players lounge

Well, if we've all made the crew congratulations. Hopefully we'll end up rich rather than dead!

From a tactical point of view Phlebas will try to establish reasonably quickly who would benefit most from carrying his amulet in combat (though whether your character is happy carrying the totally not cursed amulet is a different matter). Essentially Phlebas can use his reaction unlimited times to trigger damage + 10' push when the amulet holder is hit. Phlebas doesn't have much use for his reaction, and will try to avoid getting in melee too much, so by default it would probably benefit most someone who is regularly hit to trigger the damage

Equally it's not as if Phlebas can't make use of it. In general his combat skillset is based around slowing and pushing enemies around, ideally into zones of nastiness.

I think only four of us have made it here at the moment, but the others should come soon I guess. Congratulations to us all!
I'm looking forward to play in this game with you.

What amulet is that @PureChance? I don't see any amulet listed with your magical items.

Njardun can hold himself in melee but I think he will be most effective with his offensive weather spells from a distance. With War Caster he can cast while in melee though.

Pact of the Talisman Warlock class feature (instead of Blade, Tome, Chain) - came out in Tasha's - baseline seems not that interesting but very straightforward (1d4 to skill checks prof bonus times per day, when you fail), but there's several invocations that improve it quite a bit. Unique in that you can pass it round the party.

Pact of the Talisman 

Your patron gives you an amulet, a talisman that can aid the wearer when the need is great. When the wearer fails an ability check, they can add a d4 to the roll, potentially turning the roll into a success. This benefit can be used a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and all expended uses are restored when you finish a long rest.

If you lose the talisman, you can perform a 1-hour ceremony to receive a replacement from your patron. This ceremony can be performed during a short or long rest, and it destroys the previous amulet. The talisman turns to ash when you die.

I was thinking a fighter or rogue most beneficial? Unless they've something like sentinel feat or are a grappler, or specifically want enemies next to them. So we have any polearm wielders maybe? Otherwise he'll just keep it to keep enemies away from him 

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

That's cool. Then I guess it would be best for a character who rolls a lot, as opposed to casting spells with spell saves. Like our rogues or the paladin perhaps.

Njardun has his own amulet. I'm not sure about the rules for body slots and magic items in 5e. For example, can I wear both my necklace and amulet at the same time?

The talisman is not necessarily an amulet, in fact it's currently described as a sash buckle.

The reason for handing it out is not the skill checks, but rather the invocation I have called rebuke of the talisman

When the wearer of your talisman is hit by an attacker you can see within 30 feet of you, you can use your reaction to deal psychic damage to the attacker equal to your proficiency bonus and push it up to 10 feet away from the talisman's wearer.

Though it seems the push is optional so really it should just be on a character that gets hit a lot.

But yes, Njardun would be no better than Phlebas

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, Bearlord said:

That's cool. Then I guess it would be best for a character who rolls a lot, as opposed to casting spells with spell saves. Like our rogues or the paladin perhaps.

Njardun has his own amulet. I'm not sure about the rules for body slots and magic items in 5e. For example, can I wear both my necklace and amulet at the same time?

if the Amulet is worn around the neck, then no... if it is wapped around your wrist or forehead then yes... or maybe attached to your belt ?

Edited by DarkAngel (see edit history)

2 hours ago, PureChance said:

The talisman is not necessarily an amulet, in fact it's currently described as a sash buckle.

The reason for handing it out is not the skill checks, but rather the invocation I have called rebuke of the talisman

When the wearer of your talisman is hit by an attacker you can see within 30 feet of you, you can use your reaction to deal psychic damage to the attacker equal to your proficiency bonus and push it up to 10 feet away from the talisman's wearer.

Then it should definitely go to someone who always goes into melee. Sounds very cool! I have never played a Warlock. Made one for a game that never took off once.

2 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

if the Amulet is worn around the neck, then no... if it is wapped around your wrist or forehead then yes... or maybe attached to your belt ?

That's what I was thinking, that it could be held or attached at different locations.

I'm thinking it is attached to my armor as a brooch on my chest if that is ok with you?

Another question for you @DarkAngel. If we didn't pick up our weapons before leaving the Mermaid's Friends, are they lost to us then?

Edited by Bearlord (see edit history)

Well all my weapons. The warhammer and crossbow with bolts can be replaced easily, but the +2 Longsword is going to sting a little :)

Not sure about my shield. I guess that was left there as well which should have reduced my AC by 2 in the combat.