Style?

namo

I tend to approach things top-down, so that's what I'm going to do here. If you're a bottom-up kind of person, do say so.

First off, do you have an idea what style of campaign you want to run?
If we start from a blank slate, it could be Sword & Sorcery, Noir, Horror, Intrigue, ...

Then: will it focus on combat? Exploration? Social interactions? Puzzles? Probably a bit of all of that, but where do you see yourself putting the accent(s)?

The style I feel naturally inclined toward is Sword & Sorcery, except that I wouldn't be holding to the low magic characteristic. I expect magic to be a bit more accessible than that.

I'm really not much of a Noir or Intrigue guy, and certainly not Horror. This will also mean that social interactions are never going to be the biggest focus.

9 hours ago, Keante said:

The style I feel naturally inclined toward is Sword & Sorcery, except that I wouldn't be holding to the low magic characteristic. I expect magic to be a bit more accessible than that.

I'm really not much of a Noir or Intrigue guy, and certainly not Horror. This will also mean that social interactions are never going to be the biggest focus.

OK, that sounds like "standard Pathfinder", then. 🙂

Do you intend to build the campaign yourself from scratch?
I'm asking because you could always adapt a module too; transposing it in your world would be a little work (adapting organizations, deities, ...), but much less than doing everything yourself.

If building it yourself, do you have a sketch of a plot?

Do you like to lean a lot on NPCs / story elements provided by players, or do you generally bring most of the ideas?

Adapting modules is a good idea, and that's probably what I'll do. I see no need to make up everything myself. I'm not an endless fountain of creativity, I need lots of inputs to provoke my own thoughts.

I will always be delighted to hear an idea a player has and work it into what we're doing. And they can be gigantic ideas, too. I really want to impress upon everyone that while I will be the one ruling over decisions as the GM, I have not fleshed out a whole detailed world all my own such that other people's ideas would be intrusions upon my precious creation.

Edited by Keante (see edit history)

ร—
ร—