The Tavern - General OOC

cailano

Here we go, everybody. Almost 1000 posts in, and we've finally come to what you signed up for, one of the most infamous dungeons in the entire hobby. Good luck!

You guys are doing great so far, but this isn't my first rodeo, and one place I've seen groups bog down is at decision points in a dungeon. Left or right? Door or stairs?

And this place is the Winchester Mystery House of dungeons. There are so many different ways to go.

And I don't know the answer here, but what are some thoughts you guys have for making quick decisions? Maybe assign an expedition leader on a per-expedition basis? Or even a permanent party leader?

Of course, I'm just the GM, so I don't get a vote. But I'm sure we all want to see the game moving forward efficiently.

3 minutes ago, cailano said:

You guys are doing great so far, but this isn't my first rodeo, and one place I've seen groups bog down is at decision points in a dungeon. Left or right? Door or stairs?

And this place is the Winchester Mystery House of dungeons. There are so many different ways to go.

And I don't know the answer here, but what are some thoughts you guys have for making quick decisions? Maybe assign an expedition leader on a per-expedition basis? Or even a permanent party leader?

Of course, I'm just the GM, so I don't get a vote. But I'm sure we all want to see the game moving forward efficiently.

My suggestion is we search all the areas on the right side 1 at a time and work our way around the current area we are in.

21 minutes ago, Excior said:

My suggestion is we search all the areas on the right side 1 at a time and work our way around the current area we are in.

Sure, but I'm thinking of a general strategy for speedy group decision making.

2 minutes ago, cailano said:

Sure, but I'm thinking of a general strategy for speedy group decision making.

I think Black Dougal should be the party leader.

I know it might get harder for you @cailano but I am for player agency. So if I player posts that their character is doing something than that is what their character is doing rather than wait for a party leader to say what the party is as a whole doing.

For instance Sellsword mentioned that Dougal was going down the hall with someone with light. I posted that Thomas was checking that first door on the South wall for traps and also listening there for any noises.

I agree that trying to gain a consensus of party members about which direction to go is not going to work. I would just encourage people to feel unfettered in their posting. I will back anyone else's opening any door. Maybe this strategy wouldn't work for PbP long term I don't know. If not then all good with a leader making decisions. Makes sense that this would be someone if the front row.

Both I and (especially) Zaivie would be just fine with Mr. Dougal as the party leader for minor, "left, right," decisions but not necessarily, "Ohh, let's open that sarcophagus," decisions. If that makes sense. :)

Black Dougal is flattered.

When posting actions, certainly when posting actions that are potentially dangerous, I try to make sure there's either party consensus or make it so that I'm the only one at serious risk--and that's usually just to gather more information (such as checking for traps or scouting ahead with backup that has a torch). I also generally include "unless someone has a better suggestion" or "unless someone is seriously against it" in my posts, giving people a chance to speak up before I open the proverbial coffin. 🙃 I try not to be reckless to the detriment of the group, but I also try to keep the game moving since I definitely understand @cailano's comments about parties getting bogged down by analysis paralysis.

That said, I'm also on board with @LarsWester's comment. Some of the best moments at a gaming table have been when a party member goes rogue, and I'd never want to take away a player's ability to play their character.

For dungeon exploration, I think generally the intention should be to check things as we go in the order we find them--so clear the doors closest to the exit, for example. Right or left really doesn't matter (assuming we don't have any inside knowledge that would instruct the decision.

2 hours ago, Sellsword said:

Black Dougal is flattered.

When posting actions, certainly when posting actions that are potentially dangerous, I try to make sure there's either party consensus or make it so that I'm the only one at serious risk--and that's usually just to gather more information (such as checking for traps or scouting ahead with backup that has a torch). I also generally include "unless someone has a better suggestion" or "unless someone is seriously against it" in my posts, giving people a chance to speak up before I open the proverbial coffin. 🙃 I try not to be reckless to the detriment of the group, but I also try to keep the game moving since I definitely understand @cailano's comments about parties getting bogged down by analysis paralysis.

That said, I'm also on board with @LarsWester's comment. Some of the best moments at a gaming table have been when a party member goes rogue, and I'd never want to take away a player's ability to play their character.

For dungeon exploration, I think generally the intention should be to check things as we go in the order we find them--so clear the doors closest to the exit, for example. Right or left really doesn't matter (assuming we don't have any inside knowledge that would instruct the decision.

If it comes to it I will be that guy weather it a door or a monster or a pile of treasure, by that guy I meant that scene in Conan the Destroyer after they get to the tomb and get the Horn when they are on the way out they encounter the cultists there is a long line of banter and Conan finally says " Enough talk!" and throws his dagger. I vote for BD to be the leader but if the game starts to bog down I will open a door or what not. FYI

Edited by Excior (see edit history)

33 minutes ago, Excior said:

If it comes to it I will be that guy weather it a door or a monster or a pile of treasure, by that guy I meant that scene in Conan the Destroyer after they get to the tomb and get the Horn when they are on the way out they encounter the cultists there is a long line of banter and Conan finally says " Enough talk!" and throws his dagger. I vote for BD to be the leader but if the game starts to bog down I will open a door or what not. FYI

Ah, the Lerory Jenkins approach.

https://youtu.be/mLyOj_QD4a4?si=mOfRgJmhEllh61S5