SBT: Out of Character Discussions

Paro

Kaia Kealoha Kaia portrait

Kaia had been in front of the Pie for a few minutes before entering, making time for one last cigarette before dinner. She'd walked the whole way, nearly two miles, from the one hotel in town (the Deltaville Dockside Inn). The friend who had brought her to town had already moved on their way and the other that was meant to pick her up wouldn't be in for another couple of days. Even these minorly tough circumstances hadn't convinced Kaia to put a great deal of effort into anything, though. She'd walked those two miles in flip-flops, black-and-white checkered pajama bottoms, and a Stanford t-shirt she'd permanently borrowed from someone ages ago. Despite the utter lack of effort in dressing herself, she had at least bothered with makeup, albeit a fairly minimal routine, and her hair was just so, even if the style was intentionally messy. Even her least degree of caring included at least that much.

On the way over she'd dealt with an annoying amount of mosquitos, a random dog that somebody hadn't bothered to keep leashed, and a lot of people who weren't used to pedestrians. So by the time she made her way into the Pie, she was visibly annoyed, though the effect had been blunted somewhat by her third cigarette of the walk.

Stupid town. Stupid Xavier. Things would be a lot simpler if he'd just stayed a couple more days. Now I've got to walk my ass all this way just for a halfway decent meal. Don't know what these hayseeds eat most of the time, but this place is no dining destination. Couldn't even get a damn Uber Eats driver. Oh hey, that's that guy.

Kaia skipped the line to grab a takeout menu, then moved back to stand in line and plan her takeout order while she was waiting. She angled herself and held the menu in ways to avoid eye contact with...well, most anybody. But particularly London, who she had met at least once before. When her ears picked up talk of a police response, her eyes went to the TV for a minute or so, but it was just some silly teenage stunt.

Whatever. It's pepperoni time.

@NorthOfOrdinary, you appear to have the wrong impression of the restaurant. It is complimentary seating, thus no waiter or hostess is present. That is why there is a line to order food.

If you want to correct that, you can. Or if it was intentional to annoy the staff, I can have them provide a snarky reply. ;)

Just let me know which, please.

1 hour ago, Paro said:

@NorthOfOrdinary, you appear to have the wrong impression of the restaurant. It is complimentary seating, thus no waiter or hostess is present. That is why there is a line to order food.

If you want to correct that, you can. Or if it was intentional to annoy the staff, I can have them provide a snarky reply. ;)

Just let me know which, please.

That was unintentional but is also kind of hilarious in reading back, I'll leave it the same and the staff can give Madde a snarky reply. She earned it.

On 4/18/2024 at 5:20 AM, sxeBUDDHA said:

Suddenly, the door swings open, and in walks Jake and Ryan, two of London's closest friends from his time in the USMC. Jake, a former corporal known for his quick wit and infectious laughter, flashes London a wide grin as he strides over to the table. Ryan, a quiet but fiercely loyal sergeant, nods in greeting, his eyes betraying the depth of his concern for London's well-being.

As they exchange greetings and settle into their seats, London can't help but feel a sense of relief wash over him. In the company of his fellow Marines, he feels a sense of belonging and understanding that he hasn't experienced since his discharge from the service.

As they settle into their seats, Jake and Ryan waste no time in ordering drinks, the clink of glasses echoing through the bustling restaurant. With a chuckle, Jake turns to London and asks, "So when do you finally turn 21, buddy? It feels like you've been waiting forever."

Sorry, please edit out Jake and Ryan. NPCs belong to the GM at this time and you are all set up to start interacting with each other instead.

I thought I mentioned that any NPCs that you would have connections with are not arriving. They may never arrive, depends on whether I decide to use them to advance the plot. ;)

49 minutes ago, NorthOfOrdinary said:

@sxeBUDDHA Madde had attempted to speak with London in my last post, just wanted to check if that was missed or if he’s deliberately ignoring her before I write my next one. :)

My bad. I'm really poor at reading comprehension. I apologize, NorthOfOrdinary. I remember her making a dry remark. London is oblivious to humor in most social situations. I'll include some RP to slow react to Madde.

17 hours ago, sxeBUDDHA said:

@Paro There's a person from reddit inquiring if it's not too late to join as a player.

Sorry, I am pretty much capping my games at 5 players. 4 is normally ideal, but unfortunately there is always some attrition due to RL. But should there be a need for recruitment, they can try to stay in touch.

Bump.

Not sure what is taking so long for IC replies, but it is usually not a good start to a game when days go by with no IC posts.

I am hoping for a twice a week posting rate at least.

It is a sandbox style game, so I am trying not to railroad the plot too much, or at least be subtle about it when I do. Right now is the scene to at least get some initial interactions going on. The TV is providing some information about the setting that could provide talking points for strangers to discuss.

5 hours ago, Paro said:

Bump.

Not sure what is taking so long for IC replies, but it is usually not a good start to a game when days go by with no IC posts.

I am hoping for a twice a week posting rate at least.

It is a sandbox style game, so I am trying not to railroad the plot too much, or at least be subtle about it when I do. Right now is the scene to at least get some initial interactions going on. The TV is providing some information about the setting that could provide talking points for strangers to discuss.

I'm pushing London's limits for social interaction. I often want to play a pc with similarities to ASD/autism/functional Asperger's but have opted to refrain, since I don't professionally study it and don't want to offend anyone. London's reticular activating system filters things that he identifies with himself. He's athletic outdoorsy type and wouldn't cue from anything on television. His attention span is weak. So, he is less likely to initiate any conversation.

Some players may be waiting on more exposition from ST/GM to progress the story. BUT now it is evident with OOC message, players can begin entering more RP.

TBH, my 4 other PbP games are slow af. The TWDU RPG PbP hasn't past session 0 which started before this game. I pay for 1 PbP, and we post daily albeit I'm the only player remaining. My Buffy the Vampire Slayer game is almost 2 years, and we just got to our first boss encounter. (This campaign is equivalent of 3 live sessions over the course of the PbP campaign.

14 hours ago, sxeBUDDHA said:

@Paro I didn't know if it was your intention. But there are two Indigenous American tribe reservations in Deltaville Virginia surrounding area. That's way cool if it's coincidence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Peninsula

I had not known. I picked the location beforehand.