Cost  Name
11 The Fortune of The Fluke: Money: Filthy Rich

2 You Know Me, I'm The Fluke: Positive Reputation (Soverign City) 14-, +1/+1d6

13 Total Perks Cost

POWERS
Cost  Power END
35 The Fabulous Fortune of The Fluke Luck 7d6 0
15 Damaging Discs of Destiny Blast 6d6 3
8 The Furious Fists of The Fluke: Hand-To-Hand Attack +5d6 (25 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4) 2
24 Can't Seem To Hit Him: Resistant Protection (8PD/8ED) 0

109 Total Powers Cost

Character Name: Charles Martinez
Alternate Identities: The Fluke
Player Name: RagallachMC
herologo.jpg
Complications
Cost  Disadvantage
15 Social Complication: Public Identity Very Frequently, Minor
15 Psychological Complication-Showoff: (Common; Strong)
15 Psychological Complication-Self Promotional: (Very Common; Moderate)
5 Dependent NPC-Personal Assistant: Victoria Swanson Infrequently (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)

10 Custom Complication
Notes: Charles Martinez is the Owner of Heroix, an app based company that allows people to hire superheroes. Currently the app is only available in Soverign City and The Fluke is the only Hero available, but he hopes to scale up in the future. The Fluke will have to respond to any calls that are put through the app. He also has to manage the business and is in the process of rolling out an advertising campaign throughout Soverign City

60 Total Disadvantages Cost
APPEARANCE
Hair Color:  
Eye Color:  
Height:  
Weight:  
Description:

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

TheFluke2.png.3eac5c95ae692e30c37349aaeffd73ff.png

The Fluke

Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record

Other Aliases: None

Place of Birth: Sovereign City, Virginia

Marital Status: Single

Known Relatives: Diego & Susanna Martinez (parents)

Group Affiliation: None

Base of Operations: Sovereign City

First Appearance: Shadows of the City #1

History: The Fluke is a super-hero who lives in Sovereign City. From a young age, he excelled at sports and became a multi-sport athlete. He was given a full ride scholarship to Sovereign's University to play baseball. He was a great baseball player and elevated the team into division contenders. While attending University he discovered a sport that he had never played before: disc golf. As a natural athlete, he took to the game well but soon started to show immense skill. He joined the University's disc golf team and propelled them to a national championship. He also gained regional and national fame when he was selected for the US Olympic Disc Golf team and brought home a gold metal. After graduating University with a degree in business, he joined the PDGA tour and soon began to dominate the sport. He was often referred to as the 'Tiger Woods of disc golf'. Sponsors lined up for him to advertise their gear and he soon began to make more money from endorsements than from playing the sport. This went on for four years, until the day that changed his life...

On his way to a publicity event and fan signing in Uptown, the area was hit by a super-villain attack. In the chaos of the attack, he did what he could to get other people to safety. Taking shelter in a warehouse space, Charles Martinez was hit with a strange energy beam and flung into a pallet of chemical drums. He lost consciousness and was not discovered by authorities until the attack was put down by local heroes. Recovering in the hospital the next day, he began to feel strange. As an athlete, he was in tune with his body and he began to feel a power to his muscles that he had never felt before. The doctors ran him through a series of tests and determined that he had somehow gained superpowers. Most people would be excited by this news, but Charles was not. Like all professional sports leagues, the PDGA had a strict 'No Supers' rule. His professional career was over. His publicist set up a press conference where he made the announcement of his retirement from professional athletics. During the Q&A, a reporter asked if he would become a super hero, now that he had powers. The idea had not occurred to him until then. Seizing on the oppurtunity, he said 'Yes, of course. The attack that caused this was terrible. People were hurt and killed. It was only through sheer luck that I wasn't killed too. A total fluke. That's why I'll begin patrolling our streets as...The Fluke!'

