The Caravan

Nerian

spacer.pngTaunus, Goblin Ranger

Taunus levels a appraising gaze at the half-orc, ruby red eyes raking over their outfit as if assessing how best to categorise them. Their lack of obeisance earns enough points for Taunus to rule in their favour apparently, and the goblin chips in "None taken, almost all the best people I know are woods dwelling berry eaters." He pauses, then continues deadpan "The rest are obviously cave dwelling boar peepers."

"As to the plan," he offers an exaggerated shrug, "as long as the colour of their money is true it seems a reasonable enough suggestion. Need iron to fix the village wall."

He squints into the night, one crooked tooth denting his lower lip. "Not sure how we'll catch them though - caravan is pretty slow. If anyone can hazard a guess on where they're headed I might be able to find a shortcut through the woods but I'll have to negotiate cutting the contract with the caravan short. We're close enough to Yuvia it might not be a problem." It's probably to most he's spoken in one go for the past few days.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, rorytheromulan said:

OOC

Intelligence2d10 7,1 8

You can't remember much about Aurelia. It is common knowledge they are a peaceful people.

As far as which direction the Bandits were heading, it was not towards Yuvia, it was in the direction of the country of Aurelia

Edited by Nerian (see edit history)

arie-hong-leo-as2token.jpg.109c8497f003db8236cd61fb80ee1a54.jpg

Alfrid Dannen

Alfrid gives Horarth a nod and begins to cool off.

"The promise of a reward should be enough to get some volunteers anywhere between here and our destination. That is certainly what the Prince's entourage must be thinking right now. And if they like the look of us, they may even provide us means for equipping ourselves to run down the abductors." Alfrid scans the faces of the caravan as it starts moving again. "But who was he last seen with, anyway?"

OOC

Fairy.jpg.950d54214eca74013ceea4278217bc03.jpgEllie Fae Pixie Wanderer

Ellie can't seem to get to sleep, so she flies back down where the conversation seems to be happening. At the Orc's suggestion, and the goblin's agreement, she shakes her head in disbelief. "Really? I kind of expect it from him," she comments, pointing somewhat unflatteringly at Alfrid, "But you two are considering running down a group of well-armed knights, who never really did you any wrong, to, what, save a prince poor enough that he can't afford guards from some political shenanigans you don't really understand?" She shakes her head again, just to make sure the message gets through.

"And I thought I just stumbled out of the meadow yesterday. You guys are something else."

OOC

Nothing to see here.

Horarth.jpg.ed178969cb539bdec4e0e75e6044f3d7.jpgHorarth Augustfield

Horarth starts to raise a hand to protest but thinks better of it. "Half-pint has a point. But even if this prince is down on his luck, his title holds weight. Helping out a prince opens doors—influence," he leans in towards the pixie, his lips curling smugly around his tusks, "connections. Plus for all we know that guy's loaded, just didn't think he needed a full security detail. Might as well ask. Speaking of which..." he stares off in the direction of the riders, "Aurelian knights... something smells fishy about this whole affair."

"...But you're right, let's not get ahead of ourselves. It may be best we continue on to Yuvia, ask around to see what people know of this Aldenar fellow. And if it's that tooled-up cavalry you're worried about, Yuvia's the place to find backup," he mutters, eyes darting toward the horizon. "Or poison..."

Alfrid Dannen

"Blood of the Martyrs, Horath. We only wish to help His Highness, and our sentiment is being censured left and right. Miss, weren't you about to give yourself up? It was very gutsy to risk your life on his behalf. I'm glad that they didn't take you, but why did you do it?"

OOC

Fairy.jpg.950d54214eca74013ceea4278217bc03.jpgEllie Fae Pixie Wanderer

Ellie smiles. “I am a pixie. I can fly, disappear, charm mortal minds, do whatever I want. I wasn’t in danger if I left with them, and I had the motivation to get them to leave before they slowed down the caravan too much. Besides, I don’t always make the best decisions.” Her words sound like the tinkling of a bell, the laughter of a brook.

OOC

Nothing to see here.

Some of the people who were near the prince before he gave himself up are looking at a piece of cloth that the man apparently ripped off before being conked in the head. Ya'll hear them talking about the cloth definitely being from Aurelia. They are also berating themselves for not doing something when the prince gave himself up.

They are also praising the prince for being just and kind. Sounds like they are making plans to bring the cloth to the King.

spacer.pngMAKIAL LATHERON

Some of the oddest members of the caravan were talking about helping the Prince and earning favor, but that didn't sit too well with Makial. The young monk had other motivations, and needed more than that.

