players lounge

I think (fickle dice aside), Red Knell is likely to actually be quicker than Finn? Depending on what the sea elf classes as "magical means". They're both rogues - so triple movement each turn is a wash. Red Knell has the edge on Athletics proficiency, and her warlock patron grants her a slightly faster swimming speed than 30ft.

@JagrHunter Hey Jagr, would you mind retconning your most recent IC post in which Finn reveals to the entire group that Quessa is a warlock. The post seems like metagaming. As far as I can tell, Fin has no clear IC reason to suspect Quessa is a warlock: he's not proficiency with Arcana, has had little to no interaction with Quessa, he's not seen her fighting....

Also, it kinda robs me of the opportunity to make the big reveal in game. Imagine if your half-elf were actually a changeling (disguised as a half-sea-elf), and you were looking forward to that moment in the game where you get to reveal Finn's true nature to us all, but then I go and have Quessa spoil your fun by declaring to the group Finn's changeling nature the very first time we are all gathered together--within minutes of the opening of chapter one.

I think the most sentient water species would have a basic understanding of the trappings of the Fantomless although not specifics as to the Patron. There are few reasons to explain how humans and elves and other species suddenly go about are traipsing about the depth's willy nilly.

Edited by JagrHunter (see edit history)

Hmmm... I think that's a bit of a stretch to therefore assume anyone who takes him up on that offer is a warlock.

They've not even been in the water yet, and there's many more ways to gain a swim speed without that. Nor has she performed any magic or done anything to indicate magical powers (save be healed). Tasha's variant ranger for example gets it at level 5 or 6 so she could be that. Or she could be using a magic item and hiding it. I mean, Finn is technically wearing a magic item that grants him a swim speed too. Checking, there's two barbarian subclasses that grant swim speed at level 6 as well, both of which are arguably "natural" too, or natural enough that their holders would potentially argue they are not magical means and therefore indulge in such a bet.

Sure, after the race there might be a reason to question why he lost but at present she's cocksure and there isn't really any reason for him to say no unless he wasn't actually keen wagering on the first place. In which case I think most parties present are entirely right to give him shit for offering a bet and immediately chickening out of it.

He's got about as much reason to accuse her of being a warlock as anyone else in the party.

Actually thinking about it, I would say there's loads of more common or easier ways for the majority of the populace to gain a swim speed than for the average aquatic dweller to know about various entities that may grant it, beyond the average land dweller being aware of the existence of fiends and the fact they make pacts - without special research I'm not sure why they'd know the details of those pacts. Most people swimming around would be using magic items or the water breathing spell.

I would not imagine that Fathomless warlocks are common compared to the whole set of people who are not Fathomless warlocks. Most villagers will not assume anyone using magic is a fiend pact warlock to extend the previous analogy.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

I didn't say Normal villigers. I said Sea Elves. Most Villigers probably don't believe in Krakens either, but pretty sure common Sea Elfs do. I said that the aquatic elves would know about the fathomless. With no visible items or spells I don't think it's a stretch for a water-based people to assume that most "humans" or other humanoids that suddenly are beating aquatic elves have help... Knowledge and stories of water-based beings offering help for service, I'm sure they are pretty commonplace in Sea-Elf circles and culture. Feel free to dispute your abilities as "non-magical" with Finn, if you want.

Yes - my analogy to sea elves immediately assuming anyone underwater is a warlock with a Fathomless patron is the same as land dwelling folk assuming anyone who casts a spell is a fiend pact Warlock. I don't see why they would when plenty of other options exist. I would assume that yes, such stories are as commonplace as deals with the devil are in villages around faerun. But most people you meet will not have made a deal with the devil.

Lots of items (e.g. rings) and spells (freedom of movement, water breathing) aren't necessarily easily visible, plus there's several other class options I've given that give a swim speed (two barbarian subclasses, Tasha's variant ranger feature) which would potentially allow winning a race.

EDIT:// for that matter, why doesn't he assume she's a sea elf or Triton or other aquatic race who casts disguise self in port to avoid prejudice?

And most importantly - they've not actually had the race yet, so Finn doesn't have a reason to assume Red Knell would beat him. To those present she seems cocksure, and possibly taking a stupid gamble. She's just come back from the dead, maybe she hasn't realised Finn is half sea elf? Not every half sea elf gets a swim speed either, so maybe she's counting on that? Maybe she's just planning on cheating. So year, I guess if you're letting it stand - Not sure why he immediately accused her of being a warlock, and it equally seems reasonable for the other characters to assume he's chickening out of his bet, and his accusation was wild and unfounded. He might as well have accused any other party member.

After the race, sure he might ask questions about how she won, but again not convinced deal with the devil/fathomless pact is the most obvious, against just slipping a ring on her finger, or lying about a spell.

In terms of which characters have given a clear idea of their talents I think is only the following:

Njardun is a self processed preacher, invoked Umberlee's name, and summoned lightning. Cleric seems a fair bet, especially to Marquessa and Selendil.

Selendil has cast lots of magic, likely wizard or sorcerer or similar.

Jubal has turned into a bear, and offered to be an octopus, likely a druid.

Morn has cast some magic from his staff? Probably a magic user, but could just have a fancy magic item.

Grusk seems muscular and martial, a couple of people have maybe seen him do some healing, but I'm not convinced that would be enough to say paladin, when the person he healed might just not have been injured as much as you thought in the dark chaotic tavern.

Eirann has done nothing, could be anything.

Red Knell stabbed someone and died, probably martial given she stabbed someone.

Finn has done nothing except get some weapons (which people may or may not have noticed).

Phlebas has done nothing, except be a little odd. Current skill set, carpenter.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Morn has shown magic via his staff during the combat. He mentioned to the Bosun other magic (shape shifting, healing, and other utility) so anyone that was listening to that may know. He also just offered to heal Quessa on the docks.

28 minutes ago, DragonZaid said:

Morn has shown magic via his staff during the combat. He mentioned to the Bosun other magic (shape shifting, healing, and other utility) so anyone that was listening to that may know. He also just offered to heal Quessa on the docks.

Hey DZ, you didn't roll the healing dice. If it's all the same to you, I'm going to roll them in my post describing Quessa getting healed.

6 minutes ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

Hey DZ, you didn't roll the healing dice. If it's all the same to you, I'm going to roll them in my post describing Quessa getting healed.

Yep, in my OOC I mentioned you can roll it, since you can do up to 5d6.