Alms and Prayers (Keeper Sidethread)

Catrico was not a massive city, nor was it a poor one. Capital of a well-off county and situated on Queyol Lake, with boats regularly coming in and out with goods bound for points elsewhere in Pellia, the city did not have a massive impoverished underclass.

But it did have one. There was a small slum, a run down collection of poorly maintained buildings, narrow streets that were really just glorified alleys, and the poorest of citizens. It wasn't situated on the docks, but it was situated next to them. The Countess did provide alms to the people of the slums, but the only regular form of it was in the form of a midday meal of soup and brown bread, distributed just at the edge of the slum where it met the docks. She, and other elites, would occasionally delivery other largess, especially during holy days and festivals, either in the form of more food, or the handing out of money or other gifts, and she put more work into helping the poorest citizens of her city than some did, but...

A slum was a slum.

Keeper could at least make his start with the people of the slum there, the service of the midday meal was always understaffed, and so the lines long, with the guards always refusing to actually help.

Massive cauldrons set up, filled with a common vegetable soup that, while not hearty, was at least not thin, and salted pork - the pork of course had to be boiled first to lose the salt. There wasn't enough meat relative to the amount of soup, but it was, again, better than it could have been, better than in some cases Keeper had seen.

There was a line of poor people gathered out to get what the could, bowls or cups to hand, the bread made from coarse grain, but at least there was plenty of it. From what one of the others here helping to pass out the food told him, many of the residents saved the bread and had it as part of their dinner in the evening, or breakfast on the morrow, rather than eat it with the soup.

The people who lined up for the free meal were children, cripples, the infirm and widows, as well as those who did have work close enough to their homes in the slums to come here. The occupants of the slums were day-laborers, largely, people who would try to get work unloading ships or any other task that needed manpower quickly, but couldn't always be regularly in uniform demand - ships came in and out everyday, but how many, at what rate? It varied.

1432391528_KeeperAnam-Token.png.3ca6574cd64c61d038c1e48d7d8b0612.png~ Keeper Anam, Wandering Ascetic ~

Keeper takes his time, ambling through the city, experiencing all the sights, sounds, and smells for what they are. Whether through luck or a divine nudge, Keeper finds himself in the slums of Catrico. He arrives at noon time, just for the daily dispensation of the midday meal.

One of the few staffers mistakes Keeper for one of the poor, and Keeper lightly chuckles and smiles. "Oh no, none for me, thank you. I could help serve though, if you'd let me."

Assuming that they do in fact let him participate in helping, Keeper dutifully does so for the remaining part of the hour. As he works, he studies the faces and mannerisms of the poor, taking them into his heart. He works as quietly, and as quickly as his aged frame can manage.

Once the soup and bread run out, he excuses himself and finds a quiet and lonesome spot to pray. Several hours pass as the sun traverses the sky. He returns to the most crowded area of the slums, and looks to find whoever he deems to be the most sick, hurt, or diseased. Who does he find?

OOC: Pray for spells

Stats

Character: Sheet, Thread

HP: 67/84

Hands: staff

Initiative: +3
Perception: +14

AC: 26
Flat: 21
Touch: 22

CMD: 29
FCMD: 24
+2 disarm
+2 grapple
+2 trip

Fort: +13
Reflex: +8
Will: +17

Spell Resist: +13 Evil Outsiders

The first person he sees that looks pretty bad is an old man, not quite emaciated, but definitely thin, watching two children play - the children, maybe each seven to ten in years - are tossing small stones back and forth at each other, giggling if one of them fails to catch the stone and it hits them, though they seem to be observing rules about not aiming for the face. The old man seems to be keeping an eye on them, but he has to look away every now and then when a hacking cough overtakes him. His clothes are repeatedly patched and repaired, but as well cared for as they can be in this place.

He covers his mouth with a cloth when he coughs, and it sounds like he's hacking up phlegm.

1432391528_KeeperAnam-Token.png.3ca6574cd64c61d038c1e48d7d8b0612.png~ Keeper Anam, Wandering Ascetic ~

Keeper slowly approaches the old man. "Hello, old-timer." Keeper smiles and chuckles. "Are those your grandchildren?"

OOC: Pray for spells

Stats

+2 disarm
+2 grapple
+2 trip

"Aye," He said after a moment to recapture his breathing. "Tinnar and Gostra." He gestured to them in turn. Gostra was slightly shorter and had dirty blonde hair to their sibling's brown. "Their mother works during the day, and I keep an eye on them as best I can." he smiled, "Hard to keep up with the rascals, but I wouldn't trade their energy for anything in the world." he sounded every inch the proud grandfather, despite his clear infirmities.

Keeper makes a point of making sure that the elder man notices that Keeper noticed his unbearable cough. "Are you well? I could perhaps help with that, if you'd let me."

OOC: None

Stats

+2 disarm
+2 grapple
+2 trip

"I have consumption, or at least that's what Hoarus says. He was an apothecary's apprentice for a few years, before he got conscripted into the last war, way back when, lost an arm and a leg. Can't afford much medicine, not with everything else that needs money... and as for a temple - they heal who they can, but there's always lines... and a donation to the temple lets you jump the line anyway." He shrugged, "But even in the lines, there's people younger than me, a whole life ahead of them."

As he spoke, he was interrupted a few times by coughing fits.

