Application Discussion and Question

Gregorotto

Welcome to the Application Discussion and Question section! Feel free to discuss character ideas, ask me questions, and just generally discuss things.

Below is a FAQ of games I've gotten in the past and questions I've thought of in advance just in case someone things of that. I'll update it based on the relevancy of questions to other players.

FAQ

This section contains frequently asked questions about Curse of Strahd and how I will be running the game. Use it as you like; this will grow as people ask questions.

• When is the deadline for characters?
    I begin selecting characters on Thursday, September 22nd, at 6PM EST. The process will likely not happen immediately, as even if there are only 5-7 applicants, that doesn't mean I'm going to automatically accept them. I believe in quality control, but I'm also going to actively give feedback during the process.

• What's the focus of this game? Role-play, combat, puzzles...?
    This game is heavily focused on role-play, in regards to every pillar of play. This does not mean you have to be verbose, it means making sure things happen and the action keeps moving. It does not mean short posts, either. Quality matters more than length in either direction. As for the pillars, this game does preference social interaction and combat, then favors exploration, and finally has a few fun puzzles here and again. If you're looking at the three pillars 5e focuses on, 40/40/20 for social, combat, and exploration. Clear as mud, right?

• What kind of stat method are you using?
    I give preference to standard array and point buy (standard array is a 27 point buy, technically). As mentioned elsewhere, don't make a character before you've been accepted. If there's enough interest, I can allow people to roll stats but that will be by group vote.

• Can I play [class/archetype/race/lineage]?
    A simple guide:
    Classes: All WotC-published class and class options are allowed, as long as they have been published by September 2022. This includes the CR class options (I'll even allow the Blood Hunter), but does not extend to Acquisitions Incorporated options/suggestions/tables. Unearthed Arcana will be considered on a case by case basis but will not include the Revised Ranger.
    Races and Lineages: I will be a little more restrictive here. This game begins in the Forgotten Realms and uses the D&D cosmology, but I will be leaving certain things out. For now, the following races are restricted: all Spelljammer races, Strixhaven and Theros races, Ravnica races that aren't in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse, Changelings, Githyanki, Githzerai, Haregon, Kalashtar, Verdan, Locathah, and Grung are restricted. All races not mentioned above are allowable (keep in mind some I don't mention by name, like Simic Hybrid, but are totally banned). Legacy content pre-MMotM are negotiable. We will be using Tasha's rules regarding stat allocation. With regards to Legacy: I will allow all three from Van Richten's to be used. No restrictions, but now you know.

• I don't know 5e, can I still apply?
    Absolutely, I love new players! I grade on writing and character potential, not knowledge of the system. I've trained new players before and I'd be fine with doing it again, though I'd prefer you tell me this in advance.

• I'm not familiar with the Forgotten Realms or Ravenloft, I don't read the literally hundreds of novels or play the video games; is that going to hold me back?

You assume I've read more than 5 books and played FR games beyond Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 (and Dark Alliance 1 and 2). You are not required to have any Realmslore. You don't have to know who Drizzt or Elminster are, know any gods beyond what's relevant to your character (and even then you can be a neophyte both in and out of character). I bring up the setting because I know some people are lorehounds, and I will use the setting to our advantage rather than our detriment. For a long time I refused to roleplay in 3e Realms, because there was just too much to know. We today have the advantage of the Wiki and I have time to listen to things via Audible

The same applies to Ravenloft, which is murkier in continuity.

If you are a lorehound, check below for another question you might find relevant.

• What's the post rate for this game?
    Currently undetermined and unknown, as games start off enthusiastically but they tend to stop being so frequent after about two weeks, as well as the fact I haven't accepted any players yet. I'm not setting a rate, just a minimum of once/week for me. Players can post and interact more quickly if it makes sense for the scene.

• Will you review my character? :3
    Request a review when you've finished or if you're stuck on something, and I'll happy provide what help I can.

• What's the limit on number of characters I can apply with?
    One character per game, though I might also allow a multiple character application using a Background like the Knight, if it's an exceptional character.

• Did X event happen in your Forgotten Realms?
    I get it, you hate the Spellplague or Time of Troubles. I am setting my game in 1489 DR, and the events from 1e to 5e have all happened: the Time of Troubles, the Rage of Dragons, the Return of Netheril, the Spellplague, the destruction of Neverwinter, and finally the Second Sundering which is technically an ongoing event in 1489. Not all of this is common knowledge: your character should not have advanced knowledge of the Sundering, as it largely happened on a scale most characters cannot comprehend: but if you worship a deity like Azuth, Mystra, or Deneir, you might be aware of your god's return. Remember scale: you're a level 1 character. Make that work with your character. Level 1 does not mean 15 year old with a heart of gold, it can also mean 54 year old finally seeking a life of adventure after a whole life as a guild artisan or farmer.

