• Elven
    • Hallit

Inquisitor Archetype:

• Sanctified Slayer

Class, FEATS, AND TRAITS

Deity

Inquisition

Class Features

• Milani, Breaker of Chains, The Everbloom, Goddess of Hope and Freedom from Oppression
  • Clandestine: Disappear 1rnd/lvl, 3+WIS times/day
  • Monster Lore+WIS to Knowledge checks to identify monster weaknesses
  • Stern Gaze+Lvl/2 to Sense Motive and Intimidate
  • Studied TargetMove action. +1 to Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival against target. +1 to attack and damage. DCs of other abilities increase by 1. 1 target at a time, until target is dead or new target studied.

If dealing sneak attack damage, can study as immediate action and apply damage.

At levels 5/10/15/20 the bonuses increase by 1. At each interval the Slayer (Inquisitor) can maintain these against an additional target.

At level 7 Study Target can be used as a Swift action.
  • Spontaneous Divine Casting

Advancement Feats

Bonus Feats

Traits/Drawbacks

• Combat Reflexes

• Deft Dodger+1 to Reflex Saves
  • Trap Finder+1 to Disable Device, and DD is a class skill

Can use Disable Device to disarm magical traps.
  • Touched by Divinity1/day first domain spell.

Milani as chosen deity, Domain of Good, First spell is Protection from Evil.
  • Self-DoubtingThe first time each day failing a Will save or a skill check, take a -2 penalty of the next check of that kind.

Gareth Kindly - Inquisitor of Milani

Apathy and Apostasy

The man peered over the brim of his coffee cup as he took a sip, the older lady across the table looking around the chamber nervously. Perhaps the reputation of the inquisition preceded this room, but it had been some time since they had earned that reputation. Since the last of the oppressors had fallen before the noble revolution. A long, boring time. "You say you neighbor is a heretic ma'am?" his tone was dry and lifeless as old bone.

"Oh yes! Matilda Baghern is worshipping dark gods. I just know it! I've seen her head into the woods every Oathday, and taking offerings! Candles and wine and things."

He can't help but sigh. Just a small one, a little drop of his shoulders. This again. Busybodies and people going on picnics. Maybe some Green Faith worshiper. A worst, a tryst... "I see. Now you know this is a serious accusation? Do you have any evidence you'd like to submit?"

"Well, young Ms. Nell on the other side of her just had a baby born, and no husband, mind you. But everyone know what a good and proper girl she is." She gave him a conspiratorial look and dropped her voice to a whisper, "It has to be demon spawn. From Mattie's dark workings." She nods with confidence.

He rubs his forehead and closes his eyes, pausing to take a deep breath. And another sigh. "I'm sure ma'am. We'll-" He pauses and shakes his head, "we'll look into it. You can return to your home, and know nothing you said will go beyond these walls. Milani guide you to freedom."

As the old woman left the man put his face in his hands and looked to the ceiling for salvation. It had been so long since the revolution. "What are we even doing?" He says to the empty room. No answers come.

"I don't know, Jos... I trained hard for this. Liberating the oppressed, fighting evil! Slavers, tyrants, you name it." He takes a sip of ale from his mug. "But now I'm just stuck in this job. The higher-ups in the church give me scroll after scroll of paperwork like I'm some scribe. And I just give scroll after scroll to the next cleric down the line. Ever since the revolution we don't DO anything any more."

His friend finish his mead, "That sounds rough buddy. Listen, there's this maid over at the manor who said she'd be getting out for some fresh air about now, so..."

He nods, "It'd be wrong of me to keep you. Go on. I'll catch up with you later."

"...back then I had a real purpose, you know? Find those murderous nobles, hunt down turncoats and spies in the rebel cells. All good work of Milani. But now everything's fine. We're looking for ghosts in every corner, but nobody is trying to overthrow the rebellion. Would that even make sense?" he pauses, seemingly overtaken by the conundrum he stumbled on, "Anyway, I'm just not sure this is what I want to do anymore. I want to go somewhere I can actually help change things. Anything would be better than just wasting away like this." The donkey beside him continues munching on its oats contemplatively. A moment later a man walks out of the shop, "Hey! Are you gonna buy that donkey, or just talk at it?"

Back at his small office he heard things, often when others were gathered around the water barrel, rumors filtering through the network of agents working in the name of Milani. Corruption in Mendev, leaders, either cursed by demons or their own greed, taking advantage of their people. He'd heard of the Mendevian crusades, the demons pouring through from the Worldwound. There hadn't been a true call for a crusade in some time, but was that the work of demons, or simple human corruption all on its own? If there was one thing Gareth had learned, corruption always led to oppression, and oppression always preceded a revolution. This was just the type of task he was suited to.

