Markup instead of WYSIWYG?

eldarin

I think I've brought this up before and already got a negative response... Trying again anyway.

I am posting near 100% from a 4.6'' mobile phone. Some editing might get easier as there's some responsive UI, but it will always require to select and then find the right button...

I would much prefer writing *italic* (or /italic/) and **bold** (or *bold* if single-* is freed up by the italic alternative) for simple formating. Any markdown variant would probably do.

More complex things like ooc or coloring would probably need custom syntax, but there shouldn't be much need of nesting, so something like {spoiler=title}This appears on click{spoiler} or {red}Red text{red} would probably do fine.

This train has left the station though, right? Hope I get used to wysiwyg only...

P.S. I just tried to activate bold and then type, it shows as normal text. Is that intended behavior, i.e. does formatting only work on selected portions of text?

There are no markdown plugins currently supported for this version of CKEditor. I'm not saying this is off the table in the future, but it's going to be a lower priority than sheets integration/new sheets/dice enhancements/etc.

Clicking the bold button prior to typing worked for me on my iPhone XS using Safari. Possibly device/browser issue?