sum. He'll sell you a copy of his spellbook for 750. I don't much trade in grimoires, but .. well, I have an idea of prices, and he's asking what I consider to be full price. You could propably push him a bit, seeing how he needs the gold. But how do you feel about that?

Keep in mind, without we have 4700 gold worth of loot we cannot sell.

Young adult 5'11 female human variant fighter, CN eldritch knight 4

Gear .. Mage armor, leather outfit, drow weapons belt, drow long sword / short sword
dark elf boots, dark elf cloak, pouch, dagger, vials (healing potion, poison)

*SPELLS*

ms. Bloodblood smiled showing her pearly whites for a moment. It seemed a deal was at hand...

"... Yes, that sounds like a suitable sum ... I would however need to inspect the book prior to purchase ... to check the veracity of the item and it's contents." ms Blueblood replies to Pashgir simply before smiling sweetly at Ryn, which if you know ms. Blueblood is not a good thing...

HalfelfWarlockmale.jpg.1e965883bbfb6500ac89373a7ee4dce7.jpg

Panorin Warlock of Lumia

AC: 15 | Hp:10 /25 Speed: 30 ft. Level: 4 

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2872388

Pact with Patron: Archfey Verenestra.
Pact Boon: Pact of the Chain (Find familiar spell is learnt) summon a pseudodragon.
Eldritch Invocation: Agonizing blast Charisma modifier added to the damage Eldritch blast does on a hit.

Armour of shadows: Able to cast mage armour at will; without expending spell slot or material components.

PACT DETAILS: His tongue is an unnatural blue colour; he must announce the name of his Patron Verenestra every time an invocation is used or risk displeasure with her.

"Thank you Krgh-âahn, we appreciate the safe passage now to the Sinkhole; and the reward for helping you rid the Drow invader threat. Which, was a share of the loot, a weapon and needed armour. As long as you take us far enough from the Maelstrom to avoid any danger or threat to our lives," he asked him.

He paused and then also addressed Captain Pashgir!

"If it all the same Captain as Blueblood so aptly implied; I would also like my share of the gold for spending on re-supplies over at Sinkhole please," he added.

(OOC) I've amended my character sheet to include one of each: Short sword, Healing potion, Poison potion, Leather armour and Hand crossbow. Plus his share of the 50 gold pieces later?

Krgh-âahn replies:

We'll take you to the docks. They cleverly built them sufficiently far from the maelstrom that you need to be drunk or stupid to have any actual accidents and be sucked down. Don't worry. And don't thank me. We set you free, anything you did after you did as free men. So the loot is yours by right.

Pashgir, for his part, says:

Hey, keep me out of it. You lot divvy up the spoils as you see fit - I've got a ship to run!

The barge sails on, and soon enough you approach Sinkhole. As you get closer, the river gets wider, and slower - until it speeds up as it nears the sinkhole. Where before it wasn't much wider than the barge, it spreads out to be at least 100 feet wide. In part, this is because it meets another river from the east. As it speeds up and widens, obviously it also get's shallower, and reefs start to appear, forcing Pashgir and Krgh-âahn to fight a lot harder to keep the barge on a safe path.

Up ahead, you see light. A large cave opens up, where the river flows into a lake. By the far wall of the cave, the lake disappears into a massive maelstrom, sucking the entire flow of both rivers down into god's only know what lies beneath.

On the left bank of the lake, stretching up along the river, is a settlement: Sinkhole. It's partially built on stilts, due to the obvious lack of prime real estate available. On the other hand, some homes and buildings cling precariously to the cave wall - and ceiling - while some more robust constructions are dug into the cave walls, and have intricate and ornate entries of metal and stone.

Everywhere, there are quays and docks. You see upwards of 30 watercraft coming and going, being loaded or unloaded, with hundreds of dockworkeres, riverboatmen, shipwrights and carpenters, merchants and guards. You see a good number of them are drow, viewing all others with disdain. The largest percentage of workers are orcs or hobgoblins, with a few ogres tossed in for flavor. There are dwarves and goblins, and in one corner of the harbor a couple of nervous merchants are haggling with a group of merrow. Central on the docks a giant stone torso rises from the water, a humanoid upper body doing heavy lifting, moving crates on or off boats. Beside it is a goblin, apparently directing the thing. Whether it's some sort of golem is unclear - it seems immobile, at any rate.

The cave is quite literally a sinkhole. In some unknowable past, the ground above it must have collapsed, and distant daylight filters down from above. There are also a couple of waterfalls that tumble from the distant and unseen surface, and thunders into the lake, adding yet more water to the maelstrom.

You notice yet another small detail: Along the eastern cave wall there is a rickety walkway - built of rotting timbers held together by rope and hope, mostly hope - that goes around the lake to an exit on the opposite side, leading further north. A small rope ferry will take passengers across to the other side of the river.

spacer.png

Young adult 5'11 female human variant fighter, CN eldritch knight 4

Gear .. Mage armor, leather outfit, drow weapons belt, drow short sword +1, dark elf boots, dark elf cloak, pouch, dagger, vials (healing potion, poison) ...bonded ...Menthelius' longsword, Whip

*SINKHOLE DOCKS*

ms. Bloodblood stood on deck as the barge drifted towards 'Sinkhole'... there were drow, orcs, ogres, hob-goblins and goblins for as far as could be seen. Lots of green skinned goblinkind, including dock workers and one directing a stone construct acting like a heavy cargo transport. Ms. Blueblood was impressed... "not bad"

There was some serious coin coming her way with Ryn's help, or so Pashgir claims. Her eyes narrowed... She wanted Ryn dead, however she would take the blood price in lieu of all the loot cashed up to 4700 gp like the captain said.

She was going to take Ryn's spellbook as collatarol until then ...

"... Captain Pashgir, who is in charge here in Sinkhole ?" ms Blueblood asks. She was going to mask her identity here, no telling if there could be any pirates here that may recognise her... So she wraps her face in a veil and draws her cloak around her disguising her human features.

"I don't know about you lot... I'm going shopping..." Blueblood mentions to her fellow heroes to whom the plunder was to be divided...