Chapter 3: That Stifling Reek Arises

Whitleyrr

spacer.png

The companions kept silence as they made their way back through the sepulchral tunnels, each noting to themselves that only hours ago, such sights were easily among the worst things they had seen. No longer. Not once they had glimpsed through the portal that lay below. Not once they had seen Vadim King in his other form. Not once they had seen the devilish denizens of hell come to life before their eyes. True, Jozelle had dispatched two of them with ease, but those were minor creatures lost in a world not their own. Hardly an invasion force.

Once sunlight was seen again (blessed sunlight!) the rest of the day was given over to contacting the Captain's men, apprising them of the situation, and rousing the town militia. Lady Ittia pledged her men's swords to the cause. The militia was...less sure. Despite the protestations of Alban, Dalin, Jozelle, and Ren, the mayor clearly only barely credited their tale. Still, there was the massacre at the jail to recall and that, if anything, nerved the mayor's soul. He called for the militia to mount a defense, and so they did, but it was a lackluster one, weakened by incredulity.

Evening fell. The Captain's men stood at the ready high on the hill outside the Bathea mansion. There were about fifty of them there, led by Donato. They were armored in steel breastplates, greaves, and helms. They carried lances, swords, and shields. Some were armed with maces and warhammers. One gripped a mighty, long-hafted axe. Some were gauntleted, and still others had dressed their mounts in chainmail barding. It was a haphazard effect but such is the way of the professional mercenary. Gathered in the town square were Hethton's militia, milling about in lazy lines. Leather armor protected their bodies and short swords and bows draped their persons. Monsters were laughed off as fairy tales, but on some hung the nervous weight of doubt.

Something cracked. The soldiers, wherever they were, looked around at the noise that sounded like the breaking of earth and stone. It was a disconcerting sound, a sound even that should not be. The companions noticed that the direction towards which heads were turned was the direction from whence they had reemerged from below the earth. The great cracking had come from the graveyard. Just as men began to mutter about what it could be, the smell hit them. Warm air and the vile smell of sulfur and ash.

Edited by Whitleyrr (see edit history)

Jozelle - Human (Rogue/Monk)

spacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 39/39 | Initiative: +9 | Passive Perception: 13

So many of these men will die. Perhaps so too will I. All cut down to scarlet piles of regrets and lost potential. The soldiers... family, friends, dreams... lost. I do not wish to die. I do not think they wish to die. Just as those I...

Jozelle reached up with a gloved hand and touches the her cheek. She pulls it back and see the tip of the glove slightly damp. It's a tear. She looks at with puzzlement. For why is there a tear when she is receiving everything she wanted. Is she not an adventurer now, defending the innocents? Is she not about to face redemption? Perhaps it is not the kind of forgiveness she's been hoping for, but what better way than this to face what she has done.

What better way to face what she is.

She had spent at least some time washing away the worst of the blood and ichor, though her clothes are still ruined, there will be no fully removing the stench of this day. Still, no use to ruin another set of clothes in this fight.

"They will break." Jozelle speaks softly so as not to alert anyone but the three with her. "The militia will be wheat to the scythe. The mercenaries... I know not how far their courage reaches." She eyes each of them in turn. "I wish to be the young, foolhardy swashbuckler, to be brave and true this eve. I wish to do... whatever it is a noble soul would do. What will you do? Defend the town? Slay Vadim? Wait to see is staying or leaving is the wise course?"

Her words are their normal eerie, echoing nocturne, and yet there is something else there that is new. A hint of emotions, a feeling of sadness. It's hard to read, but it is there.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Rapier
Off Hand: Torch

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

HD: 4/4d8

spacer.pngKerenza "Ren" Marston

5th level Imperial Human Noble Grave Domain Cleric

AC: 17 (19 w shield) | HP: 52/52 (5d8) | PP: 14 | PInv: 11 | PIns: 17

"My words" | 'My thoughts' | My actions

In between their rushing about to mount a defense for Hethton, Ren found a quiet moment to dash off two messages, both bound for Glammer City. One was for the head of her temple, warning of what was to come and begging that aid be sent to Hethton; the other was for the closest thing that Ren had to a living mother, Lady Araxie von Shelson, her mother's childhood best friend. Ren had no idea what to tell Lady von Shelson, who Ren was sure could not under any circumstances be roused to believe the truth. In the end, she simply thanked Lady von Shelson for caring about her and told the older woman she was bound on a dangerous task, adding that if she and her companions failed, their world would likely never be the same again. It was utterly inadequate, but it was the best she could do in the limited time she had.

