Out of Character (Application Questions)

MidnightPoet

36 minutes ago, MidnightPoet said:

You can consider it a form of advance payment for the job. Which weapon are you considering?

After considering Fire and Water Primeordial builds, I've settled on Air. With a Fighter/Rogue. 5e hasn't allowed for a str based rogue so far, but the Cumbersome ranged weapon ability allows one to sneak attack using the stat. So a skilled and seasoned heavy gunnery sergeant turned monsterhunter emerged from the crunch.

Still in doubt whether to get the flamer or heavy gun first. As the Blunderbuss and Flame bellows are so far the only weapons with the ability.

Err, belatedly realising I should've checked this earlier. Sorry. @MidnightPoet, is the current IC intended as a pre game venue for applicants to get some RP in while waiting for selection? I kinda figured that was the idea given the premise, but... Well, my bad if I'm wrong. Should've checked first.

1 hour ago, MidnightPoet said:

Yes. the current IC is for a pregame

Is it meant for all the potential PCs to arrive in the shop at the same time? Or separately?

Also do we have to go in the morning? Can we go late afternoon or evening just before the store closes?

What’s the weather? Is it raining or overcast?

Do umbrellas exist?

cheers

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

I would prefer it to be at the morning, but you can choose when you visit. The main point is that you buy a mask, select a code name, and have fun before the game begins.

And sorry, forgot to include weather: it is overcast.

Umbrellas do exist. You can probably imagine the technology as being similar to 18th and 19th century, but with significant decline and an absolute lack of global trade because of all the monsters. Also, because it is a gothic horror setting, there are a great many ruins and castles in the 17th century style.

That's a tough ruling because it is a cool idea, but also requires careful consideration of the Shillelagh spellcasting requirements and the improvised weapon clauses...

I am going to say no. You cannot treat a torch as a club, but you can light a club on fire.

Shillelagh requires a club or quarterstaff as a spell component. A club costs 1sp, and a torch costs 1cp, which means they are not the same.

You can use a torch as an improvised weapon, inflicting 1d4 bludgeoning damage + 1 fire damage. It has a 50% chance of shattering with every attack.

You also have the option of wrapping the club in oil-soaked cloth, lighting it on fire as if it were a torch, and casting shillelagh on it. The fire will damage and possibly destroy the club, but it is a proper club (that has been treated with oil and dried so that it is serviceable against steel) worth 1sp and qualifies as a spell component.

Edited by MidnightPoet (see edit history)

On 2/11/2024 at 4:21 AM, Inquisitor D said:

To be clear, I was joking with 'Business rivals'. ^^ It's just interesting to me that you don't tend to see different religious organizations in the same area sorta coexisting a ton of the time in Fantasy, unless you've got a major polytheistic 'every god has it's own temple' thing going. The Arcanist Inquisition honours the Seraphs, just as the Watchers do, only with their own take on what that means and their own internal hierarchy. And we're both in the territory of the Hearthkeeper Church so... whooo! Complexity!

And that question would hit Irata hilariously hard. Like, she'll insist that she is at first then spend days thinking about how Lash got that idea, try to work it out from subtle hints, then fall into a depressive sulk over it. ^^

Oh no I know I was implying that even as a joke it'd go over Lash's head a bit. She's very. Literal? In a sense? But yeah the uhhhhh various theological complexities at play are going to make things spicy to say the least. Especially since Lash is already a bit (/squints suspiciously) at the Hearthkeepers.

Lash would probably feel bad about it, honestly. Generally speaking she doesn't want to try and make people feel bad, but the way she phrases things makes that. Difficult sometimes.

5 hours ago, astronavigatrix said:

Oh no I know I was implying that even as a joke it'd go over Lash's head a bit. She's very. Literal? In a sense? But yeah the uhhhhh various theological complexities at play are going to make things spicy to say the least. Especially since Lash is already a bit (/squints suspiciously) at the Hearthkeepers.

Lash would probably feel bad about it, honestly. Generally speaking she doesn't want to try and make people feel bad, but the way she phrases things makes that. Difficult sometimes.

*nods* I think ultimately, they could become pretty good friends. Lash's literal, direct side is something Irata would probably end up admiring. Honest faith and certainty is something she can really respect. (Even if it's a virtue she doesn't really share)

So I have three potential character concepts. I suspect it might be good to have backups in case of Transformation Flaw consequences, but any opinions from the DM @MidnightPoet or potential party members on which would I should develop?

Laneshi Requiem Bard, priest profession, mystic class, winter fae transformation. Is an anomaly for her kind in that she’s a living second-born twin. The first-born was sacrificed instead when he was discovered to have an imminently-fatal birth defect, with the presiding priest content that the sacrifice’s purpose (to create a creature that knew death) would still be fulfilled. Not all within her caste agreed and the more conservative members still arguing for her death made life uncomfortable enough that she sought her fortunes elsewhere.

Downcast Drunken Master Monk, pit fighter profession, summer fae transformation. Hooked up with a summer fae when he gave in to the despair and wandered into the woods to die, finding purpose in swearing his life to them instead. Won’t realize until later that that might be a bad thing. Then sought to lose himself in the hedonistic pleasures of the City of Joy after Falling, cynical about the Seraphs in a way that a company veteran who has seen the intern-turned-CEO grow up would be, but still grudgingly supportive of them. Possible variant would be Way of the Leaden Crown and Preacher profession, trying to persuade humanity toward something more practical.

Dragonborn paladin, Oath of the Ancients, Vagabond or Free Sword former Inquisitor (Lapsed Inquisitor if allowed a non-advanced background). Giant or Primordial Transformation. As the Dragonborn switched to the human gods after presuming their own dead, she has switched to worship of those entities still provably around- the primordials.

Edited by RillaTaj (see edit history)

4 hours ago, RillaTaj said:

So I have three potential character concepts. I suspect it might be good to have backups in case of Transformation Flaw consequences, but any opinions from the DM @MidnightPoet or potential party members on which would I should develop?

Laneshi Requiem Bard, priest profession, mystic class, winter fae transformation. Is an anomaly for her kind in that she’s a living second-born twin. The first-born was sacrificed instead when he was discovered to have an imminently-fatal birth defect, with the presiding priest content that the sacrifice’s purpose (to create a creature that knew death) would still be fulfilled. Not all within her caste agreed and the more conservative members still arguing for her death made life uncomfortable enough that she sought her fortunes elsewhere.

Downcast Drunken Master Monk, pit fighter profession, summer fae transformation. Hooked up with a summer fae when he gave in to the despair and wandered into the woods to die, finding purpose in swearing his life to them instead. Won’t realize until later that that might be a bad thing. Then sought to lose himself in the hedonistic pleasures of the City of Joy after Falling, cynical about the Seraphs in a way that a company veteran who has seen the intern-turned-CEO grow up would be, but still grudgingly supportive of them. Possible variant would be Way of the Leaden Crown and Preacher profession, trying to persuade humanity toward something more practical.

Dragonborn paladin, Oath of the Ancients, Vagabond or Free Sword former Inquisitor (Lapsed Inquisitor if allowed a non-advanced background). Giant or Primordial Transformation. As the Dragonborn switched to the human gods after presuming their own dead, she has switched to worship of those entities still provably around- the primordials.

I think the Downcast Monk would have some fascinating interplay with my Seraph-to-be, given that they're on very much opposing sides when it comes to their perception. Not to mention someone very duty-bound clashing with someone more hedonistic is always fun, as long as it's handled right. I also don't think we have much in the way of pure physical firepower being applied yet, which might be trouble in a situation where magic isn't quite doing what it normally would.