Althea - Bariaur Fighter 9 & Outsider 3 Favored 5 Ranger 1

I've seen other people already express interest in this game before I thought about jumping on the bandwagon, so I am cool with waiting for them to get their characters in before mine is considered, in fact I'd hope that is the case.

The house rules make Combat Style of rangers superfluous. If I have understood the Creation Points rules, with that in mind, I've been able to create this Favored Soul 3, UA Variant Ranger 6 build with the Bariaur race from Book of Exalted Deeds, with the aim of advancing Favored spell levels while sticking to Ranger advancement.

Name Althea Whirlgrazer
Gender female
Race BariaurBook of Exalted Deeds, p.165
Nationality Crendu
God/Align Ehlonna, NG
Class: Fighter 9, Outsider 3, Favored SoulComplete Divine, p.6 5, Ranger 1
Role Ranged DPR, off-Support
Office Surgeon

Languages: Andaroni, Elven, Sylvan, Celestial

Racial Traits
Large, Quadruped, Darkvision, Outsider (Bariaur)

Creation Points 1/19
-12, Favored spell level +4
-4, LA buyout 2
-1, Point-Buy Increase to 30
-1, Skill Group Extraordinary Ability (Heal)

HP 135
AC 19
Defensive Bonus 16
Longbow 19/19/14/9/4
Fort/Ref/Will, Brave: 11/14/9, 12
Speed 40

Str 14 Dex 20 Con 14 Int 16 Wis 14 Cha 14

Skills
Balance 9, Climb 9, Concentration 13, Diplomacy 4, Heal 21, Hide 13, Intimidate 9, Jump 21, Craft (Alchemy) 19,
Knowledge (Geography) 6, Knowledge (Nature) 13, Listen 11, Perform (Flute) 3, Profession (Cook) 3, Profession (Sailor) 8, Ride 7, Search 6, Sense 8, Silent 10, Spellcraft 5, Spot 8, Survival 8, Swim 12, Use Rope 6

Companion Skills
Spot 16

Class Features
Fighter Bonus Feats, Bravery, Armor Training Lvl 9, Wild Empathy, Track, Favored Enemy (Magical Beast),
Animal Companion (Eagle)

Feats
Point Blank Shot, Dodge, Mobility, Mounted Combat, Skill Focus: Heal, Mounted Archery, Ride-by-Attack, Spirited Charge,
Trample, Improved Toughness, Precise Shot, Skill Focus: Concentration, Weapon Focus Longbow, Spring Attack,
Weapon Specialization, Shot on the Run, Rapid Shot, Manyshot, Precise Shot, Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm,
Improved Feint, Improved Trip, Whirlwind Attack, Ranged Pin, Improved Rapid Shot, Weapon Finesse, Quick Draw,
Skill Focus: Jump, Deflect Arrows, Improved Grapple, Snatch Arrows

Gear
Gloves of Dexterity+2, Mithral Chain Shirt Barding +1, Merciful Str-14 Composite Longbow +2, Unguent of Timelessness,
Healer's Kit x2, Cloak of Resistance 1

Miscellany: Peasant Outfit, Backpack, Saddlebags, Rations x4, Torch x4, Sewing Needle, Paper Sheet x10, Inkpen x2, Ink vial,
Lamp x2, Oil x2, Sack, Bucket, Soap, Vial x10, Flint and Steel, Waterskin, Blanket, Artisan's Tools (chef), 5g

On-Ship: Alchemist's Lab (set up in personal cabin, or the surgeon station)

Money: 1610g 2sp, 6cp

Spells
Favored
(Bonus Spells Known and Spells Per Day: Charisma 14, on linked sheet)
0th: Stabilize, Light, Purify F/D, Guidance, Create Water, Mending
1st: Endure Elements, Sanctuary, Entropic Field, Cure Lite Wounds
2nd: Cure Mod, Silence, Lesser Restoration