Returning to her companions, she spoke to Lord Alban. "You offered the use of your signet ring for a message bound for the temple of Mosheach asking for aid. I don't know if they can reach us in time to be useful, but perhaps they can protect places between here and Glammer City if it should come to that." She carefully avoided mentioning what it would mean if it came to that, and she trembled slightly as she offered Lord Alban her temple message.

Turning to face the group as a whole, she added, "If any of you wish to send a message to someone, I am dispatching my retainers away for message delivery, first to Glammer City, but after that, I can ask my guardsman, Niall, to deliver any messages you want sent elsewhere. I...I will give him enough gold to aid him in any necessary travel."

When Jozelle spoke, Ren studied the assassin, sensing something of her feelings even though they were hard to read. "I am inclined to agree with you about the scythe and the wheat," she said softly, her voice a near whisper. "In terms of what to do, though, I am wondering about something: does the amulet allow multiple portals to be opened, or can it only open one at a time? If it only opens one, can it only open the one we found, or can it open a portal anywhere? To me, it seems like our priorities would be best determined by the answers to those two questions, but I do not know how to get those answers before we are likely to be needed to fight. It suggests that we need to both kill Vadim King in the hope of recovering the amulet and then close the portal in order to prevent any more invaders from coming through. If we cannot make use of the amulet to close the portal, I am now strong enough to attempt to disrupt its magic, and I am ready for that task."

She offered up a rueful smile. "Is it only me, or does accomplishing all of that seem impossible? I was prepared to do some things to...well, to try to make right some things from my past that I'm not proud of, but all of this," and she gestured back toward the graveyard, the direction she thought Vadim King and his followers were most likely to emerge from, "is so much more than anything I ever dreamed I'd have to face." She gave Jozelle's arm a gentle squeeze. "It seems we are all to be tested hard before we gain our redemption."

Ren didn't know how much more she could take. She was trying her best to be strong for the others, but it was getting harder and harder. She could feel some part of herself starting to give way, beginning an inevitable slide down toward she didn't know what. The question was, could she find her own redemption before she became irretrievably broken?

OoC

OOC comments, if I have them, go here.

Mechanics

Imperial Human Cleric (Grave Domain) 5

Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven

Background: Noble Background Feature Retainers

Str 8 Dex 14 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 18 Cha 14

Proficiency Bonus +3 Saving Throws: Wis, Cha

Speed 30

Tools/Instruments: Harp

Spell Attack Bonus +7 | Spell Save DC 15 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 3/3; L3 2/2

Actions

• Dagger +4 to hit for [1d4+2] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60

• Light Crossbow +4 to hit for [1d8+2] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320

• Channel Divinity: Path to the Grave You can use Channel Divinity as an action to curse one creature you can see within 30 ft. of you until the end of your next turn. The next time you or an ally of yours hits the cursed creature with an attack, the creature has vulnerability to all of that attack’s damage, and then the curse ends.

• Channel Divinity: Turn Undead As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer censuring the undead. Each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can’t willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can’t take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.

• Eyes of the Grave At 1st level, you gain the ability to occasionally sense the presence of the undead, whose existence is an insult to the natural cycle of life. As an action, you can open your awareness to magically detect undead. Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any undead within 60 feet of you that isn’t behind total cover and that isn’t protected from divination magic. This sense doesn’t tell you anything about a creature’s capabilities or identity. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

• Destroy Undead Starting at 5th level, when an undead of CR 1/2 or lower fails its saving throw against your Turn Undead feature, the creature is instantly destroyed.

• Guidance VS, one creature, touch | +1d4 to next abililty check

• Light Dex DC14 cast light |VM (firefly or phosphorescent moss), touch/20 ft | touched item sheds light for up to 1 hr

• Sacred Flame DC14 DEX Sv for [1d8] radiant damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | cover grants no advantage to the saving throw

• Toll the Dead DC14 WIS Sv for [1d8] necrotic damage if full HP, 1d12 if missing HP| VS, one creature, 60ft | 

• Detect Magic VS, self, up to 30 feet | sense the presence of magic within 30 feet

• Bane DC14 CHA Sv | VSM, up to 3 creatures, 30ft | -1d4 to next attack roll or saving throw before spell ends

• (U) Bless | VSM, up to 3 creatures, 30ft | +1d4 to next attack roll or saving throw before spell ends (concentration)

• False Life add 1d4+4 THP for 1 hour| VSM, self |

• Guiding Bolt spell attack [4d6] radiant damage (5d6 at lvl2) | VS, one creature, 120ft | next attack by anyone before next turn has advantage

• Inflict Wounds spell attack 3d10 necrotic damage at lvl 1, 4d10 at lvl 2 |VS, one creature, touch

• Protection from Evil and Good warding buff against celestials, aberrations, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead | VSM, one creature, touch | attacks against protected creature have disadvantage, protected creature can't be charmed, frightened or possessed, or if already charmed, frightened, or possessed at the time of casting, the protected creature has advantage on saving throws against the relevant condition.

