The Millennial Jubilee of the Kingdom of High Ishtahnos - 2004 IR, 2037 IC

Elemental

In recognition of one of their closest neighbors and longstanding friends, the Group of Seventeen has sent a relatively large delegation: six people, all dressed in the black-and-silver jumpsuits that have become the closest thing the Castaways have to a formal uniform. Three of them gravitate towards the buffet; eating in the company of foreigners is a tad cumbersome, since they've been instructed not to fully expose their faces lest other guests be scandalized, and the typical Castaway mask is a scarf or veil covering the lower half of the face. However, the prospect of another country's cuisine is more than tempting enough to make up for the inconvenience. Another two venture towards the dance floor, mingling with Ishtahn dignitaries and foreign delegates.

The last makes her way over to their host to pay respects to the High King. In her youth, Janice 9398 would have been giddy about the chance to not just visit Ishtahnos, but meet their king; it is for exactly this reason that they selected an older Janice, her yellow hair beginning to turn white. Fannish enthusiasm is not what one wants in a formal diplomat. Still, the warmth in her voice is real as she offers a bow. "Your Majesty. Thank you for inviting us to join this celebration of your history. I hope that the next thousand years are as blessed as the last."

20 hours ago, Elemental said:

Space Magic Show

The High King and Queen of Ishtahnos watched, fascinated as Tiyansi so effortlessly told gravity to sit down and shut up. They applauded once she returned to the ground and clacked her heels together, as did about half the people in the ballroom. Whether it was her intention to create a spectacle or not, Tiyansi had managed to do so. Even Ira, the King's normally stoic and intimidating body guard seemed genuinely impressed which ruined the air of menace he worked so hard to achieve.

"Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! And in a planetary gravity well as well!" Isolde said with her hands clasped together in delight, "Forgive my enthusiasm, but our people are incapable of such feats of magic, but that was effortless. How is it done? Is it through some means of artifice like the sorceries of Kildora or Narsai? Or is this power an inborn trait of the Llort? But where are my manners, you are here for a party, not to give lessons on the intricacies of the arcane. Please, eat, drink, dance. Perhaps if time permits it we can discuss it privately?"

Tiyansi's face seemed to literally brighten a little bit at the applause she received. Despite having pride in her ability, it was still pleasant to receive recognition for it, especially in a place where it wasn't so common as on Al-Miraiya. She made note to perhaps try this again on Sansar and Badal.

"It makes me happy to see my magic bring you joy, and I would likewise be happy to discuss the details of llortan magic privately, Queen Isolde. For now, I shall free you to attend to more illustrious guests than I, and perchance find myself a partner to share in dance."

She curtseyed again--although not capable of withstanding the lure of showing off one last time, she didn't lower her body with the movement, but instead raised her legs, as if the ground under her feet had risen up at the same rate as she dipped down. Then she stepped back, turned and walked away, taking a glass of what she thought looked like some kind of wine from a servant. She surmised that at least with the attention her display had been given it would not be difficult to find a dancing partner and enjoy the Jubilee for what it ultimately was--a party.

On 2/21/2024 at 1:54 PM, Elemental said:

A budding friendship based on mutual nerdy interests? Or a cynical political ploy?

"Once my hosting duties allow it I would be glad to do so," he says, genuinely pleased at finding some sort of common ground with the normally aloof Imperial Ambassador, "I hope I don't sound too boastful when I say there's no better way to be immersed in the history of Ishtahnos than a tour of the Palace. So much of our people's history is recorded in the stones here, sometimes literally. I think you'll find the Royal Gallery particularly interesting. Have you ever seen the skull of a slaver demon?"

"I cannot say I've had the pleasure. My own fields tend to hew towards the mechanical arts. Physics and engineering and the like. Still, there is pleasure in a display of expertise properly presented, wouldn't you say?"