Doctor Creed - Human Gun Chemist

Eborne1

IMG_08022022_164046_(225_x_400_pixel).png.d2b9af223eb4d4105be2c31135bfbb27.pngDr. Walthorn Creed

Alchemist (Gun Chemist & Chirurgeon)

Primary Roles: Ranged Marksman & Blaster

Secondary Roles: Healer, Utility Caster, Party Face

Appearance

Tall, dark complected and dignified in appearance. He has a well kempt moustache and noteworthy chops on an otherwise cleanly shaved face. Many years of professional life in a major city has the doctor dressing routinely in modern, urban clothing. He has lines of worry and stress around dark eyes, but also laugh lines, too, from a time when life was better.

Personality
The doctor is a man of professional mannerisms, discipline and rational reasoning. He is well-spoken from many years of lecturing at the Academie in Almas. He believes in honesty, courtesy and rightful justice. He is highly motivated, very intelligent and has an aggresively unyielding side to him that he's only just come to discover in recent years. Since awakening in the Asylum, with almost no memory at all, the doctor appears to have taken on a more courageous persona.

Background
Dr. Walthorn Creed was a tenured professor and loving husband and father, who was living an ideal life in the city of Almas of Andoran, before horror struck two years ago when his seven year old daughter was brutally slain by an infamous serial killer.

The killer slipped through the hands of the law and fled the country and needless to say, Dr. Creed and his wife were ruined by the tragedy. The doctor suffered terrible guilt over the matter and ultimately came to the conclusion that he could no longer continue living, knowing his daughter's killer was still alive and free. So he decided he would take justice into his own hands, or die trying.

He quit his job at the Academie and left his wife and home, traveling North in the direction of his daughter's killer. He devoted himself full-time to tracking down the killer, with an intent towards vengeance, despite being neither ranger nor warrior himself.

But with the help of a keen and perceptive mind, as well as extensive knowledge of chemistry and alchemy, he made progress. And finally, after two, long years and after having grown nearly penniless, the doctor tracked the killer, known only as 'The Monster of Andoran' to the City of Xer, on the banks of Lake Encarthan.

Last Words 

Dr. Creed stood at the window of his room at the Lord's Light Inn and gazed out upon a bleak and sunless day. From a breast pocket in his tailored vest, he withdrew an engraved, silver pocket watch and checked the time again... 30 minutes.

He moved around to the writing desk that was the only other piece of furniture besides a narrow bed in the cold, stark room. On the desk, beside a burning, red candle lay, waiting, a single sheet of blank paper as well as a feathered quill, extending out from a small, stone vial of ink. The doctor sat down, took up the quill and began writing:

Dearest Madeleine love and warmth of my heart

It has been three months since last
I found the will to put ink to paper,
but I think of you at every waking moment.

I write from Xer, on the banks
of Lake Encarthan and I must say
that it is not so grand as I
recall from my youth. But do forgive me
my ramblings.

I wish I could say that I am triumphant
and returning to you with all haste,
but alas, I cannot, for my nemesis has fled to Ustalav.

But please know I swear to you that
I shall not rest until I have filled the
emptiness in my heart, where our sweet
daughter once played, but where
now only guilt and vengeance dwells.

The doctor paused as tears blurred his vision. He reached into his inner coat pocket for his handkerchief but began shaking and fumbling the white cloth. Then his sadness turned to anger and he buckled over in pain. He slammed a fist down hard against the old wooden desk and let go an anguished cry that resounded in the empty room.

A stern knock came upon the door, and a voice. "Everything okay in there Doctor?!" someone called.

"Fine!" the doctor gathered himself up enough to reply. "...I'm fine."

"Razmir guide you, my son" came a solemn response followed by receding footsteps.

The doctor decided he would be glad to be leaving Xer.

After another minute, Dr. Creed retrieved his composure along with the quill from the floor beneath his chair.

He continued writing...

I have booked passage for Caliphas of Ustalav,
from where comes word of my enemy,
and should my courage not fail me,
hopefully, too, my redemption.

Please know that I will understand,
if you should lose the will to await my return,
if yet you have not already, for it is true
that I have been away longer than you deserve
and too that I know not towards what peril my
path now leads, except for the undeniable
truth that I hunt a monster.

I promise to write again soon, once
this dreaded business is behind us forever.

Know that my love for you and our daughter
has never waned and you are always in my heart.

Love now and always,

Walt

The professor bowed his head and squeezed his eyes closed as if hoping to close out the terrible and frightening reality into which he was now plunging and had to remind himself again that it was not murder he sought, but justice.

Suddenly a muted wharf bell sounded out through the marina fog, beyond the walls of the inn. The doctor blinked open his eyes and set aside the feathered quill to check his pocket watch again.

10 minutes…

Quickly, but with a measured hand, the doctor folded the paper thrice and wrote, upon the top fold, in a flowing script,

Madeleine Creed of Almas

He then dripped red candle wax at the edge of the top fold and pressed his seal into it and tucked the letter away into his coat pocket.

He stood and donned his overcoat and scarf, expecting hard weather aboard the ship, and beyond. Then he gathered up his belongings that stood neatly ready by the door; a large doctor's bag from which came the sound of clinking glass, and a well-polished long-musket with the words 'Delilah's Vengeance' engraved into the stock.

"To my fate's end," he uttered with all the boldness he could manage and then hurried out the door and toward the docks.

One Month Later

The doctor awoke violently and shot up from the cold stone floor of a dark and wretched asylum, breathing deep, panicked breaths.

His eyes darted about the room at the other sorry denizens of the place. He felt the overwhelming urge to fight… or run… but he had no memory of why, or even who he was.
He felt panic rising.

Where was he?!

How did he get there?!!

He scoured his memory and prodded his mind for ANYTHING... but nothing came to him.

Then, suddenly, vivid and terrible images of grotesque and otherworldly things struck his mind like a hammer and dropped the doctor to a knee in horror.

He gasped and knew it was real and that he was seeing bits of recent memory and along with those memories a dire warning of a very real and immediate danger.

His mind nearly buckled in fear.

But then some hint of another memory came to him that gave him the makings of a poise.
A mantra flowed into his mind like poured steel and it caused him to grow firm and focused.
Suddenly he had a terrible resolve, for he'd remembered something; one simple thing about who he was… and he was deathly sure of it.

He was a monster hunter!

Edited by Eborne1 (see edit history)