• (U) Cure Wounds 1d8+4 healing at lvl 1, 2d8+4 at lvl 2 |VS, one creature, touch

• Ray of Enfeeblement (D) DC14 CON Sv  spell attack, upon a hit targets do half damage when using weapons that use STR| VS, one creature, 60ft | 

• Aid buff allies with toughness and resolve | VSM, up to 3 creatures, 30 ft. | buffed creatures' hit point maximum and current hit points increase by 5 for the spell's duration (8 hrs)

• Gentle Repose (D) target corpse is protected from decay and can't become undead | VSM, 1 corpse, touch | extends time limit during which a corpse may be raised from the dead.

• Enhance Ability bestow a magical enhancement to the stats of one creature | VSM, one creature, touch | target gains advantage on checks made with the chosen attribute and possibly other benefits. (See spell definition)

• Dispel Magic end magical effect on one creature or object, or otherwise end a magical effect | VS, creature, item or effect, 120 ft. | If the effect is from a 3rd level spell or lower, the effect ends automatically; if it is from a 4th level spell or higher, the DC is 10 + the spell level, and is rolled using the caster's spellcasting ability. On a success, the effect ends.

• Spirit Guardians call forth spirits to protect you WIS DC 15 | VSM, self, 15 ft | any seen creatures can be specified to be unaffected; affected creatures' speed is halved in the area and when affected creatures enter the area or start a turn there, they must make a WIS saving throw. Upon a failed save, affected creatures take 3d8 radiant damage (if the caster is good) or 3d8 necrotic damage (if the caster is evil). Upon a successful save, affected creatures take half damage.

• Vampiric Touch (D) use melee spell attack to siphon the life force from others to heal your wounds | VS, self | upon a successful hit, the touched creature takes 3d6 necrotic damage, and the caster receives half that amount as healing. Until the spell ends, the attack can be made again as an action on each of your turns.

• Revivify (D) raise a creature that has died within the last minute from the dead | VSM, one creature, touch

Bonus Actions

• Spare the Dying | VS, one creature, 30ft | stabilize a dying creature (note that this is special usage of this spell granted by Circle of Mortality feature of the Grave Domain)

• Healing Word do 1d4+4 healing | V, one creature within sight, 60 ft

• Misty Step | V, self | teleport up to 30 ft away to an unoccupied space you can see.

• Hex 1d6 necrotic damage if you hit them with an attack | VSM, 1 creature, 30ft | any ability checks of your choice get disadvantage until the spell ends (concentration)

• Spiritual Weapon create a spectral weapon, make spell attack, if hit do 1d8+4 damage | VS, one minute, 60ft |

•  

Reactions

• AoO

Dalien

Dalin Ghillison (Barbarian, 5th level)

AC: 16 | HP: 70/70 | Rages: 3/3  | Passive Perception: 12 

Dalin wasn't thinking. She was sure if she started thinking, she'd be gone, walking a straight line out of town.

Instead, she was pacing, and, to the observant, she was pacing even even more quicklySpeed now 35ft. than she used. Anxiety was fire in a belly that it seemed she was trying to expel through her feet. But, she heard the conversation around her and it set her tongue in motion too.

"Gotta say, feeling a bit like wheat myself... but I agree, let's look for the amulet, try to get it back, try to use it to stop... this.

As for the town, I'm hoping the guards have a few tricks. They lent me this axe and y'all say it's magic, so maybe they are more than they seem."

As Ren asked about missives, Dalin immediately shook her head. She didn't want to think of the people she might never seen again. Her parents, her friends - there was too much to miss, too much to say. All the places she wanted to visit were struggling for mind's attention. Then, her thoughts skittered around the image of a hut, deep in the woods, one she thought she'd return to one day. Her step faltered. No, not now. She dragged her mind to the present.

"We got a plan? What do we do if Vadim's power of minds come into play and folks start turning on each other? For me, if I got any mind left, I'll drop the axe and shield... don't let me, don't let me hurt anyone." Her step quickened again and she reached a hand out to touch Bonnie in her pocket. She'd thought of letting the wee creature go to take her chances on her own, but the dwarf wasn't convinced anywhere would be safe.

As the great cracking sound and smell of sulfer reached her, she froze and spun in the direction of the graveyard. She reached up to pluck the axe and shield off her back, muttering in Dwarven a prayer to Teekond.

