The Caravan

Nerian

spacer.png

The caravan drolls on, the wagons rock a bit back and forth from the bumps in the roadway, the trip has been awful quiet for the most part except for a couple of drunken fights, strangely no monsters have attacked.

Edited by Nerian (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

spacer.pngMAKIAL LATHERON

Having trained since birth in the Monastery of the Elements, Makial had at last been judged apt to leave and make his Masters, his Brothers and his Sisters proud. So far, he had only faced a couple of unplanned encounters with wolves, rabid vultures, goblins, and thugs that had proved educating indeed, but had also first proved him up to the task, so he was starting to feel a bit more confident.

The young man had been slowly making his way toward the Capital, Yuvia, where he intended to test his mettle against the very best of the Empire if he could. He was too humble to expect a victory, but certainly exposure to so many influences would help him keep on growing in his arts. Or that was his hopes at this point, at least.

Walking or trotting along the carts, he had noticed indeed how much safety the numbers had brought, because none of those previous threats had dared show up. He slightly worried that he would arrive at the capital undertrained, but on the other hand he would not be wounded either, so perhaps it was not so bad.

And so he walked, keeping an eye out for any sign of danger but not really expecting any, a young man heading for the Capital.

Horarth.jpg.ed178969cb539bdec4e0e75e6044f3d7.jpgHorarth Augustfield

Horarth sits on the back of a wagon, turning over a ring in his hands. Though his thin hair hangs over his face, the shiner he'd been given during one of those drunken scuffles is still plenty visible. The wagon hits a small bump and he fumbles with the ring, nearly dropping it. "HEY!" he shouts to the driver, "WATCH IT! I've got delicate cargo in this wagon."

He slips the ring into his pocket and sits up straight, suddenly conscious of his improper posture. As the wagons continue along the road, his eyes wander aimlessly to the passing roadside foliage, scanning for any potentially useful alchemical ingredients or particularly interesting bushes.

Yuvia is Horarth's shot at a fresh start, maybe the only one he'll be afforded. He can picture it now: the streets so clean you can eat off them, the buildings a mile tall, the civilized citizenry that will show him the proper respect and courtesy he deserves. He's certain it will be exactly as nice as he imagines it—maybe even better.

arie-hong-leo-as2token.jpg.109c8497f003db8236cd61fb80ee1a54.jpg
Alfrid Dannen

"...I don't remember what he said, but it made us giggle like a pair of loons, so he grabbed Edwane, dunked his head under the bath, and dragged him toward the door! Of course, Ed's not having it..."

Alfrid is in the middle of telling a bawdy tale while riding along with the wagons, boasting and socializing with common folk delighted to be in the company of a nobleman, regardless of how many sons were born before him, content to forget his responsibilities and be anywhere else but home.

Fairy.jpg.950d54214eca74013ceea4278217bc03.jpgEllie Fae Pixie Wanderer

Ellie awakens and stretches, climbing out of the sock she was using as a bedroll, hanging from the ceiling of one of the wagons. With a yawn, she flutters her wings, and flies about, looking around the wagons, taking in the sights of the other members of the convoy thoughtfully. So far, the trip has been rather boring, and so very slow, but its not like she's in a rush to get anywhere. One thing she has is time.

spacer.pngTaunus, Goblin Ranger

Taunus perches atop the lead wagon in a low squat, hands holding his longbow loosely as he scans the edges of the road for any signs of danger. The cart rolls beneath him, but he keeps his balance none-the-less, his head staying still as the world rotates around him. Things had been too quiet for his liking, not even the hint of a monster. Wasn't natural.

He wonders if something bigger's been scaring them away, or if there's some other trap he's missed. His ruby eyes flicked over the other members of the caravan again, seems like only one of them's worth their salt. The rest not paying attention. "See anything yet Monk?" he calls out for the third time that day, in a surprisingly gravelly voice given his size. Perhaps one of the wood pigeons might be able to shed some light. Otherwise it'll be good for the pot. His hand slowly crawls across his back towards the quiver slung there, and slides an arrow onto the willow bow.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

One of the thing Makial had learned firsthand thanks to the caravan was that not all goblins were uncivilized monsters ready to kill and rob at a moment's notice. It had come surprisingly naturally, after a couple of days.

"None. Nor heard either. I don't know what to make of it... It is not what I had been expecting." he replied calmly while still keeping his eyes on the outside.

As the moon rose, the caravan halted. The night air crackled with tension. Suddenly, torches flared to life, illuminating a band of mercenaries—masked, armored, and ruthless. Their leader, clad in midnight blue, stepped forward.

Listen well!” The voice echoed through the caravan. Was this some kind of magic amplifying his voice, you're not sure. “We seek the prince of the Celestrial Empire. Hand him over, and no harm shall befall the rest of you. Refuse, and blood will stain this land.

