Ironsworn Odyssey OOC

OK, I get it now. I suppose I was confused by the idea that one PC is swearing the vow, missing the idea that the vow structures the narrative for all the players, and should be meaningful/relevant to all of them.

So yes, I could see Ari swearing a similar vow (getting us through the storm to some location X) because of her Waterborn knowledge about the sea, but because there are older more experienced mariners (NPCs) onboard, it seems weird that she'd be the one to swear the vow.

Right?

So maybe Melia should be the one to swear the vow.

It could be a bit strange, but I don't know. There's probably ways to frame it in the narrative. For example: Ari has already given good counsel; perhaps the crew turns to look back towards the shore as one of the other ships (which has decided to head back) gets wrecked. This could cement confidence in Ari's competence and good counsel, making it plausible that he'd be the one (as an expert/waterborne) to lead them to safety.

So it's all part of the game, but choosing appropriate narrative framing can support these kinds of things.

That being said, I can have Melia do it too. I may not be able to today, though, so if you think you can beat me to it (and want to try it), please feel free!

22 hours ago, Vladim said:

That being said, I can have Melia do it too. I may not be able to today, though, so if you think you can beat me to it (and want to try it), please feel free!

I think I'll wait for you to have Melia post the vow. I'll watch and learn.

6 hours ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

I think I'll wait for you to have Melia post the vow. I'll watch and learn.

Sure. I added a post. If anyone wishes to carry the scene forward from here, please feel free!

Posted (edited)

My first attempt at the opening post positioned the narrative in the middle of the storm, with the PCs and NPCs fighting for survival. I decided to back it up a bit to the point at which they first saw the storm and had to make some decisions and deal with strife aboard the ship.

But I've still got the original opening post saved. If that would be a good point at which to advance the scene, I can do that with only a bit of editing. I could have it up tomorrow afternoon.

Thoughts? Yeas? Nays?

Edited by Wizard of the Coat (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

My first attempt at the opening post positioned the narrative in the middle of the storm, with the PCs and NPCs fighting for survival. I decided to back it up a bit to the point at which they first saw the storm and had to make some decisions and deal with strife aboard the ship.

But I've still got the original opening post saved. If that would be a good point at which to advance the scene, I can do that with only a bit of editing. I could have it up tomorrow afternoon.

Thoughts? Yeas? Nays?

I'm good with a storm scene! It would be exciting for me. Maybe we can use the scene challenge rules from the book?

4 hours ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

Thoughts? Yeas? Nays?

I think that's a great and natural way to continue forth with the narrative!

16 hours ago, Vladim said:

I'm good with a storm scene! It would be exciting for me. Maybe we can use the scene challenge rules from the book?

I looked over the rules. I really like them! But I'm not experienced enough to determine the initial parameters, so I'll leave that up to you guys.

Also, I wasn't sure if I should provide more questions for the second "scene." I'm happy to do so, if that's what we're doing.

10 hours ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

I looked over the rules. I really like them! But I'm not experienced enough to determine the initial parameters, so I'll leave that up to you guys.

Also, I wasn't sure if I should provide more questions for the second "scene." I'm happy to do so, if that's what we're doing.

This is a lengthy article (The statistics of Progress in Ironsworn scene challenges – PhophoSolo (home.blog)) but the TL; DR is the table here:

image.png.89577501bf9d03baa7327996bec7ab60.png

The numbers on the top are the modifiers of the stats being used-so higher chances of success if PCs manage to leverage their better (+3) stats.

I think I'd enjoy a bit of suspense / uncertainty of outcome, so I'd go for Formidable, but I am happy to go for a lower challenge rank (like Dangerous and Troublesome) if folks prefer. Basically, I'll go with the majority.

Extreme and Epic are way too masochistic so it's a no from me lol :)

I'll try to have an IC post up in a couple of days!

Edit: I think we can manage without 'questions' for now. Though I do like the 'questions' approach (it comes from Dungeon World / PbtA, right)? I am just less familiar with it because I have not played Dungeon World ever, but I think it works well and I do enjoy answering the questions or coming up with them! Especially for asynchronous PbP, as it gives me a bit of time to think!

Apologies for the delay. This is my busiest time of the year--end of semester grading. And I had some rules/procedure questions which meant that it was easier to post in other games (where I'm familiar with the rules). I didn't realize it's been, like, two weeks now.

So here's my question.

I think I want to do a "Face Danger" move, which would involve Ari (and the NPC) lowering the anchor to the right depth without falling overboard. Does that sound like a Face Danger move? Or is there some better way to express the move in relation to the narrative (the need to lower the anchor)?

3 hours ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

Apologies for the delay. This is my busiest time of the year--end of semester grading. And I had some rules/procedure questions which meant that it was easier to post in other games (where I'm familiar with the rules). I didn't realize it's been, like, two weeks now.

So here's my question.

I think I want to do a "Face Danger" move, which would involve Ari (and the NPC) lowering the anchor to the right depth without falling overboard. Does that sound like a Face Danger move? Or is there some better way to express the move in relation to the narrative (the need to lower the anchor)?

I think Face Danger would work well, yes!

But, I also think we lost @Delorphin; and @TheObsoleteMan never really posted anything in the story thread. I appreciate your willingness to continue, but I just don't have the energy to go through more recruitment, more ghosting etc.

I'm good to leave this here for me. Ironsworn can be played in solo mode too, so if you want to continue with just Ari, please feel free. And please feel free to use Melia as you wish-killing her off, handing her to a new player, whatever!

Even though it was a short game, I enjoyed it while it lasted, but I just don't have the resilience to keep pushing through. I hope you understand!

If anyone wants to take this game over please let me know; I'll talk to the admins and ask them to make them head GM. Otherwise, I'll move the gameto the Archive in about a week.