OOC

Having heard that the imps were speaking a language no-one understood, Dalin will also trigger "comprehend languages". It will last an hour.

Alban Lord Stuart - Human Shadow Sorcerer Credit: KuraiGeijutsu

AC: 14  | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 4/4 | Inspiration 0/1 

Alban had thought Lady Ittiah and Donato would be the harder of the two to convince, certainly they were the more valuable. However clearly the offer of revenge against the creature that slew their Captain was ample motivation. The mayor was surprisingly recalcitrant, needing Alban to employ the full variety of means at his disposal - both what he had learned himself and what Cordelia had taught. Perhaps the Mayor saw the truth of the matter beneath their veneer of hope, that each of them had been scraped raw by what they had witnessed and were holding on with broken fingernails alone as dark forces swirled beneath the little town, their fear bleeding through in the sincerity of their pleas. He did not blame the townsfolk for the desperate hope that their tales of devils and armies were lies, they needed that. Otherwise rather than muster they would perhaps be fleeing with their families into the woods. A vain attempt to outrun the wrath of a god. Certainly Cordelia had, he heard, and truthfully he had considered the same whilst clad in his invisibility earlier. Though he had not wanted to suffocate alone in those tunnels.

When the Priestess presented the letter he carefully signed his name in exquisite flowing penmanship - years of practice hiding the tremble of his hand. He rolled the bone coloured parchment and carefully dripped a glob of dark red sealing wax, imprinting the Stuart family crest with tarnished gold ring, trying to to see imagery of death in every motion. "Any and all aid is welcome, to stem this tide," he offered gravely. "Your offer is welcome," he thanked her a moment later as they all carefully stepped around the truth that they may be penning their last words, "but there are none I would wish to inform." My father would just be disappointed if I resurfaced, or perhaps he would rush to declare me lost and pass his estate on, he thought bitterly, certainly there would be no period of mourning as Vincent's.

Eventually there was nothing left to do but join the crowd lingering around the graveyard. The men-at-arms game him a sliver of hope at least. As the ground cracked, he flinched, wondering why he was still there.

At his companions words, he breaks his silence gratefully. "They will spend their lives as is their duty, that the soldiers may strike down the army," he reframes the assassins words in flowered language, hiding the ugly truth with practised ease. "A noble soul would stand behind them, and ensure their spirit does not break, nor their sacrifice wasted," he paused a moment, considering what the three of them at least had been through. How much to share. "At least, a noble would. I'm not sure if I've ever come across a noble soul."

"Perhaps now his true face is shown Dalin, his charms will have less power," he reassured the dwarf, unconvinced by his own words. They had all seen the unearthly beauty those features still held. "If not, we trust in our pact of blood. If that fails, I shall try my best to see your wishes carried out. Is there perhaps a scene that would lure you over all others? The manner matters not, as long as you can describe it sufficiently."

He turned to address Ren, keeping half an eye on the rising smoke still. Knowing what was to come. "As for the amulet, Priestess, I cannot say. The mage was vague and my questions of its power have only grown since. Perhaps if I laid hands on it I could tell you. Perhaps not. Were it not for Jozelle's display in the cavern, I would have started to doubt if Vadim King could even be slain."

His heart beat once, twice, driving sluggish blood through his veins, heavy with condensed power. Behind his eyes, shadows danced. His mind drifted back to quiet pine forests, dark blood soaking into needle carpets, and the price of power. How many more would he - could he - sacrifice upon that altar?

Stat Block

Imperial (variant) Human Sorcerer 5

Languages Common, Elven

Background Noble Background Feature Position of Privilege

Str 11 Dex 18 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 20

Proficiency Bonus +3 Saving Throws Con, Cha

Speed 30

Tools Calligrapher's Tools

Spell Attack Bonus +8 | Spell Save DC 16 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 3/3 ; L3 2/2

Sorcery Points 5/5 | ShadowTouched L1 1/1 ; L2 1/1

Actions

• Dagger +7 to hit for [1d4+4] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60
  • Light Crossbow +7 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC16 INT Sv for [2d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC16 CON Sv for [2d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll
  • Chill Touch +8 to hit for [2d8] necrotic damage | VS, one creature, 120ft | can't regain hitpoints until the start of your next turn, if undead disadvantage on attacks targeting you

Bonus Actions

Reactions

• Shield [Hit by an attack / targeted by Magic Missile]

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Ren discussed the missive, now sealed by Lord Alban, with her footman and dispatched him with all haste. Perhaps some lands could be saved this horrid tide. Perhaps.