Ellie tosses her hands in the air, as she flutters about over the wagons. "Fine. I guess I knew this day would come," she says, and flies down to the group. "No need to protect me, I just have to face this, I suppose," she sighs to her fellow caravaneers.

Flying slowly towards the mercenaries, with as much dignity as she can muster, Ellie holds her hands up in surrender. "No need for bloodshed, I'll come peacefully. You can let everyone else go."

Alfrid Dannen

Alfrid looks around for the heir to Yuvia and the Empire. He doesn't see him. He looks up at the fairy with confusion, after all the brigands asked for a prince and perhaps she misheard. More than a little worried on her behalf, he starts counting heads in the group of bandits - that is what they are, surely - and turns his horse to ride close enough to see their leader's face, intending to make a good impression stall for the caravan guards to get organized.

(Or rather, he has a way with wenches.)

"Good evening, sirs. I am Alfrid Dannen. My father is Lord Eric Dannen. I believe you have us at a disadvantage. You say that the Prince is riding with this caravan? Surely you are mistaken. This would be the first I've heard of it, if that is truly the case."

OOC

Appearance and Cunning

Let me know if you think a different combination would be appropriate. Even if it's worse.

Edited by rorytheromulan (see edit history)
Name
Appearance and Cunning
4d10 1,8,6,1

Horarth.jpg.ed178969cb539bdec4e0e75e6044f3d7.jpgHorarth Augustfield

Horarth does his best to quietly slink into the wagon he was seated on, unnoticed (Agility and Stealth). Best case scenario, maybe they won't find him, and in the worst case... well, this is where he stored his Greek Fire.

Name
Agility and Stealth
3d10 5,3,7

spacer.pngTaunus, Goblin Ranger

Taunus grunts in answer to the monk, clearly unsatisfied with the reply. Whether this is because he doubts the answer, the skill of the answerer, or is just unhappy is unclear. He continues to glare through the undergrowth along their route, as if willing something to appear.

By the time the caravan eventually calls a halt the world is painted in monochrome. Little problem for his ruby-red eyes to still pick through the shadows, though the lack of colour is dull. He was about to give up his watch for the night - for even he needed to sleep occasionally - when his ride lurched to a halt, almost throwing him clear. He berated himself for not spotting the bandits in the trees before as the torches revealed the speaker. Taunus remained quiet, arrow still knocked against his bow. He watches their reaction as first the slightly pixie flew down with a story, and then the loudmouthed pretty boy spoke up in denial. Carefully, slowly, he pulls the last of the slack from his bowstring, ready to react if need be. He would defend the caravan without hesitation if blade was drawn, just like he'd stared done with the direwolves around his village.

Berating himself for not noticing this troop of mercenaries, Makial slowly walked to the right of the knight, facing their opponents as close as he could without triggering them. He knew not what would happen - the small Pixie's distraction being too unlikely - but he knew that he could not let them kill the caravan for no reason. If he had wanted training, now he seemed about to get it.

21 hours ago, KingGoblin said:

Ellie tosses her hands in the air, as she flutters about over the wagons. "Fine. I guess I knew this day would come," she says, and flies down to the group. "No need to protect me, I just have to face this, I suppose," she sighs to her fellow caravaneers.

Flying slowly towards the mercenaries, with as much dignity as she can muster, Ellie holds her hands up in surrender. "No need for bloodshed, I'll come peacefully. You can let everyone else go."

The man waves the pix away as if she was a bug that was annoying him.

12 hours ago, rorytheromulan said:

Alfrid Dannen

Alfrid looks around for the heir to Yuvia and the Empire. He doesn't see him. He looks up at the fairy with confusion, after all the brigands asked for a prince and perhaps she misheard. More than a little worried on her behalf, he starts counting heads in the group of bandits - that is what they are, surely - and turns his horse to ride close enough to see their leader's face, intending to make a good impression stall for the caravan guards to get organized.

(Or rather, he has a way with wenches.)

"Good evening, sirs. I am Alfrid Dannen. My father is Lord Eric Dannen. I believe you have us at a disadvantage. You say that the Prince is riding with this caravan? Surely you are mistaken. This would be the first I've heard of it, if that is truly the case."

OOC

Appearance and Cunning4d10 1,8,6,1 16

Let me know if you think a different combination would be appropriate. Even if it's worse.

The roll botched so no help with the roll.

The man looks at you, I have never heard of a Lord Eric Dannen, "Find me the prince and the remainder of the caravan can go free."

He then looks over you, "Prince Aldenar, show yourself so that none of these innocents get hurt."

Give me a Cunning + Perception roll to notice some things. In my game you can use other stats if you can justify the reasoning for using them. If you want to use different Scores or skills give me a reasonable explanation on how that would work.