Bite The Curb

PiebaldWookie

vertigoavatar.png.0a5601551c1e9eaf4d3b72903f937143.pngCount Vertigo has been there for a number of such meetings already. He rises an eyebrow when Waller inevitably gives them the usual line of speech about defending their country. As if he cared about America. But the part about effing up, that part stung.

He just gives a silent nod to Waller's question, waiting with a mild curiosity at best to see how she'll answers the questions of the newbies this time.

spacer.pngShe came in with a slight bounce, it was hard to tell from her uniform, but she seemed happy. Her outfit had a mixture of styles, ninja, special ops, cat burglar, colored deep red and black. Good for stealth, good for blood. She had paused when she came in, giving a cocked-head look at Dr. Snow, one of the guards attempted to push her, but stumbled back instead. Almost as if he had attempted to shove a wall.

She looked at him for a second before turning back to the others and moving gracefully to her spot next to the others. It was going to be her first mission! And that made her excited. It had been a long time since she had been outside. Mrs. Waller had made Judith go through so many programs before she was allowed to do this. But now she was given her first chance. The green needle had hurt when they put it in, but after a few seconds, it was fine. She didn't like that it was a bomb, but according to Mrs. Waller she was a bad criminal who had caused a lot of damage. So she understood. She wished she wasn't paying the debts of her previous self. The self of her that she couldn't remember. Couldn't grasp. But if this phantom her had done all those terrible things, then shouldn't she fix them? Clean up your own mess, as it were. When Mrs. Waller showed up, she could help stand up straighter and nearly bounce on the balls of her feet. She was going to call out but remembered that Mrs. Waller said that missions were serious and she should stay quiet unless directly asked a question. As such, she just nods in her understanding.

image.png.39e5e8a4b0f61412d33bfea25602fe67.png

Caitlyn shifts in her seat, discomforted by the presence of Feral at the mission briefing. Not for her presence, but for what she represented. The powerful young woman needed psychiatric therapy far beyond Caitlyn's limited college classes while earning her medical degree. Waller treated the young woman like a weapon, and some day that weapon was going to blow up in all their faces. Pushing Feral into violent situations was like juggling nitroglycerine.

One of the few things Killer Frost agreed upon fully. In her opinion, Caitlyn wanted to smother Feral with a bit too much 'touchy-feely' remedies. Tough love wasn't going to do much either, so on the few occasions Killer Frost interacted with Feral, she tried to act more as a friend or 'big sister' to keep her close. Sometimes a person didn't need a dictatorial 'father figure' like Amanda Waller, and sometimes they didn't need a mothering Doctor. Sometimes they needed a partner in crime.

And that was what Killer Frost excelled in.

Just some thoughts I had over the weekend about Feral.

OOC 

Nothing Special to Report.

Caitlyn Snow aka Killer Frost | Brains 3 (Super Theory) | Muscles 2 (Kickboxing) | Moves 2 (Careful Observation) | Mojo 5 (Ice Powers)

Spend 3LP to form a single-use item out of ice (lasts one scene) | Weakness - heat, loss of control of powers under extreme stress

On 2/5/2024 at 7:21 PM, GleefulNihilism said:
The New Fish

image.png.15cb3372619df4f55e074e6b8763fdf2.pngThis would be the part where the new guy expresses disbelief in the skull bomb, but Johnny actually doesn’t. A hand just rubs the back of his head absently. Not the injection site, he rubs the skin over the explosive device itself.

The insulating induction sleeve was doing its work but he could still feel it singing. He tries not to think about it. He wasn’t entirely convinced it was a bomb, but far enough along to give the benefit of the doubt for sure.

So Johnny raises his hand, but not for the normal question for the new fish.

T’ink ah understan’ th’ basic idea. But Ah had th’ Death Penality twice over. How many years y'all countin' that as? An’ wha’ happens when someone has an appeal?