Smoke was beginning to arise over the land from the direction of the graveyard, but it was a strange smoke that dissipated soon after billowing. It took them a moment to realize: steam. It was steam.  The malodorous wreak accompanying it turned the stomach and caused their eyes to water. A strange sight crossed their teary vision: a pack of ghouls, with a few ghasts, fled towards Hethton with all haste, caring not for man nor beast across which they came. The militia, seeing the threat, formed ranks and stepped lively to meet the threat. Swords flashes and bows twanged in the night, and it was not long before a good dozen or so ghouls lay dead, and a handful of the larger ghasts. The townsmen congratulated themselves and cheered. The threat was answered.

But the companions were probably among the few who realized the ghouls and ghasts had not even fought. They were trying to run and simply ran into the blades and arrows of a waiting militia.

Dalien

AC: 16 | HP: 70/70 | Rages: 3/3  | Passive Perception: 12 

At the scene unfolding before them, the dwarf swore softly in her own language and then muttered, "So much for prayer..." She winced and folded forward as writhing fear and fury deep in her belly strove for release.

Grimacing, she straightened and took several steps forward to take cover behind a larger tombstone. She called out toward the militia. "It's not over! Stay alert! The real threat is to come!!!"

She'd seen it enough times on the hunt. A doe in the woods doesn't run from nothing, it runs from the pack of wolves that can smell its blood. She peered forward, not wanting to see, but needing to.

OOC

Taking cover behind a tombstone (or gate post or tree or whatever is suitable) and looking into the center from where the ghouls were running.

Name
Perception
1d20+2 3

AC: 14  | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 4/4 | Inspiration 0/1 

Concentrating: Silent Image

"Perhaps they needed that, to bolster their spirit," Alban murmured. "They will surely need to for what is to come. Something that makes even the undead feel fear."

Dalin shouted encouragement, but it was of the bleak kind. He realised after a moment no-one else was going to step forward. The mayor was still scared, the men-at-arms soldiers not leaders. He needed to act the noble leader as much as Jozelle played the swashbuckler. To ignite enough courage within their hearts that they could, just for a moment, believe they were all brave and true. To fool them into weathering the charge.

"Stand strong!" he shouted, taking several steps into the open, and raising his hands. He wasn't foolish enough to completely turn his back on the cracked earth, and the power coursing his veins, ready to jump to his defence, steadied his voice. "The people of Hethton do not roll over, do not go quietly! Evil has been brewing beneath your feet, true, has snaked through your homes in the guise of Vadim King. Today, you cut it out. The boil of filth has ruptured, and you have cleansed the first monsters it has birthed. Proven they can die, just as any mortal man. Now you cauterise the wound. Jozelle the dancer ran two devils through before my very eyes. They died. To a dancer. You can do the same, you will do the same! Captain Uriah stood atop that hill and fought. It was overwhelming odds, but he fought and he won; and he chose Hethton because he knew it's people were like him! Fight for Uriah! Fight for glory! Fight!" By the end, he was shaking. It was as much to convince himself as them. Beside himself he conjured a wall of thorny vines, hiding their party and flank alike. He quickly let those nearby know its illusory nature, and the wall shimmered, faded transparent. Hopefully they would be able to surprise the devils through it.

OOC

Inspiring speech, followed up by casting Silent Image to form a 15ft tall and 15ft wide hedge of vicious thorned vines, covering the party and their flank. To those who know it's an illusion, it appears translucent.

Stat Block

Languages Common, Elven

Speed 30

Sorcery Points 5/5 | ShadowTouched L1 0/1 ; L2 1/1

Actions

• Light Crossbow +7 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC16 INT Sv for [2d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC16 CON Sv for [2d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll
  • Chill Touch +8 to hit for [2d8] necrotic damage | VS, one creature, 120ft | can't regain hitpoints until the start of your next turn, if undead disadvantage on attacks targeting you

Bonus Actions

Reactions

spacer.png

Jozelle does not have anyone to send any letters to. Perhaps the noble house she belongs to, but this all has been on her own time, her own terms, and what would she tell them? Apologies for dying without their permission? To describe the situation so they may exploit it for their own gain.

No. If she dies then it is little more than a broken blade, a bent arrow. Nothing more than a weapon no longer able to perform its role. Nothing more than refuse to be discarded.

She'd like someone to write to. She feels she does not deserve anyone to write to.

As Alban speaks, and as attention is drawn to her she subtly, but swiftly changes her demeanor. She stands in a pose that emphasizes her posture, one hand confidently on her hip, the other running through her light blonde locks. She plays the role of a competent, if a bit young and naive, would-be adventurer. Capable enough for the story to be believed. Weak enough that the soldiers can assume they too can best their foes.

In other words, she acts out a lie.

