Player Ice Breakers

tuxagon

Separate from the Hunter creation, I thought it'd be fun to also include some ice breaker-ish questions somewhat related to Monster of the Week. It's optional to answer these, but it'd be helpful for me to get a sense of your interests around this genre.

1. Do you have a favorite Monster of the Week style show or episode?
  2. Do you have a favorite monster or mythological creature?
  3. What’s your experience with Monster of the Week (or PbtA) games?
  4. What do you expect from the game?

I'll go first

Do you have a favorite Monster of the Week style show or episode?

I am somewhat partial to Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Doctor Who primarily. I also enjoyed Fringe quite a bit.

Do you have a favorite monster or mythological creature?

This is a hard one because there are so many great ones. I have found many creatures that revolve around intelligent undeath to be particularly fascinating. Whether they're raising dead or they're undead themselves, like a vampire.

As an addendum to the question, I also find the idea of a contract with a demon to be an interesting concept to work around.

What’s your experience with Monster of the Week (or PbtA) games?

I've ran some in-person games and have been enthralled by the system in general because of the simplicity of Mystery creation.

What do you expect from the game?

I want to tell a great story with you and keep you on your toes narratively.

Edited by tuxagon (see edit history)

Howdy!

I loved Buffy and Angel as a young adult, and was a big fan of Russel T. Davies' Doctor Who stuff. (We absolutely don't need to get into Moffat, but if you've ever wanted to hear someone angrily rant about "The Angels Take Manhattan" for three hours, hit me up.) I've also enjoyed what little I've seen of Supernatural.

The Wendigo. I love thinking about how vast and intimidating North America must have been before we laid rail lines and paved roads, and the challenges people must have faced for thousands of years to carve out places in it. And the Wendigo is sort of this elemental force of hunger and desperation, preying on victims lost in this vast wilderness, struggling to survive, intermingling the very real struggle to survive in harsh conditions with this supernatural evil that warps your mind, convinces you to forsake bonds of friendship and family to just feed, to satiate a hunger that can never truly be satisfied...

I haven't played Monster of the Week, but I have a little experience playing World Wide Wrestling and Urban Shadows.

Just a chance to take part in a fun, interesting story. And maybe a heroic sacrifice or two. (Followed by a return the next season because the series got renewed at the last minute.)

While I work up my Spell-Slinger (or is it a Flake? Or maybe an Initiate?) app I figure I'll go ahead and add my thoughts to this thread.

For me, Supernatural seasons 1-5 nails this genre the best. I was a huge fan of Hunter: the Reckoning and the whole idea of the underdog facing challenges well above their paygrade because 'they have to'. I did enjoy the early seasons of Buffy and Charmed but fell off those when I did some travelling and never got back to them. 

I blame an old d&d module for this one, but I've been fascinated by the idea of the Penanggalan since I first encountered it. What a horrific image a floating head with its guts dangling out of the neck is. And the focus on birthing blood and children is just haunting.

I've played a lot of PbtA as I find the games frequently emulate their chosen genres expertly. Monster of the Week has eluded me, though, and I've only had the pleasure of a couple of one-shot games of it. Looking forward to changing that.

I really dig the reality show element of this proposal. I watched a lot of Ghost Hunters back in the day and I am tickled by the idea of the 'real' hidden among the sensationalism. I'd love to see some close calls, some investigations with red herrings and some interpersonal drama where I can gossip to the cameras about the other hunters.

Hello there, everyone! Hoping to play as a Professional :3

Probably Buffy, though I haven't watched many shows in the style of the game 😅

Probably the false hydra - a monster that can wipe itself from your memory and kill you with a glance is very cool to me, and I love monsters you can't just attack head on.

I've been in two campaigns (both fizzled out due to RL responsibilities) and I've also ran one (also fizzled out due to RL responsibilities). Also played Masks.

A fun, tense story of a group of hunters out to kick some ass and slay some monsters. Dramatic moments and tense situations would also be cool.

Hello!  I was thinking about a Spooky, but decided to apply with a Mundane.  We need more Charm!

Not really.  I used to like The X-Files, although now I mostly watch things on Netflix.  The Umbrella Academy, Locke & Key, Santa Clarita Diet come to mind, not really Monster of the Week, but more paranormal comedy/drama stuff.

Hm.  I like shapeshifting things, like Skinwalkers.  Some Creepypasta stuff.  Trolls, for some reason.

I have played a couple of PbtA games, but no Monster of the Week.  The games haven't ever really lasted all that long, but they have always been fun.

Just a good time, I guess.  I don't know what specifically I would expect, except lots of chances to run out and look awesome killing things, or getting beaten up and kidnapped and falling into horror movie tropes and such.  What I like about PbtA is that it has more of the opportunity to fail in interesting ways, driving the story forward, while also letting the characters do amazing things and shine.

1. Do you have a favorite Monster of the Week style show or episode: supernatural
  2. Do you have a favorite monster or mythological creature: i like the wendigo. just think of a cannibalistic horror hunting you and eating your heart
  3. What’s your experience with Monster of the Week (or PbtA) games? i have run several pbta games
  4. What do you expect from the game: i want combat, and investigation, but more combat than investigaton