OOC

"We are still working with the justice system to establish your sentence. If we get an update, we'll let you know. Until then, you're off everyone's books but mine."

Waller's face twists into a cruel little smile.

"And we don't do appeals here, Mr Ohm."

On 2/5/2024 at 10:09 PM, Maester1216 said:
Copperhead

spacer.png

Copperhead can't help but laugh - a sneering, venomous laugh to be sure - at Ohm's question. "Then you get to live just a little while longer yet boy. At least for as long as you're useful to the Warden I imagine. Either that or your killed - honourably or otherwise - in the eh... 'defense' of this country. Who knows? Maybe you live long enough for us to see how you handle this lethal injection everyone has been touting. As to an appeal... if there was a chance of that, don't you think they would've stuck you anywhere but here?"

He turns his attention back to Waller, ruminating on her words. "I have only three questions."

Copperhead's tongue flicks against the inside of his muzzle as he talks. "One - is it fair to assume these explosives function as trackers as well? Elsewise I imagine you've killed your share of fools who wandered off to bleed the lizard."

"Two - are we expected to have carte blanche in how we prosecute these missions? Black Ops demands a certain degree of moral flexibility as you no doubt know, and I do so loathe restraint when I work." His eyes wander to Frost for a moment before he refocuses on Waller.

"Three - The odds of many of us being released in this lifetime are slim to none. Therefore, might we be getting certain... perks to improve the duration of our sentence? Better quarters, better food, sundry items and privileges in recognition of our service to the stars and stripes?"

OOC

"Very observant, Park. Your movements and vitals are tracked through the implant - privacy is not a luxury for you. If we lose the signal, we will detonate the explosive for safety's sake. As for rewards, let's see how well you perform in the field before we start putting in expense claims?"

"For your mission objectives, each mission will have it's own parameters laid out; for some, we require stealth, information gathering, or a very specific skill set. For others, we require villains; for instance..."

Waller clicks her fingers at the assistant; you see the man standing beside her looking uncomfortable at the rude gesture. The assistant loads an acetate into the projector, fires it up and dims the lights.

"This is Lester Abernathy. The name might be familiar to you, Mr Ohm."

Waller throws a sneer at Johnny with that remark.

"The rest of you might have heard of his grandfather, Albrecht Krieger; Captain Nazi."

The acetate is swapped out with one showing old newsreel cottage of a powerfully-built man in a military-style uniform, bearing a massive swastika on the chest.

"Krieger was part of the Third Reich's supersoldier program; their only success. He was killed at the height of the war during a secret operation, but his descendants lived on, moving to the States. They didn't inherit his powers, but did have the unique biological markers that made it possible to activate said abilities.

As of last week, we believe Abernathy has done so, using his grandfathers old notes and possibly a sample of his blood. He is holed up in a farm somewhere outside of San Francisco, recently rechristened "Aryan Acres"."

Waller rolls her eyes.

"We believe he has a small militia with him, around 20 or so men, and Abernathy is a metahuman with currently unknown strength and abilities, though we suspect he'll be like his grandfather - classic flying brick. You will be delivered into the city to meet with a local reporter, under cover of being a villain group with a grudge. Ensure the reporter survives and gets everything on tape."

Waller clicks her fingers once again, signalling the assistant to bring the lights up again.

"Abernathy is a threat to this country's stability, and our democracy. I want him deader than disco, and I want you to make a show of it. You will be given your full equipment, arsenal, costumes, the whole nine yards - show these racists that even the worst people in the world hate them, and we might have a win in our hands."

She stands and crosses her arms over her chest.

"Any questions?"

skin.png

Copperhead

spacer.png

"Any loss of communication and we go boom? Jamming technology is part and parcel in this line of work Waller, I suspect you know this. So either these trackers use frequencies or modulation that can't be easily matched or replicated... or your standard operating procedure is to throw bodies at a problem until it gets solved. That would explain why it's been so quiet in the yard lately."