Mechanics

spacer.pngKerenza "Ren" Marston

5th level Imperial Human Noble Grave Domain Cleric

AC: 17 (19 w shield) | HP: 52/52 (5d8) | PP: 14 | PInv: 11 | PIns: 17

"My words" | 'My thoughts' | My actions

Ren found it a little sad that none of her companions wanted to send messages but was glad she had at least offered delivery.

Lord Alban's speech sounded military to her. She found it strange that some might find a call to fight for glory, assuming that meant praise or renown, rousing, but then she didn't care about renown and wasn't sure that being praised was the most important thing. His shaking told her the truth, and she placed a hand on his arm just briefly, wondering whether he would coldly pull away or receive the sense of not being alone that she hoped to impart. For all that she didn't like most noblemen, what the four of them faced was daunting and she might need this one's aid before this was all over. She herself found that feeling not alone eased the sick feeling that kept rising from her stomach. A little—a very little.

When Jozelle's posture changed, Ren followed suit, standing taller, chest out, head up, as she had been taught in her life before the priesthood. It was a lie, but it might help those they fought with.

Like Dalin, she peered into the woods beyond where the ghouls and ghasts had emerged. And that steam? What could be causing that? Thinking about steam helped her to not think about what was coming. For just a moment, anyhow.

Then she called, "Per Mosheach, adjuva eos!" and a beam of radiant light went out to touch each of her three companions.

OoC

Ren just cast the Aid spell on Lord Alban, Jozelle, and Dalin. For the next 8 hours, you add +5 to your maximum HP and +5 HP. Note that that means that if you have 5 HP or less when the spell ends, you go unconscious.

Mechanics

Imperial Human Cleric (Grave Domain) 5

Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven

Background: Noble Background Feature Retainers

Str 8 Dex 14 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 18 Cha 14

Proficiency Bonus +3 Saving Throws: Wis, Cha

Speed 30

Tools/Instruments: Harp

Spell Attack Bonus +7 | Spell Save DC 15 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 3/3; L3 2/2

Actions

• Dagger +4 to hit for [1d4+2] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60

• Light Crossbow +4 to hit for [1d8+2] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320

• Channel Divinity: Path to the Grave You can use Channel Divinity as an action to curse one creature you can see within 30 ft. of you until the end of your next turn. The next time you or an ally of yours hits the cursed creature with an attack, the creature has vulnerability to all of that attack’s damage, and then the curse ends.

• Channel Divinity: Turn Undead As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer censuring the undead. Each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can’t willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can’t take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.

• Eyes of the Grave At 1st level, you gain the ability to occasionally sense the presence of the undead, whose existence is an insult to the natural cycle of life. As an action, you can open your awareness to magically detect undead. Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any undead within 60 feet of you that isn’t behind total cover and that isn’t protected from divination magic. This sense doesn’t tell you anything about a creature’s capabilities or identity. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

• Destroy Undead Starting at 5th level, when an undead of CR 1/2 or lower fails its saving throw against your Turn Undead feature, the creature is instantly destroyed.

• Guidance VS, one creature, touch | +1d4 to next abililty check

• Light Dex DC14 cast light |VM (firefly or phosphorescent moss), touch/20 ft | touched item sheds light for up to 1 hr

• Sacred Flame DC14 DEX Sv for [1d8] radiant damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | cover grants no advantage to the saving throw

• Toll the Dead DC14 WIS Sv for [1d8] necrotic damage if full HP, 1d12 if missing HP| VS, one creature, 60ft | 

• Detect Magic VS, self, up to 30 feet | sense the presence of magic within 30 feet

• Bane DC14 CHA Sv | VSM, up to 3 creatures, 30ft | -1d4 to next attack roll or saving throw before spell ends

• (U) Bless | VSM, up to 3 creatures, 30ft | +1d4 to next attack roll or saving throw before spell ends (concentration)

• False Life add 1d4+4 THP for 1 hour| VSM, self |

• Guiding Bolt spell attack [4d6] radiant damage (5d6 at lvl2) | VS, one creature, 120ft | next attack by anyone before next turn has advantage

• Inflict Wounds spell attack 3d10 necrotic damage at lvl 1, 4d10 at lvl 2 |VS, one creature, touch

• Protection from Evil and Good warding buff against celestials, aberrations, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead | VSM, one creature, touch | attacks against protected creature have disadvantage, protected creature can't be charmed, frightened or possessed, or if already charmed, frightened, or possessed at the time of casting, the protected creature has advantage on saving throws against the relevant condition.

