Jack Colson, the Monstrous

Kavonde

Backstory

Jack Colson died a few months ago. Fortunately, he hasn't let that stop him.

In life, Jack was a cameraman for a reality TV "monster hunter" show who got himself killed in his dedication to getting a great shot. (To be fair, it was pretty amazing.) However, the dark magics and supernatural horrors Jack had been exposed to in the course of his work were still swirling around him, and he gave his friends, family, and coworkers quite a shock when he smashed through the roof of his coffin, sat up, and asked if anyone had a cheeseburger. Jack Colson had become one of the undead, an unholy abomination driven by the blackest of sorcery and an insatiable lust for... fast food.

While Jack's personality remained mostly intact, his life did not. Legally (and medically) speaking, he is very definitely deceased. This has made reclaiming his Social Security Number difficult, which has compounded into myriad other problems. He can't currently hold legal employment, his apartment was rented out from under him, his life insurance is demanding reimbursement for the amount paid out (plus interest), and his boyfriend (now ex-boyfriend) frankly just could not deal with the whole situation.

Fortunately, Jack's connections in the monster hunting community have allowed him a new opportunity. Sure, he can't officially make any money off the arrangement right now, but at least he has a van to sleep in. And sure, he can't afford the greasy junk food he so desperately craves, but you'd be amazed how much stuff McDonald's just chucks in the dumpster. Things could be worse!

Description
  • Man
  • Unnerving aura
  • Casual clothes

Jack Colson is tall, about 6'2", with broad shoulders and a sizeable paunch. His features, round and full in life, have become drawn and gaunt. His blue eyes have turned a sort of sewage green, and the whites of his eyes could be more accurately described as yellows. He has a thick beard and short, brown hair, clipped on the sides. He typically wears open Hawaiian-print shirts over solid-color T-shirts, denim shorts, and comfortable sneakers. His skin, light in life, is now gray and corpse-like; he veins have turned brownish, filled as they are with rotting blood.

Playbook Options

Ratings: Charm -1, Cool -1, Sharp 0, Tough +2, Weird +3

Curse: Pure Drive - One emotion rules you. Pick from: hunger, hate, anger, fear, jealousy, greed, joy, pride, envy, lust, or cruelty. Whenever you have a chance to indulge that emotion, you must do so immediately, or act under pressure to resist. 

Natural Attack:

• Base: Teeth (3-harm, intimate)
  • Extra: Add ignore-armour to a base.

Monstrous Moves:

• Immortal: You do not age or sicken, and whenever you suffer harm you suffer 1-harm less.
  • Unholy Strength: Roll +Weird instead of +Tough when you kick some ass.

Edited by Kavonde
Format fixin'. (see edit history)

Looks good! I have two things before this is officially complete

1. Are you forgoing a Gear choice to initially start with?
  2. Is your Hunger from the Pure Drive to fast food? If so, then I want to mention that while there isn't anything technically wrong with Jack having the ability to eat fast food, I think the Hunger should be something more monstrous to fit in with the theme. In the event that something causes the Hunger to require an Act Under Pressure roll, the consequence of a failure should be something worse than fast food. If the Hunger isn't fast food and that's just a funny flavor to the character, what is the Hunger from Pure Drive?
    1. Some suggestions as alternatives from the book include brains or flesh, but it can be something else; it just needs to fit in with the monstrous part of the theme.
Edited by tuxagon (see edit history)

1) Oh, yes, sorry. I should have specified that.

2) Gotcha.

Waspinator has plans...

My idea here is that the fast food craving is sort of the first step on a bad road. The actual monstrous craving is for flesh--eventually, speficially human flesh. As time goes on, Jack's going to find the hunger harder and harder to satisfy. Right now, Jack can satisfy his hunger with dumpster McNuggets... but that won't always be the case.

Okay, that's good to know now. I just wanted to clarify that there was a more monstrous Hunger than fast food. It being a journey to discovery is okay. I'm imagining that the fast food craving is a current interpretation of his new existence, then, and that until he realizes what his body is actually craving, he won't know there is a deeper satisfaction possible.