Copperhead's gaze narrows at Waller and his tongue flares in agitation behind his muzzle. Even with a fake name he hated being referred to as anything but Copperhead; it made him seem... less than what he was. Mortal even. Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash - they were beings far above the petty masses that thronged through the streets of this world. But outside those costumes he had no doubt they were just as human as the rest. And what greater weakness in this world is there than humanity?

Setting his internal musings aside, Copperhead turns his attention back to the mission briefing. Heavily guarded and patrolled compound, unknown security apparatuses... baring the presence of a Metahuman, this seemed like a run-of-the-mill assassination. He didn't trust Waller and her patriotism any further than he could throw her - which he wagered wasn't all that far - but he figured that was simply the nature of this Taskforce. No one was a beacon of virtue here. Besides, whether or not he was dealing with the blow-back from Operation Paperclip or just skinheads who got lucky, this was the first real hunt Copperhead had been on in months. He'd be a fool to pass up this opportunity, however suspicious he was of the job.

"San Francisco eh? I haven't been by the Bay since I ran with the Society a few years back. A wonderful chance to see if my access codes to the Gorman Building still work; that move to the new base was a might rushed." Not to mention a wonderful opportunity to pilfer any assets the Society might have left before Captain Comet barged his way in. Copperhead wondered for a moment what became of those traitorous cutthroats after he left the Society. Especially Funky Flashman - there were a fair few accounts left to settle with that weaselly little conman, and Copperhead relished the day he would finally get his pound of flesh out of him.

"What intelligence do we have on Aryan Acres? Defenses, layout and the like. I'd sooner not walk into a killing field if it can be avoided. As for Abernathy himself, how did the Allies kill the first Captain Nazi? Any particular tactics or assets employed? Or did they simply overwhelm him with firepower?"

Focusing fully on the Warden, Copperhead tries to get a read on her while asking his question. Maybe she's not as solid a Wall as she wants people to think, and he can find a crack in her story. Or better yet, her.

OOC

Sheet

This seems like a good opportunity to try out the Dice for this system. I am going to try a... Mojo roll I suppose? To see if Waller is lying about anything or otherwise withholding information. Somewhat of a given I know, but never hurts to be particular. Brain might be more appropriate, but thankfully in this case they're both at the same level.

So I roll two dice for this. I would make a case that Predatory Plotting applies here (gauging prey's mental or emotional state before making a move), so that nets me 3 additional dice for a total of 5D6. One of those D6's is a Suicide die. Now let's make it an even 6D6 by spending an LP as well.

Not sure if those would be an Opposed roll (I.E if Waller is actively lying) or a Standard roll against TN based on one of her stats (Kinda like in 5E with Passive Insight).

So that's a final result of 25 then. Not bad if it's against a TN, but we'll see how well it stacks up in an opposed check.

Edited by Maester1216 (see edit history)
Name
Studying Waller: Mojo + Predatory Plotting + 1 LP
5d6 5,6,5,2,6
Suicide Die
1d6 1

The New Fish

image.png.15cb3372619df4f55e074e6b8763fdf2.pngIt’s kind of amazing the rollercoaster ride a minute can put you on. Hearing the lack of appeal and how the Wall talked about it was heartbreaking, but then the mission comes up and Johnny actually smiles.

If y’all wan’ Lester ah jus’ got one. Original Recipe or Extra Crispy?” he remarks with a roll of his neck and a smirk. But then he thinks of something else from the brief.

Ah guess ah gots another one. Ah ain’t really got a costume if yer goin’ fer that. There a place fer that?

OOC

The temperature in the room lowers about ten degrees.

"I see, then I suppose you were expecting me." Killer Frost says to Ms Waller.

Ice crackles as her hair turns white and her skin pales to the color of moonlight on snow. Looking down at the simple doctor's lab coat and plain clothing beneath, Frost curls her lip in disgust and shrugs. Ice quickly forms over the clothing, which shatters into thousands of brittle pieces. When the cloud of fog and snow has settled, Frost is wearing a daring sheath of black ice in a bustier and literally skin tight pants.

