Barrowmaze Part One: The Barrowmoor

cailano

EVENING

Serpe brings the remains of the scorpion's victim to the Shrine of St. Ygg, and Tharnakalian returns from the Axe and Anvil. You catch each other up on current events.

Of course, you now get Bertrand's "joke." By the time Dougal approached him, the Brigands had already released Gern.

Thomas and Zavie head to the Wizard's Tower and find it the same as in the morning. The Do Not Disturb sign is still on the front door.

What next?

Thomas.PNG.27c6461ee7d33253283c0b6725a507bd.PNG

HP 5/5 | AC 16 | Base To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Thieves Abilities | Bullets/Silver x20/5

Confronted with the "DO NOT DISTURB" sign again Thomas contemplates the situation. He checks the sign and how it is hanging to see if it could be removed with a 10' pole. He also checks the doorway itself to see if it would possible to slip anything underneath. "I don't know Zaivie maybe he's not even home. Maybe we should buy him a cake or something."

Finally he glances up at the telescope to see if there is any light at all coming from the observatory.

Thomas and Zavie

The sign is handwritten on thick, pulpy paper. It has been nailed to the door and would be very easy to tear off. It looks like it's been there a while — at least several days.

There is plenty of space to slip a note under the door.

Thomas and Zavie

Light is coming from inside the tower, and while you're standing at the door, you can hear some banging around inside. Someone is definitely home.

"Cakes 're nice, don' get me wrong, but we could jus' do this instead," Zaivie says before knocking on the door with three sharp raps. She turns to Thomas and shrugs, offering him one of her trademark grins.

"Worth a shot, yeah?"

Of course, it doesn't even occur to the warrior that she doesn't actually have anything to say to this wizard if he does come to answer the door, but that seemed more like a problem for future-Zaivie than present-Zaivie.

Edited by Raistlinmc (see edit history)

mazzahs.png.25f4fa9e34e82e06b1336b4d2833e600.pngIn short order, Mazzahs the Magnificent yanks the door open. "What? Who's there? Who are you? Can't you read? No... no, probably not. Well, what do you want?"

Mazzahs makes a less-than-magnificent impression. His left eye is larger than the right, making him look bug-eyed. His wizard cap is bent, and his robes are decorated with small charms and knick-knacks that jingle when he moves. He has a charcoal pencil tucked behind one ear and numerous rolled-up papers jammed into his belt.

HP 5/5 | AC 16 | Base To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Thieves Abilities | Bullets/Silver x20/5

Thomas several feet back from the doorway answers "Sorry to distress you Mr. Magnificent. I ... I mean we are adventurers who have been recovering artifacts from the barrow mounds. We were told that you were a master of the arcane arts and we were wondering if we could consult with you about some of our findings, Sir. We saw the sign on the door but we are not the brightest intellectuals of our party. What's it say?"

Zaivie begins to protest that of course she could read the sign, even if she wasn't exactly the world's greatest reader...but then it occurs to her that maybe Thomas is lying for a reason and that it'd be best to keep her mouth shut for the moment.

Mazzahs snorts. "It says to leave me alone! What it does NOT say is that I make exceptions for paying customers. Been to the Barrow Mounds, have you? What did you find there? Treasure? Enchanted relics? Ancient scrolls? Speak!"

cropped_man_at_arms.jpg.26b5a67df8697a26c5a94d4611064eec.jpgTharnakalian is more than a little surly as he returns to the Strumpet.

No shield is a steep price for being candid, confound it. Are we all up for another go at the Mounds tomorrow? That prank was ill done but we are still making a profit on all this nonsense and we're all still breathing so it could be worse.

Did the others go to speak with the wizard? Let's hope they return as we last saw them rather than as barnyard animals.

Tharnakalian shivered at that.

"We found these big...uhh...well, big fragile somethin's-'r'-other. Clay-like, yeah? Fancy, fragile shit, no doubt about it, yer Mr. Magnificentness. An' I 'spect we'll be gettin' more where tha' came from, since me 'n' th' boys seem ta have a knack fer this whole grave-robbin' thing."

The worst part of all this is that Zaivie really felt like she did well there too.

On 4/26/2024 at 8:17 PM, Raistlinmc said:

"We found these big...uhh...well, big fragile somethin's-'r'-other. Clay-like, yeah? Fancy, fragile shit, no doubt about it, yer Mr. Magnificentness. An' I 'spect we'll be gettin' more where tha' came from, since me 'n' th' boys seem ta have a knack fer this whole grave-robbin' thing."

The worst part of all this is that Zaivie really felt like she did well there too.

"Eh? Clay things? Tablets? Masks? What are you on about, girl? Where are they? What do you want?"

"Yeeeeah...all good questions, all good questions," Zaivie replies, head bobbing. "I ain't 'xactly th' gal in th' group 'ere who ya wanna be askin' all them details of, ta be honest, yer Magnificentness. But I know th' boys I been workin' with c'n answer all that fer ya an' I think you'll be innerested in th' answers. Ya think we c'n all pop by t'morrow mornin' b'fore headin' out ta th' Mounds an' they c'n tell ya what'cha wanna know? Or is t'morrow night better for ya, sir?"

Name
GM added CHA check for Zavie
1d20 19

Mazzahs the Magnificent laughs at Zavie's stammered response. "Arcantryl's socks, you've got more heart than brains, don't you? Fine. Come back when you've got something to show me. And bring gold! Nothing's free, especially not Mazzahs!"

The wizard withdraws into his tower, shaking his head and chuckling. He shuts the door firmly behind him.

At least you don't seem to have offended him.

With the door closed Thomas finally breathes again letting out a long held breath. He quickly checks himself and then Zaivie happy to find that they are still human in form. Zaivie quite a lovely female form. Thomas swallows hard before stammering "That went fairly well Zaivie. Good job. We aren't lizards or sheep or anything like that. I couldn't think of anything to say. Let's go tell the others that he is looking for scrolls and relics and things like that." Thomas throat was dry all of sudden "Let's go get another drink Zaivie. My throat is dry after encountering a real life wizard. I always thought their hats were more pointy though. This one had a floppy hat. Wonder what that means. Probably significant."