Out of Character: The Barge

Gris

I hope everyone is ok with the 'intermezzo' - I figured it was the most ... meaningful way to handle it. State whatever you want to spend a round on, then your actions for the next round of combat.

On 4/3/2024 at 2:49 PM, Acromos said:

I hope everyone is ok with the 'intermezzo' - I figured it was the most ... meaningful way to handle it. State whatever you want to spend a round on, then your actions for the next round of combat.

I don't mind but there is probably not much else my character can do anyhow; we have to first eliminate the threat on the boat/barge first before moving on and collecting any gear, as ALL the player characters were in fact slaves from the very beginning.

10 minutes ago, Dorik said:

ALL the player characters were in fact slaves from the very beginning.

The ranger was a passenger from the last campaign, I believe. This isn't a particularly helpful interjection for me to make, but I still am compelled to make it. Personally, I'm going to use the intermission to taunt the guy approaching me with a knife for using darkness based magic.

4 hours ago, Dorik said:

I don't mind but there is probably not much else my character can do anyhow; we have to first eliminate the threat on the boat/barge first before moving on and collecting any gear, as ALL the player characters were in fact slaves from the very beginning.

Well - there's a pile of weapons lying around that are better than belaying pins, for those that use such things. It might be attractive to reposition. If someone had healing magics, those could be cast. And I might allow Perception check to quickly scan the fallen drow for anything of particular interest - that's not something you can really do while in combat, I feel, but you can certainly do it when the dust settles, even if just for a moment.

Or something else that I didn't think of.

And, as WtW mentions, not ALL characters were slaves - Kelia is actually a war refugee.

You want to try and save some of the drow. Alright - I applaud the effort. I'll roll a bunch of death saves off-screen once I get home, let you know how many make it =)

Not sure where to post this:

Sinwen is interested in a chainshirt and a poison dagger for her off-hand, but likely to be the last to get it because she checks everyone if they can be helped first. Is there some "all our stuff is there" chest?

Oh no. All your stuff was sold off. Slaves don't have possessions. They are. But don't worry too much. Each drow boat is worth a bunch of gold, there's plenty of loot, and well .. you'll be fine, don't worry.

Cool... do drow boats have oars and a sail... with drow prisoners as oarsmen ?

And cargo and a treasure chest ?... we can find out later after searching the boat fully.

Like finding Menthelius' teddy bear in his hammock, or his spare set of tiny chainmail undies in his footlocker... and maybe a picture of his mom.

Edited by DarkAngel (see edit history)

There's no wind down here - hence, no sails. It's all oars, baby. Rowed, as it were, by brutes.

The brutes, btw, are Undermen, barbarous humans different enough from surface stock to be their own race. There's propably some orc and dwarf blood in them, somewhere back along the line. But basically, they're primitive cavemen with big biceps and strong constitutions. And cheap mercenaries.

Threre were at least 4 surviving NPC slaves, one of them saved by a spell of Sinwen's. Are they still around? Do you want to do their fates ic or ooc?

2 minutes ago, Gris said:

Threre were at least 4 surviving NPC slaves, one of them saved by a spell of Sinwen's. Are they still around? Do you want to do their fates ic or ooc?

Sinwen is able to save a total of 12 (now former) slaves - the 4 you mention, plus an additional 8. I rolled well. Since I rolled exceptionally well for the drow, she's able to save 5 - the only one to not pull through is the one dropped in the river.

I think the PC's designs for the future of the former slaves and drow survivors should be kept IC.

No on wants to try and save the brutes? It's a harsh life, I guess =)