"God. Please. Someone take that woman out to buy some decent clothes."

She looks around the room.

*chest heaving sigh*

"Amanda. Really? The bargain basement Killer Croc? And Captain Corn Pone?" She snorts.

Glancing around further, she gives Count Vertigo a nod. "At least someone knows how to dress the part. I mean, the whole cape and tights things isn't for me, but on you it looks... Well it has some sense of style."

"And Feral, good to see you kiddo. At least this mission won't be completely filled with losers." Frost smiles at Feral and blows her a kiss.

OOC 

@Xerin  I said above that I believe both Caitlyn Snow and Killer Frost would attempt to befriend Feral. Caitlyn because it is in her nature to be kind and Frost because she (a) thinks it might piss off Waller as well as (b) influenced some by the shared subconscious Frost doesn't like the way Waller treats Feral like a pet. This manifests as Caitlyn trying to use her psychiatric training from medical school to help Feral and Frost acting like a sort of big sister to Feral.

So my question is, are you okay with this?

Caitlyn Snow aka Killer Frost | Brains 3 (Super Theory) | Muscles 2 (Kickboxing) | Moves 2 (Careful Observation) | Mojo 5 (Ice Powers)

Spend 3LP to form a single-use item out of ice (lasts one scene) | Weakness - heat, loss of control of powers under extreme stress

spacer.pngFeral stays quiet for most of the lecture. She didn't need to ask for a costume or gear, she'd already been provided them. But her eyes focus on the man. She was shaky on history, she hadn't had a lot of time to be caught up on everything she forgot. But even SHE knew about Nazis and their new form of the neo-nazis.

Amanda Waller was many things, and thorough was one of them. Judith's education was harsh and quick, but as long as you didn't dig too deep, she could pass as if she were high school educated. And that meant that she knew the broad strokes, but she hadn't seen the undisguised hatred of the people before, especially Mrs. Waller who always seemed to hold everything to the chest when talking to her. If Mrs. Waller was always calm and collected with Judith after she destroyed a science facility and gained superpowers, the layer of hate that this man was getting said he was one of the most disgusting displays of humanity out there.

And then Dr. Snow left and Mrs. Frost arrived and blew her a kiss. Judith perked up a bit and gave Frost a quick wave. Dr. Snow would think it was sweet but inappropriate, so would Frost, but Frost would appreciate it, whereas Dr. Snow appreciated Judith following directions. Then she kind of shakes herself back into focus and turns back to face Mrs. Waller with her full...ish, attention. Her eyes still glancing at Frost like a younger sister watching her older sibling for cues to follow.

@Roughtrade That sounds fun. Don't mind it at all.

vertigoavatar.png.0a5601551c1e9eaf4d3b72903f937143.png"I have no love lost for this kind of people," Count Vertigo commented dryly. "I'm sure we can sort out his case with some... appropriate sense of style," he added, looking in the direction of Killer Frost.

Yet he just couldn't shake the sense that this was too straightforward, coming from Wailer. The arguments she used made sense, though. Maybe it was just a bit of paranoia on his part...

But he had enough experience of the Squad to know two things, one: that the Wall wasn't in the habit of sharing information much outside of what she considered absolute need-to-know basis (especially with a bunch of criminal psychopaths); and two: that wherever they went, things did have a habit of proving to be more complicated than expected.

"Nazi's had style. All that leather and tight pants. Gives me goosebumps." Frost lounges in her chair, crossing her feet and propping them on the chair in front of her.

"These new-age-nazi-wannabes, blech." She makes a face. "No style, just shaved heads and screeching about everything like a two year old on their first tantrum. They make great tools for, well, being tools."

"They are easy to point at something and make them believe it is part of some conspiracy agenda. "Wind 'em up and watch them tear things down. Draw police and public attention away from whatever important business you might have."