"I...I wouldn't say no to help, if you're kind enough to provide it, but I can't offer anything for it."

OOC

I tried to write him with a sort of poor peasanty-accent, but I couldn't make it work, so just imagine him not fully pronouncing all the words and stuff, though he's still comprehensible.

Also, I've always had mixed feelings about healing/cure disease spells costing money even from the clerics of good gods, and I know spellcasting cost is a balance factor for players, so my interpretation is that people who need magic from priests can basically line up outside the temples of good gods to try and get what they need for free - the clerics get the spells everyday, after all - but people who can pay can often jump the line, though I imagine a certain amount of triage happens in well-run temples. This would be a phenomenon that Keeper is familiar with.

Keeper grabs the man’s hands in his own and closes his eyes then starts to pray…

“ የፈውስ ፍላጎቴን እንዲወስድልኝ እጠይቀዋለሁ
እና የማውቃቸውን ሁሉ
ወደ ጸጋህ ዙፋን አንሳ
እና የመልሶ ማግኛ ስጦታን መልሰን አቅርብልን.

አቤቱ እርዳን
የሊቀ መላእክትን እውነታ በበለጠ ለመረዳት
እና እኛን ለማገልገል ያላቸውን ፍላጎት.
ቅዱሳን መላእክት፣
ጸልዩልን።
ኣሜን።”

OOC: Remove Disease

Stats

HP: 84/84

+2 disarm
+2 grapple
+2 trip

Name
Caster Level Check
1d20+9 4

Mechanics

Technically that looks to be lower than the DC for tuberculosis - which is what he has - but given that this is just a side thing, I think we can say that Keeper is weakening the disease enough for his immune system to do the rest. Feels kinda weird that you need a caster level check for an ordinary, normal disease, tbh.

The magic flows from Keeper into the old man, concentrating on his chest. Keeper feels like he hasn't quite cleared up all of the illness in the man, but as he finishes the spell, the old man stands up straighter than he had before, and he breathes in deep.

"I - I can breathe!" He said, exclaimed, hand on his chest. "It still hurts, a little, but I -" He took another breath. "I - thank you, priest. Thank you!" He grasped Keeper's hand in his. "I - I wish I could - there's nothing I can do to repay you!" He said grateful, awed. "May I have your name, so I know who to include in my own prayers of thanks?"

Keeper grins into a big smile and let's out a sizable laugh. "Ha! I am no priest, but the grace of the Lord has saved thee! Now... I used to be known as Anam, but I suppose nowadays most people just call me Keeper."

He looks back upon the rascals running around. "Every day you get to spend with your grandchildren is a miracle until itself. If you would though, don't share what has transpired today with anyone. That is all that I ask in thanks."

OOC: none

Stats

+2 disarm
+2 grapple
+2 trip

Edited by FrancisJohn (see edit history)

"Of course, your holi- Keeper," he corrected mid-word, giving Keeper a bow, probably out of reflex. "I will treasure all the time with my grandchildren you have given me, and I will keep your gift a secret."

There was still a whole slum to look into - Keeper found no trouble finding people who had injures that a cure spell could handle, people who might take days or weeks to recover. Illness was not rampant, but there were people who could use aid in that - removal of the disease entirely, or even just restoration of some of what it took from them.

More than that, though, people in the slum needed hope. To know someone cared about them. A comforting word, an open ear. And if Keeper made himself open to that, there were many spirits he could lift.

Keeper chuckles at the man. "I may be empowered by the holy grace of the Lord above, but I am no clergy. I am just doing my best to align the actions and will of my body to those of His own." Keeper takes the old man by the hand. "Have a blessed day, friend."

Keeper takes leave to wander around the slums anew, looking for someone else who he could provide aid to...

OOC: We can roleplay each individual scene as much or as little as you want. I'd be fine doing that, or coming up with more general summative posts, or waiting for the others would be ok too. 🙂

Stats

+2 disarm
+2 grapple
+2 trip

Edited by FrancisJohn (see edit history)

Keeper is able to find several more people that he can help with his magic - a young man with a broken arm in a sling who can't work until it recovers (a simple cure spell tidies that up) another sick person with an illness that he is able to treat, and many with minor scrapes and injures - children especially had quite a few he was able to treat, sparing them pain or a few days recovery. Nothing too severe.

And above all, his ear, and the prospect of someone caring. He hears from people who lost family in war, people who simply have never had the luck of others, one disaster to another keeping them and their families in the slum. Others more recently hard on their luck. Bastards of minor nobility or wealthy merchants often find themselves here, if their parents (or their parents actual spouses) are spiteful or cruel enough to block off better opportunities.

But he also gets shared the positive moments, the families that live here, eking out the joy where they can. A young man confides in Keeper that he was lucky enough to be able to get enough day labor jobs in recent months to save up enough to purchase an apprenticeship with a cooper who was willing to teach him. An older woman who was at least able to get her recently married daughter (and daughter-in-law) a small home for them to share in a better part of town, with the help from an old family friend who recently inherited money - forgoing getting out of the slums herself to make sure her daughter would have a small nest egg.

The people of the slums were, in other words, people, and not merely victims, and Keeper gave them all a chance to remind themselves of that, and that someone was there who cared to listen and hear them.

It was, for many, a rare gift.