Ironsworn Odyssey OOC

Posted (edited)

We haven't heard from TOM in a while (last post was Friday night). There are a few things that seem like big items for which we should have his opinion.

Assuming TOM's OK to move forward, I'll defer to the consensus of the group--because this process is new to me, I don't feel qualified to know when we're ready to start.

And if we're ready to start, then perhaps we should discuss who will write the opening post. I'd be happy to write it and be the "scene facilitator" (providing the questions for the PCs to respond to), but wouldn't be able to spare the time and creative energy until Friday after work. So if we roll the dice and my number comes up, we'll still be waiting a few days.

I'm the person who proposed a sea-travel themed game involving a dangerous odyssey through an archipelago, so I do enjoy sea-travel-based games. I'd normally say I have a "particularly keen interest" in writing and scene-facilitating this scene because of the narrative elements we've discussed: a ship at sail in a storm, struggling for survival. That's right up my alley. However, I also feel like I'm the least experienced with both Ironsworn and GM-less collaborative play. So I'm hesitant to request the lead.

Do any of you feel a "particularly keen interest" in writing and scene-facilitating this scene?

If not, do we roll the dice or should I start us off and learn by trial and error?

Edited by Wizard of the Coat (see edit history)

I think there's some merit to 'striking while the iron is hot'-or, in other words, not to delay things too much and start while everyone's interest and excitement levels remain highest. So I am all for starting soon.

But I agree-we should wait for @TheObsoleteMan to see if they are ready.

I am happy if someone wants to take the 'Scene Facilitator' hat and frame the opening scene. I don't care too much if it will take until Friday, and I don't care too much if all the details are not set. I've watched plenty of solo and cooperative actual plays, and I've seen how things in those emerge organically, so I am not too worried. Plus, this is experimental stuff, so if there's some small contradictions here and there, I can live with it.

I also don't hate writing the opening scene, so I a happy to roll a die for it if that's what most of us prefer! :)

I agree we should wait for TOM and see if they are ok with all the decisions thus far.

23 minutes ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

However, I also feel like I'm the least experienced with both Ironsworn and GM-less collaborative play.

I think the merit of it being collaborative is that we can also support each other with that, the pressure of it all is distributed between the 4 of us rather than the daunting task that GMing is for a new player. Furthermore, I imagine the scene facilitator's role is mainly for that starting post per scene anyway, setting the mood, ideas and questions. Afterwards it's all up to wherever we want the narrative to take us rather than them being the 'head' of the scene.

19 minutes ago, Vladim said:

I am happy if someone wants to take the 'Scene Facilitator' hat and frame the opening scene. I don't care too much if it will take until Friday, and I don't care too much if all the details are not set. I've watched plenty of solo and cooperative actual plays, and I've seen how things in those emerge organically, so I am not too worried. Plus, this is experimental stuff, so if there's some small contradictions here and there, I can live with it.

If the others feel similarly, and no one else is particularly interested in the opening scene, then I'm happy to write the opening post. I've DM Dungeon World in PbP, so I think I'll be OK with the idea of painting opening scenes in the broadest of strokes, and relying upon questions-driven, "play to find out what happens" collaboration.

And if my post or questions need adjustment, I would welcome the feedback and help revising the post.

So we'll wait on TOM, in case he wants the scene. Or he's not ready.

On the topic of the proposed archive, if any of you would like some resources external to what Ironsworn offers, I'll be more than happy to add them in. Just let me know if it's procedures, location tables or other tables in general.

1 minute ago, Delorphin said:

On the topic of the proposed archive, if any of you would like some resources external to what Ironsworn offers, I'll be more than happy to add them in. Just let me know if it's procedures, location tables or other tables in general.

I'm not completely sure I understand what you're offering. Are you talking about "playing aids" tables, e.g. tables showing the different moves available to PCs in the different contexts of play?

Not quite, more like tables and procedures that help aid a narrative. For example, as an addendum to the location oracle found in Ironsworn, we could also toss in Wanderhome's location natures if we need a better understanding of the location. An example would be the "bridge" nature. This doesn't mean that the location is explictly a bridge, but takes the conceptual elements of one, being a place of passage from one to the next. It also includes moves that the bridge can do such as describe what's on the other side and push something off the edge. There are other tables that I have that offer more specificity and flexibility than those found in the oracle if we would like to roll and get some ideas as well. There are other procedures that exist, such as in Mythic GME, but may increase the overhead to an undesirable amount so I'll hold off on that until we actually start playing.

Just thought I'd put an @TheObsoleteMan here in case it helps.

TOM, the general consensus is that we're ready to start the game. We've discussed a few ideas since you last logged in and would like you to weigh in on them--ideas for which there is general agreement among the three of us. Specifically:

1. Your thoughts on the in media res game start we came up with: an in media res opening set during or immediately following the Cataclysm involving high-stakes danger forcing the four characters--who start in close proximity--to band together and cooperate for mutual survival. More specifically, we're on a small ship in a dangerous storm, and our ship is in danger of being destroyed or severely damaged--while simultaneously dealing with internal strife aboard the ship.

2. Your thoughts on the idea of us taking turns writing the opening post for each scene and being the scene facilitator (which would involve asking questions of each player to help develop the narrative).

3. Your thoughts on the idea that, as we transition from one location to the next, we will discuss (OOC) the kind of place we are visiting next and some characters we might find there--and sometimes we will do so from the perspective of our characters' pre-cataclysm memories of the place, allowing the scene facilitator to update or change our ideas to account for the post-cataclysm setting.

4. Your thoughts on our idea to create a World Lore thread in which we detail the lore we develop for this game.

5. Your thoughts on our idea to create a "Game Conventions" thread in which we detail the special conventions we adopt for our GM-less collaborative game (e.g. taking turns writing the opening scene and taking on the "scene facilitator" role).

6. Your thoughts on the starting ship we decided upon: the equivalent of a viking knarr.

7. Your thoughts on our consensus that the PCs are adequately ready for us to begin the game.

8. Your thoughts on our consensus that we've adequately detailed the setting and opening scene in order to begin the game.

9. Your thoughts on the idea that I (Wizard) will take the first turn writing the opening post and development questions. Your welcome to take the lead if you want it.

10. Your thoughts on starting the game tomorrow (Friday) night or Saturday morning. [I thought someone in our group was not going to be posting on weekends and I'm wondering if that's you.]

Hey all, thanks for waiting up. It's been a hectic week.

Having looked over everything, I think we've got a great set up, and I have no objections to the items @Wizard of the Coat mentioned. Many thanks for the synopsis!

I'll be good to go any time. I typically don't post a lot on the weekends, no, but I'll be sure to keep up to date this weekend so as not to bog things down at the start.

Thanks again for your patience everyone.

@Vladim @Delorphin @TheObsoleteMan OK, I've posted the opening scene. I originally started the scene already in the storm, but felt that the internal strife just wasn't working, so I backed things up the just before the storm. If the set up doesn't quite work or isn't what we were expecting, let me know and I can revise.

Also, with the questions, I just used my Dungeon World sensibilities. And I provided a selection of questions for each player, hoping at least one of them would grab you. If these questions can or need to be improved/revised, I'm ready to be schooled.

As for writing questions for Ari, that ended up feeling... un-collaborative. So I thought maybe each of you could write one question for Ari, and I'd pick one or more of them to address in my next post.

Thoughts, questions?

It looks excellent to me, and the effort that went into it really shows-I quite like it! I will likely need a few days to find the time to make a reply (and come up with a question), but I'll try to do so next week.

Happy Easter to those who celebrate!