Frost sighs again, puffing out a plume of frigid air like a smoker on their first cigarette of the morning.

"Well, that was before. Of course." She smiles wickedly. "I am no longer that sort of girl." *wink*

"So, how is this then for starters? We send in Captain Corn Pone as a potential recruit. Let him be our inside man. I will see if I can dig up someone that has blueprints for the compound. These guys are not all that keen on submitting paperwork to the government, but unless they are construction workers, someone had to put that place together."

"Sounds like Croc is connected in 'Frisco. Maybe he can come up with some intell."

OOC 

Conversation until we move to costume/load out scene.

Yes, Frost is calling Copperhead 'Croc' on purpose.

The New Fish

image.png.15cb3372619df4f55e074e6b8763fdf2.pngTruth be told, he knew being called “Captain Corn Pone” was something he should find insulting he he actually did find it kind of funny so he was letting it slide. But then she had her other suggestion and he had to take a breath.

Wouldn’ work.” he responds simply to frost. He reaches up to unzip his prison orange to push some of it aside.

He’s got some tattoos a lot like Lester’s. Nothing exactly the same, but similar. Some obviously were identical at one point but were altered.

Ain’t a bad thought Ah suppose, but mah ink woul’ give me away as someone who los’ faith ‘n th’ cause. Maight work fer you’n though, Ice Queen.

OOC

On 2/14/2024 at 2:44 AM, Maester1216 said:
Copperhead

spacer.png

"Any loss of communication and we go boom? Jamming technology is part and parcel in this line of work Waller, I suspect you know this. So either these trackers use frequencies or modulation that can't be easily matched or replicated... or your standard operating procedure is to throw bodies at a problem until it gets solved. That would explain why it's been so quiet in the yard lately."

Copperhead's gaze narrows at Waller and his tongue flares in agitation behind his muzzle. Even with a fake name he hated being referred to as anything but Copperhead; it made him seem... less than what he was. Mortal even. Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash - they were beings far above the petty masses that thronged through the streets of this world. But outside those costumes he had no doubt they were just as human as the rest. And what greater weakness in this world is there than humanity?

Setting his internal musings aside, Copperhead turns his attention back to the mission briefing. Heavily guarded and patrolled compound, unknown security apparatuses... baring the presence of a Metahuman, this seemed like a run-of-the-mill assassination. He didn't trust Waller and her patriotism any further than he could throw her - which he wagered wasn't all that far - but he figured that was simply the nature of this Taskforce. No one was a beacon of virtue here. Besides, whether or not he was dealing with the blow-back from Operation Paperclip or just skinheads who got lucky, this was the first real hunt Copperhead had been on in months. He'd be a fool to pass up this opportunity, however suspicious he was of the job.

"San Francisco eh? I haven't been by the Bay since I ran with the Society a few years back. A wonderful chance to see if my access codes to the Gorman Building still work; that move to the new base was a might rushed." Not to mention a wonderful opportunity to pilfer any assets the Society might have left before Captain Comet barged his way in. Copperhead wondered for a moment what became of those traitorous cutthroats after he left the Society. Especially Funky Flashman - there were a fair few accounts left to settle with that weaselly little conman, and Copperhead relished the day he would finally get his pound of flesh out of him.

"What intelligence do we have on Aryan Acres? Defenses, layout and the like. I'd sooner not walk into a killing field if it can be avoided. As for Abernathy himself, how did the Allies kill the first Captain Nazi? Any particular tactics or assets employed? Or did they simply overwhelm him with firepower?"

Focusing fully on the Warden, Copperhead tries to get a read on her while asking his question. Maybe she's not as solid a Wall as she wants people to think, and he can find a crack in her story. Or better yet, her.

OOC

Sheet

This seems like a good opportunity to try out the Dice for this system. I am going to try a... Mojo roll I suppose? To see if Waller is lying about anything or otherwise withholding information. Somewhat of a given I know, but never hurts to be particular. Brain might be more appropriate, but thankfully in this case they're both at the same level.