"And then I put this little filly through her paces, let me tell you. I rode her all day, sweat down her flanks..." The chief inquisitor pointed proudly to the new portrait of his favorite horse he'd hung in his office as he rambled on. "Oh did you want something, Garret? Oh the Mendev thing? Yes, well we're sending Wellsley. He's just the man. Now keep up the good work with those reports."

There comes a time when the discontent changes its timbre. There's a palpable shift when fomenting emotions boil over into riotous uprising, and revolution begins. Before, Gareth had been a part of this. Now, it was a part of him. He was the oppressed, the downtrodden, the one living a life of servitude in desperate need of liberation.

Was he betraying Milani more by leaving his post, or by staying? He thought long on this, up in the hours of the night or during the long shifts at his desk, staring at papers that no longer held meaning to him. Holding his Order of the Rose on its iron chain, studying his copy of The Light of Hope. And it really didn't take that long to decide that staying was the greater betrayal. Staying was abandoning those in need. Staying was harming the innocent through inaction.

He'd always had a knack for sudden disappearance, a little from his ever-morphing face, and a little from his line of work back when the revolution was only a whisper in dark alleys and a murmur in smoke-filled basements. And so one day he simply disappeared, changing his cloak and his face and walking unseen out through the gates to the road leading north. His small quarters, usually rather bare with only his sparse belongings, were now completely emptied. He was taking action, confronting oppression, and overcoming his own despair to seize victory! Onward to Kenabres!

Or course, during a journey it's always wise to stop for a nice cup of strong coffee, so he finds himself at the Honeyed Blackmoor Café, sipping a dark roast and looking out across Warehouse square. His purse light, but his hopes high. Now where to begin his investigations of the Mendevian leadership?

Appearance and Personality

Gareth is a man who just wants to feel useful. He was born with a fire burning in him to dedicate his life's work to Milani. Ideals of freedom and liberty filled his thoughts and were his obsession, and he's trained extensively with this sect of Milani. He is a devoted member of the religion, but woefully underutilized until he makes this change. Moving forward he may grow a bit despondent when he feels his talents are wasted, but will be downright jovial when he's freeing people from oppressors and overthrowing despots. He's not great with people and rather self-conscious around others. He'll continue to question whether this was a good decision or not, and occasionally be filled with doubts.

He's a half-elf, but almost looks middle-aged before his time at the start of his story. By the end there's a new youth to him and an extra bounce in his step as he's found Purpose again. Sometimes his friends are sure he looks much more, well, 'elfy' than others. His ears are less pointed one day, or more pointed the next. His features solid and defined as a human's, or light and elegant as an elf's. It seems to vary day to day. The church didn't exactly pay well for his line of work, so beyond his clerical vestments he's only been issued an armored coat to protect himself. He wears an iron chain with Milani's rose motif strung across his chest, and a sadly deflated coinpurse at his hip. He carries a well-made morningstar on the other side of his rather unbalanced belt, and a fauchard in his hand, most of the time.

Tenets of Milani

Edicts: 

-Confront oppression in all its forms

-Defend the common folk

-Overcome despair to seize victory!

Anathema: 

-Abandon those in need

-Enslave or oppress others

-Harm the innocent through direct or inadvertent action

Mechanics and Role

Gareth will work great as a striker and secondary divine caster in the party, with some skill utility too. He'll be quite useful in combat with AoOs, teamwork feats, and sneak attacks, plus knowledge checks and decent spellcasting mixing utility with buffs. Mostly he'll focus on polearm combat and area control for his martial abilities, and Wisdom and Dexterity for his skills. I'm open to changing his Inquisition/Domain to better fill a gap in the party, like if a Face is needed the Conversion inquisition allows WIS to CHA skills, though I doubt that will be needed with several more CHA-friendly classes around. I used a trait to get disable device as a class skill and non-scaling trapfinding to add a little more utility, and there are some Slayer talents that can add to that later. He should be relatively Sneaky too, especially given his Inquisition. Overall he should be versatile and fun to play, always trying to be useful, but not dominant in any one area.