Since some of the Prince's retinue had started to reveal themselves, he turned toward them, and asked bluntly "Why was the Prince traveling without revealing himself ? What do you think will befall him now ?"

If he had been captured by Knights, he would probably be held hostage, and ransomed. But not tortured or otherwise killed. Makial was mostly unconcerned by politics at large, so unless the Prince was a good man in bad hands, it was all just mostly the same to him. He knew he should probably be more concerned, being a citizen of the Celestrial Empire, but he was still mostly undecided. And it is not like Aurelia had a bad repute either way...

On the other hand, it could be a good test of his skills in a real life situation, and the occasion to earn favors that could help later for his training...

Taunus shrugs an answer to the pixie, "Like I told buttercup, I don't care for those political whatsimabobs but the village is in dire need of iron, and that takes coin." He flicks a bug from his skin. "Though I'm not doing it for 'connections', that's sure."

He gazes in the direction the horses left. "If you're wanting to go the trail will be at its warmest now. Otherwise it'll probably be up to the King what he does, and I doubt it will be so quiet."

22 hours ago, Thot said:

Some of the oddest members of the caravan were talking about helping the Prince and earning favor, but that didn't sit too well with Makial. The young monk had other motivations, and needed more than that.

Since some of the Prince's retinue had started to reveal themselves, he turned toward them, and asked bluntly "Why was the Prince traveling without revealing himself ? What do you think will befall him now ?"

If he had been captured by Knights, he would probably be held hostage, and ransomed. But not tortured or otherwise killed. Makial was mostly unconcerned by politics at large, so unless the Prince was a good man in bad hands, it was all just mostly the same to him. He knew he should probably be more concerned, being a citizen of the Celestrial Empire, but he was still mostly undecided. And it is not like Aurelia had a bad repute either way...

On the other hand, it could be a good test of his skills in a real life situation, and the occasion to earn favors that could help later for his training...

One man who looks to be braver than the rest, "The prince likes to travel among his people without revealing himself to see how they act, and to make sure his people are genuinely happy. I suspect he won't be able to do such now. I don't know what will befall him, I hope the King can find out where they have gone and rescue him. I've heard Auriel was a peaceful nation, I can surmise I heard incorrect."

Alfrid Dannen

The fae's laugh and her carefree attitude pick Alfrid right back up.

"Perhaps this would be best left to His Majesty to sort out. Please forgive me for yelling at the armed blackguards that came upon us. It was pretty foolish. I see that now. But if we are going to offer our swords to help with this dilemma, we had better become better acquainted, had we not? I already gave my name, and I know Horarth here - Horarth Augustfield, heir to the Augustfield estate. It's been too long since I last saw you at a tourney, friend! We should storm the inn together when we reach the capital! What about the two of you? Please, tell us your names."

OOC

Horarth.jpg.ed178969cb539bdec4e0e75e6044f3d7.jpgHorarth Augustfield

Horarth's nostrils flare subtly on the word "heir", but by the end of Alfrid's sentence his expression is a puffed-up grin. "An educated man!" You all have heard Horarth namedrop his noble family at least a dozen times since the caravan first departed, and whatever schemes he had been pitching take a backseat as he stands practically sick with pride at having his status affirmed by someone who isn't him. "And this gentleman is Alfrid, of the Dannen family of noble warriors," he throws an arm around Alfrid in an overly familiar fashion. "You'd do well to remember that name, his tournament record is nothing to scoff at." 

While he could hear the antics of the others, Makial had better things to do with his time than play the empty boasting game. He nodded to the man that had answered him "So mostly benevolent, aye ?" But it wasn't really a question anymore. For this reason, and also because he was more and more looking forward to the challenge, the young monk had made his mind and would at least follow the knight's trail.

Which of course lead straight to the remark by Taunus, seemingly the only one with some common sense here. He walked toward the ranger, and nodded in agreement. "I agree. Let's go now. With the others too ?" and while he was skeptical, sometimes there could be safety in numbers. Otherwise he would just have an increasingly challenging task in front of him.

Taunus grabs a nut from the deerskin pouch on his belt and tosses it into his mouth. A moment later his lips part to reveal a shell between spiked teeth, which he spits into the undergrowth before savouring the contents. "Taunus," he grunts in reply to the two - it seemed - noble folk. "Of no last name," he adds, as if daring them to make something of it.

At the monks invitation, he finally moves, slinging his bow over his shoulder and dropping down off the top of the wagon on sprung legs. "If they're paying I'll come." He looks at the large and loud pair. "Too many folk'll keep us from being quiet," he adds, before turning to head into the forest proper. "We can see where they went leastways. Caravan will be easy to find again."