So I roll two dice for this. I would make a case that Predatory Plotting applies here (gauging prey's mental or emotional state before making a move), so that nets me 3 additional dice for a total of 5D6. One of those D6's is a Suicide die. Now let's make it an even 6D6 by spending an LP as well.

Not sure if those would be an Opposed roll (I.E if Waller is actively lying) or a Standard roll against TN based on one of her stats (Kinda like in 5E with Passive Insight).

So that's a final result of 25 then. Not bad if it's against a TN, but we'll see how well it stacks up in an opposed check.

"Mr Park, the particulars of how we track you and the judgement we exert is none of your concern. You are roughly on the level of an attack dog in this partnership, am I understood? You take orders, you follow them. If you don't..."

Waller sticks a hand into her pocket, and pulls out a small switchboard. With a push of a button, the implant in your brain begins to hum.

"Suffice it to say, we will know if you step out of line."

"Tactical concern will be laid out by Colonel Flagg at the appropriate time." She motions to the man standing behind her.

But you see past the bluster and bravado. National security is the least of Waller's concerns. She has a dog in this fight, a hint of something unsaid that has her worried. She's keeping something from you... Something that is causing her concern. About Abernathy specifically; her jaw clenches slightly when she says his name.

On 2/14/2024 at 3:14 AM, GleefulNihilism said:
The New Fish

image.png.15cb3372619df4f55e074e6b8763fdf2.pngIt’s kind of amazing the rollercoaster ride a minute can put you on. Hearing the lack of appeal and how the Wall talked about it was heartbreaking, but then the mission comes up and Johnny actually smiles.

If y’all wan’ Lester ah jus’ got one. Original Recipe or Extra Crispy?” he remarks with a roll of his neck and a smirk. But then he thinks of something else from the brief.

Ah guess ah gots another one. Ah ain’t really got a costume if yer goin’ fer that. There a place fer that?

OOC

"Your personal effects are still in our possession. A leather jacket and a thirty years out-of-date haircut will need to be enough for this one."

On 2/16/2024 at 5:47 PM, Roughtrade said:

"Nazi's had style. All that leather and tight pants. Gives me goosebumps." Frost lounges in her chair, crossing her feet and propping them on the chair in front of her.

"These new-age-nazi-wannabes, blech." She makes a face. "No style, just shaved heads and screeching about everything like a two year old on their first tantrum. They make great tools for, well, being tools."

"They are easy to point at something and make them believe it is part of some conspiracy agenda. "Wind 'em up and watch them tear things down. Draw police and public attention away from whatever important business you might have."

Frost sighs again, puffing out a plume of frigid air like a smoker on their first cigarette of the morning.

"Well, that was before. Of course." She smiles wickedly. "I am no longer that sort of girl." *wink*

"So, how is this then for starters? We send in Captain Corn Pone as a potential recruit. Let him be our inside man. I will see if I can dig up someone that has blueprints for the compound. These guys are not all that keen on submitting paperwork to the government, but unless they are construction workers, someone had to put that place together."

"Sounds like Croc is connected in 'Frisco. Maybe he can come up with some intell."

OOC 

Conversation until we move to costume/load out scene.

Yes, Frost is calling Copperhead 'Croc' on purpose.

"As for you, Miss... Frost, you will be not only on mission to provide backup, but you will be psychologically evaluating our latest recruit, Feral. She is your charge, and she is worth more than the rest of these sorry sacks of shit combined. I would appreciate it if she made it back safely."

On 2/16/2024 at 10:30 AM, GleefulNihilism said:

Ain’t a bad thought Ah suppose, but mah ink woul’ give me away as someone who los’ faith ‘n th’ cause. Maight work fer you’n though, Ice Queen.

“Do you think we couldn’t re-ink whatever Waller wanted? It would take less time than making grits.”