• (U) Cure Wounds 1d8+4 healing at lvl 1, 2d8+4 at lvl 2 |VS, one creature, touch

• Ray of Enfeeblement (D) DC14 CON Sv  spell attack, upon a hit targets do half damage when using weapons that use STR| VS, one creature, 60ft | 

• Aid buff allies with toughness and resolve | VSM, up to 3 creatures, 30 ft. | buffed creatures' hit point maximum and current hit points increase by 5 for the spell's duration (8 hrs)

• Gentle Repose (D) target corpse is protected from decay and can't become undead | VSM, 1 corpse, touch | extends time limit during which a corpse may be raised from the dead.

• Enhance Ability bestow a magical enhancement to the stats of one creature | VSM, one creature, touch | target gains advantage on checks made with the chosen attribute and possibly other benefits. (See spell definition)

• Dispel Magic end magical effect on one creature or object, or otherwise end a magical effect | VS, creature, item or effect, 120 ft. | If the effect is from a 3rd level spell or lower, the effect ends automatically; if it is from a 4th level spell or higher, the DC is 10 + the spell level, and is rolled using the caster's spellcasting ability. On a success, the effect ends.

• Spirit Guardians call forth spirits to protect you WIS DC 15 | VSM, self, 15 ft | any seen creatures can be specified to be unaffected; affected creatures' speed is halved in the area and when affected creatures enter the area or start a turn there, they must make a WIS saving throw. Upon a failed save, affected creatures take 3d8 radiant damage (if the caster is good) or 3d8 necrotic damage (if the caster is evil). Upon a successful save, affected creatures take half damage.

• Vampiric Touch (D) use melee spell attack to siphon the life force from others to heal your wounds | VS, self | upon a successful hit, the touched creature takes 3d6 necrotic damage, and the caster receives half that amount as healing. Until the spell ends, the attack can be made again as an action on each of your turns.

• Revivify (D) raise a creature that has died within the last minute from the dead | VSM, one creature, touch

Bonus Actions

• Spare the Dying | VS, one creature, 30ft | stabilize a dying creature (note that this is special usage of this spell granted by Circle of Mortality feature of the Grave Domain)

• Healing Word do 1d4+4 healing | V, one creature within sight, 60 ft

• Misty Step | V, self | teleport up to 30 ft away to an unoccupied space you can see.

• Hex 1d6 necrotic damage if you hit them with an attack | VSM, 1 creature, 30ft | any ability checks of your choice get disadvantage until the spell ends (concentration)

• Spiritual Weapon create a spectral weapon, make spell attack, if hit do 1d8+4 damage | VS, one minute, 60ft |

•  

Reactions

• AoO

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)
Name
Perception
1d20+4 15
Nature - cause of steam?
1d20+1 8

Concentrating: Silent Image

Another persona thrust upon her may not be what Jozelle had sought in her redemption, but perhaps it would help them all make it through this day alive. Those tears may have been the first real emotion Alban had seen the doll-like assassin show, and they needed her sharp as her blade for the fight to come - never mind inspiration. When the Priestess reached for his shaking arm, Alban stepped back, smoothly so as to give the illusion of simple misfortune meaning they did not touch. He did not need her pity, he thought scornfully. The divine light that bolstered him was annoyingly welcome however, with what they were to face. He continued to concentrate manipulating the shadowed wall of thorns that shielded them, tense behind it.

OOC

Inspiring speech, followed up by casting Silent Image to form a 15ft tall and 15ft wide hedge of vicious thorned vines, covering the party and their flank. To those who know it's an illusion, it appears translucent.

Stat Block

Languages Common, Elven

Speed 30

Sorcery Points 5/5 | ShadowTouched L1 0/1 ; L2 1/1

Actions

Bonus Actions

Reactions

Dalien

AC: 16 | HP: (70+5=75)/70 | Rages: 3/3  | Passive Perception: 12 

Dalin shifted her position to take advantage of the Alban's illusion. She knew little about magic, but she understood the benefit of hiding when a threat was near even if the dark thorns, translucent, gave her the heebie-jeebies. That feeling was nothing compared to the creeping terror she felt over the possibility of Haasatan rising before them.

She glanced at the dark sorcerer as he finished his speech to rally the militia. It was the probably the most she'd ever him say at one time. Her lips thinned and twisted. It wasn't what she wanted to say. She wanted to tell them to run, to hide. If they ran, then maybe it would be ok for her to run too. But, as much as she wanted to, she couldn't... not with everyone staying.

Dalin looked across at Jozelle, looking so posed and impossibly ready. The dwarf knew it was a show, or probably so, but she wondered if Jozelle herself even knew what Jozelle was feeling this moment. Without really knowing or understanding why, Dalin realized she cared what happened to the young woman. Her grip tightened on her axe.

