The Tavern - General OOC

cailano

I would say as long as the side quests are not of the one way variety I am good with it. I would like to be able to abandon a side quest just as easily as one can be picked up

1 hour ago, LarsWester said:

I would say as long as the side quests are not of the one way variety I am good with it. I would like to be able to abandon a side quest just as easily as one can be picked up

As always, you're in charge of your characters and I won't ever act to remove player agency. Now, if you march two levels deep into some forsaken temple and then decide you're done, some of the residents of the temple might have something to say about you leaving... But I as GM won't have a problem with your decision.

*nods*

That seems reasonable to me.

And hey, in case you don't live in Maine or Massachusetts, happy Patriots' Day! It's a holiday we made up so we have an excuse to watch the Red Sox at eleven in the morning while folks run the Boston marathon outside of Fenway. Sure, it doesn't make much sense, but we don't really question it, because it's a day off, it's the epitome of spring and it's awesome. haha

Edited by Raistlinmc (see edit history)

I think at some point we'll eventually want to explore beyond Helix to some of the neighboring towns, but in terms of the overall direction of the adventure I doubt I'd pursue many side quests. Barrowmaze is why I'm here, looking forward to the megadungeon experience. Of course, over experiencing the megadungeon, Dougal may very much change his mind and seek greener pastures. I hear the Tomb of Horrors is nice this time of year.

image.jpeg.60a7d25fb91f6022f8b7e3b7065e53e6.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Sellsword said:

... I hear the Tomb of Horrors is nice this time of year.

image.jpeg.60a7d25fb91f6022f8b7e3b7065e53e6.jpeg

LOL.

After thinking about it, I think what I'll do is drop clear hints in-game that a side quest might take you away from the Barrowmaze for a while. Then, you guys can have your PCs respond as you like. It's not much of a sandbox if there are no options.

23 minutes ago, cailano said:

After thinking about it, I think what I'll do is drop clear hints in-game that a side quest might take you away from the Barrowmaze for a while. Then, you guys can have your PCs respond as you like. It's not much of a sandbox if there are no options.

i like this approach

On 4/15/2024 at 1:10 PM, matt_s said:

i like this approach

Agreed, seems a good fair way to handle it. We can't always avoid metagame stuff but i think this is the easiest way to handle it for everyone involved.

trying to dial tharnakalian's dialogue into a not-very-bright person's idea of a smart person. "prismatic labyrinthing" is of course a basically nonsense phrase. it's a tightrope to walk because nonsense in real quantities is hard to read and just annoying lol.

2 hours ago, matt_s said:

trying to dial tharnakalian's dialogue into a not-very-bright person's idea of a smart person. "prismatic labyrinthing" is of course a basically nonsense phrase. it's a tightrope to walk because nonsense in real quantities is hard to read and just annoying lol.

Love it. I'm looking forward to a whole dictionary of Tharnakalianisms.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually say a game is successful when it hits 1000 combined posts for IC and OOC, but we're closing in on that already, and it still feels like we're just getting started.

Well played so far! No one has died, and we still have all our original players. Excellent.

That's a true statement, right there: Cai is excellent at this. Always has been too.

I've been playing PbP since 2009 - holy shit, that's fifteen years - and he is, unquestionably, one of the greatest PbP GMs I've had the pleasure of playing with. I've played with a ton of online GMs. Some are good, some are well-meaning (which usually means close to good at least, though not always) and some aren't either of those things, but Cai's one of the best without a doubt. Few people can elevate the asynchronous approach to gaming and storytelling like he can.

Aw man, you guys are making me blush.

But GMs live for that stuff.

But you’re all still probably gonna die in the Barrowmaze.

But I’ll feel appropriately guilty for it.