CoJ: OOC Talk

Paro

Guys I made a shared inventory sheet in a new thread. Claim what you want, just mark it down! I had Elias take a potion of CLW.

Paro, can I assume all of that stuff isn't magical?

Once that's done, can we sell off the unneccesary stuff or trade it out at headquarters? I can help figure the math if needed.

Thanks, FJ. But maybe we don't need to keep that current inventory into the next module.

I actually found the comments at the end of the first module that I had not read yet. :p

It recommends being well into 3rd level before starting the next module.

I suggest we all level up and be allowed to take care of some off-line shopping for gear to bring us on par with the 3000gp WBL. The notes suggest some side adventures if necessary to level up or rolling right into the next module. So, we could very well have completed so off-line adventuring to bring our XP & GP to where it should be.

I am okay with that since we are appearing to take an IC break off camera for the leveling up and GM switch. Sort of makes more sense this way to get on par. But could go with 50% resale value instead of 100%.

I guess the resale value doesn’t really matter if we are balancing to 3000 though right? We don’t need to track extra inventory then.

How much downtime would we have? I’d like for Elias to do some scribing if possible.

13 minutes ago, FrancisJohn said:

I guess the resale value doesn’t really matter if we are balancing to 3000 though right? We don’t need to track extra inventory then.

How much downtime would we have? I’d like for Elias to do some scribing if possible.

That was what I was thinking. I think we just went with WBL for 2nd as well.

Downtime is up to us and/or Aura. But story-wise it is flexible either way.

I'm thinking of boning up on the next segment of the adventure over this week. Like Paro, I've not cracked it open yet, so the first thing I'm going to do is make sure our feeling the characters should be level 3 is appropriate. From what I've seen of AP's, it sounds like it should be, but I just want to double check.

So it looks like Elias can scribe level 1 and 2 spells in two hours. Any ideas on a fair amount of hours per day and how many days Elias would be able to prep before the next scene? I really have no idea.

I've updated my character sheet. I'd venture to say that Elias spent most of his time and gold on buying scrolls and scribing them to his spellbook.

Working on Elias's sheet brought up another interesting thought that perhaps we could discuss here rather than the general LPF forum. I'm still not sold that we can't have some form of crafting/brewing/scribing at LPF.

If you look on how it's listed on his sheet and inventory, tracking spells copied to a spellbook seems pretty simple if we want, as long as it's tracked clearly on the character sheet. All of those scrolls carried on his person were purchased at full price, not created himself. Why can't we have characters be able to make a scroll in game? Or brew a potion? Obviously these abilities might be limited by plot and in-game time, which is certainly fair.

Crafting magic weapons and wondrous items might be a little more intensive to include, but why couldn't a ranger craft some of his own arrows?

I'd probably be open to having crafting be available once in a game, but adventures/adventurers cannot start with any crafted items at half-cost or whatever it is. Of course items can fluffed as created for story fun, but mechanically still be by the books.

Any thoughts?

(editing in to mention that Elias's sheet is ready to go though!)

Edited by FrancisJohn (see edit history)

OK, I just finished the reading/prep of the adventure. I now have to worry the nuts and bolts of maps, tokens, etc. Considering we won't need them initially, we're close to being ready.

This segment of the adventure is initially very different from a typical adventure, and you may feel like your character is a bit like a fish out of water. Because of the pacing of PBP, this feeling may persist for weeks or even months, so I'm going to preemptively offer this: Don't worry. It is an assumed part of the adventure that some, if not all, of the PC's will be seemingly sub-optimal for the task at hand. As such, it is accounted for.

Finally, for the initial part of the adventure, I'm relegating Valeria very much to an NPC / supporting role. The initial part is more heavily coded for 4 participants than most modules, and having her help support you instead of directly participate seems the most more appropriate than the options the module author lists.

The Plan: I'll set the stage sometime midweek and we'll get going.