Barrowmaze Part One: The Barrowmoor

cailano

Serpe

Othar seems genuinely happy to see you and claps you on the shoulder when you approach. "Brother Serpe, glad to see you and your companions are still alive."

Cella murmurs a quick blessing and makes a sign of warding when you tell the story of finding the body. Othar looks grim. "Too many lives have been lost in that Moor. Greed is a tempting siren for too many of the desperate and ill-prepared. If the victim was one of the faithful, we can bury him in the church graveyard. If not, we can still take possession. We'll perform a ceremony and conduct a cremation. With the dead resting so uneasily in recent months, it is the best way."

Tharnakalian

A few minutes after you leave Dougal to complete negotiations with Bertrand, you arrive at The Axe and Anvil, Karg Barrelgut's shop.

Inside, you find Karg deep in conversation with a young dwarf, who jumps when you enter. Karg settles him down and then crosses to you.

"Ah! You come for the shield, heh? I have it. Karg Barrelgut keeps his word! You bring back Gern, this good. Smart idea, you talk to Bertrand instead of getting killed. Maybe even you smart enough to get rich out in the Barrowmoor instead of dead, heh?"

It seems highly unlikely that Dougal arranged Gern's release before you could walk here from the Strumpet.

Thomas

Taycee returns with your mugs in short order. "Here you go, sweetie. I had Bollo fill 'em up extra for you and your thirsty friend."

"The tall building? Oh, the one next door? That's the Rosy Quartz. Huffenpuff's place. He sells jewelry, but mostly he makes his money on loans to them who need it."

image.png.06fd47ef5ad4defaf62a64a5804ac912.png

"It's a pleasure doing business with you," Dougal replies. "I had thoughts leave the coin with the innkeeper, for payment to be released once Gern makes his way to the Strumpet." Taking a moment, he looks to the priest of Thor, nodding in deference. "But I see there's no need for that. I've heard nothing but good things about your patron Thor, sir."

Dougal counts out 11 gold coins, handing 10 to Bertrand and the last to the priest. "For the temple, with my thanks. If you would instruct Gern to visit the blacksmith when you next see him, I'll consider our business concluded. Ugritte!" he calls out to the barmaid, "please see that the needs of my friends are attended to for the evening. A round of drinks are in order."

Excusing himself, Dougal gives his regard to the Brigands before excusing himself. Just before leaving, he turns one last time speak with Isenwyn. "If there is ever any way I can be of service, my lady, I am at your disposal."  He bows once more, slightly, and then returns to his comrades.

When he arrives at their table, he wipes a bead of sweat from his brow. His legs shake nervously. "I have secured the release of Gern. Anyone have a drink?? I'm parched."

4 hours ago, cailano said:

"Ah! You come for the shield, heh? I have it. Karg Barrelgut keeps his word! You bring back Gern, this good. Smart idea, you talk to Bertrand instead of getting killed. Maybe even you smart enough to get rich out in the Barrowmoor instead of dead, heh?"

cropped_man_at_arms.jpg.26b5a67df8697a26c5a94d4611064eec.jpgTharnakalian shakes his head. We'll only come from the shield when we have him from the grip of the bandits for a certainty and that time ain't come yet. Just wanted to keep you appraisaled, that's all. But whether by guile or gold or force of arms, we will uphold our end of the deal.

Thomas.PNG.27c6461ee7d33253283c0b6725a507bd.PNG

HP 5/5 | AC 16 | Base To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Thieves Abilities | Bullets/Silver x20/5

"Well done Dougal. Have this beer I'll get a new one. I hear this one is extra filled. What did it take to gain Gern's freedom?"

Thomas eyes the Brigands suspiciously as he waits for an answer.

Zaivie positively beams at the news.

"Great news, Mr. Dougal! Cheers!"

That said: if she's at all interested in the various and sundry details of just how her companion had managed to do it, she's apparently got a helluva poker face as her attention quickly turns back to her drink and brown bread before her.

Tharnakalian

Karg seems completely confused by your answer. He gestures at the dwarf behind him.

"But... this is Gern. He's here. Bertrand release him already."

Gern looks up. "The bastard paid me five gold for two weeks of being his slave. I never wanted to work with them. I got press-ganged. All these damn adventurers. A dwarf can't walk the streets anymore. I thought they were going to kill me. Probably would have but I told them Karg was my cousin."

Black Dougal

Bertrand is happy enough to take your gold but the cleric does so only after some hesitation. He then sets the coin down on the table, pushes his chair away, and takes his ale outside.

When you return to your table you hear the Brigands laughing uproariously. You don't know what the joke is, but you have a feeling that somehow it's at your expense.

1 hour ago, cailano said:

"But... this is Gern. He's here. Bertrand release him already."

cropped_man_at_arms.jpg.26b5a67df8697a26c5a94d4611064eec.jpgTharnakalian pauses.

Oh. I'll take the shield I suppose but I rightly can't say one way or another how much credit we deserve in this. Still, it's a damn poor thing to enslave another. Don't sit well with me and it bloody shouldn't I reckon. Won't be sharing a round with Bertrand soon or ever that's for sure. I'd spit on the ground but I'd rather not dirty your establishment.

HP 5/5 | AC 16 | Base To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Thieves Abilities | Bullets/Silver x20/5

Thomas waves down Taycee again. "Can you bring me another ale one of those first two went to me friend here?" When she leaves Thomas says in a quieter voice. "Nobody leave on their own Bertrand's Brigands are going to be looking for someone to replace Gern. With that in mind after dinner, would anyone like to accompany me to see if Mr. Magnificent is more accepting of guests at this hour?"

Edited by LarsWester (see edit history)

"Can't say I'm much in'erested in wizards an' th' like. But if'n yer lookin' fer someone ta watch yer back an' keep ya company as ya head over there, Tommy Boy, then sure, I'm yer girl," Zaivie offers.

15 hours ago, matt_s said:

cropped_man_at_arms.jpg.26b5a67df8697a26c5a94d4611064eec.jpgTharnakalian pauses.

Oh. I'll take the shield I suppose but I rightly can't say one way or another how much credit we deserve in this. Still, it's a damn poor thing to enslave another. Don't sit well with me and it bloody shouldn't I reckon. Won't be sharing a round with Bertrand soon or ever that's for sure. I'd spit on the ground but I'd rather not dirty your establishment.

Karg narrows his eyes at you. "Wait. You not even know Gern here. You not get him back, Bertrand just let him go. No shield for you."

Name
Tharnakalian CHA Check
1d20 6

Thomas smiled at Zaivie and winked "Good to know you've got my back Zaivie. I ain't all that interested in gaining the ire of a wizard either but some of us had some questions they wanted to ask about writings and what not. All a bit above my head. Just thinking if he has a telescope to look at the night sky he could be functionally noxious and asleep during the day."