Edited by Kistler (see edit history)
Name
Wealth
4d6*10 2,3,6,1

Posted (edited)

Level Log

Level 1

Race: Half-Elf

Racial Abilities: Ancestral Arms (Fauchard), Flexible Half-Breed, Keen Senses, Elven immunities, Low-Light Vision

Deity: Milani

Alignment: CG

Class: Inquisitor (Sanctified Slayer)

FCB: +1HP

Level 1 Feat: Combat Reflexes

Traits: Deft Dodger, Trap Finder, Touched by Divinity (Good Domain)

Drawbacks: Self-Doubting

Skills: Disable Device, Knowledge (Planes), Knowledge (Religion), Perception, Sense Motive, Stealth

Background Skills: Linguistics, Sleight of Hand

Posted (edited)

Shopping Log

Starting Gear

Rolled Wealth: 120gp

Weapons: 37.1gp, 18.5lb
-Fauchard (14gp, 10lb)
-Dagger (2gp, 1lb)
-Cestus (5gp, 1lb)
-CI Morningstar (16gp, 6lb)
-Sling (0gp, 0lb)
-Bullets (0.1gp, 0.5lb)

Armor and Clothing: 50.2gp, 21lb
-Armored Coat (50gp, 20lb)
-Cleric Vestments (0gp, 0lb)
-Reversible Cloak (0.2gp, 1lb)

Gear: 26.93gp, 29.5lb
-Cat Burglar's Kithttps://www.aonprd.com/EquipmentMiscDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Cat burglar's kit

If this is considered cheese I can replace it. Just an impoverished Inquisitor over here!

Contains:
-Glass Cutter
-5x Glue paper
-Grappling Hook
-MW Backpack
-Slk Rope, 50'
(15gp, 12lb)
-Bedroll (0.1gp, 5lb)
-Belt Pouch (1gp, 0.5lb)
-Canteen (2gp, 1lb)
-Flint and Steel (1gp, 0lb)

-Grooming Kit (1gp, 1lb)
-Holy Symbol, Silver (0gp, 1lb)
-Mess Kit (0.2gp, 1lb)
-Sack (0.1gp, 0.5lb)
-Soap (0.01gp, 0.5lb)
-Spell Component Pouch (5gp, 2lb)
-Trail Rations (2.5gp, 5lb)
-Whetstone (0.02gp, 1lb)

Total: 115.23gp, 70lb / 116lb (Light)

Coin Remaining: 4.77gp

Posted (edited)
image.png.2a8fe28468cd3da1a0e65457648eb4ee.png

Gareth Kindly - Half-Elf Inquisitor 1

HP: 10/10 | AC: 16/12/14 | Speed: 20ft | Hero: 1/3 | Spells: 0 1 1 1 2

Initiative: +2 | Perception: +8 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +3 | Will: +4

Disappear: 5/5 | Studied Target: None

Consumables | Spells | Abilities | Skills | Attacks | Conditions: None

Gareth throws open the doors, shouting "Vive la revolution!"

OOC/Actions

Other:

Free:

Swift:

Move:

Standard:

Full Round:

Other:

Hands: Fauchard

Notes 

-

Gear - WIP

Worn

-Belt Pouch
-Reversible Cloak
-Holy Symbol

Weapons

-Cestus
-Dagger
-Morningstar
-Fauchard
-Sling

Containers

Backpack

-Bedroll
-
-Sack
-Silk Rope
-Soap
-5x Trail Rations
-Canteen

-Grooming Kit

Belt Pouch

-
-Flint and Steel
-
-Whetstone
-4.77gp

Good story. One minor point: the Fifth Crusade does not begin until after the campaign starts. It is debatable whether the Fourth Crusade never actually ever ended, as it kind of just fizzled to a slow halt really after 2 decades.

So the call could still be to join the crusade, but it's not a glorious trumpet of recruitment really, and nobody should really be the fool that it might be anything other than what it actually is.

Thanks! Reading more carefully I see right after the players' guide says:

The Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path begins with the launch of the Fifth Mendevian Crusade soon after a devastating attack on the Worldwound border by the demon armies.

It tells you that's the opening encounter, basically. I'll make an edit, and maybe have him be a bit more desperate to get out. "Anything is better than this! Even that pointless Crusade."

Name
Dice
100d20 1,20,8,6,3,8,7,1,6,8,1,16,16,17,6,1,12,1,19,2,17,7,19,17,10,20,18,1,10,10,14,10,10,4,11,1,20,6,19,17,12,19,18,15,10,11,14,9,12,5,10,15,12,6,17,12,17,4,3,13,17,20,15,5,5,4,8,2,12,10,17,15,13,13,13,14,4,2,15,11,17,1,5,4,12,11,14,20,11,11,4,17,11,11,15,4,11,8,14,7
More dice
1d20 14