Skill Group Spells (Ex)
Heal Level
0th - Detect Poison, Stabilize
1st - Cure Light Wounds
2nd - Cure Moderate Wounds, Delay Poison, Remove Paralysis
3rd - Cure Serious Wounds. Remove Blindness / Deafness, Remove Disease
4th - Cure Critical Wounds, Neutralize Poison
5th - Mass Cure Light Wounds
6th - Heal, Mass Cure Moderate Wounds

Contacts/Notable
Lathinar - Elf druid, childhood friend on Crendu. An experimenter in wizardry, fascinated with man-made magics and the magic of the natural world, and the idea of marrying them together beyond the "safe" scrolls, potions, and runes, even though it's an impossible dream.

Vashi - another bariaur adventurer like Althea, who left on his own a few years shy of her own departure from the island. She was unruly, even for the island tribe's chaotic extraplanar cousins, and a prankster in the way only pixies can appreciate. She delighted in dramatic discord. She left of her own accord after breaking a few hearts and being an overall nuisance and the source of many disturbances. None have seen her since, and apart from family ties, for all they care it's good riddance to bad rubbish.

Appearance
Althea has a "just-washed in the river" look, wearing her hair long and swept back behind horns and ears. Before becoming a freebooter, Althea used to wear naught but a bra. Even after being introduced to the revolutionary notion of covering more skin than utility demands, the barrier between said skin now includes chain barding over a padded caparison and tunic. The paint on her face, in keeping with the traditions of her tribe, sets her apart as the exotic fish out of water on the roster. Of course, this is all incidental to her four-legged lower goat ewe (sheep) body, with a tan, shorthaired pelt.

Personality
Althea was demure during her life on the island, secretly proud of her talent. On deck, she prefers to be more scarce, wary of the intentions of the odd crewman willing to try a different rack of lamb, so to speak, and has sharpened her tongue and turned capricious after one such misadventure. Nevertheless, she is gentle in the triage cabin and genial in the galley. She misses the forests of Crendu dearly, and values any shore leave near foliage where she can run free and breathe in the country air. She also enjoys sweet wines.

Background
When the stars are right, the limits of the planes of the Great Wheel grow thin and may merge with ours, marking the beginning of many new journeys and journey's end for beings flying hither and thither across the firmament. One such people were a grand tribe of half man, half ram creatures, the nomadic bariaurs of Ysgard; a handful of their kin, weary of the petitioners of the Nordic gods, chose to settle in the forests of our world and foster a close kinship with the druids on the island of Crendu.

To a pairing among these fast friends of the druids was born a horned eweling who found herself the object of sectarian debate over whether she was marked by Ehlonna or Tyr, a debate that grew more spirited when she began to work minor miracles. Both the druids and her kin agreed on one thing: the eweling must be prepared for a journey of her own, while the elders petitioned the gods for a sign to reveal her destiny. Until Tyr and Ehlonna broke their silence, the eweling, named Althea, was allowed to pursue a calling among her natural talents, among which she discovered an aptitude for healing, and felling big game.

In the year that followed Althea's twenty-fourth winter, an Andaroni ship named "Swift Vengeance" made landfall after a recent skirmish, with several officers in critical condition. The healers of the tribe had their hands full already after a hunt gone wrong, landing these officers in Althea's tent at her juniors' tender mercies until she could return from slaying a rampaging dire bear and its mate with the warriors, though she did return in time to take over and apply a dear reprieve to her new patients with a proper application of pain-soothing salve, healing the fatal wounds with her miracles the following day.

The captain of the Swift Vengeance was very impressed and offered to hire Althea on the spot. The druids and the tribe were in agreement and urged Althea to go, believing that Ehlonna's design for her life lay outside of the land of her birth. Perhaps sailing while serving the captain would lead her by the godess's benevolent will? Or, perhaps Tyr's, as the druids and the tribe had not yet reached a consensus on that issue. Unsure, but guided by her inner voice, she agreed to ride with the Swift Vengeance for a few days' journey to a port to resupply and hire fresh meat, during which she would have a trial run and get her sea legs.

