Rules-As-Written Discussion

If I take the half-celestial template on a race with no racial HD, what level adjustment do I use? Do I use +4 level adjustment, or do I use +2 level adjustment, as per the Book of Exalted Deeds, p. 27? If I use +2 level adjustment, do I still receive the full progression for spell-like abilities and spell resistance?

If I have a force weapon from the Magic Item Compendium, p. 35, does it bypass a wind wall?

Thank you for your time.

I thought I had made a decision about the half-celestial template (+2 LA without the SLA progression, 2 character points to add the SLAs), but +2 LA may be too generous according to some comments. I'm still thinking about it.

On 2/20/2024 at 12:53 PM, Colette said:

If I have a force weapon from the Magic Item Compendium, p. 35, does it bypass a wind wall?

I don't see why it would; do you have some thoughts on why it should?

If you were to ask me, I would say it depends: does it add a damage type, or does it change the properties of the item itself?

Such as an item transformed to behave as though it were made of Force or guided by Force. That might penetrate Windwall. Such that the element of Force transforms the shaft itself to cause it to fly unerringly, not wholly dependent on conventional factors like wind speed, trajectory, draw strength etc.

(on that note, can you tell me the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?)

But, for comparison, a fire-tipped arrow with a wooden shaft is still going to burn up if it passes through a raging inferno or a lava flow, right? As opposed to normal fire, which doesn't catch on, eat through, wood anywhere near fast enough to pose a risk to destroying that arrow. But if you had yourself a javelin without a wooden shaft, or with a gilded shaft, that could pass through a raging inferno or a lava flow if thrown at adequate force to pass through faster than it could melt or char within the heat.

Another important question to consider is what spells or abilities you would allow to penetrate Windwall according to this ruling.

Edited by rorytheromulan (see edit history)

On 2/22/2024 at 3:57 PM, dalamb said:

I thought I had made a decision about the half-celestial template (+2 LA without the SLA progression, 2 character points to add the SLAs), but +2 LA may be too generous according to some comments. I'm still thinking about it.

Have you made any final decision about the pricing of the half-celestial template?

On 2/22/2024 at 2:57 PM, dalamb said:

La +2 for a Drow vs LA +2 for Half-Celestial template (without SLA) you can get an idea of difference in power.

Maybe LA +3 without SLA or Drow being LA +1