It took several weeks to put together a costume and weapons based on discs from disc golf, but The Fluke did begin patrolling the streets of Sovereign City. He had some minor successes, but he soon came to discover the problem that all heroes must deal with: How do you make money as a super hero? He had a big house in Atherton Bluffs, a membership to Port Aro Country Club, multiple cars, a publicist and an agent. How was he going to pay for all of this?! He had a fancy business degree from Sovereign's University and several million dollars in various Trusts and holding accounts. Surely he could figure something out? His solution was to try to monetize the super-hero experience. When ordinary people call 911, they get an ordinary response: Fire, EMT and Police. But what if they need an extraordinary response? Enter Heroix. Heroix is an app-based super-hero hiring company. Users can download the app and when they need a super-hero, they can put in a request that gives their location and a brief description of their situation. Pricing is based on the severity of the situation and the number of heroes requested. Charles spent a year developing the company, working with a software team to develop the app and finally launching the company. He sold his house in Atherton Bluffs and liquidated some other holdings to finance the operation. A series of billboards with The Fluke's picture popped up around the city when the app launched. "Need a Hero? Heroix.com" or "Struggling with Super-Villains? Download the Heroix app now!" The app is currently live, but only available in Soverign City and only The Fluke can be chosen. He hopes to scale up and offer the service to a bigger area with more heroes, but he needs to get more heroes on board first. Going out and making connections in the super-hero community and promoting the brand are his main goals. He envisions a world where a hero is just an app click away for anybody, anywhere. He has hired Victoria Swanson as his personal Assistant/COO of the company. She runs the day-to day operations out of a small industrial suite in Riverside which also doubles as The Fluke's homebase and literal home.

Powers: The Fluke bends probability fields. He's Lucky...very lucky. This allows incredibly unlikely effects to happen in The Fluke's favor. He has no control over the power and it works even if he isn't consciously willing it or if he's unconscious. This luck also manifests as an ability to avoid most types of damage. Shots, blasts, punches, etc. don't seem to hit him squarely and often leave minimal damage.

He is supremely acrobatic- speed, agility, dexterity, flexibility, reflexes/reactions, coordination, and balance are all above normal human ranges.

The Fluke carries several ring-like discs stored in his belt and one held on the ring in his chest. He hurls these discs with inhuman accuracy or in some cases, completely dependent on his luck powers. Although the rings are made from metal, and are quite resistant to damage, they are able to bounce and ricochet of off hard surfaces. The fluke uses these qualities to make amazing trick shots.

The Fluke is strong for his size, able to lift ~450lbs. He is proficient in a few styles of unarmed combat.

Edited by RagallachMC (see edit history)

1. What is your experience with the Hero System Rules?

I'm not sure what edition I played, but my friends and I ran through a small campaign in the 90's. One of my friends had the rulebook on CD-Rom and I remember printing the entire thing out and spiral binding it. I definitely spent waaaaay more time generating characters then playing.

2. What is your experience with PbP?
I honestly can't remember my first pbp game, but it was probably a 2/2.5 edition of D&D. I played in a couple on 3rdedition<dot>org when that was a thing. I've done Traveller, Shadowrun, FFG Star Wars, Blades in the Dark, D&D and others over the years. I've only been on MW for a month or so. I hadn't done a pbp in awhile and I was itching to jump back in.

3. What is your Role-playing Experience (overall, PbP and otherwise)? And, what makes a game "good"?
I was really into comic books from birth, and the local store had a section for minis and games. I remeber seeing the red box D&D and thinking it looked really cool. I bought it with money from my birthday. None of my friends at the time had any interest in it, so I would just roll up characters and draw maps and pictures of characters and monsters. It just grew from there. The original Shadowrun book. Rogue Trader. Traveller.  I spent my teens and early 20's playing all sorts of rpgs, ccgs and miniature games.

As you get older and people get jobs and families, it's harder to find a stable group to game with. That's why I've liked pbp's over the years. They're not as good as f2f roleplaying, but they scatch the itch. I enjoy the writing aspect of pbps too.

Like every cooperative endeavor, a good pbp experience is determined by the individuals. People who are open-minded, kind and generous make for a good experience. Those that aren't make for a bad experience.