(Enter: Purple Dragon Inn)

(added a flock name. It came as a part of the schism with the greater tribe of bariaurs, who dubbed the splinter tribe "Whirlgrazers" as an insult for wishing to stay in one place, denoting the archipelago of the game's Known World for being the splinter tribe's location of choice for settling down.)

Portrait

spacer.png

Crunch

Racial Traits
Bariaurs are Large, Quadruped creatures. They take up 10x10 on a grid.
Outsider 3: 3d8 HD (gestalt: Fighter is superior), BAB 3 (equal to Fighter 3), two extra feats, +2 Listen and +2 Spot

Abilities
Point Buy
STR 10 (2), DEX 16 (10), CON 12 (4), INT 14 (6), WIS 10 (2), CHA 14 (6)
Total: 30

Racial Mods: +4 Strength, +2 Wis, -2 Cha, +10 Land speed

Increases: All +1 at 4th Level and 8th Level

Derived stats
HP Fighter 12 +Con, +Improved Toughness x9
AC Chain Shirt 4+1 Enhanced, + 5 Dex (Mithral) -1 Size
Defensive Bonus 10 +6 Dex (w/ Gloves)
BAB Fighter, 1.25x9 +6 Dex -1
Ranged and Unarmed Attack Full Bonus, -Size, w/ Decimal: 20.25 and 16.25
Saves: Favored/Outsider: Good across board, 1/2*lvl +2. Fighter/Ranger: Good Fort/Ref 1/2 +2, Bad Will 1/3
Save decimals: 10/13/9.3
Land Speed 40 racial

Skills
Fighter 9
gestalt: Outsider (Bariaur) 3, Favored 5, Ranger 1

Start: (13+Int) *6 = 90

Bariaur Start, 90: Handle Animal 4, Hide 4, Jump 4, Listen 4, Silent 4, Sense 4, Spot 4, Survival 4, Intimidate 4, Ride 2, Climb 4,
Alchemy 4, Swim 4
cross: Balance 2, Con 2, Diplomacy 2, Heal 2, Geography 2, Nature 2, Perform (Pan Flute) 1
Search 2, Spellcraft 2, Cook 1, Use Rope 2

Bariaur 2nd, 15: Hide 1, Jump 1, Listen 1, Silent 1, Sense 1, Survival 1, Climb 1, Intimidate 1, Swim 1, Alchemy 1 (hold 1)
cross: Balacne 1, Use Rope 1

Bariaur 3rd, 15+1: Jump 1, Listen 1, Sense 1, Survival 1, Intimidate 1, Swim 2, Intimidate 1
cross: Balance 1, Heal 1, Geography 1, Search 1

Favored 1st, 6: Con 3, Heal 3

Ranger 1st, 12: Con 1, Heal 1, Jump 2, Sailor 2, Listen 1, Swim 1, Nature 2, Hide 2

Favored 2nd, 6: Con 3, Heal 3

Favored 3rd, 6: Con 1, Heal 1, Jump 1, Sailor 3

Favored 4th, 6: Jump 2, Sailor 1, Alchemy 3

Favored 5th, 6: Heal 1, Jump 1, Alchemy 2, Swim 2

Intelligence Improvement: Intelligence at level 8 adds 1 retroactive skill point for a total of 8 points, and 1 extra at level 9:
Climb 2, Nature 3, Hide 2, Swim 2

Skill Focus: Heal

Size: Hide -1

Totals: Balance 9, Climb 9, Concentration 12, Diplomacy 4, Heal 21, Hide 13, Intimidate 9, Jump 21, Craft (Alchemy) 20,
Knowledge (Geography) 6, Knowledge (Nature) 10, Listen 11, Perform (Flute) 3, Profession (Cook) 3, Profession (Sailor) 8,
Ride 7, Search 6, Sense 8, Silent 10, Spellcraft 5, Spot 8, Survival 8, Swim 14, Use Rope 6