Now, if your question is X adventure from 5e has happened or is happening concurrently, Out of the Abyss, Lost Mines of Phandelver, Tyranny of Dragons, and Princes of the Apocalypse are either complete or mostly complete. Others, like Tomb of Annihilation, Storm King's Thunder, and Rime of the Frostmaiden, are beginning or in full swing, but are irrelevant to our game mostly. Yet others like Descent into Avernus have not yet even started. If this is speaking to you in any way, you're as weird as I am.

• What about Ravenloft continuity?
    Yeah, what about Ravenloft continuity? Criminey, it's a hot mess these days. But always was, if you recall anything about 2e and 3e. For the purposes of this game, I will be setting my Curse of Strahd in 5e continuity with some adjustments to bring in things from 2e I liked. Now, what of some of the political changes they've made? I agree with most all of them, but some I will be ignoring or adjusting to fit my needs. To reveal these would betray some of the campaign I'm running. The Vistani remain, but I do not invite anyone to use other terms for them. I will be using some 2e lore regarding how they act and their culture, but will also be doing my own thing. Most Vistani will be human, but not all. If you would like to ask me privately questions regarding lore, as they pertain to your Forgotten Realms-living character, I will be happy to supply those answers, privately.

A general idea of how I'm mixing and matching: Forlorn's new take is novel and interesting but I love 2e Forlorn. Thus I will fuse the Celtic apocalyptic with the mechanical terror of 5e, underdeveloped as it is. The Carnival, mixed between 2e and 5e, may appear in Barovia, while it's highly unlikely the Cyre 1313 will be passing through any time soon. Geographically the game won't leave Barovia until it's complete, but there may be references that mention Domains from 2e but use the 5e method of travel and continuity (as in, I will probably be ignoring the Core as a concept). I will also be using some ideas given by the Mist Hunter Adventure League game, as it fuses 2e and 5e wonderfully but falls apart at the end beyond offering an explanation about the discrepancies in gender, in continuity, and in characterization.

Most of this is irrelevant, but here we are.

• I want to play a class or character where deities are relevant. Do you have any suggestions?
    Why yes, yes I do. Without delving into spoilers, the following Forgotten Realms deities would serve me well, listed in no particular order: Lathander, Selûne, Torm, Tyr, Ilmater, Kelemvor, Red Knight, Amaunator, Mystra, Azuth, Savras, Oghma, Deneir, Eldath, Helm, Hoar, Leira, Llira, and for the especially spicy, Bane, Shar, Malar, and Bhaal, but keep in mind: heroic. You can make a compelling character with those last four, but that's up to you.
  • I have a cool character idea, but it doesn't work for the Forgotten Realms. Is that a dealbreaker?
    My preference is that your character be from Toril simply because that's easier to work with. That said, I am not opposed to non-Torilites somehow ending up in Barovia. So run the idea by me first, and if I approve of the idea, I may allow you a non-Torilite start. Chapter 1 will have all the characters meeting together, but Chapter 0 does not require that. But, again: it would be easier on me and my DM brain if you weren't from anywhere but Toril. If you want to be from another D&D world, that will require approval from me too. Some worlds are easier to mix in than others, and some worlds I don't know at all like Exandria or the MtG worlds.

Edited by Gregorotto (see edit history)

2 hours ago, yxanthymir said:

Point buy or dice roll for characters? I absolutely hate dice rolling in 5ed, so I need to know before making a character.

EDIT: Never mind. I found it. 

I'm partial to the fairness of point buy or stat array (which is point buy but the numbers have been averaged for you), and will only allow the rolling of dice if democracy prevails, so I'm with you there.

23 hours ago, XXIT said:

What level do we start on?

The game will start at level 1, and use Death House to progress quickly.

Also, unrelated: if you're done, let me know here so I know when to examine your applications. I'm making a point of not looking until they're done or I'm requested to based on PMs.

1 hour ago, Gregorotto said:

Also, unrelated: if you're done, let me know here so I know when to examine your applications. I'm making a point of not looking until they're done or I'm requested to based on PMs.

In that case, I believe Haweswin is pretty much done. Only got one name under character opinions as I wanted to wait till the list stopped expanding xD