save bar vanishing while using sheets

neock

as requested by eric on the discord, im placing this as a reminder.
the MW site is removing the save bar while im using a sheet, causing lost data. they think its a login timeout caused by chrome.
posting a log of the discussion in the discord below for reference

________

1. [1:07 PM]neock: 

odd isue going on with the site. when i am using my sheet for a game, i randomly notice the whole save bar area is gone, and the only way to get it back is to refresh... and loose all the edits made.
  2. [1:07 PM]neock: 

this happening with anyone else?
  3. [1:08 PM]neock: 

its been happening for like a month. i save my sheet manualy every 20 minutes when in use so i dont loose everything from that session, but needing to look thrue and see whats missing every time is a bit of a pain
  1. EricToday at 1:42 PM

Standard questions: what OS/browser; any add-ins/VPN; same symptoms across multiple devices/browsers; any other users of the same device+browser?
  2. neockToday at 1:54 PM

no other people can use my pc. browser: both opera gx and chrome. no VPNs, and extentions are just ublock origins (for plugins that effect more than just screwtube)
  3. [1:56 PM]
    and yes, the issue is presant on both GX and chrome. tried disableing my Ublock too as a first test. still happened
  4. EricToday at 1:58 PM

OK. That narrows it down to "something is preventing the session from being kept alive", which means either (a) a setting that is blocking cookies/localstorage, or (b) an issue where the tab goes to sleep and the session refresh timeout gets skipped by the browser. (edited)
  5. [1:58 PM]
    Leaning toward (b) since you're clearly getting logged in at the outset and losing connection thereafter.
  6. [1:58 PM]
    I suppose there's always (c) sporadic internet failure, but you'd likely notice that from general use of the PC.

neockToday at 2:00 PM

opera does put the tabs to sleep when not directly tabbed into the tab. but chrome dont have that as a setting, and it will remove the save button while im looking at it. and ya, my internet isnt the issue. its stable and i make sure to check network issues asap.
  8. [2:01 PM]
    opera is a chromium base... so maby something in chrome itself is screwing up? it did send a browser update notice a few weeks back, about the time this started

EricToday at 2:05 PM

Chrome does do the tab sleep thing, it just doesn't let you turn it off.
  10. [2:05 PM]
    I'll see what can be done, but please drop a topic in Site Feedback so I don't forget.

When you say "it will remove the save button while im looking at it", you mean while the browser tab is active on the screen? This would be surprising because there's no code that affects the UI state after the sheet is loaded. If you are seeing the save button disappear milliseconds after activating the browser or the specific tab, then my original hypothesis may still hold.