Sweaty palms already.

The radiant beam of light from Ren disrupted her thoughts. She wasn't sure she she fancied people casting spells on her without her blessing, but the woman seemed to walk a straight line. Her gut told her she was trustworthy and she wasn't running either. She nodded thanks to the cleric, honestly grateful for any small boon that might help.

It was hard for them to determine whether it was the stench of sulfur that struck them first, washing over them like a putrid, miasmic wave, or the rumble and crack of earth and stone breaking. Alban seemed to have bolstered the men, but each of the companions harbored doubts it would be enough. All too soon, they were proven correct. From beyond the graveyard, from the corridors buried by memory beneath the ground, from the hole ripped in the reality of their plane that had grown below Hethton for who knew how long, erupted an army of Hell. Steam suffused with brimstone parted reluctantly to admit the first ranks of devilish imps to the field between Hethton and the graveyard. They flew on fell wings in remarkably ordered rows, would anyone dare to remark upon it. Rank on rank they came and the men of Hethton squared up and stood at attention for the first time all evening. They faced overwhelming numbers.

The charge was ordered and the men sprang forward to meet the onrushing infernal legion. The clash was tremendous. Whip and tail and claw met steel and leather in a sound no one would sound forget. The screams of the wounded and dying were hard to distinguish, man from devil. The Captain’s Guard rode down the hill into the devil’s flank, shattering them on the first pass and giving breath to the footmen of Hethton. But the imps kept coming, and behind them, greater terrors. Ren stood high to see if she could peer through the curling steam and called the warning. The imps were just the first wave. She saw the portal had erupted from beneath the earth, unearthing the buried beloved of Hethton and scattering their bones like hoarfrost on a meadow. A lone figure directed the legions of the damned and Ren knew him not. But Alban did. Dalin swallowed hard in recognition. Jozelle’s eyebrow twitched. From within the portal, driving the infernal corps forward, was the cruel face of Vadim King, in mortal body no longer, but revealed in what must be his true form. Leathery wings held him aloft over the lava-cracked ground and a cruel curved blade danced in his hands. He shouted to the impish soldiers in harsh tongue, whipping them into a frenzy and as he moved to and fro, dangling from his neck swung their cursed prize: the amulet.

spacer.png

Jozelle watches the fighting, the shouts and flickers of lights dancing off her eyes. It is when Vadim King finally appears that she speaks. "It is a moot point now, but had we come across Vadim, I intended to simply strike him down. No accusations, no warnings, no words... only a swift death. I feared either of you would fall under his sway, magic or otherwise." She pulls her rapier free.

"This has been... difficult. I know not any more who or what I even am. I am... lost. Perhaps... perhaps I always have been. I do feel though that everyone will be better off if we end that man, that beast, and see if we can't save us all by doing so. Is this proposal... acceptable?"

Mechanics

Concentrating: ?Phantasmal Force

White hot rage burst from deep within Alban's chest at the sight of the devil's arrogant grinning face, the creature that had lured him so. It overtook all thoughts of the battle and for a moment all he could hear was the pounding blood within his ears, as his vision narrowed. Jozelle's words - quiet and uncertain - are barely a whisper in his mind, but eventually he drags himself back enough to answer. His anger condensed into a cold thing, to join the others within. His revenge was in sight. "You would have no argument from me," Alban replied above the clamour of battle, "he was as guilty as sin and justice demanded his death. Now that his form is revealed, you would have no argument from any I believe. Perhaps you can still be Justice. I will try to lure him forward for your blade."

The wall of thorns had served its purpose in hiding the charge of their flank, and the first of hell's infernal legions had felt the pain of it. It would not be enough though; already the militia died as Alban had expected them to, and though they took down devils between them that infernal portal would supply two more for each that fell.

His power answered his call eagerly as he wove a personal nightmare to punish Vadim King, full of his spite and hate and pain. First, a stab of pain to distract his mind, then a private vision of doom. Unfurling behind him six wings set around a holy white fire bound in golden bands, its beauty as terrible as its righteous anger. The inner eye opened, unveiling radiance that burned against the devil:s back. Hopefully fear of penance would drive it from the portal, and into Jozelle's waiting arms.

OOC

Action 1: Mind Sliver - DC16 INT Sv

Action 2: Phantasmal Force (Extended Spell Metamagic) - DC16 INT Sv, -1d4 if failed above

Stat Block

Languages Common, Elven

Speed 30

Spell Attack Bonus +8 | Spell Save DC 16 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 3/3 ; L3 1/2

Sorcery Points 4/5 | ShadowTouched L1 0/1 ; L2 1/1

Actions

Bonus Actions

Reactions