Ironsworn Odyssey OOC

21 hours ago, Vladim said:

2. I think you can decide what it means in the context of the narrative. In general, I'm happy to start with players applying the narrative outcome of their own moves-unless they prefer someone else to do it. In this case, the move says that on a strong hit, you gain advantage (in addition to the purely mechanical +3 momentum), so feel free to describe what it is in the narrative! Ideally it should be something directly related to Ari's action, but it can be other things too.

I didn't have time to update my post. So since I'll be waiting until tomorrow night or later, I thought I'd ask...

I was thinking that "major advantage" would effectively end the disagreement about which direction we go, the three Kabrians agreeing to head into the storm rather than go to land. The "major advantage" would be the avoidance of combat while we're trying to survive, and the idea that the Kalbrians will joining the other passengers on bailing duty--bailing water from Sigla's deck.

Does that sound like a "major advantage" or is that too much?

1 hour ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

I didn't have time to update my post. So since I'll be waiting until tomorrow night or later, I thought I'd ask...

I was thinking that "major advantage" would effectively end the disagreement about which direction we go, the three Kabrians agreeing to head into the storm rather than go to land. The "major advantage" would be the avoidance of combat while we're trying to survive, and the idea that the Kalbrians will joining the other passengers on bailing duty--bailing water from Sigla's deck.

Does that sound like a "major advantage" or is that too much?

Yup, I'm good with that if everyone's on board!

I am guessing the next (or maybe next-next) order of business is for someone to make the Swear an Iron Vow move for the Inciting Incident. If either of you would like to attempt it and believe that their PC has the narrative positioning to do it, please feel free to go ahead and make a post.

I can also probably attempt it-I think Melia could plausibly make it without it being too much of a stretch. But I am happy to give the spotlight to another!

7 hours ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

A crazy busy day today, and--oddly--a wedding to attend immediately after work. I have thoughts on the "oath" but won't be able to post until Saturday morning (or possibly tomorrow evening).

I am happy to wait so no worries on my end!

21 hours ago, Vladim said:

If either of you would like to attempt it and believe that their PC has the narrative positioning to do it, please feel free to go ahead and make a post.

I'd rather let someone else do a vow, Yorick's current status has him a more passive character until circumstances change. So it's more appropriate I feel if either of you instead pledge the vow.

10 minutes ago, Delorphin said:

I'd rather let someone else do a vow, Yorick's current status has him a more passive character until circumstances change. So it's more appropriate I feel if either of you instead pledge the vow.

Cool cool. I'm good to let Ari if she wants it!

10 hours ago, Delorphin said:

Yorick's current status has him a more passive character until circumstances change.

I'd planned something similar for Ari--with her being something like a sidekick to Vigo. But with Vigo being less present in the narrative (whether for the short term or the long term), I introduced something that would push Ari to bold actions: seeing the people responsible for her mother's death sailing away in her ship.

So the Ari Vow I was thinking of would be something along the lines of "I will avenge my mother's death and take back Vahivala." Being new to the game, I'm ready for feedback or clarification about what good vows look like and how this one could be better.

Also what would the Malia's vow look like? Whichever Vow we chose, I realized as I wrote this that it would help me to see some examples of vows for our situation.

2 hours ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

I'd planned something similar for Ari--with her being something like a sidekick to Vigo. But with Vigo being less present in the narrative (whether for the short term or the long term), I introduced something that would push Ari to bold actions: seeing the people responsible for her mother's death sailing away in her ship.

So the Ari Vow I was thinking of would be something along the lines of "I will avenge my mother's death and take back Vahivala." Being new to the game, I'm ready for feedback or clarification about what good vows look like and how this one could be better.

Also what would the Malia's vow look like? Whichever Vow we chose, I realized as I wrote this that it would help me to see some examples of vows for our situation.

I am all for PCs being a bit more active since they're the protagonists, after all. And although PC-PC relationships are cool and interesting, experience has taught me that it's perhaps a bit dangerous to attach one's arc to another PC's. People ghost all the time, so that can complicate things a lot.

As for vows... Since we are swearing for inciting incident, it would be nice to have something that everyone aboard the ship (especially the PCs) have a shared stake in. I really like Ari's vow, but I am a little bit unsure of it being a bit too personal. I think it's great for him (her) to swear it but I am not sure how we'd frame it in the narrative that the other PCs would have a stake in it. At this point, I am not even sure if the other PCs are aware of his backstory.

As for Melia... I think she understands that the crew needs to work together to survive. She's suffering a crisis of faith of sorts, but I think she would totally try to take advantage of her position (as a former mystic / priestess) to encourage the crew to work together. So something like "I swear by the gods that I will return us to the safety of location X" might work? It could be a simple vow, perhaps Troublesome or Dangerous in rank, and could involve a few steps such as:

1. A Scene Challenge to survive the storm.
  2. One (or more) sea-voyages (journeys) to an island or more.
  3. A combat (if it arises).
  4. A social challenge (or scene challenge) to keep the crew and/or ships together, after the immediate danger has been resolved.
  5. Anything else we want to add.

The idea is to showcase different aspects of the system, as a kind of introduction and tutorial. And this inciting incident, if successfully fulfilled, could serve as a milestone in the bigger journey (the background vows), as it would be one (small) step closer to home.

But again-I am flexible. If Ari prefers to do his vow instead, I am good with that too.