Armor penalty negated by Mithral 3, Masterwork 1, and Armor Training 3

Feats
Free: Weapon Finesse, Power Attack
Outsider 1/Fighter 1
Fighter Feat: Point Blank Shot
Bonus 1: Dodge
Advance: Mobility
Outsider 2/Fighter 2
Fighter Feat: Improved Unarmed Strike
Bonus 3: Skill Focus Craft (Alchemy)
Outsider 3/Fighter 3
Bonus 2: Improved Toughness --> (Complete Warrior p.101)
Advance: Deflect Arrows, Improved Grapple, Snatch Arrows, Superior Unarmed Strike
Favored 1/Fighter 4
Fighter Feat: Mounted Combat
Bonus 4: Skill Focus Heal
Advance: Mounted Archery, Ride-by-Attack, Spirited Charge, Trample, Spring Attack
Ranger 1/Fighter 5
Bonus 5: Rapid Shot
Advance: Manyshot
Favored 2/Fighter 6
Fighter Feat: Combat Expertise
Bonus 6: Skill Focus Jump
Advance: Improved Disarm, Improved Feint, Improved Trip, Whirlwind Attack
Favored 3/Fighter 7
Bonus 7: Ranged Pin --> (Complete Warrior p.104)
Advance: Weapon Focus Longbow (class), Weapon Specialization (Longbow)
Favored 4/Fighter 8
Fighter Feat: Improved Rapid Shot
Bonus 8: Shot on the Run
Advance: Greater Weapon Focus
Favored 5/Fighter 9
Bonus 9: Stunning Fist

Spell Slots and Known Spells
Planned at later levels (much later):

0th: Stabilize, Guidance, Light, Purify F/D, , Detect Magic, Create Water, Mending
1st: Endure Elements, Sanctuary, Entropic Field, Cure Lite Wounds, Comprehend Languages, Divine Favor
2nd: Spiritual Weapon, Cure Moderate, Silence, Remove Paralysis, Restoration Lesser
3rd: Remove Disease, Remove Curse, Cure Serious, Windwall
4th: Cure Critical, Freedom of Movement, Restoration

Spell Group Levels
Spells Per Day +Int: Skill Group Level 7 = Six level 0, Six level 1, Five level 2, Three level 1
Per day: 0th 6/6, 1st 6/6, 2nd 5/5, 3rd 3/3

Skill Group Spells Known
Heal rank 12-3 = 9

Gear 1610g 2sp, 6cp/36000
Gloves of Dexterity +2, 4000g
Mithral Chain Shirt Barding +1, 18000
Merciful Strength 14 Composite Longbow +2, 10600g
Cloak of Resistance 1, 1000g
Alchemist's Lab, 500g ----> (set up in personal cabin, or the surgeon station)
Unguent of Timelessness, 150g
Healer's Kit x2, 100g

Miscellany (total: 39g, 7sp, 4cp)
Peasant Outfit (free)
Backpack, 2g
Saddlebags, 4g
Rations x4, 20sp
Torch x4, 4cp
Sewing Needle, 5sp
Paper Sheet x10, 40sp
Inkpen x2, 2sp
Ink vial, 8g
Lamp x2, 2sp
Oil x2, 2sp
Sack, 1sp
Bucket, 5sp
Soap, 5sp
Vial x10, 10g
Flint and Steel, 1g
Waterskin, 1g
Blanket 5sp
Artisan's Tools (chef), 5g

Item source, calculation:

Barding: Chain Shirt (Masterwork), Mithral (DMG I p.284), x4, Enhancement 1
(250+4000) x4, +1000 = 18000

Longbow: Masterwork Composite Longbow Strength 14, Merciful (DMG II v 3.5 p.225), Enhancement 2
600+2000+8000 = 106000

Gloves of Dexterity (DMG I p.257)

Alchemy Lab (PHB p.110)

Unguent/Oil of Timelessness (UA 1st p.91)

Inspiration: Canopus in Tactics Ogre

I chose Favored Soul to start out because it is hard to find a female ram-taur or cervitaur without horns, as they do not have them. My explanation in-lore is that her horns are a manifestation of Ehlonna's divine portent.