4. Please link me a couple examples of your Roleplaying here at the Weave (preferred). If no examples, be sure to post an "RP" in the open RP thread (when I get one up) I'd like to see a sample of your game-style writing.
Playing Sketvid the Barbarian

Playing Vigdan the Rogue

5. Tell me about a couple of your favorite characters you've actually played (in PBP or even in TT) and why you enjoyed those characters so much.
in 3rd ed. D&D, I played a Fighter from a barbarian tribe that fell in with a group of adventurers. They ended up fighting a demon outbreak and through a magical mishap, he ended up with a permanent set of bird's wings. It was totally crazy and random and changed the character completely. His ability to fly saved everyone's butts many times.

I was in an Alternity (remember that!) game where I played a down on his luck ex Sniper. He was a total mess of a human, but he always came through when the chips were down. Some really memorable rp'ing moments of him being a jerk to everybody.

6. Name (do not use the "mention" function) one or more players 'applying' for this game ("Shadows of the City") whom you would like to be accepted (Other than yourself, obviously you want to be accepted or you'd just withdraw) into this game and why you would like to play with them here. (example reasons. Good Character concept that fits well with yours, Played with them before and they are a good RPer, They are Helpful, whatever). Please be sure to put this response in a private tag for myself (if left blank, private tags are still viewable by the GM). Please use the Private tags. I don't want anyone's feelings to get hurt. Also, you may need to come back to this later after seeing who has applied.

7. Describe your desired character for me
I'm thinking about a Luck based character. A good-looking, charismatic character where everything just goes their way. Thinking an ex-athlete of some kind, maybe semi-famous. Not sure what kind of weapons yet. Leaning towards thrown weapons.

The Fluke is a really dumb sounding super hero name, but it makes me laugh. Going with that unless something better comes to me.

Your d love into this delicious hobby sounds a lot like mine 😎

I don't know, The Fluke isn't bad and I think it's truly original... At least I haven't heard it as a name before.

I like the lucky ex-athlete angle.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm concerned that 3d6 (and a little better with HTH) won't be enough damage. You'll average 11 stun which may or may not deal any damage to any but mooks and normals. Well, 5 1/2d6 HTH damage isn't bad, but that's all of it. Since he's a melee fighter, a couple more DCs might help with your martial maneuvers. How much are you thinking you are going to rely on Luck? The Luck Rolls are activated by the GM calling for them.

Also, I may be missing something but it seems like you have 100 points for Characteristics, 113 for powers, 32 for skills, and 13 for Perks. That's 258. You may have 42 more points to spend, though the character totals read 300 in the points section so I fee like I'm missing something.

Also, with your wealth, I'm not going to require that point for the motorcycle. I'm basically granting stuff based on wealth when its basically common... a 'Bat-Mobile', no, that's a little 'more' than common/normal, even for the very rich. But at 10 wealth, you probably have half a dozen motorcycles and a few cars (and probably some of those motor cycles stashed in private garages around the city).

I built him with the Hero software, so I’ll have to pull that up and double check that everything adds up. I’ll give back the point for the vehicle .

Having ‘DM fiat’ powers is always strange. I’m spending a bunch a points on it so it should come up often, but not so much that it nullifies any challenge. What are your thoughts on it?

Put those in as Notes in the Hero Designer where it can be done or just add it to the bottom on the character sheet in the post. A lot of this stuff, like cell phones, everyone has so I'm not charging points. Just denote what you want (which could be a lot for you since your character is wealthy) when its something specific. You have transportation... but you want it to be a Ducati or some other b@d @$$ motorcycle. Well, your toon can afford that, easy.

First things first, I did a big tweak on his sheet. Upped his OCV/DCV and damage output. Reduced his luck dice a bit, and some of the damge resist, but gave him Combat Luck. Spent the 1 point I had leftover to give him the top tier wealth. So he's batman level rich now.😄

I'll make a list of equipment/toys that he'll have readily available. He'll have some sort of custom built street bike for his normal superhero doings.