Edited by rorytheromulan
To date: updated contacts (see edit history)

I'm happy to see your interest. Bear in mind that some rules might change out from under you (though you'll get an update in the house rules changes thread). I am focusing on adapting the house rules from former campaigns at the moment, so it will be a while before I can look over what you're doing.

Will do, I think I will advance Fighter for the arrow build, and Favored Soul to 3 and then switch to Variant Ranger while buying up spell level progression in Favored. I think I remember reading about a Creation Point cost to multi in an other class outside of the two chosen for the Gestalt pairing. Is that a one-and-done cost or is it per level in the desired class?

Gosh this is some powerful homebrew. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the characters were chosen by the gods or something.

If you don't mind my giving advice:

• I think you should clarify what your build is
    Something like Favored Soul 9 | Bariaur 3/Fighter X/Ranger Y ?
    (I don't recall if racial HD takes one side or both; LA was clarified to take both IIRC but you're buying it off, so no matter.)
  • We only get 19 points total, not 37, but then you only need 12 to buy 4th level spells (+1 set aside to get 5th level spells later on), not 24. Still, you may have to drop some other bonuses.
  • You definitely don't get 5th level Favoured Soul spells at level 9. You need to be at least level 10 for that.

I thought you could buy spell progression up to the highest spell slot available depending on what level you are, like 5th level for clerics. But I will drop that down anyway while I reduce and refigure distribution of my points.

And while I'm getting to it, it's Fighter 9, Favored 3, and Ranger 6.

Cleric 9 gets 5th level spells so needs 15 points for that, getting 4 more for other things. But if you have fewer levels of caster and thus fewer spell levels, you only pay for what you need at character creation time. Favoured Soul 9 gets 4th level spells, Ranger gets lesser, so the cost for that buld would be 3*4=12. Favoured Soul 10 gets 5th level spells, and so someone would need 3 character points if we advance to that level, meaning they'd need to save one point from the level 9 build to be able to afford that.

in your case FS 3 needs 3rd level spells, Ranger 6 needs first, so you only pay 3x3 = 9 points for your spellcasting.

Got it, I read the Ranger's spell table wrong too. New draft, correct spell slots and known spells, correct Creation Points, dropped 5 from Point-Buy, dropped extra Feats and put them in planning, dropped all Ex. Skill Group abilities except for Heal, removed the Diamonds, readded the Horseshoes of Speed. How's the layout working for you? I know it hasn't exactly conformed to the 2-post requirement for application threads, but are you able to find everything?

12 points was if you took Favored Soul 8 or 9, to get 4th level spells.

With 3 levels of Favored Spell, you're limited to 1st level spell, so you only have to pay 3 points for this 1 level of spell.

And the 3 Bariaur Hit Dice replace class levels, they're not separate (also note that they don't give you additional feats, the 2 feats referred to are the ones you normally get at levels 1 and 3).

So possible builds are Favored Soul 9 coupled with Bariaur HD and some combination of Ranger and Fighter, or Fighter 9 coupled with Bariaur 3, FS 3, Ranger 3 (but I don't think just 3 levels of FS make much sense). Or drop one of the classes.

I see, well, I wanted Ranger partly for the class skills, so I'm fine with bumping Ranger down and squeezing Outsider in ahead of Favored. I'll end up with a bit of a wider skill portfolio than I thought, with some Outsider points buying Cross-Class ranks before taking levels of Favored & Ranger.

Ok. After some thought I could drop Ranger to 1. Favored plays into the concept and I should lean into that.

edit: there we go. Ranger 1, Favored 5. Got spell slot 4 with Favored level 5 +3 from Creation Points, and caught a few mistakes.

Edited by rorytheromulan (see edit history)

I've added another character hook for you. Now you should be able to work with at least two of those, I hope.

Finally understood what you guys were trying to tell me. Proper spell level and spells known, thank you for your patience. 😐

Edited by rorytheromulan (see edit history)